JVC previews Blu-ray DVD combo

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tarkus, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    JVC previews Blu-ray DVD combo
    Published: December 29, 2004, 1:40 PM PST
    By Paul Festa
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com

    A new Blu-ray and DVD hybrid disc could bring some relief to consumers
    weary of the format war, but will it be enough for the increasingly
    fractured market?

    JVC on Friday showed a prototype of a disc that combines standard DVD and
    new Blu-ray technology for a combined 33.5GB of capacity.

    Blu-ray is a new read-only optical disc technology that increases the
    amount of storage on a disc with the aim of allowing content producers to
    distribute high-definition movies. But analysts warn that competing
    technologies like Blu-ray and High-Definition DVD (HD DVD) could do more
    short-term harm than good by prolonging confusion in the market.

    "Everyone's vying to be the next DVD heir-apparent," said Jupiter
    Communications analyst Michael Gartenberg. "It's the 21st-century format
    wars and until all this stuff shakes out, consumers aren't going to buy
    anything. It's going to be a huge mess until consumers are able to sort
    out what the winning technology is."

    A combined Blu-ray and standard DVD disc could help the situation. If
    content producers start distributing the combo discs, consumers might be
    more inclined to buy Blu-ray players.

    Rest of article:
    http://news.com.com/JVC previews Bl...4.html?part=rss&tag=5506834&subj=news.1041.20
    --
    "I'm scared to close my eyes. I'm scared to open them."

    Tarkus, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Tarkus

    GMAN Guest

    In article <9.com>, wrote:
    >JVC previews Blu-ray DVD combo
    >Published: December 29, 2004, 1:40 PM PST
    >By Paul Festa
    >Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    >
    >A new Blu-ray and DVD hybrid disc could bring some relief to consumers
    >weary of the format war, but will it be enough for the increasingly
    >fractured market?
    >
    >JVC on Friday showed a prototype of a disc that combines standard DVD and
    >new Blu-ray technology for a combined 33.5GB of capacity.
    >
    >Blu-ray is a new read-only optical disc technology that increases the
    >amount of storage on a disc with the aim of allowing content producers to
    >distribute high-definition movies. But analysts warn that competing
    >technologies like Blu-ray and High-Definition DVD (HD DVD) could do more
    >short-term harm than good by prolonging confusion in the market.
    >
    >"Everyone's vying to be the next DVD heir-apparent," said Jupiter
    >Communications analyst Michael Gartenberg. "It's the 21st-century format
    >wars and until all this stuff shakes out, consumers aren't going to buy
    >anything. It's going to be a huge mess until consumers are able to sort
    >out what the winning technology is."
    >
    >A combined Blu-ray and standard DVD disc could help the situation. If
    >content producers start distributing the combo discs, consumers might be
    >more inclined to buy Blu-ray players.
    >
    >Rest of article:
    >http://news.com.com/JVC previews Blu-ray DVD combo/2100-1041_3-5506834.html?par
    >t=rss&tag=5506834&subj=news.1041.20

    Dont these manufacturers get it? We dont want ANY bastard formats, period!

    GMAN, Jan 1, 2005