    Anyone know a way to eliminate this problem?

    Win XP on a Pentium using IE

    Thanks, Bill

    WeeWilly, Jan 18, 2006

  2. WeeWilly

    PC Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just downloaded Kazaa and immediately noticed that every forum that I've
    > accessed in the past now has words that are double underlined and
    > colored.. links.. that take me to a RX sponsored website that somehow ties
    > to the underlined word.
    >
    > Anyone know a way to eliminate this problem?
    >
    > Win XP on a Pentium using IE
    >
    > Thanks, Bill

    Bill

    1 Uninstall Kazaa.
    2 Google for, install, update and run: Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy,
    Spyware Blaster, Microsoft Anti Spyware.
    3 Go online and do an online Virus scan (Trend, Panda, Symantec just Google)
    then
    4 Stay away from file sharing programs, there are some that are free of
    spyware if you get them from the authors site, but the whole P2P scene is so
    riddled with Spyware/Malware/Trojans nowdays it's not worth the risk.

    (and don't think it won't happen to you. I've just had a young lass in all
    distraught at loosing 'everything' because something she downloaded with
    Limeware went haywire and blew her user account away, gone, vanished,
    history, just no longer there........)

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 18, 2006

  3. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks to all..........

    WeeWilly, Jan 18, 2006
  4. WeeWilly

    Daave Guest

    PC wrote:

    > 1 Uninstall Kazaa.
    > 2 Google for, install, update and run: Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
    > Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Microsoft Anti Spyware.
    > 3 Go online and do an online Virus scan (Trend, Panda, Symantec just
    > Google) then
    > 4 Stay away from file sharing programs, there are some that are free
    > of spyware if you get them from the authors site, but the whole P2P
    > scene is so riddled with Spyware/Malware/Trojans nowdays it's not
    > worth the risk.

    I haven't used it for a while, but isn't Kazaa Lite alright? WinMX,
    too?

    Dave

    Daave, Jan 20, 2006
  5. WeeWilly

    PC Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote in message
    > PC wrote:
    >
    >> 1 Uninstall Kazaa.
    >> 2 Google for, install, update and run: Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
    >> Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Microsoft Anti Spyware.
    >> 3 Go online and do an online Virus scan (Trend, Panda, Symantec just
    >> Google) then
    >> 4 Stay away from file sharing programs, there are some that are free
    >> of spyware if you get them from the authors site, but the whole P2P
    >> scene is so riddled with Spyware/Malware/Trojans nowdays it's not
    >> worth the risk.

    > I haven't used it for a while, but isn't Kazaa Lite alright? WinMX,
    > too?
    >
    > Dave

    Dave

    As I said 'some are free of spyware'.
    What I wanted the OP to grasp is the 'whole' P2P space is so full of
    'Spyware/Malware/Trojans' that it is simply not worth the frustration of
    cleaning their PC up from 'Colateral Damage' (to paraphrase a famous saying
    from the Veitnam era)

    I get to see quite a few PC's hit with Spy/Mal ware & Trojans that have P2P
    software on them.
    Overall my impression is a few dozen music files a couple of movies and a
    whole lot of part files on affected PC's.
    Depending on what the owner gets done/restored they spend any where from
    US$50 up.

    It strikes me the US$50 would have bought legitimate copies of what they had
    managed to download in the first place.
    Kinda makes P2P pointless to me.

    Paul.

    PC, Jan 21, 2006