"Keep connection alive" program

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Apr 23, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Martin R. Howell <> wrote in
    news::

    > Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
    > program link for this dial up user? The ones I have tried so far
    > don't quite cut it.

    They're nonsence. The best way is to *not* install your ISP's software and
    manually create a dial-up adapter from scratch. Then you make sure you
    have *nothing* running in the background, shorten your phone cord to less
    than 10' with no splits in it. If there's still a problem, it's either the
    ISP cutting you off - some do, I've seen it happen with a countdown timer
    no less - or your phone line that's the problem.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 23, 2009

  2. Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
    program link for this dial up user? The ones I have tried so far
    don't quite cut it.

    Thanks in advance.

    Martin R. Howell
    Moderated sci.astro.amateur Forum and Arcade
    www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org

    Martin R. Howell, Apr 23, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The Martin R. Howell Post:

    Have you tried all of these: http://xrl.in/we

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo, Apr 23, 2009
  4. chuckcar

    thanatoid Guest

    Martin R. Howell <>
    wrote in news::

    > Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection
    > alive program link for this dial up user? The ones I have
    > tried so far don't quite cut it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    There are LOTS. Try some more or get an ISP that doesn't
    disconnect you. Jeez.

    I was on 33.6 dial-up until 8 months ago so I sympathize, but MY
    dumb ISP only cut me off every 8 hrs - I know some do it after 5
    minutes of inactivity. So I can't recommend one since I never
    needed one, although I /have/ seem some that /seemed/ very good.
    I'm sorry I dont; tremember where.

    Google for "auto dialup reconnector" opr something and you;ll
    get... (well, why not try it ;-) 52,300 hits or "keep dial-up
    connected" 10,300,000 hits

    Here's one, but you have to have a browser with Java enabled
    open for it to work. But you don't even have to install it.
    http://www.sector101.fsnet.co.uk/keepalive/

    This one looks even better:
    http://www.topshareware.com/BySoft-StayAlive-Pro-download-
    36242.htm

    Or you could write a ping script to run automatically every x
    minutes to your ISP so they don't think you went to sleep. It
    /sounds/ like you'd be capable of doing it.

    --
    (Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
    I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with

    thanatoid, Apr 23, 2009
  5. chuckcar

    thanatoid Guest

    "nobody >" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Beware... I've heard of some aggressive dialup providers
    > (Earthlink for one)

    Fucking Scientologists... Big surprise...

    thanatoid, Apr 23, 2009
  6. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:57:10 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >One trick I used to use on dialup was to find a webcam somewhere that
    >refreshed every minute or so. That seems to trick the ISP into
    >thinking you're surfing.

    Well, that wouldn't be a webcam if you need to 'refresh' now would it?

    If you're going to do that, just use Firefox and a refresh every
    plugin.

    Evan Platt, Apr 23, 2009
  7. chuckcar

    Tony Guest

    They cut you off because you were dumb enough to subscribe to dial-up service
    in CanaDUH. Try any other city in any other country in the world and you'll
    find out dial-up works perfectly.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Apr 23, 2009
  8. chuckcar

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Martin R. Howell wrote:
    > Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
    > program link for this dial up user?

    Ping

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 23, 2009
  9. chuckcar

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > Martin R. Howell <> wrote in
    >
    >> Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
    >> program link for this dial up user? The ones I have tried so far
    >> don't quite cut it.
    >>

    > They're nonsence. The best way is to *not* install your ISP's software and
    > manually create a dial-up adapter from scratch. Then you make sure you
    > have *nothing* running in the background, shorten your phone cord to less
    > than 10' with no splits in it. If there's still a problem, it's either the
    > ISP cutting you off - some do, I've seen it happen with a countdown timer
    > no less - or your phone line that's the problem.

    ROFL! Priceless, absolutely priceless.

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 23, 2009
  10. chuckcar

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The richard Post:
    > On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:12:03 -0500, OldGringo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Martin R. Howell Post:
    >>> Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
    >>> program link for this dial up user? The ones I have tried so far
    >>> don't quite cut it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >>> Martin R. Howell
    >>> Moderated sci.astro.amateur Forum and Arcade
    >>> www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org

    >> Have you tried all of these: http://xrl.in/we

    > That link calls ug google.
    >
    > try using tinyurl.com

    I just switched, but when google comes up, just type in Keep dial up
    connection alive, and bingo, the information super highway is at your
    fingertips. <g> Only knowing the guy is on dial up and nothing else I
    would hate to guess as to what might solve his problem. Here's a new
    one for me: > http://tinyurl.com/8tmyz

    OldGringo, Apr 23, 2009
  11. chuckcar

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 02:28:45 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > nonsence

    Why do you still insist on misspelling that word despite the number of
    times it has been pointed out as being spelt wrongly by a number of
    others?

    Aardvark, Apr 23, 2009
  12. chuckcar

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:
    > On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 02:28:45 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> nonsense

    > Why do you still insist on misspelling that word despite the number of
    > times it has been pointed out as being spelled wrongly by a number of
    > others?

    Looks ok here along with the word spelt <G>

    OldGringo, Apr 23, 2009
  13. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:51:29 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >Why do you still insist on misspelling that word despite the number of
    >times it has been pointed out as being spelt wrongly by a number of
    >others?

    He still spells English "english".

    Chucktard has to be one biggest idiots in this group. And that says a
    lot.

    Evan Platt, Apr 23, 2009
  14. chuckcar

    VanguardLH Guest

    Martin R. Howell wrote:

    > Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
    > program link for this dial up user? The ones I have tried so far
    > don't quite cut it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    That might help with circumventing an idle timeout but then you weren't
    issuing any traffic for that long. You are asking to keep alive a
    connection that isn't being used.

    It won't do anything to circumvent a max session timeout (i.e., how long
    you can remain actively connected). For example, even when keeping the
    session non-idle, the dial-up provider might still decide to kill your
    session after 4 hours of continuous connect time. They probably do not
    guarantee continuous service. Most don't.

    > Martin R. Howell
    > Moderated sci . astro . amateur Forum and Arcade
    > www . moderatedsciastroamateur . org

    Oh, so you really weren't asking for help. Instead you were spamming
    your web site and not even polite enough to put it into a signature.

    VanguardLH, Apr 23, 2009
  15. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    OldGringo <> wrote in

    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:
    >> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 02:28:45 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> nonsense

    >> Why do you still insist on misspelling that word despite the number of
    >> times it has been pointed out as being spelled wrongly by a number of
    >> others?
    >>

    > Looks ok here along with the word spelt <G>

    Indeed. Brought to you from a country that thinks jijawatts is a word.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 23, 2009
  16. chuckcar

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The chuckcar Post:
    > OldGringo <> wrote in
    >
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:

    >>> Why do you still insist on misspelling that word despite the number of
    >>> times it has been pointed out as being spelled wrongly by a number of
    >>> others?
    >>>

    >> Looks ok here along with the word spelt <G>
    >>

    > Indeed. Brought to you from a country that thinks jijawatts is a word.

    LMAO

    OldGringo, Apr 23, 2009
  17. On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:05:06 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Oh, so you really weren't asking for help. Instead you were spamming
    >your web site and not even polite enough to put it into a signature.

    On the contrary, my connection frequently gets dropped while playing
    the golf game, ShotOnline.

    And you, Mr. Flamer, are not even polite enough to give people the
    benefit of the doubt. The signature line I use, as badly thrown
    together as you may think, is my default one. The problem with it is
    yours. Not mine.

    I did get some excellent leads here and found that the java one,
    provided by OldGringo, works quite well.

    Rude people like you give Usenet a bad name.

    So long. PLONK

    Martin R. Howell, Apr 24, 2009
  18. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:36:00 -0700, Martin R. Howell
    <> wrote:

    >On the contrary, my connection frequently gets dropped while playing
    >the golf game, ShotOnline.

    If your connection gets dropped while playing an online golf game,
    it's time to talk to your ISP. An online game sends data.

    >And you, Mr. Flamer, are not even polite enough to give people the
    >benefit of the doubt. The signature line I use, as badly thrown
    >together as you may think, is my default one. The problem with it is
    >yours. Not mine.

    What I believe VanguardLH was saying is your signature isn't in proper
    signature format - which is two dashes, a space, and a carriage
    return, such as myne is.

    Evan Platt, Apr 24, 2009
  19. chuckcar

    VanguardLH Guest

    Martin R. Howell wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:05:06 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >

    >>Oh, so you really weren't asking for help. Instead you were spamming
    >>your web site and not even polite enough to put it into a signature.

    > On the contrary, my connection frequently gets dropped while playing
    > the golf game, ShotOnline.

    Then the "ping" programs won't help, either. Their point is to generate
    some traffic so your connection does not appear to be idle. Since you
    are getting disconnected when not idle, you have exceeded the max
    session duration at your dial-up ISP or you have crappy telco lines with
    lots of noise that makes it difficult to discern packets from noise,
    lots of packets get dropped, or your telco is disconnecting your session
    for too long with its multiplexing of multiple calls over the same wire.

    The point of download managers that include a resume function (provided
    the file server also supports it) was to account for the poor
    reliability and low quality of using telco lines for data transmission.
    It's also possible there is some additional switching equipment between
    you and the telco service. For example, some apartment complexes feed
    their front-door ringer for each unit through the telephone lines. When
    someone rings your apartment, the telco service gets disconnected to
    make the connection for the ringer that uses the same twisted wires. As
    I recall, PBX'es also get in the way of dial-up calls.

    So it could be that you are exceeding their max session duration (which
    is independent of their idle timeout), crappy phone lines, or equipment
    that interferes with data transmits over an voice-quality line.

    > And you, Mr. Flamer, are not even polite enough to give people the
    > benefit of the doubt. The signature line I use, as badly thrown
    > together as you may think, is my default one. The problem with it is
    > yours. Not mine.

    But it is NOT a signature. A signature is delimited by a sigdash line
    ("-- "). So, in fact, your "signature" was in the *body* of your
    message. You are using Forte Agent. That newsreader client should know
    how to properly attach signatures. Something is misconfigured in Agent
    for it to not include the sigdash line to delimit your signature.

    > Rude people like you give Usenet a bad name.

    A rude dial-up users abusing the ISP is why others have problems
    establishing a connection because you don't relinquish your connection.
    It certainly sounds like you intend to keep a session active and do so
    continuously whether you use the connection or not. The utilities you
    are asking about won't help with session terminations while the
    connection is active. They are used to keep a session active that is
    NOT being used. Since those were the utilities you were asking about,
    you were asking about how to abuse your dial-up service by keeping alive
    your idle sessions.

    VanguardLH, Apr 24, 2009
  20. chuckcar

    Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 02:28:45 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> nonsence

    >Why do you still insist on misspelling that word despite the number of
    >times it has been pointed out as being spelt wrongly by a number of
    >others?

    It's a Latin word, so it's ok.
    --

    Odd sculptures