KDE4 - anyone happily using it ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Apr 30, 2008.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all...Just wondering if any KDE4 users are enjoying the experience.

    It was one of the things I was looking forward to in last weeks Ubuntu
    Hardy release but it's a major disappointment.

    Konqueror crashes if you sneeze while using it.
    Dolphin is a featureless substitute for a file manager.

    Plasma truly truly truly sucks. I appreciate there are valid reasons for
    Kicker being superceded but Plasma truly sucks. And there's talk of it
    not being suck-less until KDE Version 4.4

    Manual editing of config files (!!!) to get a clean desktop. (You what?)

    I know it's pretty ungrateful of me to complain about free software but I
    now know how those Windows "power users" feel when they come to Linux and
    fall flat on their faces. They moan about everything, blame everything
    but their own shortcomings and flounce off back to Windows. I'm doing
    pretty much the same thing cos I've downgraded back to my highly
    personalised KDE 3.5.9 setup and am happy once again.

    Anyone else having fun using it?

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Apr 30, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <fv8i7c$ba0$>, Lodi did write:

    > It was one of the things I was looking forward to in last weeks Ubuntu
    > Hardy release but it's a major disappointment.


    Was it the default installation? Even the KDE developers agree it's still a
    work in progress--I'm surprised Ubuntu would inflict it on users without
    asking.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:53:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <fv8i7c$ba0$>, Lodi did write:
    >
    >> It was one of the things I was looking forward to in last weeks Ubuntu
    >> Hardy release but it's a major disappointment.

    >
    > Was it the default installation? Even the KDE developers agree it's
    > still a work in progress--I'm surprised Ubuntu would inflict it on users
    > without asking.


    I'm not sure if it's the default for Kubuntu as I use Ubuntu with the KDM
    desktop manager (or the K Desktop Manager to be precise).

    After I upgraded to Hardy via the Update Manager the options of "KDE
    (previous)" and "KDE4" were listed on my log-in screen.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Apr 30, 2008
    #3
  4. In article <fv8qt3$cod$>, Lodi did write:

    > After I upgraded to Hardy via the Update Manager the options of "KDE
    > (previous)" and "KDE4" were listed on my log-in screen.


    Ah. So you still have the choice of KDE 3.5.x? My advice is to avoid KDE
    4.0.x for serious work--use it only to try out. I think the developers are
    aiming for 4.1 to be the first full-featured release.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
    #4
  5. In article <fv8i7c$ba0$>, Lodi <> wrote:
    <snip>
    >
    >Anyone else having fun using it?


    I'm quite happy with the previous version ... and why would anyone use
    version 0.9 (or even 1.0.0 :) ) of anything ?
    Was there some 'gee whiz' thing you were expecting ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 30, 2008
    #5
  6. In article <fv8qt3$cod$>, Lodi <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:53:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <fv8i7c$ba0$>, Lodi did write:
    >>> It was one of the things I was looking forward to in last weeks Ubuntu
    >>> Hardy release but it's a major disappointment.

    >>
    >> Was it the default installation? Even the KDE developers agree it's
    >> still a work in progress--I'm surprised Ubuntu would inflict it on users
    >> without asking.

    >
    >I'm not sure if it's the default for Kubuntu as I use Ubuntu with the KDM
    >desktop manager (or the K Desktop Manager to be precise).
    >
    >After I upgraded to Hardy via the Update Manager the options of "KDE
    >(previous)" and "KDE4" were listed on my log-in screen.


    Ah ... so the good news is, the old version is still available ? Sweet ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 30, 2008
    #6
  7. In article <>, Cima <> wrote:
    >
    >>Konqueror crashes if you sneeze while using it.

    >
    >Whhhhhhhhattttt? But things don't crash on Linux.


    Not so. Application crashes don't take down the OS as well tho ... tho to be
    fair I haven't seen that in the windows arena since XP. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 30, 2008
    #7
  8. Lodi

    Cima Guest


    >Konqueror crashes if you sneeze while using it.


    Whhhhhhhhattttt? But things don't crash on Linux.
    Cima, Apr 30, 2008
    #8
  9. In article <fv8qfk$22k$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro did write:

    > Even the KDE developers agree it's still a work in progress...


    According to this
    <http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.1-alpha1.php>, KDE 4.1 is
    the "first end-user release" of KDE 4.x. If you're feeling brave, you might
    like to give the alpha version a try...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
    #9
  10. Lodi

    Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:32:29 +0200, Lodi wrote:

    > Hi all...Just wondering if any KDE4 users are enjoying the experience.
    >
    > It was one of the things I was looking forward to in last weeks Ubuntu
    > Hardy release but it's a major disappointment.


    SSH LDO will get his panties in a bunch.. never mind Cupapeee

    >
    > Konqueror crashes if you sneeze while using it. Dolphin is a featureless
    > substitute for a file manager.


    I thought the same thing myslef when i saw Dolphin.
    The fedora 9 package GUI tool is similar .. its featureless , some lame
    rip off of the old xandros package manager.

    >
    > Plasma truly truly truly sucks. I appreciate there are valid reasons for
    > Kicker being superceded but Plasma truly sucks. And there's talk of it
    > not being suck-less until KDE Version 4.4
    >
    > Manual editing of config files (!!!) to get a clean desktop. (You what?)


    Getting Twin-view setup via a simple GUI still seems beyond the
    programming skills of those involved, never mind changing the primary
    screen over. Depending on if you use the old version or new version of
    KDE this simple task becomes a mind ****.

    Dynamic resolution of desktop ... something windows users have been
    doing for over a decade using just a few mouse clicks.

    You now get all sorts of beeps and whistles on various errors & use, can
    anyone say so windows3.1

    Easy to use Firewall but its all command line ... that's a seller lol

    New pulse audio ... but its hardly supported yet.

    > I know it's pretty ungrateful of me to complain about free software but
    > I now know how those Windows "power users" feel when they come to Linux
    > and fall flat on their faces. They moan about everything, blame
    > everything but their own shortcomings and flounce off back to Windows.
    > I'm doing pretty much the same thing cos I've downgraded back to my
    > highly personalised KDE 3.5.9 setup and am happy once again.
    >
    > Anyone else having fun using it?
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi


    If you thought VISTA was released due to a idiotic schedule when core
    components of the code were barely BETA level and 6 months behind each
    other. You will die laughing at this mess that the Linux community is
    going to dish out over the next few months.

    Biggles watches them all flounce back to XP...................

    PS: good on you LODI btw .. at least someone has the balls to stand up
    and call it for the crap it is.


    Biggles ...
    , Apr 30, 2008
    #10
  11. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 04:22:54 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <fv8qt3$cod$>, Lodi <> wrote:
    >>On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:53:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> In article <fv8i7c$ba0$>, Lodi did write:
    >>>> It was one of the things I was looking forward to in last weeks
    >>>> Ubuntu Hardy release but it's a major disappointment.
    >>>
    >>> Was it the default installation? Even the KDE developers agree it's
    >>> still a work in progress--I'm surprised Ubuntu would inflict it on
    >>> users without asking.

    >>
    >>I'm not sure if it's the default for Kubuntu as I use Ubuntu with the
    >>KDM desktop manager (or the K Desktop Manager to be precise).
    >>
    >>After I upgraded to Hardy via the Update Manager the options of "KDE
    >>(previous)" and "KDE4" were listed on my log-in screen.

    >
    > Ah ... so the good news is, the old version is still available ? Sweet
    > ? :)


    Yep. After the upgrade to Hardy KDM automagically gave me the option of
    choosing between Gnome, KDE 3.5 and KDE4. It depends how I feel as to
    which one I choose.

    Lodi
    Lodi, May 1, 2008
    #11
  12. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:09:48 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <fv8qfk$22k$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro did
    > write:
    >
    >> Even the KDE developers agree it's still a work in progress...

    >
    > According to this
    > <http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.1-alpha1.php>, KDE 4.1 is
    > the "first end-user release" of KDE 4.x. If you're feeling brave, you
    > might like to give the alpha version a try...


    Thanks for that. It can't be any worse than what I've got so I may cast
    an eye over it in my spare time.

    My thinking is that the developers of KDE4 are way more clued up than me.
    The fact that I can't see the point of change (for example replacing
    kicker with plasma) simply means I'm missing something. If I keep gnawing
    away at it I might see the light.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, May 1, 2008
    #12
  13. In article <fvb09q$hvc$>, Lodi <> wrote:
    >>On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 04:21:53 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >
    >> In article <fv8i7c$ba0$>, Lodi <> wrote: <snip>
    >>>
    >>>Anyone else having fun using it?

    >>
    >> I'm quite happy with the previous version ... and why would anyone use
    >> version 0.9 (or even 1.0.0 :) ) of anything ? Was there some 'gee whiz'
    >> thing you were expecting ? :)

    >
    >Hi Bruce....Although I agree with your "buyer beware" comments about
    >using early versions of software my original post was actually comparing
    >an extremely stable KDE 3.5.9 to an extremely annoying KDE 4.0.3
    >
    >The main reason I want to get KDE4 up and running is because so many of
    >my most-used apps are putting out versions which take advantage of KDE4.
    >KTorrent, K3B, Konversation, Avidemux, Konqueror and (supposedly) the
    >Kontact Suite all have KDE4 friendly upgrades on-line or thereabouts. I
    >have this horrible feeling I'm missing out on something by not having the
    >latest and greatest.


    :) ... but do you have to have 4 to get the benefits ? ... and are the early
    benefits sufficient to outweigh the early aggravations ? :)

    >Then again, perhaps I should get a life :)


    Reminds me of the terry pratchet quote, something like ... 'and he would try
    to get a life if he didn't feel he was trying to lead 3 already'. :)

    Don't get me wrong ... I think it's great that people try version x.0.<low
    number> of s/w and report all the bugs and problems. It's mostly s/w
    however, that makes me think being a 'leader' or 'early adopter' is simply
    not clever. Let OBE (other buggers efforts) iron out the maker's
    problems. I'll pick up version 1.9.<something> when it's stable *and* fixed.
    :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 1, 2008
    #13
  14. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 04:21:53 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <fv8i7c$ba0$>, Lodi <> wrote: <snip>
    >>
    >>Anyone else having fun using it?

    >
    > I'm quite happy with the previous version ... and why would anyone use
    > version 0.9 (or even 1.0.0 :) ) of anything ? Was there some 'gee whiz'
    > thing you were expecting ? :)


    Hi Bruce....Although I agree with your "buyer beware" comments about
    using early versions of software my original post was actually comparing
    an extremely stable KDE 3.5.9 to an extremely annoying KDE 4.0.3

    The main reason I want to get KDE4 up and running is because so many of
    my most-used apps are putting out versions which take advantage of KDE4.
    KTorrent, K3B, Konversation, Avidemux, Konqueror and (supposedly) the
    Kontact Suite all have KDE4 friendly upgrades on-line or thereabouts. I
    have this horrible feeling I'm missing out on something by not having the
    latest and greatest.

    Then again, perhaps I should get a life :)

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, May 1, 2008
    #14
  15. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:22:45 +1200, Cima wrote:

    >>Konqueror crashes if you sneeze while using it.

    >
    > Whhhhhhhhattttt? But things don't crash on Linux.


    Nothing's perfect....but some things are less imperfect than others

    Lodi
    Lodi, May 1, 2008
    #15
  16. In article <fvav76$cd2$>, Lodi did write:

    > The fact that I can't see the point of change (for example replacing
    > kicker with plasma) simply means I'm missing something. If I keep gnawing
    > away at it I might see the light.


    There's probably some details of the underlying changes at the KDE site.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 1, 2008
    #16
  17. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 01 May 2008 00:50:58 +0200, wrote:

    >> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:32:29 +0200, Lodi wrote:

    >
    >> Hi all...Just wondering if any KDE4 users are enjoying the experience.
    >>
    >> It was one of the things I was looking forward to in last weeks Ubuntu
    >> Hardy release but it's a major disappointment.

    >
    > SSH LDO will get his panties in a bunch.. never mind Cupapeee
    >
    >
    >> Konqueror crashes if you sneeze while using it. Dolphin is a
    >> featureless substitute for a file manager.

    >
    > I thought the same thing myslef when i saw Dolphin. The fedora 9 package
    > GUI tool is similar .. its featureless , some lame rip off of the old
    > xandros package manager.
    >
    >
    >> Plasma truly truly truly sucks. I appreciate there are valid reasons
    >> for Kicker being superceded but Plasma truly sucks. And there's talk of
    >> it not being suck-less until KDE Version 4.4
    >>
    >> Manual editing of config files (!!!) to get a clean desktop. (You
    >> what?)

    >
    > Getting Twin-view setup via a simple GUI still seems beyond the
    > programming skills of those involved, never mind changing the primary
    > screen over. Depending on if you use the old version or new version of
    > KDE this simple task becomes a mind ****.
    >
    > Dynamic resolution of desktop ... something windows users have been
    > doing for over a decade using just a few mouse clicks.
    >
    > You now get all sorts of beeps and whistles on various errors & use, can
    > anyone say so windows3.1
    >
    > Easy to use Firewall but its all command line ... that's a seller lol
    >
    > New pulse audio ... but its hardly supported yet.
    >
    >> I know it's pretty ungrateful of me to complain about free software but
    >> I now know how those Windows "power users" feel when they come to Linux
    >> and fall flat on their faces. They moan about everything, blame
    >> everything but their own shortcomings and flounce off back to Windows.
    >> I'm doing pretty much the same thing cos I've downgraded back to my
    >> highly personalised KDE 3.5.9 setup and am happy once again.
    >>
    >> Anyone else having fun using it?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi

    >
    > If you thought VISTA was released due to a idiotic schedule when core
    > components of the code were barely BETA level and 6 months behind each
    > other. You will die laughing at this mess that the Linux community is
    > going to dish out over the next few months.
    >
    > Biggles watches them all flounce back to XP...................
    >
    > PS: good on you LODI btw .. at least someone has the balls to stand up
    > and call it for the crap it is.
    >
    >
    > Biggles ...


    Ummmmm.....a bit extreme there Biggles me old mate. The fact that I can't
    get my head around some of the changes between KDE versions 3 and 4
    reflects more on me than the software.

    There are people far cleverer than I could imagine working for my
    benefit. They expect nothing from me. I'm more than happy to keep using
    their earlier product while they pop the dents on the new model.

    And a flounce back to XP.....I think not :)

    Although that reminds me....if any XP users are feeling Linux-curious you
    can now install and use the latest Ubuntu without leaving XP. XP treats
    Ubuntu as another programme. Add/Remove and all that.

    One-click Linux. Roll up, roll up.....
    http://wubi-installer.org/

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, May 1, 2008
    #17
  18. Lodi

    SlowLearner Guest

    >
    > If you thought VISTA was released due to a idiotic schedule when core
    > components of the code were barely BETA level and 6 months behind each
    > other. You will die laughing at this mess that the Linux community is
    > going to dish out over the next few months.
    >
    > Biggles watches them all flounce back to XP...................
    >
    > PS: good on you LODI btw .. at least someone has the balls to stand up
    > and call it for the crap it is.
    >
    > Biggles ...


    What a load of tosh!

    I am using the AMD64 Ubuntu and it has been far easier to install and
    get everything running than windows Vista, which came preinstalled.

    I am quite an 'end user', maybe a little bit more knowledgeable but at
    the end of the day I don't like to have to fiddle with stuff to get it
    working, it pisses me off.

    It took 1 day to get Ubuntu installed with ALL the applications I need
    (and many I installed just to see which I prefer). I am still
    installing stuff on my Vista install and that was running about a week
    before the Ubuntu one (I was waiting for the Hardy release).

    Top it off, Vista has been a pain in the butt, not connecting to NAS
    drives, literally losing printers, needing to uninstall piles of
    advertising garbage and crappy 500MB 'trials' of MS Office and
    Nortons. Ignoring the fact that some really good programs are not
    avalible on Vista (Pixvue) and that one of the only 'amazing' Vista
    applications (Windows Photo Gallery) is a) not as simple to use as a
    free XP application and b) MS has already been 'extending' the photo
    metadata specifications with it I also have to seemingly constantly be
    clicking "YES" I wanted to do that. I also have more trouble playing
    DVDs and music on Vista, needing to download extra applications to
    play FLAC files and to watch DVDs without Windows wanting to stop me
    from watching out of zone DVDs.

    Top it all off I get a friendly HP pop up asking if I want to buy an
    extended warranty, WTF? Acrobat Reader merrily tells me it fails to
    update twice in about week (how many updates can you need?), second
    time removing itself without any further notice.I know this is HPs and
    Adobe's fault but those annoyance form part of my "Windows"
    Experience.

    I fail to see how anyone is going to 'go back' from a change over to
    Linux or Apple.

    Yes, there are times Linux does suck, and suck alot, its not perfect
    but neither is Windows. But the gap between windows and linux now is
    really small. Linux distributions have an edge with thier 'one-stop-
    shop' repositories and the plethora of help online. I have had more
    trouble finding solutions to my windows problems using google than my
    linux ones.

    I really wanted to like Vista, mostly because it had been so panned in
    reviews and I thought much of that was sour-grapes from the Linux and
    Mac camps but at the end of the day I can't. It needs to stay on as
    there is a course I am doing which needs C# (aka MS-JAVA) and after
    that its days are numbered.

    I think Windows Vista is the new Win98ME. A little half baked beta
    test to make the next version look *really* good. Shame I have ended
    up bitten twice.
    SlowLearner, May 1, 2008
    #18
  19. Lodi

    Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 22:18:14 +1200, Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)
    wrote:

    ..
    >
    > Why did you even *think* about using a *.0 release of *anything*?


    Even the village idiot gets it ...

    Biggles ....
    , May 6, 2008
    #19
  20. Lodi

    Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 02:06:16 +0200, Lodi wrote:

    >
    > Ummmmm.....a bit extreme there Biggles me old mate. The fact that I
    > can't get my head around some of the changes between KDE versions 3 and
    > 4 reflects more on me than the software.
    >


    Im a extreme kinda guy :) The fact its barely beta code for that KDE i
    get ... I have used it on my opensuse. Take KDE4 out of the picture and
    its just another point release or two.

    > There are people far cleverer than I could imagine working for my
    > benefit. They expect nothing from me. I'm more than happy to keep using
    > their earlier product while they pop the dents on the new model.
    >
    > And a flounce back to XP.....I think not :)
    >

    Your another cuppapee who rushes back to windows software ..:)


    > Although that reminds me....if any XP users are feeling Linux-curious
    > you can now install and use the latest Ubuntu without leaving XP. XP
    > treats Ubuntu as another programme. Add/Remove and all that.
    >
    > One-click Linux. Roll up, roll up..... http://wubi-installer.org/
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi


    If folks cant figure out how to burn a ISO to make a live CD/DVD i hardly
    think the wubi will do much for the flat-lined linux desktop.

    Biggles .. cheers
    , May 6, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Steven O.
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    5,241
    Fuzzy
    Mar 7, 2006
  2. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Re: Ho,ho,ho! - Happily scanning away. . .

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 10, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    324
    Tony Sperling
    Aug 10, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?enhub3M=?=

    RE: Ho,ho,ho! - Happily scanning away. . .

    =?Utf-8?B?enhub3M=?=, Aug 10, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    304
    =?Utf-8?B?enhub3M=?=
    Aug 11, 2005
  4. Gordon

    Re: Has anyone moved from KDE3.5 to KDE4?

    Gordon, Nov 7, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    392
    Enkidu
    Nov 7, 2009
  5. Carnations

    Re: Has anyone moved from KDE3.5 to KDE4?

    Carnations, Nov 7, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    409
    John Little
    Nov 16, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page