KDE3 vs KDE4

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009.

  1. Allistar wrote:

    > I'll upgrade to KDE4 when it's as feature rich as KDE3 and more.

    What sort of features are you missing? I've got multiple desktops, some Compiz-Fusion bling, the new Lancelot Menu, some pretty plasmoids, I don't bother with file browsers much, and I'm doing without a disappearing taskbar for now. All the GUI apps work the same regardless. So what else would you like to see?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009

  2. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Besides, KDE4 is not stable in my distribution yet. I run Gentoo.

    I believe it's available in the "kde-crazy" overlay. Let the name speak for
    itself. :)

    > I'm not going to upgrade just for the sake of it.

    Call yourself a Gentoo user. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009

  3. Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Allistar
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm not going to upgrade just for the sake of it.

    >> Call yourself a Gentoo user. :)

    > Yep. I use it as a professional tool as from all that I've tried it meets
    > my needs most closely.

    You wouldn't rather use Debian?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009
  4. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Allistar wrote:

    >>> Yep. I use it as a professional tool as from all that I've tried it
    >>> meets my needs most closely.

    >> You wouldn't rather use Debian?

    > No I wouldn't. Gentoo keeps relatively up to date and it is a breeze to
    > upgrade ...

    Yeah, but you said yourself you're "not going to upgrade just for the sake
    of it". So are you really getting the benefit?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009