    Cybershot...)

    Thanks for any tips.

    , Jan 10, 2008

  2. Guest

    Re: K850i 5 megapixel "camera phone" poor detail quality - should Ibe unimpressed?

    Here's a side by side comparison of the original, and the 5MP->3.75MP-
    >5MP sharpened version

    http://satin.sensation.net.au/rowan/k850compare.jpg

    Can you see any extra detail?

    , Jan 10, 2008

  3. Paul Furman Guest

    wrote:
    > Here's a side by side comparison of the original, and the 5MP->3.75MP-
    >> 5MP sharpened version

    > http://satin.sensation.net.au/rowan/k850compare.jpg
    >
    > Can you see any extra detail?

    No, overlaid in photoshop with the top layer set to 'difference' mode,
    there is no meaningful difference, just a very faint cloud.

    Paul Furman, Jan 10, 2008
  4. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > Here's a 100% crop of a sample image:
    >
    > http://satin.sensation.net.au/rowan/sm_DSC00030.jpg
    >
    > Is it just me or does this image look interpolated? Lost detail looks
    > "digitally enhanced" rather than blurred.
    >
    > I did a simple experiment where I reduced the full sized image to 75%
    > (3.75MP) then resized it back up to 5MP and gave it a mild sharpen. I
    > could not see any difference in detail between the original and the
    > squashed-then-enlarged one.
    >
    > I am not used to P&S cameras so I don't know if this filtered "look"
    > is normal. (Yes, I know it's a phone, but it's being marketed as a
    > Cybershot...)
    >
    > Thanks for any tips.

    It doesn't look anything like the normal output of a 5MP camera, but who
    knows how small an area it was cropped from.
    Try re-taking the picture getting much closer to the subject and NOT
    using flash. (It seems to wash out the highlights).
    I know that cats are hard to photograph because they are constantly moving.
    Try shooting outdoors on a detailed, still life subject, perhaps a piece
    of weathered driftwood or even a brick and mortar subject.
    Also, take great pains to hold the camera as still as possible.
    Even a 1Ds MkIII can't produce a sharp image if the subject or shooter
    is moving.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 10, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Jan 11, 4:24 am, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Here's a side by side comparison of the original, and the 5MP->3.75MP-
    > >> 5MP sharpened version

    > >http://satin.sensation.net.au/rowan/k850compare.jpg

    > > Can you see any extra detail?

    > No, overlaid in photoshop with the top layer set to 'difference' mode,
    > there is no meaningful difference, just a very faint cloud.

    That's a good idea. I just tried the same myself and the difference
    appears (visually) to be completely black. Using auto levels brings
    out some noisy dots but there does not really appear to be any
    significant difference in detail between the two.

    To be fair, I tried the same thing with a 350D and 1DsII image and had
    similar results, so perhaps my conclusions were a little hasty... I
    still think the output of the K850i looks very "digitally filtered"
    though.

    , Jan 10, 2008