  1. My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A
    young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now wondering
    if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    Peter Clements, Jan 2, 2010

  2. Peter Clements

    Mike Easter Guest

    Peter Clements wrote:
    Subject: K8V-MX Motherboard.

    Asus webpage specs

    http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=dJ2XP7zr8tzeYbLp

    > My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A
    > young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now wondering
    > if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    Yes

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 2, 2010

  3. Peter Clements

    chuckcar Guest

    Peter Clements <> wrote in

    > My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A

    448 MB one would assume. M=1024x1024, B=8 b or bits.

    > young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now wondering
    > if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    What OS are you running, and have you tried disabling startup?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 2, 2010
  4. Peter Clements

    Buffalo Guest

    Peter Clements wrote:
    > My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A
    > young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now wondering
    > if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    From the links the others gave:

    "2 x DIMM, max. 2GB, DDR400/ 333/ 266, ECC, non-ECC, un-buffered memory" for
    the Asus MB K8V-MX

    If you still had 14% left that should be plenty.
    Unused ram is wasted ram.

    You could use a utility to see how much ram and virutal ram is being used.
    Many other things can slow you computer down also, like a Hard Disk Drive
    with very little free space, a clogged or non-working cpu heatsink
    (overheating). malware etc.,too many programs running at one time, and many
    more things.
    If the ram really helps a lot, than good.

    Hope he's not charging too much as ram is very easy to install and that ram
    is very cheap. (around $20-40 per stick)
    DDR PC3200 or DDR PC2700 low density ram (128x64) non-ECC and unbuffered
    should be what you need. Two sticks of 1GB each.

    Enjoy,

    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Jan 2, 2010
  5. Peter Clements

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Clements <> wrote in
    >
    >> My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A

    > 448 MB one would assume. M=1024x1024, B=8 b or bits.
    >
    >> young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now wondering
    >> if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    > What OS are you running, and have you tried disabling startup?

    What a fucking stupid answer.

    rf, Jan 3, 2010
  6. Peter Clements

    freemont Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 00:02:36 +0000, rf writ:

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> Peter Clements <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A

    >> 448 MB one would assume. M=1024x1024, B=8 b or bits.
    >>
    >>> young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now wondering
    >>> if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    >> What OS are you running, and have you tried disabling startup?

    > What a fucking stupid answer.

    Another one for the file.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

    freemont, Jan 3, 2010
  7. Peter Clements

    chuckcar Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> Peter Clements <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A

    >> 448 MB one would assume. M=1024x1024, B=8 b or bits.
    >>
    >>> young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now
    >>> wondering if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    >> What OS are you running, and have you tried disabling startup?

    > What a fucking stupid answer.

    It doesn't even come close to your reply.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 3, 2010
  8. Peter Clements

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "rf" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> Peter Clements <> wrote in

    >>> 448 MB one would assume. M=1024x1024, B=8 b or bits.

    >>> What OS are you running, and have you tried disabling startup?

    >> What a fucking stupid answer.
    >>

    > It doesn't even come close to your reply.

    Correct. My reply is *way* more useful to the OP, if it convinces the OP
    that your reply has absolutely no relevance at all to his question.

    I think freemont has the right idea. Collect all of your idiotic and
    irrelevent replies and publish them somewhere so anybody with any sort of
    question will know in advance what sort of useless crap you will post, and
    know in advance to ignore it.

    rf, Jan 3, 2010
  9. On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 13:27:53 -0600, Grinder <>
    wrote:

    >On 1/2/2010 1:13 PM, Peter Clements wrote:
    >> My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A
    >> young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now wondering
    >> if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    >http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=dJ2XP7zr8tzeYbLp&content=specifications
    >
    >It would have been very easy for you just to look this up for yourself.

    Thanks Grinder but that is my problem. My computer is just failing all
    the time. I had a remote assistance chap check my computer over the
    new year because it was going so slow and he advised increasing the
    RAM. I previously had downloaded some MS security programs and that
    appears to have taken my computer out. The remote assistance chap
    removed a few and now it is working but very slowly. A young chap was
    due here yesterday to fit 2Gb RAM but he didn't make it and hopefully
    he will do the job today. By the way if I had found the site you
    posted a link to I still would not have understood it.

    Peter Clements, Jan 3, 2010
  10. On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 11:29:04 -0800, Mike Easter <>
    wrote:

    >Peter Clements wrote:
    >Subject: K8V-MX Motherboard.
    >
    >Asus webpage specs
    >
    >http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=dJ2XP7zr8tzeYbLp
    >
    >> My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A
    >> young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now wondering
    >> if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    >Yes

    Many thanks Mike. I just hope the youngster turns up today.

    Peter Clements, Jan 3, 2010
  11. On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 21:27:09 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Peter Clements <> wrote in
    >
    >> My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A

    >448 MB one would assume. M=1024x1024, B=8 b or bits.
    >
    >> young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now wondering
    >> if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    >What OS are you running, and have you tried disabling startup?

    I am running XP home fully updated. What would I achieve if I
    discovered how to disable startup?

    Peter Clements, Jan 3, 2010
  12. On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:15:53 -0700, "Buffalo" <>
    wrote:

    >Peter Clements wrote:
    >> My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A
    >> young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now wondering
    >> if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    >From the links the others gave:
    >
    >"2 x DIMM, max. 2GB, DDR400/ 333/ 266, ECC, non-ECC, un-buffered memory" for
    >the Asus MB K8V-MX
    >
    >If you still had 14% left that should be plenty.
    >Unused ram is wasted ram.
    >
    >You could use a utility to see how much ram and virutal ram is being used.
    >Many other things can slow you computer down also, like a Hard Disk Drive
    >with very little free space, a clogged or non-working cpu heatsink
    >(overheating). malware etc.,too many programs running at one time, and many
    >more things.
    >If the ram really helps a lot, than good.
    >
    >Hope he's not charging too much as ram is very easy to install and that ram
    >is very cheap. (around $20-40 per stick)
    >DDR PC3200 or DDR PC2700 low density ram (128x64) non-ECC and unbuffered
    >should be what you need. Two sticks of 1GB each.

    Thanks Buffalo. I don't know what he will charge until he gets here. I
    don't understand the equation you used but I have checked through
    nearly everything I can think of and know how to. My HD is 50% used
    but I am running a lot of programs and possibly they are running at
    the same time. I just hope the new RAM turns up today and fixes the
    problem.

    Peter Clements, Jan 3, 2010
  13. Peter Clements

    Buffalo Guest

    Peter Clements wrote:
    > On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:15:53 -0700, "Buffalo" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Peter Clements wrote:
    >>> My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A
    >>> young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now
    >>> wondering if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    >> From the links the others gave:
    >>
    >> "2 x DIMM, max. 2GB, DDR400/ 333/ 266, ECC, non-ECC, un-buffered
    >> memory" for the Asus MB K8V-MX
    >>
    >> If you still had 14% left that should be plenty.
    >> Unused ram is wasted ram.
    >>
    >> You could use a utility to see how much ram and virutal ram is being
    >> used. Many other things can slow you computer down also, like a Hard
    >> Disk Drive with very little free space, a clogged or non-working cpu
    >> heatsink (overheating). malware etc.,too many programs running at
    >> one time, and many more things.
    >> If the ram really helps a lot, than good.
    >>
    >> Hope he's not charging too much as ram is very easy to install and
    >> that ram is very cheap. (around $20-40 per stick)
    >> DDR PC3200 or DDR PC2700 low density ram (128x64) non-ECC and
    >> unbuffered should be what you need. Two sticks of 1GB each.

    > Thanks Buffalo. I don't know what he will charge until he gets here. I
    > don't understand the equation you used but I have checked through
    > nearly everything I can think of and know how to. My HD is 50% used
    > but I am running a lot of programs and possibly they are running at
    > the same time. I just hope the new RAM turns up today and fixes the
    > problem.

    50% free space is more than enough for your HDD.
    The 'equation' was not really an equation,. it is just identifying
    low-density memory,which is preferred for many motherboards.
    Some mbs will not recognize all the memory (or even work) if it is
    'high-density' (usually cheaper), but many will.
    Don't worry about it at all.
    If you installed 'Windows Security Essentials', that may well be what is
    causing your system to go slow.
    If so, you may want to uninstall it and install another anti-virus program.

    Remember, do not run two anti-virus programs at the same time.
    Same goes for anti-malware programs.

    The free version of Avira AntiVir doesn't use a lot of PC power or resources
    and it is very good.
    Hopefully the lad who is going to install your Ram is knowledgeable about XP
    and can check how many programs you have running at Startup.

    Malware can also really slow down your PC.
    Dl, install, update and run the free version of MBAM (MalwareBytes
    AntiMalware)
    http://malwarebytes.org/
    Also , dl, install, update and run the free version of SAS
    (SuperAntiSpyware), I use the paid version.
    http://superantispyware.com/

    Both of the free versions will detect and remove just as well as the paid
    versions. The free versions are 'on demand' only and the paid versions are
    'real-time'. There are some other differences, but both will fix the
    problems as well with no charge.
    You can uninstall them after you use them, if you wish.

    Hope it all works out for you and please post back.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Jan 3, 2010
  14. On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:02:59 -0600, Grinder <>
    wrote:

    >On 1/3/2010 12:07 AM, Peter Clements wrote:
    >> On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 13:27:53 -0600, Grinder<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=dJ2XP7zr8tzeYbLp&content=specifications
    >>>
    >>> It would have been very easy for you just to look this up for yourself.

    >> Thanks Grinder but that is my problem. My computer is just failing all
    >> the time. I had a remote assistance chap check my computer over the
    >> new year because it was going so slow and he advised increasing the
    >> RAM. I previously had downloaded some MS security programs and that
    >> appears to have taken my computer out. The remote assistance chap
    >> removed a few and now it is working but very slowly. A young chap was
    >> due here yesterday to fit 2Gb RAM but he didn't make it and hopefully
    >> he will do the job today. By the way if I had found the site you
    >> posted a link to I still would not have understood it.

    >A boost from 448MB to 1984MB RAM (installed RAM - 64MB for video) is not
    >going to miraculously renovate you web browsing. I hope you didn't pay
    >too much on that promise.

    Hi Grinder. The blighter didn't turn up. Two days running I cancelled
    everything to be at home all for nothing.

    Peter Clements, Jan 3, 2010
  15. Peter Clements

    Mike Easter Guest

    Peter Clements wrote:

> [...]

    Don't forget about the most common causes of a computer 'becoming' slow
    -- the amount of ram you have now is the same amount you had in the past
    before your computer became slower. It isn't wearing out.

    You have not reviewed here what measures you have taken to eliminate all
    possibilities of malware.

    >>> My computer is just failing all
    >>> the time. I had a remote assistance chap check my computer over the
    >>> new year because it was going so slow and he advised increasing the
    >>> RAM. I previously had downloaded some MS security programs and that
    >>> appears to have taken my computer out.

    IMO the two most common drains on resources are malware and anti-malware.

    > Hi Grinder. The blighter didn't turn up. Two days running I cancelled
    > everything to be at home all for nothing.

    While you are waiting would be a good time to review what you are doing
    and what you have done about malware.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 3, 2010
  16. On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 10:41:23 -0700, "Buffalo" <>
    wrote:

    >Peter Clements wrote:
    >> On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:15:53 -0700, "Buffalo" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> From the links the others gave:
    >>>
    >>> "2 x DIMM, max. 2GB, DDR400/ 333/ 266, ECC, non-ECC, un-buffered
    >>> memory" for the Asus MB K8V-MX
    >>>
    >>> If you still had 14% left that should be plenty.
    >>> Unused ram is wasted ram.
    >>>
    >>> You could use a utility to see how much ram and virutal ram is being
    >>> used. Many other things can slow you computer down also, like a Hard
    >>> Disk Drive with very little free space, a clogged or non-working cpu
    >>> heatsink (overheating). malware etc.,too many programs running at
    >>> one time, and many more things.
    >>> If the ram really helps a lot, than good.
    >>>
    >>> Hope he's not charging too much as ram is very easy to install and
    >>> that ram is very cheap. (around $20-40 per stick)
    >>> DDR PC3200 or DDR PC2700 low density ram (128x64) non-ECC and
    >>> unbuffered should be what you need. Two sticks of 1GB each.

    >> Thanks Buffalo. I don't know what he will charge until he gets here. I
    >> don't understand the equation you used but I have checked through
    >> nearly everything I can think of and know how to. My HD is 50% used
    >> but I am running a lot of programs and possibly they are running at
    >> the same time. I just hope the new RAM turns up today and fixes the
    >> problem.

    >50% free space is more than enough for your HDD.
    >The 'equation' was not really an equation,. it is just identifying
    >low-density memory,which is preferred for many motherboards.
    >Some mbs will not recognize all the memory (or even work) if it is
    >'high-density' (usually cheaper), but many will.
    >Don't worry about it at all.
    >If you installed 'Windows Security Essentials', that may well be what is
    >causing your system to go slow.
    >If so, you may want to uninstall it and install another anti-virus program.
    >
    >Remember, do not run two anti-virus programs at the same time.
    >Same goes for anti-malware programs.
    >
    >The free version of Avira AntiVir doesn't use a lot of PC power or resources
    >and it is very good.
    >Hopefully the lad who is going to install your Ram is knowledgeable about XP
    >and can check how many programs you have running at Startup.
    >
    >Malware can also really slow down your PC.
    >Dl, install, update and run the free version of MBAM (MalwareBytes
    >AntiMalware)
    >http://malwarebytes.org/
    >Also , dl, install, update and run the free version of SAS
    >(SuperAntiSpyware), I use the paid version.
    >http://superantispyware.com/
    >
    >Both of the free versions will detect and remove just as well as the paid
    >versions. The free versions are 'on demand' only and the paid versions are
    >'real-time'. There are some other differences, but both will fix the
    >problems as well with no charge.
    >You can uninstall them after you use them, if you wish.
    >
    >Hope it all works out for you and please post back.

    So far I have managed the Malware Scan as that took 2 hours 33 minutes
    and 22 seconds. It scanned 275460 objects which included drives C, F,
    H (an external HD with 126Gb on it) and I.
    This is the result;
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.43
    Database version: 3488
    Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

    03/01/2010 23:42:59
    mbam-log-2010-01-03 (23-42-59).txt

    Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|F:\|H:\|)
    Objects scanned: 275460
    Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 33 minute(s), 22 second(s)

    Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 1
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 0

    Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

    Memory Modules Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

    Registry Keys Infected:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\fcn (Rogue.Residue) -> Quarantined and
    deleted successfully.

    Registry Values Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

    Registry Data Items Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

    Folders Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

    Files Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)
    ______________________________________

    I have removed the Rogue and now I will start superantispyware.

    Peter Clements, Jan 3, 2010
  17. Peter Clements

    Buffalo Guest

    Peter Clements wrote:
    [snip]
    > Registry Keys Infected:
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\fcn (Rogue.Residue) -> Quarantined and
    > deleted successfully.
    >
    > Registry Values Infected:
    > (No malicious items detected)
    >
    > Registry Data Items Infected:
    > (No malicious items detected)
    >
    > Folders Infected:
    > (No malicious items detected)
    >
    > Files Infected:
    > (No malicious items detected)
    > ______________________________________
    >
    > I have removed the Rogue and now I will start superantispyware.

    Thanks for the update.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Jan 4, 2010
  18. Peter Clements

    Mike Easter Guest

    Peter Clements wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> IMO the two most common drains on resources are malware and
    >> anti-malware.

    >> While you are waiting would be a good time to review what you are

    doing
    >> and what you have done about malware.

    > I started by downloading Mozy and that has now backed up 126Gb and is
    > just coasting now. As my computer became slow I tried Microsoft
    > Security and that probably overloaded my computer.

    I read conflicting reports on whether MS Security Essentials uses more
    resources than some other AV agents or not. The most recent website
    review I read said that its resource usage was lower than some others.
    I've seen a couple or more newsgroup posts recently which indicated that
    its resource usage was somewhat high. I don't know yet what accounts
    for/ explains/ those two different opinions.

    It is certainly true that you can use 'too much' anti-malware
    configuration.

    > I then called in
    > remote assistance and he cleaned some of the problems (too many progs
    > running) and recommended I get myself at least 1Gb extra RAM as mine
    > was 86% used.

    I'm all in favor of more ram, especially which you are working with a
    half G and your resources are low.

    > Since the little tyke I have waited for two days hasn't
    > turned up I tried Malware as advised earlier and that found nothing
    > important so now I will try the other program recommended at the same
    > time.

    That sounds like a good plan.

    > I will try to find someone to fit 2Gb RAM tomorrow.

    You may not have any experience with work inside the case, but I have
    some friends with similar inexperience who had no problem buying some
    ram and removing a ram stick and replacing it with another. Opening a
    case and upgrading the ram may be the first hardware experience someone
    acquires.

    Sometimes getting into the case may be the most difficult part :) if
    everything is new to you.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 4, 2010
  19. Peter Clements

    Buffalo Guest

    Peter Clements wrote:
    [snip]

    > I started by downloading Mozy and that has now backed up 126Gb and is
    > just coasting now. As my computer became slow I tried Microsoft
    > Security and that probably overloaded my computer. I then called in
    > remote assistance and he cleaned some of the problems (too many progs
    > running) and recommended I get myself at least 1Gb extra RAM as mine
    > was 86% used. Since the little tyke I have waited for two days hasn't
    > turned up I tried Malware as advised earlier and that found nothing
    > important so now I will try the other program recommended at the same
    > time. I will try to find someone to fit 2Gb RAM tomorrow.

    Actually what MBAM found may have been more than nothing.
    Do a Google search for that item (lots of hits and a little confusing) but
    worthwhile.
    Put HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\fcn (Rogue.Residue) in the search bar
    of Google or similar.
    Hopefully SAS will help out.

    PS: I found that when doing a scan with MBAM or SAS, it is somewhat faster
    if you have fewer programs running, empty out your temp files and cookies,
    etc and disconnect from the Internet and then shut down your anti-virus
    program.
    A free program called CCleaner will remove a lot of that stuff from you
    computer (cookies, temp files, tmp Internet files, etc).

    Buffalo, Jan 4, 2010
  20. Peter Clements

    chuckcar Guest

    Peter Clements <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 21:27:09 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Peter Clements <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> My 448 RAM is 86% used and so my computer has become very slow. A

    >>448 MB one would assume. M=1024x1024, B=8 b or bits.
    >>
    >>> young chap is visiting tomorrow to fit 2Gb RAM and I am now
    >>> wondering if the motherboard is capable of handling 2Gb?

    >>What OS are you running, and have you tried disabling startup?

    > I am running XP home fully updated. What would I achieve if I
    > discovered how to disable startup?

    1. These are programs running all the time in the background, hence
    using ram and processing power. 2. If you run msconfig you can disable
    some or all of them from running next boot. None are required for
    windows itself to work.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 4, 2010