K-12 Computer Lab Suggestions LONG POST

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Yummy, May 28, 2004.

  1. Yummy

    Yummy Guest

    I support a computer lab for a K-12 private school. They recently
    received a sizeable monetary donation for IT upgrades, mainly
    pertaining to the lab. The lab currently has a mix of 24 IBM and Dell
    PC's, none of which are faster than a 600 mhz Celeron. The OS's are
    Windows ME on the Dells and W2K on the IBM's. The lab is on the same
    campus network domain as the admin and teachers. Internet access is
    SDSL and runs through a netopia router (new) and a 24 and 12 port
    10/100 Zyxel switch, also new.

    The principal wants to replace all lab pc's with P4 systems in the 2.8
    to 3.0 ghz range, each with 512K ram, 80gb HD's, 64 mb video, cdroms,
    etc, no burners. Windows XP Pro AE, MS Office Pro AE, 17" LCD
    monitors. He mentioned 1Gbt NICs. He also wants to dump DSL for a T1
    for full campus use ($$$$$$). There are other items, but are ancillary
    and don't pertain to my questions. The lab will add 6 pc's to get to
    30.

    I gave him a wish list last month for things that need to be done, and
    this is part of it. However, I have some issues with what he wants to
    do.

    1. New machines are fine, I wanted new ones and move the old ones to
    the classrooms for the teachers. Teachers currently are using IBM
    P233's with win 95/98

    2. Includes monies for a hardware-based content filtering system.
    Sorley needed as we had problems with certain students and porn.
    Software solutions are a pain in the ass.

    3. Wants a hardware-based anti-virus system. We invested $800 last yr
    for Norton AV Corporate for 50 users, works fine, no need to change
    IMOP.

    4. I want another server so I can seperate the lab from the campus
    domain. Instead of having 30 machines running individual versions of
    XP, I would like to use Windows terminal services.

    5. The Cat5 from the lab to the wiring closet is 10 yrs old and runs
    under the floor. I have been having issues with cables failing the
    past 2 years, he wants to recable the lab with Cat6 or fiber. I'm
    thinking wireless, but he wants a gigabit network, mainly for online
    video learning, speed, etc. I don't want the fiber headache.

    6. I think a T1 is a waste of money, especially since the DSL we are
    getting is reliable and fast, downloads are usually at 400mbs at peak
    times. NOTE: A local junior college uses the lab 3 nights a week for
    distance learning. They have complained about bandwith. I also don't
    know much about setting up a network using a T1 link. I haven't had to
    do one before.

    I know this is a lot, but if any of you guys support a K-12 school, I
    would like to hear your suggestions. The principal wants to create a
    college-level lab. Also, Linux is not an option. Too many
    Windows-based 3rd party apps, ie educational games, MS apps, etc.

    Thanks for help.

    Yummy
    Yummy, May 28, 2004

  2. Yummy

    Yummy Guest

    I forgot to mention this. The whole school only has 250 students and
    the lab is used by all grades.

    Yummy, May 28, 2004

  3. Yummy

    James Guest

    Ok, Heres my question, if Your going to be running terminal services, why do
    you need brand new pentium computers?? Terminal services just connect to a
    server and run everything off of the server, so its only as fast as your
    server, doesn't matter if the client is running windows xp or windows 95.
    If thats what you want to do, you could save yourself a whole wack of money
    and simply use thin clients. We have 4 servers, with about 100 users
    connecting to them, through terminal services, just using wyse thinclients.
    Of course the main advantages of this are, you can set restrictions on the
    servers, so the students can't do anything other then what you let them do.
    You can also view sessions remotely to make sure the students are using the
    computers productivly. Thin cleints cost us $390 Canadian each, so probably
    under $250US or so.
    If you have a problem with porn, maybe get some sort of program like ISA
    server. It will let you monitor the students browsing activity, create
    basic reports, and ban any site you want. ISA also allows for easy setup of
    VPN incase any teachers need to connect from home.

    Good luck with it.

    James, May 28, 2004
  4. Yummy

    AG Guest

    "Yummy" <> wrote in message
    > I support a computer lab for a K-12 private school. They recently
    > received a sizeable monetary donation for IT upgrades, mainly
    > pertaining to the lab. The lab currently has a mix of 24 IBM and Dell
    > PC's, none of which are faster than a 600 mhz Celeron. The OS's are
    > Windows ME on the Dells and W2K on the IBM's. The lab is on the same
    > campus network domain as the admin and teachers. Internet access is
    > SDSL and runs through a netopia router (new) and a 24 and 12 port
    > 10/100 Zyxel switch, also new.
    >
    > The principal wants to replace all lab pc's with P4 systems in the 2.8
    > to 3.0 ghz range, each with 512K ram, 80gb HD's, 64 mb video, cdroms,
    > etc, no burners. Windows XP Pro AE, MS Office Pro AE, 17" LCD
    > monitors. He mentioned 1Gbt NICs. He also wants to dump DSL for a T1
    > for full campus use ($$$$$$). There are other items, but are ancillary
    > and don't pertain to my questions. The lab will add 6 pc's to get to
    > 30.
    >
    > I gave him a wish list last month for things that need to be done, and
    > this is part of it. However, I have some issues with what he wants to
    > do.
    >
    > 1. New machines are fine, I wanted new ones and move the old ones to
    > the classrooms for the teachers. Teachers currently are using IBM
    > P233's with win 95/98
    >
    > 2. Includes monies for a hardware-based content filtering system.
    > Sorley needed as we had problems with certain students and porn.
    > Software solutions are a pain in the ass.
    >
    > 3. Wants a hardware-based anti-virus system. We invested $800 last yr
    > for Norton AV Corporate for 50 users, works fine, no need to change
    > IMOP.
    >
    > 4. I want another server so I can seperate the lab from the campus
    > domain. Instead of having 30 machines running individual versions of
    > XP, I would like to use Windows terminal services.
    >
    > 5. The Cat5 from the lab to the wiring closet is 10 yrs old and runs
    > under the floor. I have been having issues with cables failing the
    > past 2 years, he wants to recable the lab with Cat6 or fiber. I'm
    > thinking wireless, but he wants a gigabit network, mainly for online
    > video learning, speed, etc. I don't want the fiber headache.
    >
    > 6. I think a T1 is a waste of money, especially since the DSL we are
    > getting is reliable and fast, downloads are usually at 400mbs at peak
    > times. NOTE: A local junior college uses the lab 3 nights a week for
    > distance learning. They have complained about bandwith. I also don't
    > know much about setting up a network using a T1 link. I haven't had to
    > do one before.
    >
    > I know this is a lot, but if any of you guys support a K-12 school, I
    > would like to hear your suggestions. The principal wants to create a
    > college-level lab. Also, Linux is not an option. Too many
    > Windows-based 3rd party apps, ie educational games, MS apps, etc.
    >
    > Thanks for help.
    >
    > Yummy

    I've never used a HW based solution for AV but you'll still need antivirus
    companies. Look at this review:
    http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/hardware/peripherals/0,39023417,20272398,00.htm

    As far as setting up a T1 the Telco or other provider should supply and set
    up the router for you. If they do it right you might not even have to
    change the gateway settings for you network. Since the Jr. college people
    are having bandwidth problems I'd hit them up to pay for part of the monthly
    cost. It's going to be pretty high.
    I've never used fiber at all. I know some guys that string it and they say
    it's reliable. Wireless is nice but you ARE going to have problems with
    hackers trying to "share" your bandwidth with a wireless network. Also
    inside a building you are going to always have problems with that one room
    that you just can't get a signal to. Cables are more reliable.
    Since I work for an ISP that's about as much advice as I can give.
    AG
    AG, May 28, 2004
  5. Yummy

    Mark Guest

    I'm with James....I have setup several training labs in my work and using
    Thin Clients is by far the easiest and less expensive....all you have to do
    is maintain the server..ie: Antivirus and applications.

    --
    Mark
    MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

    Mark, May 28, 2004
  6. Yummy

    MF Guest

    Interesting project. A few thoughts:

    T-1 - If the school can afford it, get it. 400 Mbs (at peak) isn't very
    fast for more than for more than a few concurrent users. Other options:
    Cable? Does your DSL provider offer a faster option? Will your connection
    support it? If not, get the T-1 and make the principal happy. As someone
    pointed out, the provider will set it up, and it will give you a chance to
    become aquainted with CSU-DSUs. A thrill not to be missed.

    Agree on your A-V. Remind the principal, if it's working, don't fix it.

    Gigabit Ethernet - go for it. It will run on Cat-6 copper (wireless is
    slow) and if the principal's willing to pay for recabling, it's a done deal.
    10-100-1000 nic's are not that expensive and will allow you to put off
    upgrading the switches, if necessary. Wireless eliminates the wires - a
    plus. And invites every kid with a wireless laptop to become a junior
    hacker. Not a plus. Discipline problems can be more difficult to deal with
    than cabling problems. :)

    One thought on wireles. Since it is now "something to learn" maybe a cheap
    little server with a not too powerful access point that allows a few, short
    range connections at a time - on a separate, isolated network - a wireless
    test lab within the lab.

    Terminal server obviously has big plusses. Two questions occur - one, how
    many concurrent users will you have and what apps will they be running,
    thus, what kind of server hardware do you need to support them?
    Two, is the tightly controlled environment with dumb terminals appropriate
    for the kind of learning the lab is intended for?

    On different domains for students and teachers: obviously a good idea.

    And for the PCs, check how much it would cost to upgrade the video to 128
    MB.

    Oh, and for PCs rather than thin clients, check out the re-imaging (at
    re-boot or log off) software packages. People who handle networks for
    libraries often use them and I've heard good things about them. When the
    student logs off, the partition is wiped and re imaged, solving
    configuration problems they may have introduced. A couple guys have told me
    the packages work well, but I can't remember the specific products they
    liked....

    It sounds like fun.

    Mike

    MF, May 28, 2004
  7. Yummy

    Yummy Guest

    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I met with the principal again
    today and narrowed down what he wants done.

    ***Our current SDSL is static, SBC sold us 4 IP's. We are only using 1
    of them. I had nothing to do with that.***

    1. T1 is mandatory. Has something to do with a donation. Either get a
    T1 or no donation. I was told about the e-rate fed program, should
    help defer the costs. SBC is the provider. I guess I'll buy back the
    new netopia router, I can always resell it.

    2. I was hoping that I would get to build white-box systems for this,
    but he is insisting on Dell. I hate Dell, I'm going to try to stear
    him to IBM if he won't buy from me. And I'm giving him a good deal on
    30 pc's and 30 LCD's. I don't build servers, I use IBM's.

    3. The plan now is to finish the project this summer, then after the
    2004-05 school yr., create another 30 pc lab for the high school. 60+
    pc's for 2 labs, He does not want terminal services. He used it at his
    old school and hated it, that was with NT4. I hope I can change his
    mind. Thin clients would be nice. Hell, I would love to have the whole
    campus on TS, but I'm dreaming.

    4. The old lab pc's are going to the classrooms for teacher use. Once
    I get rid of ME and install W2K Pro on them and boost the ram to 512
    that will speed them up. Also, the admins are getting new PC's, they
    really need them.

    5. Brand new lab furniture from HON. $$$$, but sorely needed.

    6. Got him away from changing AV platforms, but talked him into a
    content-filtering/firewall appliance. I have Net Nanny on the library
    PC's, it works great but its a PITA to install and make changes to,
    plus its a resource hog. Currently Norton IS is on the lab pc's, what
    a piece of sh*t that is.

    7. Decided against wireless, too many cinder block walls to block
    signals. I did a site survey with 3com equip., too many lost or week
    signals. Since the comp lab room is being remodled and reconfigured
    (the pc's will face a different wall), the room will have to be
    recabled anyway. Cat6 and new electricals for the room.

    8. The lab already has a LCD projector, it will be ceiling mounted and
    connected to the teachers podium (pc) in the front of the classroom.
    Now it sits on top of a dell pc. Arrgh.

    9. I have heard of the software that re-images machines on boot. Its a
    great idea if it isn't a hassle and too expensive.

    10. Not pertaining to the lab, but he wants a server-based grade book
    system that has online functionality, ie so parents can check grades
    and dicipline records. Earthlink hosts our site now, I guess I have to
    consider hosting our own site. I'm not fond of that idea.

    11. He now wants to be able to connect the Parish's rectory to the
    school network so they can share the T1. The rectory is about 60 yds.
    from the campus with a clean line of sight, so a wireless point to
    point bridge can be used. Fiber is an option, as I already have fiber
    that runs between all school buildings, but I would have to have the
    parking lot trenched, permits pulled, utilities located, etc. Using
    fiber for that would probably cost 10K.

    The library has a Follett catalog system on its own server, no need to
    touch it. We dumped Accelerated Reader last yr for Scholastic Reader,
    also runs off the librarie's server.

    He wants all of this done BEFORE August so the system can get its
    kinks out before school starts. I'm going to have to rely on subs
    because I don't have much time as it is, especially since my time for
    the school is pro bono and my paying clients are a priority. But no
    more pro bono after this yr., the principal agreed to a maint.
    contract that I will get at least 400.00 per month for 8 hrs per
    month.

    Note: I also have to move the lab to another classroom for temp
    because of summer school so the current lab can be gutted out. 24
    cables each of 40 ft length to run as a bundle down the hall. Great.

    Whew. :)

    Yummy

    Yummy, May 29, 2004