KB885836 Setup Error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ron May, Dec 7, 2007.

  1. Ron May

    Ron May Guest

    This is more of an irritation than a critical problem as this hotfix
    largely addresses WordPad vulnerabilities, and I don't use WordPad.

    After a repair reinstall of Win XP SP2 MCE about 6-8 weeks ago. I went
    to Windows Update to install the appropriate hotfixes, but I kept
    getting unspecified failures telling me that the updates (maybe 7 or 8
    in all) failed. I tried a couple more times with the same result. I
    then tried to isolate the problem using the "half-split" method of
    installing the updates a few at a time, which resulted in all but one
    of the hotfixes being installed. The offending hotfix generates the
    following error response whether I try to install it via Windows
    Update or via the downloaded ENU.exe file:

    ---------------------------
    KB885836 Setup Error
    ---------------------------
    KB885836 Setup could not backup registry key

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB885836

    to file C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB885836$\reg00001. 5: Access is
    denied.
    ---------------------------
    Abort Retry Ignore
    ---------------------------

    I googled for "KB885836 Setup could not backup registry key" and for
    "KB885836 Setup Error" and got a few hits, but didn't find anything
    promising.

    I tried the "Add/Remove" applet, but that hotfix isn't on the list.

    Okay, so I think I'll just go in and delete the key manually. No go.
    Can't kill it, and none of my unlock and delete context tools for
    dealing with unruly files are available for registry entries. I even
    tried doing it through regedit after booting into safe mode, but that
    doesn't work.

    Deleting the $ntUninstall directory is trivial. It reappears when I
    make another install attempt, but it's useless in terms of trying to
    install or uninstall the hotfix.

    This is my personal home computer. It's set up as an Administrator
    account by default. I did scan gpedit.msc to see if anything jumped
    out at me as irregular in group policies, but I didn't see anything
    obvious.

    This one particular issue is the only time I've run across an "Access
    Denied" problem, so it seems to be pretty specific. ISTM that
    something probably went south with this one hotfix the first time I
    tried Windows Update, and whatever happened is preventing me from
    fixing it. I could be wrong, but I think if I could find a way to
    delete the registry entry, that would let me start over from scratch.
    Alternatively, there may be some files hidden away somewhere from the
    botched istall, but I just don't know where to look. If I did, I'd
    use something like MoveOnBoot or a recovery CD with NTFS4DOS to wipe
    them out if necessary.

    What am I missing? Any ideas? As I said in the beginning, it's a
    minor issue, so something like another repair install is out of the
    question. If it comes to that, I'll just drop it and move on, but I
    figured I'd ask here as a last resort before giving up.

    --
    Ron M.
    (I filter Googlespam)

    Ron May, Dec 7, 2007

  2. Ron May

    ded Guest

    "Ron May" <> wrote in message

    snip

    > KB885836

    "KB" indicates it is an MS knowledgebase article. And this is
    the result for that KB article: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5p5

    That hotfix is to plug a security issue, you may have a
    corrupt or compromised registry?

    In this advanced search link of the KB, type *exactly* the wording
    of any error messages, include code, numbers, spaces etc.
    Enter into the advanced search the error message(s) exactly
    as they appear on screen:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=

    ded, Dec 7, 2007

  3. Ron May

    Ron May Guest

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 12:44:18 -0000, "ded" <>
    wrote:

    > "Ron May" <> wrote in message
    >
    > snip
    >

    > > KB885836

    > "KB" indicates it is an MS knowledgebase article. And this is
    > the result for that KB article: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5p5
    >
    > That hotfix is to plug a security issue, you may have a
    > corrupt or compromised registry?
    >
    > In this advanced search link of the KB, type *exactly* the wording
    > of any error messages, include code, numbers, spaces etc.
    > Enter into the advanced search the error message(s) exactly
    > as they appear on screen:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=

    I know how to research KB articles. That's how I knew that the hotfix
    was related to a wordpad vilnerability as I indicated in the first
    line of my post. For the record, though, I tried your suggestion and
    got the following result:

    <QUOTE>
    There are no documents that match your search for "KB885836 Setup
    could not backup registry key"
    Please try a different search above or try one of the related links
    below.
    </QUOTE>

    <QUOTE>
    There are no documents that match your search for "KB885836 Setup
    Error"
    Please try a different search above or try one of the related links
    below.
    </QUOTE>

    Not much help there, I'm afraid, but thanks for trying.

    --
    Ron M.
    (I filter Googlespam)

    Ron May, Dec 8, 2007
  4. Ron May wrote:

    > This is more of an irritation than a critical problem as this hotfix
    > largely addresses WordPad vulnerabilities, and I don't use WordPad.
    >
    > After a repair reinstall of Win XP SP2 MCE about 6-8 weeks ago. I went
    > to Windows Update to install the appropriate hotfixes, but I kept
    > getting unspecified failures telling me that the updates (maybe 7 or 8
    > in all) failed. I tried a couple more times with the same result. I
    > then tried to isolate the problem using the "half-split" method of
    > installing the updates a few at a time, which resulted in all but one
    > of the hotfixes being installed. The offending hotfix generates the
    > following error response whether I try to install it via Windows
    > Update or via the downloaded ENU.exe file:
    >
    > ---------------------------
    > KB885836 Setup Error
    > ---------------------------
    > KB885836 Setup could not backup registry key
    >
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB885836
    >
    > to file C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB885836$\reg00001. 5: Access is
    > denied.
    > ---------------------------
    > Abort Retry Ignore
    > ---------------------------
    >
    > I googled for "KB885836 Setup could not backup registry key" and for
    > "KB885836 Setup Error" and got a few hits, but didn't find anything
    > promising.
    >
    > I tried the "Add/Remove" applet, but that hotfix isn't on the list.
    >
    > Okay, so I think I'll just go in and delete the key manually. No go.
    > Can't kill it, and none of my unlock and delete context tools for
    > dealing with unruly files are available for registry entries. I even
    > tried doing it through regedit after booting into safe mode, but that
    > doesn't work.

    Have you right-clicked on the key in left panel of regedit and selected the
    permissions/ownership dialog? Maybe the key has not listed the admins group
    or admin isn't listed as owner ("advanced" button)?
    Try to take ownership of that key.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 9, 2007
  5. Ron May

    Ron May Guest

    On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:46:26 +0100, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    > > Okay, so I think I'll just go in and delete the key manually. No go.
    > > Can't kill it, and none of my unlock and delete context tools for
    > > dealing with unruly files are available for registry entries. I even
    > > tried doing it through regedit after booting into safe mode, but that
    > > doesn't work.
    > >

    > Have you right-clicked on the key in left panel of regedit and selected the
    > permissions/ownership dialog? Maybe the key has not listed the admins group
    > or admin isn't listed as owner ("advanced" button)?
    > Try to take ownership of that key.

    That's EXACTLY it. No one was listed as owner. Had to fiddle with it
    repeatedly, and work with the "special permissions" several times from
    several angles, and had to try the hotfix install twice, but the end
    result was SUCCESS! You da MAN! Thanks!

    --
    Ron M.
    (I filter Googlespam)