KB893357 vs KB917021 WinXp Wireless Laptop Woes

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Phil C., Apr 16, 2007.

  1. Phil C.

    Phil C. Guest

    I've been having problems with my wireless lenovo laptop Win Xp Pro Sp2,
    all updates to date with Intel 3945abg wireless card and dhcp errors, and
    having it drop the wireless connection
    and not reconnect.

    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the
    DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0018DE746057. The
    following error occurred:
    The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try
    and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to
    try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
    Your computer was unable to automatically configure the IP parameters for
    the Network Card with the network address 0018DE746057. The following error
    occurred during configuration: The DHCP client has obtained an IP address
    that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be disabled
    until the DHCP client can obtain a new address. .

    In trying to figure out how to fix this (I'm assuming the router, a SMC
    2804WBRP-G is configured correctly with WPA PSK, a long key and a 3600 sec
    group rekeying interval)

    The Intel drivers and Ibm Thinkvantage software has been configured and
    reinstalled correctly per IBM/Lenovo.

    I was researching KB893357 "The Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2)/Wireless
    Provisioning Services Information Element (WPS IE) update for Windows XP
    with Service Pack 2 is available" which is installed on my machine,
    and KB917021 "Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows XP with
    Service Pack 2", which is newer and contains newer dll's and replaces
    KB893357.

    I thought that applying KB917021 which is not pushed out throught the
    Windows Update might help the dropped connection issues. However, when I
    try to run KB917021, I get an error saying that it can't be applied because
    of dependency conflicts.

    I wonder if uninstalling KB893357 first, than installing KB917021 would
    work. However, I'm not sure exactly what KB917021 helps me with.
    Any Help would be appreciated

    Phil C., Apr 16, 2007

  2. Phil C.

    Lilla Guest

    Re: KB893357 vs KB917021 WinXp Wireless Laptop Woes - WORKAROUND

    Here's the WORKAROUND that I used to resolve this problem...

    A few days ago I tried to install KB917021 (it replaces KB893357 which I had
    never installed) on my IBM ThinkPad 770ED (Pentium II 266MHZ) running
    Windows XP Home SP2 with all critical updates provided by Windows Updates
    I received this message:
    KB917021 Setup Error (title)
    Failed to migrate dependent packages

    I restarted the computer, and then uninstalled the package.
    To uninstall, run spuninst.exe, located here...
    C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917021$\spuninst\spuninst.exe
    Notes. This is a hidden folder. This uninstaller is not listed in Add/Remove
    Programs.

    After uninstalling, I restarted the computer.

    Next I googled the problem and found where another person had encountered
    the same problem and had shared a workaround that had worked for them.
    Workaround: rename xpsp3res.dll to xpsp3res_hideme.dll (or whatever)
    (this file is part of this update, see KB917021)

    I decided to try this workaround. So I renamed the file and reinstalled and
    this time I did not get the error message. I restarted the computer.

    Observation:
    Before installing this update, xpsp3res.dll was version 5.1.2600.3100
    Before installing this update, xpsp3res.dll was version 5.1.2600.2977

    It seems odd that this file version regressed. Perhaps someone can tell me
    if this workaround will have negative consequences, and what should be done.

    P.S. There is also now, KB893357 which replaces the same files (plus one
    more, I think) and is later than KB917021. I would like to know if I should
    install it.

    Lilla, May 4, 2007

  3. Phil C.

    Lilla Guest

    Re: KB893357 vs KB917021 WinXp Wireless Laptop Woes - WORKAROUND

    Correction: I meant to say KB918997 (instead of KB893357) in the P.S. as
    shown below.

    P.S. There is also now, KB918997 (Feb 16, 2007) which replaces the same

    Lilla, May 5, 2007