KB917021 - why has this not been put on Windows Update?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Peabody, Mar 4, 2007.

  1. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    Peabody, Mar 4, 2007

  2. Hi

    If you are not in need to do this on your "fleet" of Wireless Laptops , you
    do not need to install it.

    Quote: "However, until the Wireless Client Update is installed, network
    administrators cannot centrally configure WPA2 options by using the Wireless
    Network(IEEE 802.11) Policies node of Computer Configuration Group Policy.
    Computers that have Windows XP Service Pack 2 and the Wireless Client Update
    installed can apply these configuration options when they configure the
    computers by using Computer Configuration Group Policy".

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 4, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Mar 5, 2007
  4. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > If you are not in need to do this on your "fleet" of
    > Wireless Laptops , you do not need to install it.

    > Quote: "However, until the Wireless Client Update is
    > installed, network administrators cannot centrally
    > configure WPA2 options by using the Wireless
    > Network(IEEE 802.11) Policies node of Computer
    > Configuration Group Policy. Computers that have Windows
    > XP Service Pack 2 and the Wireless Client Update
    > installed can apply these configuration options when
    > they configure the computers by using Computer
    > Configuration Group Policy".

    Well, even for non-fleet laptops, it contains additional
    improvements involving non-broadcast networks, parking, and
    ad-hoc networks, all of which would seem to be good for
    everyone.

    Let me put it this way - is there a reason NOT to install
    it, other than just not needing to? Could installing it
    screw things up in some way? Doesn't seem that it would.

    Peabody, Mar 5, 2007
  5. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    In article <B749A4AA-0E5A-4995-8853-077E98FEDC52@microsoft.
    com>, says...

    >> Is there a reason why someone might not want to install
    >> this?

    > Yes, there is a reason: a newer update that includes
    > 917021 and the new Vista-compatible profile and API
    > support.

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918997

    Thanks, but it appears that may not be the case. Well, all
    but one of the files in 917021 have later dates than those
    in 918997.

    In any case, I would want to think about the security
    implications of 918997 first. I mean, it should be ok since
    it just appears to put some Vista capability back into XP,
    but I just want to understand better what it does.

    Peabody, Mar 5, 2007
  6. "Peabody" wrote:
    > In article <B749A4AA-0E5A-4995-8853-077E98FEDC52@microsoft.
    > com>, says...
    >
    > >> Is there a reason why someone might not want to install
    > >> this?

    > > Yes, there is a reason: a newer update that includes
    > > 917021 and the new Vista-compatible profile and API
    > > support.

    > Thanks, but it appears that may not be the case. Well, all
    > but one of the files in 917021 have later dates than those
    > in 918997.

    Hmm. You're right. It seems that the Wlan API update kb 918997
    adds only one new file: wlanapi.dll (besides of xpsp3res.dll)
    Files v.5.1.2600.2658 are same as in kb 893357.

    Probably this means that v... .2658 is the minimal version required
    to support the WLAN API & XML profiles. If KB 917021 files are
    already installed, they won't be replaced.

    Regards,
    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Mar 6, 2007
  7. Heard about this update from Steve Gibson (Gibson Research: Spinrite) ... he
    says all wireless users should have this update. I installed it and my
    wireless NIC couldn't connect to my router any more (unable to acquire IP.)

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=, Mar 11, 2007
  8. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    In article <EF72647A-DF4A-4CAD-B697-39D295412A2C@microsoft.
    com>, says...

    > Heard about this update from Steve Gibson (Gibson
    > Research: Spinrite) ... he says all wireless users
    > should have this update. I installed it and my wireless
    > NIC couldn't connect to my router any more (unable to
    > acquire IP.)

    Well, I went ahead and installed it this morning, and
    rebooted, and everything worked fine, just as before. I
    read through the list of things it fixes, and it seemed all
    are a good idea.

    If your router isn't doing so already, you might want to set
    it to broadcast its SSID. In my view, that should be on
    anyway. I know that some believe turning it off is a
    security measure, but I don't think that's right.
    Encryption is the only security measure that really works.

    Peabody, Mar 12, 2007
  9. SSID was enabled on my router and I'm using WPA-PSK w/ TKIP encryption. Not
    sure why it didn't work for me ... it just went into an endless loop of
    attempting to acquire my IP and was never able to complete that step. I even
    tried disabling the NIC and the "repair" function, all to no avail.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=, Mar 16, 2007