    credentials and plugged in ay home and at the office which one rings when
    someone calls?

    ta
    dojodirectory.co.uk, Jun 25, 2005

  2. dojodirectory.co.uk

    Ivor Jones Guest

    dojodirectory.co.uk wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i was wondering,
    >
    > if i have two IP phones configured with the same (sipgate) details /
    > credentials and plugged in ay home and at the office which one
    > rings when someone calls?

    In theory they both should. The first one that answers gets the call. I've
    not tried this personally but I know someone who has and he says it works
    ok.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 25, 2005

  3. dojodirectory.co.uk

    Maverick Guest

    Hi Ivor,

    I would like to think that was true as I was asked that question only the
    other day but the answer I gave was different and only based on assumption.
    If there are peeps out there who say it works then great!

    My answer was to try it and see because my understanding of the way sip
    calls get through to you is by peeps like sipgate knowing where you are in
    order to forward calls to you.... I assumed that this is down to the
    registration that your unit sends out (mine is every 60 mins) whereby the
    external IP is sent out to the relevant company. Would 2 such registrations,
    sending back different IPs, not confuse matters? My assumption was that this
    might work but only on the basis that the reg times would have to be
    staggered and in that case the most recent reg would get the call? Then the
    reg's, if staggered, would alternate who gets the next call after each
    registration?

    Please help a confused sole....... :)

    Mav

    Maverick, Jun 25, 2005
  4. dojodirectory.co.uk

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Maverick wrote:
    > Hi Ivor,
    >
    > I would like to think that was true as I was asked that question
    > only the other day but the answer I gave was different and only
    > based on assumption. If there are peeps out there who say it works
    > then great!
    >
    > My answer was to try it and see because my understanding of the way
    > sip calls get through to you is by peeps like sipgate knowing where
    > you are in order to forward calls to you.... I assumed that this is
    > down to the registration that your unit sends out (mine is every 60
    > mins) whereby the external IP is sent out to the relevant company.
    > Would 2 such registrations, sending back different IPs, not confuse
    > matters? My assumption was that this might work but only on the
    > basis that the reg times would have to be staggered and in that
    > case the most recent reg would get the call? Then the reg's, if
    > staggered, would alternate who gets the next call after each
    > registration?
    >
    > Please help a confused sole....... :)

    I don't know, as I said I haven't tried it. A friend says it works ok for
    him though.

    Ivor

    PS could you not top post in this group, many thanks :)
    Ivor Jones, Jun 25, 2005
  5. dojodirectory.co.uk

    Maverick Guest

    Sorry Ivor I don't know what you mean. What is top posting and how do I not
    do it?

    Cheers

    Mav

    Maverick, Jun 25, 2005
  6. dojodirectory.co.uk

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Maverick wrote:
    > Sorry Ivor I don't know what you mean. What is top posting and how
    > do I not do it?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Mav

    It's general practice in most groups, including this one, to add your text
    at the end rather than at the beginning, as I am doing here. Top posting
    is adding it at the start, as you are doing.

    Top posting makes a thread somewhat more difficult for other people to
    follow, as it involves scrolling up and down to read the text in the order
    in which it was wrtitten. Bottom posting is better for this as the
    additional comments follow on in the correct order. The down side is that
    the post can become quite long, but the use of judicious snipping of
    irrelevant and often quoted text eases this somewhat.

    I hope I did not come across as being a complaining old so-and-so, it was
    not intended in that way.

    All the best,

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 25, 2005
  7. dojodirectory.co.uk

    Maverick Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Maverick wrote:
    > > Sorry Ivor I don't know what you mean. What is top posting and how
    > > do I not do it?
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > Mav

    > It's general practice in most groups, including this one, to add your text
    > at the end rather than at the beginning, as I am doing here. Top posting
    > is adding it at the start, as you are doing.
    >
    > Top posting makes a thread somewhat more difficult for other people to
    > follow, as it involves scrolling up and down to read the text in the order
    > in which it was wrtitten. Bottom posting is better for this as the
    > additional comments follow on in the correct order. The down side is that
    > the post can become quite long, but the use of judicious snipping of
    > irrelevant and often quoted text eases this somewhat.
    >
    > I hope I did not come across as being a complaining old so-and-so, it was
    > not intended in that way.
    >
    > All the best,
    >
    > Ivor

    Sincere thanks for that Ivor!

    I always thought it meant replying to the O/P rather than the one you were
    answering :) Mav = dimwit sometimes! Apols for being a numpty.....

    Cheers

    Mav

    P.s. I don't know why peeps go on about Sipgate like they do either as I've
    never had a problem and neither have the mates I've recommended them to!
    Even support e-mails have been swift. Give em a chance everyone... :0)
    Maverick, Jun 25, 2005
  8. Thus spaketh Maverick:
    > P.s. I don't know why peeps go on about Sipgate like they do either
    > as I've never had a problem and neither have the mates I've
    > recommended them to! Even support e-mails have been swift. Give em a
    > chance everyone... :0)

    I've had a few problems with Sipgate, I learn to live with it and hope any
    problems are sorted out swiftly, I would still and do recommend them.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 26, 2005
  9. I haven't seen the original article so I'm answering this one!

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:59:39 GMT, "Maverick" <>
    wrote:

    >"Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> dojodirectory.co.uk wrote:
    >> > hi,
    >> >
    >> > i was wondering,
    >> >
    >> > if i have two IP phones configured with the same (sipgate) details /
    >> > credentials and plugged in ay home and at the office which one
    >> > rings when someone calls?

    Both (for Sipgate - haven't tried anybody else) will ring. The
    first one to answer will cause a 'CANCEL' to be sent to the other.

    I haven't rigorously tested this - but Sipgate seems to allow up
    to 3 different registrations for a given number. I have had 3 phones
    registered, all on different IPs, and all rang when called.

    Regards,
    Harry.

    Harry Broomhall, Jun 27, 2005
  10. dojodirectory.co.uk wrote:

    > if i have two IP phones configured with the same (sipgate) details /
    > credentials and plugged in ay home and at the office which one rings when
    > someone calls?

    I use both an ATA with a real phone on it and also a laptop running
    X-Lite. Incoming calls ring both until one is answered.

    Steve.
    Steven Sumpter, Jun 29, 2005