KDE 3 vs 4

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Oct 15, 2008.

  1. There's an ongoing discussion on KDE 3 vs 4 on the ubuntu group and I saw
    someone complaining about an ubuntu 8.04 upgrade (IIRC :) ). This might be
    related ?

    This cut and pasted shamelessly from a post in that group. :)

    > If you use KDE 3 (the kubuntu packages) and want to do a dist-upgrade,
    > then you will wind up with KDE 4...whether you like it or not.

    I think that you have better chances of getting KDE 3 back into intrepid
    if instead of complaining here, you'd file a bug report on

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/

    asking for KDE 3 to be reintroduced on the basis that KDE itself
    declares KDE 4.1 suitable for early adopters only:

    "While KDE 4.1 aims at being the first release suitable for early
    adopting users, some features you are used to in KDE 3.5 are not
    implemented yet."

    http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 15, 2008

  2. Hi there,

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > There's an ongoing discussion on KDE 3 vs 4 on the ubuntu group and I saw
    > someone complaining about an ubuntu 8.04 upgrade (IIRC :) ). This might be
    > related ?
    >
    > This cut and pasted shamelessly from a post in that group. :)
    >
    >> If you use KDE 3 (the kubuntu packages) and want to do a dist-upgrade,
    >> then you will wind up with KDE 4...whether you like it or not.

    > I think that you have better chances of getting KDE 3 back into intrepid
    > if instead of complaining here, you'd file a bug report on
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/
    >
    > asking for KDE 3 to be reintroduced on the basis that KDE itself
    > declares KDE 4.1 suitable for early adopters only:
    >
    > "While KDE 4.1 aims at being the first release suitable for early
    > adopting users, some features you are used to in KDE 3.5 are not
    > implemented yet."
    >
    > http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.

    I'm not sure why that person is complaining, as KDE 3.5.10 is on
    the Kubuntu 8.0.4 updates site, along with easy instructions how
    to install it, although they class it an /Unsupported update/.

    I've tested KDE 4 on openSUSE 11, but I still use 3.5 as my daily
    driver. Having said that I found 4 to work reasonably well, but its
    just not as feature rich as 3.5 yet. If people are not happy with
    KDE 4 the good thing about the Open Source model is that KDE 3.5
    could continue as its own branch - you could still have the latest
    kernel and X server and other important stuff, yet not have to use
    KDE 4 just because your distro maintainers only package that.

    I get updates for KDE 3.5 from the openSUSE Build Service, which is
    a large repository for software not usually included on the distro
    DVD/CD/iso's. Its all community built, and openSUSE themselves just
    provide bandwidth and server storage for community members to put
    their own contributions to the distro online. From a user POV you
    either add the repositories to your online repositories list, or
    use 1-click install direct from the website; either way works well.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 15, 2008