    to find any site which compares the two versions so I came here, albeit
    at the last minute.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Dick Sidbury

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:44:45 -0400, Dick Sidbury wrote:

    > I'm finishing up my third order to DDD for their 20% off sale and would
    > like opinions about which version of The General I should buy. The most
    > likely candidates seem to be the Kino Edition which includes two shorts,
    > and the Image Edition which also includes Steamboat Bill. I can't seem
    > to find any site which compares the two versions so I came here, albeit
    > at the last minute.

    Here's a site that compares the two, along with 2 foreign editions:

    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare5/thegeneral.htm

    -Jay
    Jay G., Jun 25, 2005

  3. Dick Sidbury wrote:

    > I'm finishing up my third order to DDD for their 20% off sale and would
    > like opinions about which version of The General I should buy. The most
    > likely candidates seem to be the Kino Edition which includes two shorts,
    > and the Image Edition which also includes Steamboat Bill. I can't seem
    > to find any site which compares the two versions so I came here, albeit
    > at the last minute.

    Speaking by general default, Kino is the Criterion of silent films--
    Not too many extras, but treats the print right.

    Image is no lazy slouch either, but can be a mixed bag of either
    restored or just PD dumped, and can't speak for this one.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Derek Janssen wrote:

    > Dick Sidbury wrote:
    >
    >> I'm finishing up my third order to DDD for their 20% off sale and
    >> would like opinions about which version of The General I should buy.
    >> The most likely candidates seem to be the Kino Edition which includes
    >> two shorts, and the Image Edition which also includes Steamboat Bill.
    >> I can't seem to find any site which compares the two versions so I
    >> came here, albeit at the last minute.

    > Speaking by general default, Kino is the Criterion of silent films--
    > Not too many extras, but treats the print right.
    >
    > Image is no lazy slouch either, but can be a mixed bag of either
    > restored or just PD dumped, and can't speak for this one.

    (...Hmm, on second look, the Image *does* seem to be the newer version.
    And if it *is* the Alloy Orchestra version shown on TCM, disregard
    earlier message.) :)

    Derek Janssen (sorry 'bout that)
    Derek Janssen, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Dick Sidbury

    Billy Joe Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote:
    > I'm finishing up my third order to DDD for their 20% off sale
    > and
    > would like opinions about which version of The General I
    > should buy. The most likely candidates seem to be the Kino
    > Edition which includes
    > two shorts, and the Image Edition which also includes
    > Steamboat Bill.
    > I can't seem to find any site which compares the two versions
    > so I
    > came here, albeit at the last minute.
    >
    > dick

    As a more than casual Kino customer, I'm biased toward their
    quality (tho a tad pricey).

    BJ
    Billy Joe, Jun 25, 2005
  6. On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:20:44 -0700, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Derek Janssen wrote:
    >
    >> Dick Sidbury wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm finishing up my third order to DDD for their 20% off sale and
    >>> would like opinions about which version of The General I should buy.
    >>> The most likely candidates seem to be the Kino Edition which includes
    >>> two shorts, and the Image Edition which also includes Steamboat Bill.
    >>> I can't seem to find any site which compares the two versions so I
    >>> came here, albeit at the last minute.

    >> Speaking by general default, Kino is the Criterion of silent films--
    >> Not too many extras, but treats the print right.
    >>
    >> Image is no lazy slouch either, but can be a mixed bag of either
    >> restored or just PD dumped, and can't speak for this one.

    >(...Hmm, on second look, the Image *does* seem to be the newer version.
    >And if it *is* the Alloy Orchestra version shown on TCM, disregard
    >earlier message.) :)

    The Image version is a bit better, slightly sharper and less cropping
    of the image. As for the quality of Silent film releases, Kino has
    been doing it a long time, and well, but then Image carries the
    Milestone releases, the best there is.

    .. Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 25, 2005
  7. Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:

    >>(...Hmm, on second look, the Image *does* seem to be the newer version.
    >>And if it *is* the Alloy Orchestra version shown on TCM, disregard
    >>earlier message.) :)

    > The Image version is a bit better, slightly sharper and less cropping
    > of the image. As for the quality of Silent film releases, Kino has
    > been doing it a long time, and well, but then Image carries the
    > Milestone releases, the best there is.

    Was wondering more about the Alloy soundtrack on the Image--
    Caught just pieces of of "Steamboat" and "Navigator" on Turner Classic
    with new scores, and just assumed these were them.
    (With divided reviews on Amazon, though.)

    Of course, the M2K's (from the makers of the Warner Chaplins) have the
    best print restoration, but hadn't heard whether they were headed for R1.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jun 26, 2005
  8. Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Of course, the M2K's (from the makers of the Warner Chaplins) have the
    > best print restoration, but hadn't heard whether they were headed for R1.

    ....and if they are, whether the R1 versions will have the same conversion
    frame-blurring artifacts that are present on the MK2 Chaplin releases.

    doug

    --
    "Well, I thought I knew all about everything, but I was wrong..."
    --Robyn Hitchcock
    Douglas Bailey, Jun 26, 2005