    If anyone's using Daemon tools or Alcohol 120% don't install KB914784, it
    breaks both of them on x64 systems

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jun 14, 2006

  2. Peter Lawton

    Rick Guest

    Do you have any rationale for your statement? I
    have Daemon tools on my system and have not
    encountered any problems with the updates.

    If you're going to disseminate a statement as
    the one below, then please provide some
    justification for your statement. As it stands
    now, you give no reason to follow you statement.

    Rick, Jun 14, 2006

  3. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Hi Rick,

    You are indeed lucky if you're running x64 Windows XP with KB914784 and are
    having no problems with Daemon tools or Alcohol 120%

    However I do have a "rationale" along with an amount of supporting evidence.

    I am running Daemon tools on one x64 PC and Alcohol 120% on another, both
    broke when KB914784 was installed and both started working again when
    KB914784 was uninstalled.

    The common component between them both is of course is the sptd.sys device
    driver, my assumption is that the changes to DEP in the KB are preventing it
    from operating, the System log error is:-

    Source: sptd
    Type: Error
    Event ID: 4
    Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

    I also followed up my guess with the guys from Alcohol 120% and they said
    that they are aware of the issue, are working to correct it and the only
    advice at present is to either uninstall Alcohol 120% or uninstall KB914784

    Now your experience may well be different from mine and that of the Alcohol
    120% developers, however I believe that I do have enough "rationale" to
    "disseminate" a warning to other people so that if they do encounter the
    same issue they won't have to spend most of a day fruitlessly un-installing
    and re-installing their applications in an attempt to repair them.

    Frankly Rick whether you follow my statement or not is of no concern to me
    at all, I made it purely to help others who may have the same problem and
    wish to follow it, in order to save themselves a lot of time and
    frustration.

    I didn't go into details in my first post because I was very busy and I
    assumed that anyone having the issue could try my advice and of course
    anyone not having the issue would simply ignore it (of course as a verteran
    of usenet I should have known better ;-)

    Peter

    Peter Lawton, Jun 14, 2006
  4. This is a far reaching change Microsoft have just introduced with this patch
    (which I have uninstalled for now).

    Here's the official line:

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/64bitpatching.mspx

    And here's the specifics on the patch:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/914784.mspx

    Personally I can see what Microsoft is trying to achieve I just wish they
    had not slipped this out as a hotfix/auto-update but rather in a Service
    Pack.

    It "broke" my machine, along with lots of other x64 users, and led to me
    having to lose productivity looking for the reason and uninstalling the
    patch.

    Simon.
    Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
    64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
    For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.

    Simon Meacham, Jun 17, 2006
  5. Peter Lawton

    Guest

    , Jun 18, 2006
  6. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Yes, since the original issues with Alcohol and Daemon tools I've now come
    across various other odd apps and plugins that have broken too. Even my
    Sinclair Spectrum emulator broke! (*cry*)

    I agree that there should have been more warning about what this patch was
    going to do, like there was with the changes to the way MSIE handled ActiveX
    controlls recently, to enable developers to update their code.

    For now I've set WSUS to "Detect Only" for this patch until I sort out
    exactly which things it breaks and get updates for them.

    One interesting thing I noticed from the links you give is
    "Patching any part of the kernel (detected only on AMD64-based systems)"

    That's the first real difference I've ever seen from the Windows point of
    view between Intel and AMD x64 processors, I wonder what AMD can do that
    Intel can't (or perhaps it's just a conspiracy *grin*)

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jun 18, 2006
  7. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    I prefer not to install the patch.

    But what's the betting Microsoft force the patch on everyone soon by
    incorporating it into a real critical security patch that is necessary,
    there's been quite a lot of that happening recently with MS patches.

    My feeling is it was totally unnecessary to change the existing behaviour of
    x64 systems, but not x32 systems, without any warning. They should have left
    such fundamental changes until Vista which is going to necessitate a lot of
    application code rewrites anyway.

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jun 18, 2006
  8. Peter Lawton

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    I uninstalled it also, since my PC was consistently taking a very long
    time to boot after all the Windows updates were installed. For some
    reason, removing the patch fixed the problem. I use Firefox, but if you
    use IE, even with automatic updates turned on, you will eventually get
    the Windows update site and you will have a "complaint" that a vital
    update has been turned off.

    jabloomf1230, Jun 18, 2006
  9. Peter Lawton

    Jane C Guest

    Intel EM64T processor here...and it broke my Daemon Tools too :(

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64bit enabled ;)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;)

    Jane C, Jun 18, 2006
  10. Yes, it's the same for both chips - it isn't amd64 only.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 18, 2006