Kaspersky trial broke my IE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jess Q Rius, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. Jess Q Rius

    Jess Q Rius Guest

    I'm running Win98SE on an AMD K6II 400 mhz system. Windows is managing my
    Virtual Memory. I'm on cable connection, running ZoneAlarm personal
    firewall.

    I let my NAV 2000 lapse and got nailed yesterday with some viruses. I ran
    Spybot before I discovered the viruses.

    Rather than try to work with NAV 2000, I downloaded the latest trial of
    Kaspersky. I set up the trial with the recommended settings.

    Outlook Express works OK and Xnews is working OK, but IE is crash & burn.

    Whenever I try to open a link, I get the IE window with a small KAV Icon at
    the bottom. This icon scrambles into lines and dots but nothing happens.
    I though it might be from web site cookies, but when I got the Google
    screen and tried to open Google, I got invalid page fault errors, or a
    bluescreen. Two codes I was able to copy down were:IE caused an invalid
    page fault Kernel 32.DLL at 0167:bff9da1a, then (Bluescreen) Fatal
    Exception 0167:BFF9DFF.

    I tried disabling my realtime protection. Invalid page fault. Dropped my
    Zone Alarm firewall to medium to see if that would help. Didn't seem to do
    anything so I reset the KAV to default and brought my firewall up to
    maximum again.

    I'm pretty sure the problem is with a KAV setting, but I've downloaded the
    latest virus definitions and will run Spybot after that.

    Any pointers?

    TIA

    Jess Q Rius, Apr 2, 2005

  2. Was: Kaspersky trial broke my IE, Now: I let viruses screw up myIE

    Jess Q Rius wrote:
    > I'm running Win98SE on an AMD K6II 400 mhz system. Windows is managing my
    > Virtual Memory. I'm on cable connection, running ZoneAlarm personal
    > firewall.
    >
    > I let my NAV 2000 lapse and got nailed yesterday with some viruses. I ran
    > Spybot before I discovered the viruses.
    >
    > Rather than try to work with NAV 2000, I downloaded the latest trial of
    > Kaspersky. I set up the trial with the recommended settings.
    >
    > Outlook Express works OK and Xnews is working OK, but IE is crash & burn.
    >
    > Whenever I try to open a link, I get the IE window with a small KAV Icon at
    > the bottom. This icon scrambles into lines and dots but nothing happens.
    > I though it might be from web site cookies, but when I got the Google
    > screen and tried to open Google, I got invalid page fault errors, or a
    > bluescreen. Two codes I was able to copy down were:IE caused an invalid
    > page fault Kernel 32.DLL at 0167:bff9da1a, then (Bluescreen) Fatal
    > Exception 0167:BFF9DFF.
    >
    > I tried disabling my realtime protection. Invalid page fault. Dropped my
    > Zone Alarm firewall to medium to see if that would help. Didn't seem to do
    > anything so I reset the KAV to default and brought my firewall up to
    > maximum again.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the problem is with a KAV setting, but I've downloaded the
    > latest virus definitions and will run Spybot after that.
    >
    > Any pointers?

    Why do you think a highly thought of anti-virus screwed up a widely
    scorned browser *after* you let some viruses have their way with it?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 2, 2005

  3. Jess Q Rius

    trout Guest

    Jess Q Rius wrote:

    > I'm running Win98SE on an AMD K6II 400 mhz system. Windows is
    > managing my Virtual Memory. I'm on cable connection, running
    > ZoneAlarm personal firewall.
    >
    > I let my NAV 2000 lapse and got nailed yesterday with some viruses.
    > I ran Spybot before I discovered the viruses.
    >
    > Rather than try to work with NAV 2000, I downloaded the latest trial
    > of Kaspersky. I set up the trial with the recommended settings.
    >
    > Outlook Express works OK and Xnews is working OK, but IE is crash &
    > burn.
    >
    > Whenever I try to open a link, I get the IE window with a small KAV
    > Icon at the bottom. This icon scrambles into lines and dots but
    > nothing happens. I though it might be from web site cookies, but when
    > I got the Google screen and tried to open Google, I got invalid page
    > fault errors, or a bluescreen. Two codes I was able to copy down
    > were:IE caused an invalid page fault Kernel 32.DLL at 0167:bff9da1a,
    > then (Bluescreen) Fatal Exception 0167:BFF9DFF.
    >
    > I tried disabling my realtime protection. Invalid page fault.
    > Dropped my Zone Alarm firewall to medium to see if that would help.
    > Didn't seem to do anything so I reset the KAV to default and brought
    > my firewall up to maximum again.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the problem is with a KAV setting, but I've
    > downloaded the latest virus definitions and will run Spybot after
    > that.
    >
    > Any pointers?
    >
    > TIA

    Get the system cleaned up, first. Then, I'd try a repair of IE. In
    the Control Panel; Add/Remove programs; double-click "Microsoft Internet
    Explorer...." and select Repair.
    --
    Then run an anti-spy/adware program to get rid of "Alexa".

    trout, Apr 2, 2005
  4. Jess Q Rius

    °Mike° Guest

    Kaspersky is NOT your problem; your virus damaged
    system is your problem -- time for a reformat.

    In <Xns962BC479A2AB3phoneybaloney7890com@64.59.144.76>,
    Jess Q Rius took 32 lines to utter:

    <snip>

    >I let my NAV 2000 lapse and got nailed yesterday with some viruses. I ran
    >Spybot before I discovered the viruses.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 2, 2005
  5. Jess Q Rius

    elaich Guest

    Jess Q Rius <> wrote in

    > I let my NAV 2000 lapse and got nailed yesterday with some viruses.

    This never fails to amaze me. Just how the hell do people get "nailed" with
    viruses? Are they so freakin' dumb that they run IE with Install On Demand
    enabled while they visit porn websites? Do they automatically open
    attachments in SPAM emails to see what present some friendly soul sent
    them?

    elaich, Apr 2, 2005
  6. Jess Q Rius

    Plato Guest

    Jess Q Rius wrote:

    > I'm running Win98SE on an AMD K6II 400 mhz system. Windows is managing my
    > I let my NAV 2000 lapse and got nailed yesterday with some viruses. I ran

    Run f-prot for dos after a booting with a clean bootdisk and clean your
    system using f-prot.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 2, 2005
  7. Jess Q Rius

    Plato Guest

    elaich wrote:

    > > I let my NAV 2000 lapse and got nailed yesterday with some viruses.

    > This never fails to amaze me. Just how the hell do people get "nailed" with
    > viruses? Are they so freakin' dumb that they run IE with Install On Demand
    > enabled while they visit porn websites? Do they automatically open
    > attachments in SPAM emails to see what present some friendly soul sent
    > them?

    All of the above.

    Plato, Apr 2, 2005