Kaspersky prevents internet connectivity???

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Louise, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. Louise

    Louise Guest

    After deciding to part company with Norton antivirus 2002, I was able to
    uninstall it using add remove programs without incident.

    Before uninstalling I chose my next antivirus program: Kaspersky.

    After the installing NAV, I disconnected the cat 5 cable from my modem
    (Roadrunner cable). I then installed Kaspersky, rebooted and
    reconnected the Internet cable. I had no connectivity.

    A few boots later, I called my ISP, Road Runner, and attempted in many
    ways to get a DNS address -- always unsuccessfully.

    I finally uninstalled Kaspersky and suddenly I had connectivity again.
    Not believing this was really possible, I tried it again only to have
    the same thing occur.

    Has anyone ever heard of Kaspersky interfering with Internet
    connectivity and the acquisition of a DNS?

    BTW, I'm now running a trial version of F-Secure Antivirus and it seems
    to be going fine.

    Louise
    Louise, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Louise

    Gary Guest

    Kaspersky has network attack protection that is basically a firewall which
    you can disable if you use a different firewall. What you could do is leave
    your modem connected and enable Windows firewall if you are running WinXP
    and then during the install of KAV there is an option to disable the network
    attacks by un checking use recommended options then it will take you to
    where you can disable it. Hope this helps.
    Gary, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Louise

    Louise Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Kaspersky has network attack protection that is basically a firewall which
    > you can disable if you use a different firewall. What you could do is leave
    > your modem connected and enable Windows firewall if you are running WinXP
    > and then during the install of KAV there is an option to disable the network
    > attacks by un checking use recommended options then it will take you to
    > where you can disable it. Hope this helps.

    Thanks for explaining this.

    It would have been really nice if that had been prominently displayed
    somewhere. It would have saved me and Road Runner a lot of grief.

    What do you think of F-Secure Anti-Virus? I'm running Sygate firewall.

    Louise
    Louise, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Louise

    Quaoar Guest

    Louise wrote:
    > After deciding to part company with Norton antivirus 2002, I was able
    > to uninstall it using add remove programs without incident.
    >
    > Before uninstalling I chose my next antivirus program: Kaspersky.
    >
    > After the installing NAV, I disconnected the cat 5 cable from my modem
    > (Roadrunner cable). I then installed Kaspersky, rebooted and
    > reconnected the Internet cable. I had no connectivity.
    >
    > A few boots later, I called my ISP, Road Runner, and attempted in many
    > ways to get a DNS address -- always unsuccessfully.
    >
    > I finally uninstalled Kaspersky and suddenly I had connectivity again.
    > Not believing this was really possible, I tried it again only to have
    > the same thing occur.
    >
    > Has anyone ever heard of Kaspersky interfering with Internet
    > connectivity and the acquisition of a DNS?
    >
    > BTW, I'm now running a trial version of F-Secure Antivirus and it
    > seems to be going fine.
    >
    > Louise

    Check TCP/IP settings for your connection, Advanced Button, navigate to
    Options tab, TCP/IP filtering Properties. If Enable is checked, first
    set all buttons to Permit All, then uncheck the Enable button.

    Quaoar, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Louise

    Louise Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Louise wrote:
    > > After deciding to part company with Norton antivirus 2002, I was able
    > > to uninstall it using add remove programs without incident.
    > >
    > > Before uninstalling I chose my next antivirus program: Kaspersky.
    > >
    > > After the installing NAV, I disconnected the cat 5 cable from my modem
    > > (Roadrunner cable). I then installed Kaspersky, rebooted and
    > > reconnected the Internet cable. I had no connectivity.
    > >
    > > A few boots later, I called my ISP, Road Runner, and attempted in many
    > > ways to get a DNS address -- always unsuccessfully.
    > >
    > > I finally uninstalled Kaspersky and suddenly I had connectivity again.
    > > Not believing this was really possible, I tried it again only to have
    > > the same thing occur.
    > >
    > > Has anyone ever heard of Kaspersky interfering with Internet
    > > connectivity and the acquisition of a DNS?
    > >
    > > BTW, I'm now running a trial version of F-Secure Antivirus and it
    > > seems to be going fine.
    > >
    > > Louise

    > Check TCP/IP settings for your connection, Advanced Button, navigate to
    > Options tab, TCP/IP filtering Properties. If Enable is checked, first
    > set all buttons to Permit All, then uncheck the Enable button.

    Thanks for the replies. I did indeed find the tcp/ip connections all
    wrong and couldn't fix them - they kept going to the Windows default
    which wouldn't work. I've uninstalled Kaspersky. I don't want
    something that causes that much trouble.

    See my new post about Avast :)

    Louise
    Louise, Jun 25, 2005
  6. Louise

    Quaoar Guest

    Louise wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Louise wrote:
    >>> After deciding to part company with Norton antivirus 2002, I was
    >>> able to uninstall it using add remove programs without incident.
    >>>
    >>> Before uninstalling I chose my next antivirus program: Kaspersky.
    >>>
    >>> After the installing NAV, I disconnected the cat 5 cable from my
    >>> modem (Roadrunner cable). I then installed Kaspersky, rebooted and
    >>> reconnected the Internet cable. I had no connectivity.
    >>>
    >>> A few boots later, I called my ISP, Road Runner, and attempted in
    >>> many ways to get a DNS address -- always unsuccessfully.
    >>>
    >>> I finally uninstalled Kaspersky and suddenly I had connectivity
    >>> again. Not believing this was really possible, I tried it again
    >>> only to have the same thing occur.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone ever heard of Kaspersky interfering with Internet
    >>> connectivity and the acquisition of a DNS?
    >>>
    >>> BTW, I'm now running a trial version of F-Secure Antivirus and it
    >>> seems to be going fine.
    >>>
    >>> Louise

    >> Check TCP/IP settings for your connection, Advanced Button, navigate
    >> to Options tab, TCP/IP filtering Properties. If Enable is checked,
    >> first set all buttons to Permit All, then uncheck the Enable button.

    > Thanks for the replies. I did indeed find the tcp/ip connections all
    > wrong and couldn't fix them - they kept going to the Windows default
    > which wouldn't work. I've uninstalled Kaspersky. I don't want
    > something that causes that much trouble.
    >
    > See my new post about Avast :)
    >
    > Louise

    If you cannot set "Permit All", then you should consider re-installing
    the OS, having XP SP2 available on CD. Kaspersky is not the problem.

    Even if you have only a single PC connected to internet, buy a NAT
    router with firewall. Your problems will likely disappear.

    Quaoar, Jun 26, 2005
  7. Louise

    Gary Guest

    On 25-Jun-2005, Louise <> wrote:

    > Thanks for explaining this.
    >
    > It would have been really nice if that had been prominently displayed
    > somewhere. It would have saved me and Road Runner a lot of grief.
    >
    > What do you think of F-Secure Anti-Virus? I'm running Sygate firewall.
    >
    > Louise

    KAV has one of the best detection engines out there when it come to Trojans.
    I have had a lot of problems with other AV's missing viruses and had to
    return to a customer to remove them. Since I have been installing KAV on
    there computers I have not had any return calls. So my fingers are crossed I
    won't have a return call. They tell me that KAV has detected viruses since I
    have installed it. It has been about 18 months I have been installing on
    other computers.
    Gary, Jun 26, 2005
  8. Louise

    Louise Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Louise wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Check TCP/IP settings for your connection, Advanced Button, navigate
    > >> to Options tab, TCP/IP filtering Properties. If Enable is checked,
    > >> first set all buttons to Permit All, then uncheck the Enable button.

    > > Thanks for the replies. I did indeed find the tcp/ip connections all
    > > wrong and couldn't fix them - they kept going to the Windows default
    > > which wouldn't work. I've uninstalled Kaspersky. I don't want
    > > something that causes that much trouble.
    > >
    > > See my new post about Avast :)
    > >
    > > Louise

    > If you cannot set "Permit All", then you should consider re-installing
    > the OS, having XP SP2 available on CD. Kaspersky is not the problem.
    >
    > Even if you have only a single PC connected to internet, buy a NAT
    > router with firewall. Your problems will likely disappear.

    I have a Linksys router and it was active when all the problems
    occurred. It may very well be some oddity on my system but I'd rather
    use a different AV than reinstall windows and all the many utilities,
    settings etc. that I've configured over two years.

    I defrag, clean the registry (JV16) and generally take the time to
    maintain the system.

    What I am shocked about is how much faster the whole system is without
    Norton.

    How much more of a risk am I taking by using Avast rather than
    Kaspersky?

    Louise
    Louise, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Louise

    KH Guest

    KH, Jul 9, 2005
  10. Louise

    Louise Guest

    In article <GgHze.56440$R21.6092@lakeread06>,
    says...
    > Well norton uses alot of system memory to perform it's many functions.
    >
    > I personally recommend Avast! Anti-virus. It's totaly free and comes with
    > all the functionality of a paid anti-virus. Also it's detection
    > capabilities are great. It comes with free, lifetime, full updates.
    > You can download it at:
    > http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10375520.html?tag=lst-0-1

    I'm using Avast now. I'm using a trial version of the Pro version
    because I want script blocking for the occasional times I use IE. I
    have all MS firewall stuff turned off and would rather keep it that way.

    I agree, sofar, Avast is awesome and has almost no impact upon the speed
    of my machine.

    Louise
    Louise, Jul 13, 2005