  1. Demonstrating window grouping, the Plasma Netbook Shell, and yes, their
    adaptation of one or two features from Windows Seven.

    <http://linuxcrunch.com/content/whats-new-kde-sc-44-videos>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 3, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-01-03, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Demonstrating window grouping, the Plasma Netbook Shell, and yes, their
    > adaptation of one or two features from Windows Seven.
    >
    ><http://linuxcrunch.com/content/whats-new-kde-sc-44-videos>

    Shit, 4.4 is here already ;-)

    Nothing wrong with copying someone, after all, it is the sincerest form of
    flattery
    Gordon, Jan 7, 2010

  3. On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:49:01 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Demonstrating window grouping, the Plasma Netbook Shell, and yes, their
    >> adaptation of one or two features from Windows Seven.
    >>
    >> <http://linuxcrunch.com/content/whats-new-kde-sc-44-videos>

    >If only it would support multi-session like KDE3.5 does.

    Maybe you need to look at submitting a patch to do that.
    Stephen Worthington, Jan 8, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-01-10, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Stephen Worthington wrote:

    >>>If only it would support multi-session like KDE3.5 does.

    >> Maybe you need to look at submitting a patch to do that.

    > I have investigated this and it would be more than just a simple patch.
    > Apparently this part of the system is quite complicated and there are a lot
    > of assumptions made in KDE about how many KDE sessions are running.
    >
    > If it were a case of a simple change, I would happily provide a patch. In
    > this case I don't think it is.

    So feed it back to the developers.
    Gordon, Jan 11, 2010
  5. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > If it were a case of a simple change, I would happily provide a patch. In
    > this case I don't think it is.

    Have you thought of running different sessions in separate chroots?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 11, 2010
  6. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Allistar
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If it were a case of a simple change, I would happily provide a patch.
    >>> In this case I don't think it is.

    >> Have you thought of running different sessions in separate chroots?

    > No, but that would a very cumbersome solution.

    Why?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 11, 2010
  7. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Allistar
    >> wrote:

    >>> No, but that would a very cumbersome solution.

    >> Why?

    > I would likely have issues with communication between the two running
    > window managers (i.e. I couldn't drag and drop files between the two
    > instances of KDE for example).

    Sounds like you want multiple desktops. KDE already does that.

    > It is an interesting idea though. To pull it off I suppose I'd have to
    > share my existing directories (/usr, /opt, /var, /etc, /home etc) with the
    > chroot via an NFS export.

    No, you could just use bind mounts.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 11, 2010
  8. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Allistar
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would likely have issues with communication between the two running
    >>> window managers (i.e. I couldn't drag and drop files between the two
    >>> instances of KDE for example).

    >> Sounds like you want multiple desktops. KDE already does that.

    > No, multiple instances of KDE ...

    Why?

    >>> It is an interesting idea though. To pull it off I suppose I'd have to
    >>> share my existing directories (/usr, /opt, /var, /etc, /home etc) with
    >>> the chroot via an NFS export.

    >> No, you could just use bind mounts.

    > Having thought about this a bit more, it won't work. It would mean running
    > two separate X servers ...

    Isn’t that what you were doing anyway?

    > ... which would mean needing an extra keyboard and mouse for the other X
    > server.

    No, you can switch between them with the usual Ctrl-Alt-Fn keystrokes. After
    all, switching to/from an X server from/to a text console isn’t really any
    different from switching from one X server to another.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Allistar
    >> wrote:

    >>> No, multiple instances of KDE ...

    >> Why?

    > That's the only way I've found to to get an accelerated display with 3
    > monitors. You cannot run the composite extension and the xinerama extension
    > at the same time, and Nvidia won't present a single screen to X that spans
    > GPUs.

    >>> Having thought about this a bit more, it won't work. It would mean
    >>> running two separate X servers ...

    >> Isn’t that what you were doing anyway?

    > No, I was running one X server with two KDE instances inside it. E.g. a
    > xorg.conf like this:
    >
    > Section "ServerLayout"
    > Identifier "Default Layout"
    > screen 0 "Screen A"
    > screen 1 "Screen B" RightOf "Screen A"
    > InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    > InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    > EndSection
    >

    >>> ... which would mean needing an extra keyboard and mouse for the other X
    >>> server.

    >> No, you can switch between them with the usual Ctrl-Alt-Fn keystrokes.
    >> After all, switching to/from an X server from/to a text console isn’t
    >> really any different from switching from one X server to another.

    > At the moment I can drag and drop file between KDE instances, and the mouse
    > moves seamlessly between them two. The only thing I cannot do is move
    > windows between them - but that suite me fine. Using Ctrl-Alt-Fn keys would
    > be a huge step backwards from what I have now.

    It sounds like there is an opportunity there for you to contribute back
    some useful enhancements to the free software community.
    victor, Jan 12, 2010