    Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
    broke CS6

    Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.

    philo , May 10, 2013

  2. philo

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:27:56 -0500, philo  <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
    : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
    : broke CS6
    :
    : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.

    I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can rent its
    replacement for the rest of your life. :^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 11, 2013

  3. philo

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
    > : broke CS6
    > :
    > : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
    >
    > I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can rent its
    > replacement for the rest of your life. :^)

    yes you most certainly can. adobe has said they are going to continue
    to update cs6 for bugs and security issues.

    there just won't be a cs7.

    nospam, May 11, 2013
  4. philo

    Mayayana Guest

    | What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v. at
    | a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).

    As I understood it, it's $20/month for any
    one program.

    Mayayana, May 12, 2013
  5. philo

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
    >
    > I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
    > Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?

    the main advantage to aperture is its integration with idevices and not
    needing to use iphoto for photos on them. otherwise, lightroom is much
    better.

    > What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.
    >
    > It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
    > of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual photo
    > processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and less heavy
    > users would pay proportionately less.

    that's one way to do it.

    > It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
    > only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
    > And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...

    you can use more than one at a time. launch both illustrator and
    photoshop, for instance.

    > What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v. at
    > a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).

    do you own cs3-cs6? if so, it's $10/mo for a single app for the first
    year, then it's the standard $20/mo.

    nospam, May 12, 2013
  6. philo

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 11 May 2013 18:15:03 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2013.05.11 15:41 , Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2013-05-11 09:26:27 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:27:56 -0500, philo <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
    >>> : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
    >>> : broke CS6
    >>> :
    >>> : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
    >>>
    >>> I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
    >>> rent its
    >>> replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> Wrong end of the problem Bob. Philo should have updated his wife's Win7
    >> by getting her a Mac. ;-)
    >>
    >> As far as Photoshop goes, I will be more than done with any further
    >> updates when Adobe stops a solid upgrade path. For now it appears there
    >> will be no CS7. So CS6 is the end of the road for me.
    >>
    >> Adobe is only doing the "Creative Cloud" thing to the CS Suite for now.
    >> So, until they kill it off I will continue to update Lightroom if the
    >> features/benefits outweigh to update cost.
    >>
    >> The LR - PS combo still fits my workflow comfortably

    >I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
    >
    >I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
    >Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?
    >
    >What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.
    >
    >It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
    >of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual photo
    >processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and less heavy
    >users would pay proportionately less.
    >
    >It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
    >only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
    >And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...
    >
    >What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v. at
    >a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).

    Then take a look at "Organic Imaging" by Elpical Software. Take a
    free test drive on 250 images, and then pay 12.5 cents per image for
    up to 5,000 images per month. "Shutterbug" magazine gave it a good
    review*, but I haven't tried it.

    www.organicimaging.com

    *Magazines like "Shutterbug" don't seem to *ever* give anything but
    good reviews to products, so that might not mean anything. Still, the
    trial download is free.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 12, 2013
  7. philo

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 11 May 2013 16:22:34 -0400, nospam <> wrote:
    : In article <>, Robert Coe
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : > : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and
    : > : it broke CS6
    : > :
    : > : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
    : >
    : > I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
    : > rent its replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
    :
    : yes you most certainly can. adobe has said they are going to continue
    : to update cs6 for bugs and security issues.

    What they said, in effect, is that they have no immediate plans not to. DR (I
    believe it was) published an interview with an Adobe bigshot the other day.
    Rarely will you see anyone choose his words more carefully.

    But the truly bizarre position that Adobe seems to be taking is that
    photographers shouldn't be concerned, because they don't need Photoshop anyway
    and should be using Lightroom instead. So who does need Photoshop? High-end
    graphic designers?

    Another little gem from the mouth of the Adobe spokesman: while the new
    Photoshop will be rigged to stop working(!) if you haven't paid your bill,
    you're allowed(!) to uninstall it for free.

    The other day I attended a lecture/demo by Aaron Nace, who considers himself
    (justifiably, I guess) to be one of the world's foremost Photoshop experts.
    Damn! If it had been one week later, I could have asked him what he thought of
    Adobe's new direction.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 12, 2013
  8. philo

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 11 May 2013 16:24:39 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-05-11 15:15:03 -0700, Alan Browne
    ><> said:

    >>> Wrong end of the problem Bob. Philo should have updated his wife's Win7
    >>> by getting her a Mac. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> As far as Photoshop goes, I will be more than done with any further
    >>> updates when Adobe stops a solid upgrade path. For now it appears there
    >>> will be no CS7. So CS6 is the end of the road for me.
    >>>
    >>> Adobe is only doing the "Creative Cloud" thing to the CS Suite for now.
    >>> So, until they kill it off I will continue to update Lightroom if the
    >>> features/benefits outweigh to update cost.
    >>>
    >>> The LR - PS combo still fits my workflow comfortably

    >> I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
    >>
    >> I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
    >> Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?
    >>
    >> What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.
    >>
    >> It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
    >> of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual photo
    >> processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and less
    >> heavy users would pay proportionately less.
    >>
    >> It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
    >> only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
    >> And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...
    >>
    >> What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v.
    >> at a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).

    >$20/month is what the PS module will cost you. The CS5 to CS6 upgrade
    >(download only) is $199.
    >
    >CS6 has some new features which had been tempting me. So during the
    >week I made the move, but it was not without having to jump through the
    >hoops. Nowhere on the Adobe site is there an obvious means to buy the
    >CS5-CS6 upgrade, everything is "Creative Cloud".
    >
    >I called the 800-585-0774 sale/service number and expressed my
    >disappointment that they had made this move to the CC and my inability
    >to find a path to the upgrade. I was told that they no longer had DVD
    >editions of the upgrade and full versions of CS6 DVDs would only be
    >available until inventory was depleted.
    >
    >Anyway, I stepped up and bought the upgrade. The download method was
    >also a bit convoluted, but actually took about 3 minutes. I figured I
    >would rather have a copy of CS6 on my HD than pay $20/months until I
    >can no longer understand what I am doing with my cameras and/or
    >computer. From what I have worked through with CS6 so far, I am glad I
    >made the move.

    What new features in CS6 did you like?

    I've tried "content aware fill" several times and not been all that
    overwhelmed. Too often, it picks up surrounding content that I don't
    want. When it works, it works well.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 12, 2013
  9. philo

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > : > I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
    > : > rent its replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
    > :
    > : yes you most certainly can. adobe has said they are going to continue
    > : to update cs6 for bugs and security issues.
    >
    > What they said, in effect, is that they have no immediate plans not to. DR (I
    > believe it was) published an interview with an Adobe bigshot the other day.
    > Rarely will you see anyone choose his words more carefully.

    what's careful about that?

    cs6 will get bugfixes and security updates. it won't get new features.

    had adobe not done creative cloud and went ahead with cs7, it would
    have been the same as far as cs6 goes. this is nothing new.

    > But the truly bizarre position that Adobe seems to be taking is that
    > photographers shouldn't be concerned, because they don't need Photoshop anyway
    > and should be using Lightroom instead. So who does need Photoshop? High-end
    > graphic designers?

    basically. that's why photoshop costs a lot, while photoshop elements
    and lightroom do not.

    > Another little gem from the mouth of the Adobe spokesman: while the new
    > Photoshop will be rigged to stop working(!) if you haven't paid your bill,

    guess what happens if you don't pay your phone bill or mortgage payment.

    creative cloud is subscription based. if you don't pay, it doesn't work.

    why is this surprising?

    > you're allowed(!) to uninstall it for free.

    obviously it can be uninstalled for free. anything can be uninstalled
    for free. worst case, erase the hard drive. it's not possible to charge
    to uninstall something.

    or just leave it installed in case you renew it at a later date.

    > The other day I attended a lecture/demo by Aaron Nace, who considers himself
    > (justifiably, I guess) to be one of the world's foremost Photoshop experts.
    > Damn! If it had been one week later, I could have asked him what he thought of
    > Adobe's new direction.

    some people like the idea, others don't and some don't really care one
    way or the other.

    nospam, May 12, 2013
  10. philo

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/11/2013 7:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-05-11 15:15:03 -0700, Alan Browne
    > <> said:

    >>> Wrong end of the problem Bob. Philo should have updated his wife's Win7
    >>> by getting her a Mac. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> As far as Photoshop goes, I will be more than done with any further
    >>> updates when Adobe stops a solid upgrade path. For now it appears there
    >>> will be no CS7. So CS6 is the end of the road for me.
    >>>
    >>> Adobe is only doing the "Creative Cloud" thing to the CS Suite for now.
    >>> So, until they kill it off I will continue to update Lightroom if the
    >>> features/benefits outweigh to update cost.
    >>>
    >>> The LR - PS combo still fits my workflow comfortably

    >> I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
    >>
    >> I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
    >> Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?
    >>
    >> What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.
    >>
    >> It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
    >> of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual
    >> photo processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and
    >> less heavy users would pay proportionately less.
    >>
    >> It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
    >> only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
    >> And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...
    >>
    >> What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v.
    >> at a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).

    > $20/month is what the PS module will cost you. The CS5 to CS6 upgrade
    > (download only) is $199.
    >
    > CS6 has some new features which had been tempting me. So during the week
    > I made the move, but it was not without having to jump through the
    > hoops. Nowhere on the Adobe site is there an obvious means to buy the
    > CS5-CS6 upgrade, everything is "Creative Cloud".
    >
    > I called the 800-585-0774 sale/service number and expressed my
    > disappointment that they had made this move to the CC and my inability
    > to find a path to the upgrade. I was told that they no longer had DVD
    > editions of the upgrade and full versions of CS6 DVDs would only be
    > available until inventory was depleted.
    >
    > Anyway, I stepped up and bought the upgrade. The download method was
    > also a bit convoluted, but actually took about 3 minutes. I figured I
    > would rather have a copy of CS6 on my HD than pay $20/months until I can
    > no longer understand what I am doing with my cameras and/or computer.
    > From what I have worked through with CS6 so far, I am glad I made the
    > move.

    The download is the same for upgrade or initial purchase. they just give
    you a different serial number.

    > I like LR4 and as I said I like to work with the LR + PS combo. However,
    > for now any further CS upgrade via the CC is out of the question for me.

    I tried LR and found that I didn't use any of its features, except for
    the development module, and that is the same as ACR.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 12, 2013
  11. philo

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/11/2013 8:35 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 May 2013 16:24:39 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2013-05-11 15:15:03 -0700, Alan Browne
    >> <> said:

    >>> I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
    >>>
    >>> I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
    >>> Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?
    >>>
    >>> What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.
    >>>
    >>> It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
    >>> of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual photo
    >>> processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and less
    >>> heavy users would pay proportionately less.
    >>>
    >>> It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
    >>> only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
    >>> And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...
    >>>
    >>> What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v.
    >>> at a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).

    >> $20/month is what the PS module will cost you. The CS5 to CS6 upgrade
    >> (download only) is $199.
    >>
    >> CS6 has some new features which had been tempting me. So during the
    >> week I made the move, but it was not without having to jump through the
    >> hoops. Nowhere on the Adobe site is there an obvious means to buy the
    >> CS5-CS6 upgrade, everything is "Creative Cloud".
    >>
    >> I called the 800-585-0774 sale/service number and expressed my
    >> disappointment that they had made this move to the CC and my inability
    >> to find a path to the upgrade. I was told that they no longer had DVD
    >> editions of the upgrade and full versions of CS6 DVDs would only be
    >> available until inventory was depleted.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I stepped up and bought the upgrade. The download method was
    >> also a bit convoluted, but actually took about 3 minutes. I figured I
    >> would rather have a copy of CS6 on my HD than pay $20/months until I
    >> can no longer understand what I am doing with my cameras and/or
    >> computer. From what I have worked through with CS6 so far, I am glad I
    >> made the move.

    > What new features in CS6 did you like?
    >
    > I've tried "content aware fill" several times and not been all that
    > overwhelmed. Too often, it picks up surrounding content that I don't
    > want. When it works, it works well.

    The content aware fill takes a little getting used to. Sometimes I have
    to do a clone clean up.

    I like the content aware move, and adaptive wide angle. The spot healing
    brush has been improved. The burn and dodge tool is actually usable. YMMV

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 12, 2013
  12. philo

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 11 May 2013 18:52:07 -0700, Savageduck
> [...]

    >>> also a bit convoluted, but actually took about 3 minutes. I figured I
    >>> would rather have a copy of CS6 on my HD than pay $20/months until I
    >>> can no longer understand what I am doing with my cameras and/or
    >>> computer. From what I have worked through with CS6 so far, I am glad I
    >>> made the move.

    >> What new features in CS6 did you like?

    >It might be a bit too soon to say whether I "like" the new features, I
    >said some of the new features "tempted me".
    >
    >First, CS6 has the 2012 ACR process and makes it consistent with LR4.
    >Also many of the adjustment tools in ACR 7.1 are an improvement over
    >earlier versions and the degree of selective adjustment in ACR is
    >improved.
    >
    >Next the new crop and straighten tool also align with the same tool in
    >LR4, but in a slightly different way, and I know I am going to use some
    >of those features which are implemented differently to the way it is
    >done in LR4.
    >
    >The "Adaptive Wide Angle" filter is a very powerful tool and for those
    >who shoot wide angle it seems to be far better for fixing some WA
    >issues than using lens profiles, or the "Lens Correction" filter.
    >
    >For folks such a Peter the new versions of the "liquify" and "Oil
    >Paint" filters might offer them something else to satistify their
    >artistic muse. Again, not something I will be looking at as a primary
    >reason for upgrade.
    >
    >The new "Field Blur", "Iris Blur", and to a much lesser extent the
    >"Tilt Blur" filters are something I would use.
    >
    >The new "Type" menu and text set up is something I can see myself using
    >from time to time.
    >
    >There is a more LR like, user-friendly implementation of "Mini-Bridge".
    >
    >Since this is only my second full day exploring CS6 along with taking
    >in a few Matt Kloskowski and Julieanne Kost videos, I have further
    >exploration to make.
    >
    >While I have been quite satisfied with LR4+CS5, and I could well
    >survive without the CS6 new stuff, I decided that it was time to buy
    >the upgrade.
    >
    >> I've tried "content aware fill" several times and not been all that
    >> overwhelmed. Too often, it picks up surrounding content that I don't
    >> want. When it works, it works well.

    >CS5 had "content aware fill" and certainly you have to be careful in
    >the way you use it. When it works it works well and can be useful.
    >The new "content aware" feature in CS6 is "content aware move". I tried
    >it while going through a check through the stuff which was new to me
    >and it seems to work as promoted, with all the usual caveats as to
    >when, where, and how it should be employed. It is something I can't see
    >myself using too much.
    >

    >I notice that you made the move to CS6 from CS3 some time ago, and I am
    >sure that you are still exploring all the changes between those two
    >versions, which are fare greater than I have to deal with in the move

    Right. "Content aware" was new to me. The only "feature" I don't
    like in 6, compared to 3, is the way the crop tool works. The new
    version is very awkward for me. I'm adapting, though.

    I haven't even tried Content Aware Move. It doesn't fit the type of
    photography that I do.

    I should attempt to work with it, though. It's the kind of thing that
    you don't want to be learning the first time it would be really
    useful.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 12, 2013
  13. philo

    philo  Guest

    On 05/11/2013 02:41 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-05-11 09:26:27 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:27:56 -0500, philo <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
    >> : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
    >> : broke CS6
    >> :
    >> : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
    >>
    >> I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
    >> rent its
    >> replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Wrong end of the problem Bob. Philo should have updated his wife's Win7
    > by getting her a Mac. ;-)

    Every computer that me or my wife have owned has been one I've built
    myself...or was given to me as "scrap" and I've rebuilt it.
    Since one cannot build their own Mac (other than the unreliable
    "Hackentosh" route) there is no way I will go out and buy a "ready made"
    machine.

    (The one exception has been a laptop, which is a whole different story.)

    > As far as Photoshop goes, I will be more than done with any further
    > updates when Adobe stops a solid upgrade path. For now it appears there
    > will be no CS7. So CS6 is the end of the road for me.

    I seriously doubt if my wife is going to go beyond CS-6 either...CS-2
    would probably have been plenty good.

    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo , May 12, 2013
  14. philo

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 12 May 2013 10:23:09 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2013.05.11 19:57 , Tony Cooper wrote:
    >
    >> Then take a look at "Organic Imaging" by Elpical Software. Take a
    >> free test drive on 250 images, and then pay 12.5 cents per image for
    >> up to 5,000 images per month. "Shutterbug" magazine gave it a good
    >> review*, but I haven't tried it.
    >>
    >> www.organicimaging.com

    >Would not install properly on the Mac.

    The article in "Shutterbug" does not bring up platform unless I missed
    it. I admit I scanned the article, but since I have CS6 I'm not
    interested in the program.

    Here's the full review:

    http://www.shutterbug.com/content/organic-imaging-easier-road-photo-editing

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 12, 2013
  15. philo

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/12/2013 9:24 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2013.05.11 19:16 , nospam wrote:
    >> In article <>, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
    >>>
    >>> I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
    >>> Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?

    >> the main advantage to aperture is its integration with idevices and not
    >> needing to use iphoto for photos on them. otherwise, lightroom is much
    >> better.
    >>
    >>> What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.
    >>>
    >>> It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
    >>> of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual photo
    >>> processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and less heavy
    >>> users would pay proportionately less.

    >> that's one way to do it.
    >>
    >>> It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
    >>> only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
    >>> And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...

    >> you can use more than one at a time. launch both illustrator and
    >> photoshop, for instance.

    > No shit. But all I do is photo editing related.
    >

    >>> What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v. at
    >>> a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).

    >> do you own cs3-cs6? if so, it's $10/mo for a single app for the first
    >> year, then it's the standard $20/mo.

    > $240 / yr. is too much. I'll stick to CS5. When I bought it (upgrade
    > from CS3) I burned the install to a DVD and backed it up to an external
    > drive.

    Make sure you save you CS3 install code.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 12, 2013
  16. philo

    philo  Guest

    On 05/12/2013 08:20 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2013.05.12 09:07 , philo wrote:
    >
    >> Every computer that me or my wife have owned has been one I've built
    >> myself...or was given to me as "scrap" and I've rebuilt it.
    >> Since one cannot build their own Mac (other than the unreliable
    >> "Hackentosh" route) there is no way I will go out and buy a "ready made"
    >> machine.

    > Over recent years several young people I know have elected to buy ready
    > made rather than roll their own for two simple reasons:
    >
    > More bang/$
    > Warranty
    >
    > and sometimes "included" software (which is often useless but
    > occasionally good).
    >
    > To be sure you can build a very high performance machine more cheaply by
    > buying parts and slapping them together. But for an ordinary desktop
    > it's much cheaper to buy ready made.
    >
    > Hackintosh's are very reliable (in terms of getting a working outcome -
    > which is what I'm assuming you mean by unreliable) if you use the parts
    > sets described and the installation tools available (which automate much
    > of the process). Even less difficult is to hackintosh a laptop as there
    > is no ambiguity at wrt to components.
    >
    > An "affordable" entry point for a Mac, esp. for windows desktop users,
    > is to buy a Mac Mini. Just use existing monitor, keyboard, mouse,
    > speakers and external drives (if any).

    Since all my friends know I will take surplus equipment off their hands...
    with the exception of one machine I built for my wife using all new
    parts...most of the stuff costs me next to nothing.

    I did successfully build a Hackintosh, but applying *one* update broke
    the whole thing so I decided not to got that route.

    Personally I have used Linux as my main operating system for about the
    last three years. (Been using it at least part time for over 12 years)

    For my purposes GIMP does the job.

    OTOH: My wife has essentially near perfect color vision, so for my
    occasional large color prints, I give the image to her and she adjusts
    them in Photoshop.

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo , May 12, 2013
  17. philo

    philo  Guest

    On 05/12/2013 11:38 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

    > Cheap bastard!
    >
    > (that's a compliment for some people I know.)

    <GRIN>

    Amazing what I do and do not spend money on...I am a bit of an enigma I
    guess.

    I buy most of my clothing 2nd hand at the Goodwill store near my
    house...most of the time a dress like a slob...
    but also have no problem spending a lot of money when I need to.
    Not only have I been known to buy an *expensive* suit on occasion...I
    even own a tux for fancy affairs.

    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/336758_301637443196965_1918185778_o.jpg

    Of course , being a slob at heart...you can see my tie is crooked!
    My wife is not only an artist, she is a gallery director...so the shot
    is not only of me and my wife...but the character "Frank" and the
    painting she did of him. Kind woman, my wife is, she lets me curate a
    photography show every two years or so.

    >> I did successfully build a Hackintosh, but applying *one* update broke
    >> the whole thing so I decided not to got that route.

    > When was that? I believe with the more recent install tools (Unibeast)
    > those sorts of issues are relegated to the past.

    It was a few years ago...I have never heard of Unibeast.
    I did end up buying a used Macbook and it's fine.

    >> Personally I have used Linux as my main operating system for about the
    >> last three years. (Been using it at least part time for over 12 years)

    > I was a part time Linux user from about 2000 thru about 2010. Had it up
    > on several machines over that time and used it for various things
    > (mostly documents (OpenOffice)). My son used it a little for school
    > assignments and browsing.

    I actually have MS Word running under Wine...due to compatibility issues
    I only use OO for documents I do not intend to share...such as "print
    out" only

    > But I had lots of problems with graphics drivers and could not install a
    > device specific driver to get both monitors functioning. (Used the
    > various Linux forums to no avail). Also had issues with another app not
    > installing at all - can't recall which right now.

    I stick with all nVidia graphics and have not had any problems

    > I recently had Ubuntu on my Mac (under Fusion) but didn't use it at all
    > - more just to show people I could run OS X, WinXP and Linux - all at
    > the same time - and move files between them with drag and drop,
    > cut/paste, etc. Also could not get it to work with two monitors (didn't
    > try very hard, I admit).
    >
    > Deleted the container a couple years ago.
    >
    >> For my purposes GIMP does the job.

    > Horrid UI.

    I agree. I gave up on it many times but finally got it figured out.
    Once I did, I could not see why I had such a problem with it...
    but like most others, I sure did.

    >> OTOH: My wife has essentially near perfect color vision, so for my
    >> occasional large color prints, I give the image to her and she adjusts
    >> them in Photoshop.

    > That would also need a proper color management chain.

    Yeah...the wife is great with Photoshop...so I let her do it.
    I just keep the machines running.

    philo , May 12, 2013
  18. philo

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On 2013.05.11 15:41 , Savageduck wrote:
    > > On 2013-05-11 09:26:27 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    > >
    > >> On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:27:56 -0500, philo <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
    > >> : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and it
    > >> : broke CS6
    > >> :
    > >> : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
    > >>
    > >> I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
    > >> rent its
    > >> replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
    > >>
    > >> Bob

    > > Wrong end of the problem Bob. Philo should have updated his wife's Win7
    > > by getting her a Mac. ;-)
    > >
    > > As far as Photoshop goes, I will be more than done with any further
    > > updates when Adobe stops a solid upgrade path. For now it appears there
    > > will be no CS7. So CS6 is the end of the road for me.
    > >
    > > Adobe is only doing the "Creative Cloud" thing to the CS Suite for now.
    > > So, until they kill it off I will continue to update Lightroom if the
    > > features/benefits outweigh to update cost.
    > >
    > > The LR - PS combo still fits my workflow comfortably

    > I'll stop at CS5 for PS. I don't have LR.
    >
    > I might even (shudder) get Aperture - though the reviews for it on the
    > Apple site aren't all that inspiring - maybe only bitchers comment?
    >
    > What Adobe are attempting do is insane pricewise.

    How? Retail on CS6 Master Collection was about $2500. At $50/month you
    can use it for about 5 years before you're up to the retail price. By
    the time five years have come along you'll probably be ready to upgrade
    to the next version, which upgrade would have cost $1200 or so, so now
    you're out to 7 years or so before you've spent more on rent than you
    would on purchase. I don't see this as being "insane".

    > It occurs to me that it would not be offensive if they charged by unit
    > of work done by the rented software (say $1 / peta-flop of actual photo
    > processing). That way heavy users would pay more for it, and less heavy
    > users would pay proportionately less.
    >
    > It's insane to think the entire CS suite is on your computer - you can
    > only use 1 part of it at any time - and most of the time you aren't.
    > And Adobe wants to charge $600 / yr for that...

    How is that more insane than just charging $2500 up front for the same
    software?

    > What about those who just need photoshop? Will there be a monthly v. at
    > a reasonable rate? ($10.00 / month would be acceptable to me).

    A single-app membership is $19.99/month.

    J. Clarke, May 12, 2013
  19. philo

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Sat, 11 May 2013 16:22:34 -0400, nospam <> wrote:
    > : In article <>, Robert Coe
    > : <> wrote:
    > :
    > : > : Just applied the above update to my wife's Win7 (64bit) machine and
    > : > : it broke CS6
    > : > :
    > : > : Uninstalled the update, rebooted and Photoshop is now working fine.
    > : >
    > : > I guess you can't really expect Adobe to fix CS6 for you. But you can
    > : > rent its replacement for the rest of your life. :^)
    > :
    > : yes you most certainly can. adobe has said they are going to continue
    > : to update cs6 for bugs and security issues.
    >
    > What they said, in effect, is that they have no immediate plans not to. DR (I
    > believe it was) published an interview with an Adobe bigshot the other day.
    > Rarely will you see anyone choose his words more carefully.
    >
    > But the truly bizarre position that Adobe seems to be taking is that
    > photographers shouldn't be concerned, because they don't need Photoshop anyway
    > and should be using Lightroom instead. So who does need Photoshop? High-end
    > graphic designers?
    >
    > Another little gem from the mouth of the Adobe spokesman: while the new
    > Photoshop will be rigged to stop working(!) if you haven't paid your bill,
    > you're allowed(!) to uninstall it for free.
    >
    > The other day I attended a lecture/demo by Aaron Nace, who considers himself
    > (justifiably, I guess) to be one of the world's foremost Photoshop experts.
    > Damn! If it had been one week later, I could have asked him what he thought of
    > Adobe's new direction.

    The thing that bothers me is that if you're a working photographer and
    get into financial difficulties, as sometimes happens for people who
    work as independents, you can end up without the tools to do the work
    you need to put food on the table. That's my real objection to the
    rental model. From a cost viewpoint it's rather appealing.

    J. Clarke, May 12, 2013
  20. philo

    nospam Guest

    Re: PING DUCK: Re: KB2799926 warning

    In article <201305121220117987-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > The only RAW files it handles are Canon CR2.

    i don't know what you did, but according to them, it does not support
    raw at all.

    nospam, May 12, 2013