Kazaa gone to the pack

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Warwick, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
    offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.

    Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    one is clearly spyware.

    Bastards.

    cheers
     
    Warwick, Aug 16, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Warwick wrote:
    > Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    > themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    > one is clearly spyware.
    > Bastards.


    boy you must have been using an old version, it's had spyware in it for
    quiet some time.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:16:31 +1200, Warwick <> says...
    > Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
    > offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >
    > Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    > themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    > one is clearly spyware.
    >
    > Bastards.


    So why did you suppose it was going to be any different? This info is in
    the public domain.
     
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 16, 2004
    #3
  4. Warwick

    John B Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
    > version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >
    > Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    > themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans,
    > and one is clearly spyware.
    >
    > Bastards.
    >
    > cheers


    Use Kazaa Lite K++

    --
    Nothing that I say here is my final answer. I'm happy to revise,
    retune, or reverse myself anytime I learn something new.

    John B
     
    John B, Aug 16, 2004
    #4
  5. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:39:44 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <> in nz.comp on
    > Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:16:31 +1200, Warwick <> says...
    >> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
    >> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >>
    >> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    >> one is clearly spyware.
    >>
    >> Bastards.

    >
    > So why did you suppose it was going to be any different? This info is in
    > the public domain.


    Maybe you misunderstood me, or perhaps presumed that I would check the web
    for comments/reports on kazaa.

    The version I had been using was spyware, but it was tolerable. Two cydoor
    registry keys from memory. They did sweet FA anyway, and adaware managed
    them fine.

    What is going on in this release is quite different.
    bbss search engine is running flat out trying to connect to the web, this
    is after I closed all the related programs. So its running a service as
    well. There are nags to play on games sites, and a nag to trial a special
    firewall for two months.

    btw in an installation that is less than 24 hours old, adaware found 82
    objects and AVG one virus. I reckon the whole fucking lot came off the
    kazaa install. ( I didn't bother to try and check provenance - which I
    might have been able to do on file creation date/times alone, since the
    install is so new).
     
    Warwick, Aug 16, 2004
    #5
  6. Warwick

    steve Guest

    Warwick wrote:

    > Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
    > offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >
    > Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    > themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    > one is clearly spyware.
    >
    > Bastards.
    >
    > cheers


    You want Kazaa Lite.....which isn't available any more other than from
    people who already have it.

    If you can get onto Kazaa, then you can easily find Kazaa Lite...and
    download it. :)

    Or use some other P2P software.
     
    steve, Aug 16, 2004
    #6
  7. Warwick

    steve Guest

    John B wrote:

    > Warwick wrote:
    >> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
    >> version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >>
    >> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans,
    >> and one is clearly spyware.
    >>
    >> Bastards.
    >>
    >> cheers

    >
    > Use Kazaa Lite K++


    That isn't easily found any more.

    They have been frightened by lawyers and gone to being a paid service.

    You need to get it from people who already have v2.4.2.
     
    steve, Aug 16, 2004
    #7
  8. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:38:42 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Warwick wrote:
    >
    >> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
    >> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >>
    >> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    >> one is clearly spyware.
    >>
    >> Bastards.
    >>
    >> cheers

    >
    > You want Kazaa Lite.....which isn't available any more other than from
    > people who already have it.
    >
    > If you can get onto Kazaa, then you can easily find Kazaa Lite...and
    > download it. :)
    >
    > Or use some other P2P software.


    Hey thanks! That is exactly what I will do.
     
    Warwick, Aug 16, 2004
    #8
  9. On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:38:42 +1200, steve <> wrote:

    >Warwick wrote:
    >
    >> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
    >> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >>
    >> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    >> one is clearly spyware.
    >>
    >> Bastards.
    >>
    >> cheers

    >
    >You want Kazaa Lite.....which isn't available any more other than from
    >people who already have it.
    >
    >If you can get onto Kazaa, then you can easily find Kazaa Lite...and
    >download it. :)
    >
    >Or use some other P2P software.
    >




    Yes K-Lite V2.6, it took 5 dnloads to get one that works..
     
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 16, 2004
    #9
  10. On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:39:41 +1200, steve <> wrote:

    >John B wrote:
    >
    >> Warwick wrote:
    >>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
    >>> version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >>>
    >>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans,
    >>> and one is clearly spyware.
    >>>
    >>> Bastards.
    >>>
    >>> cheers

    >>
    >> Use Kazaa Lite K++

    >
    >That isn't easily found any more.
    >
    >They have been frightened by lawyers and gone to being a paid service.
    >
    >You need to get it from people who already have v2.4.2.




    No you need K-Lite 2.6
     
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 16, 2004
    #10
  11. Warwick

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:28:26 +1200, Warwick <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:39:44 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> In article <> in nz.comp on
    >> Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:16:31 +1200, Warwick <> says...
    >>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
    >>> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >>>
    >>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    >>> one is clearly spyware.
    >>>
    >>> Bastards.

    >>
    >> So why did you suppose it was going to be any different? This info is in
    >> the public domain.

    >
    >Maybe you misunderstood me, or perhaps presumed that I would check the web
    >for comments/reports on kazaa.
    >
    >The version I had been using was spyware, but it was tolerable. Two cydoor
    >registry keys from memory. They did sweet FA anyway, and adaware managed
    >them fine.
    >
    >What is going on in this release is quite different.
    >bbss search engine is running flat out trying to connect to the web, this
    >is after I closed all the related programs. So its running a service as
    >well. There are nags to play on games sites, and a nag to trial a special
    >firewall for two months.
    >

    Yup, and they are so badly written, they'll most likely slow your
    machine to a crawl.

    We see multiple machines daily that are crapping out, full of spyware,
    and slowed to a crawl. 9 times out of 10, Kazaa is installed, with all
    it's little goodies.
     
    Gurble, Aug 16, 2004
    #11
  12. Warwick

    K T T Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
    > offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >
    > Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    > themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    > one is clearly spyware.
    >
    > Bastards.
    >
    > cheers
    >

    Kazaa Lite http://www.oldversion.com/
     
    K T T, Aug 16, 2004
    #12
  13. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:07:31 +1200, K T T wrote:

    > Warwick wrote:
    >> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
    >> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >>
    >> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    >> one is clearly spyware.
    >>
    >> Bastards.
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>

    > Kazaa Lite http://www.oldversion.com/


    From that url :

    " We no longer distribute Kazaa Lite at the request of Sharman Networks,
    Ltd. as Kazaa Lite is an illegal, hacked version of Kazaa. "

    :(, but thanks anyway.

    I am going to try and copy it over, need to copy a couple of registry keys
    I think, as well as the 5 exe files.

    cheers
     
    Warwick, Aug 16, 2004
    #13
  14. Warwick

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    news:1j0t18j5hbxl.1e3bb217z0bz5$...
    > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:07:31 +1200, K T T wrote:
    >
    > > Warwick wrote:
    > >> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The

    version
    > >> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    > >>
    > >> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    > >> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans,

    and
    > >> one is clearly spyware.
    > >>
    > >> Bastards.
    > >>
    > >> cheers
    > >>

    > > Kazaa Lite http://www.oldversion.com/

    >
    > From that url :
    >
    > " We no longer distribute Kazaa Lite at the request of Sharman Networks,
    > Ltd. as Kazaa Lite is an illegal, hacked version of Kazaa. "
    >
    > :(, but thanks anyway.
    >
    > I am going to try and copy it over, need to copy a couple of registry keys
    > I think, as well as the 5 exe files.


    Try: http://www.awake2life.com/klite/mirror.htm
     
    J.Wilson, Aug 16, 2004
    #14
  15. Warwick

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:16:31 +1200, Warwick <> wrote:

    >Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
    >offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >
    >Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
    >one is clearly spyware.
    >
    >Bastards.
    >
    >cheers


    Reminds me of installing Grokster a short while ago. I promply
    uninstalled it after seeing all the junk that came with it - took half
    an hour with three different spyware removal progs and some manual
    digging to get rid of it all.

    You could try Kazaa Lite from
    http://www.geocities.com/ricky_cain2003/kazaalite.html

    But just tried the URL,

    The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data
    transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

    Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again
    later.
     
    GraB, Aug 16, 2004
    #15
  16. Warwick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:07:31 +1200, K T T wrote:
    >
    >> Warwick wrote:
    >>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
    >>> version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been
    >>> using.
    >>>
    >>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like
    >>> trojans, and one is clearly spyware.
    >>>
    >>> Bastards.
    >>>
    >>> cheers
    >>>

    >> Kazaa Lite http://www.oldversion.com/

    >
    > From that url :
    >
    > " We no longer distribute Kazaa Lite at the request of Sharman
    > Networks, Ltd. as Kazaa Lite is an illegal, hacked version of Kazaa. "
    >
    > :(, but thanks anyway.
    >
    > I am going to try and copy it over, need to copy a couple of registry
    > keys I think, as well as the 5 exe files.


    I can email you version 2.43 (K-Lite K++) if you want it. Un-mung my email
    addy and send me an email. It's a 3.2MB file.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2004
    #16
  17. Warwick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > John B wrote:
    >
    >> Warwick wrote:
    >>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
    >>> version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been
    >>> using.
    >>>
    >>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like
    >>> trojans, and one is clearly spyware.
    >>>
    >>> Bastards.
    >>>
    >>> cheers

    >>
    >> Use Kazaa Lite K++

    >
    > That isn't easily found any more.
    >
    > They have been frightened by lawyers and gone to being a paid service.
    >
    > You need to get it from people who already have v2.4.2.


    I'm using Kazaa Lite K++ 2.43 and it seems fine.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2004
    #17
  18. Warwick

    John B Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Warwick wrote:
    >
    >> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
    >> version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
    >>
    >> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like
    >> trojans, and one is clearly spyware.
    >>
    >> Bastards.
    >>
    >> cheers

    >
    > You want Kazaa Lite.....which isn't available any more other than from
    > people who already have it.
    >
    > If you can get onto Kazaa, then you can easily find Kazaa Lite...and
    > download it. :)
    >
    > Or use some other P2P software.


    Do an alta vista search for Kazaa Lite K++.

    --
    Nothing that I say here is my final answer. I'm happy to revise,
    retune, or reverse myself anytime I learn something new.

    John B
     
    John B, Aug 16, 2004
    #18
  19. Warwick

    John B Guest

    steve wrote:
    > John B wrote:
    >
    >> Warwick wrote:
    >>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
    >>> version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been
    >>> using.
    >>>
    >>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like
    >>> trojans, and one is clearly spyware.
    >>>
    >>> Bastards.
    >>>
    >>> cheers

    >>
    >> Use Kazaa Lite K++

    >
    > That isn't easily found any more.
    >
    > They have been frightened by lawyers and gone to being a paid service.
    >
    > You need to get it from people who already have v2.4.2.


    I d/loaded it after an Alta Vista search couple of weeks ago. Ver 2.4.3

    --
    Nothing that I say here is my final answer. I'm happy to revise,
    retune, or reverse myself anytime I learn something new.

    John B
     
    John B, Aug 16, 2004
    #19
  20. On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:00:31 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Warwick wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:07:31 +1200, K T T wrote:
    >>
    >>> Warwick wrote:
    >>>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
    >>>> version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been
    >>>> using.
    >>>>
    >>>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
    >>>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like
    >>>> trojans, and one is clearly spyware.
    >>>>
    >>>> Bastards.
    >>>>
    >>>> cheers
    >>>>
    >>> Kazaa Lite http://www.oldversion.com/

    >>
    >> From that url :
    >>
    >> " We no longer distribute Kazaa Lite at the request of Sharman
    >> Networks, Ltd. as Kazaa Lite is an illegal, hacked version of Kazaa. "
    >>
    >> :(, but thanks anyway.
    >>
    >> I am going to try and copy it over, need to copy a couple of registry
    >> keys I think, as well as the 5 exe files.

    >
    >I can email you version 2.43 (K-Lite K++) if you want it. Un-mung my email
    >addy and send me an email. It's a 3.2MB file.




    Its upto 2.6...

    That is a OLD Version..
     
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 16, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ajacobs2

    Poor Mans NIMH Battery Pack and SLA Battery Pack

    ajacobs2, Aug 19, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    601
    ajacobs2
    Aug 19, 2003
  2. Replies:
    6
    Views:
    891
    forkart
    Sep 17, 2006
  3. Rich Olver

    Buy 1 pack or 3 pack? (XP Pro x64)

    Rich Olver, Nov 24, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    618
    =?Utf-8?B?VHJla2dhdGVy?=
    Nov 25, 2006
  4. Starkey

    Has orcon gone to the pack again(adsl)

    Starkey, Jan 30, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    394
    Dave Taylor
    Feb 1, 2005
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    When Is A Visaster Service Pack Not A Service Pack?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 26, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    481
Loading...

Share This Page