JVC XV-N44SL skipping on playback

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by removespamandslimermilnespam@slimemagma.ca, May 31, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Hi:

    I've had a JVC XV-N44SL DVD player for four or five months now, and
    it's been working fine. I recently purchased the Criterion
    Collection's release of the movie Withnail and I, and it seemed to run
    a bit rough. Looks like it's skipping, but it does run through the
    whole movie. When I tried advancing single frames using the pause
    button, each push of the button advanced it by one frame, except for
    the fifth button push, which did not. I did this for a minute or so,
    and it was very regular, every fifth frame took two button pushes to
    appear (not skipped or dropped, but delayed by one frame advance). I
    tried this with several other disks, and none of them did it.

    It gets a bit stranger. There is a documentary on the same DVD disk
    about the movie, and it has a few minutes of scenes from the movie in
    it. Those run perfectly!

    Is this perhaps nothing to do with the player, and what I've seen
    referred to as an "authoring problem"?

    I've searched this NG for references to my player, but it seems to be
    a good unit (no news is good news...).

    Thanks for any ideas,

    Bob M.

    , May 31, 2004

  2. Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:25:33 -0400,
    wrote:

    >Hi:
    >
    >I've had a JVC XV-N44SL DVD player for four or five months now, and
    >it's been working fine. I recently purchased the Criterion
    >Collection's release of the movie Withnail and I, and it seemed to run
    >a bit rough. Looks like it's skipping, but it does run through the
    >whole movie. When I tried advancing single frames using the pause
    >button, each push of the button advanced it by one frame, except for
    >the fifth button push, which did not. I did this for a minute or so,
    >and it was very regular, every fifth frame took two button pushes to
    >appear (not skipped or dropped, but delayed by one frame advance). I
    >tried this with several other disks, and none of them did it.
    >
    >It gets a bit stranger. There is a documentary on the same DVD disk
    >about the movie, and it has a few minutes of scenes from the movie in
    >it. Those run perfectly!
    >
    >Is this perhaps nothing to do with the player, and what I've seen
    >referred to as an "authoring problem"?
    >
    >I've searched this NG for references to my player, but it seems to be
    >a good unit (no news is good news...).
    >
    >Thanks for any ideas,
    >
    >Bob M.

    Well, the "Auto" selection for the format type is great for most DVDs,
    but just not for that particular one. I set it to "Film", and it
    worked. Sorry to waste the bandwith, folks.

    Bob M.

    , Jun 2, 2004