Just when you thought Big Brother couldn't get any bigger...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rick, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915

    Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips
    Friday 27 May 2005 - 11:02

    Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling
    copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with
    Intel Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its
    latest dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945
    chipset.

    Officially launched worldwide on May 26, the new offerings come
    DRM-enabled and will, at least in theory, allow copyright holders
    to prevent unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted
    materials from the motherboard rather than through the operating
    system as is currently the case.

    While Intel steered clear of mentioning the new DRM technology
    at its Australian launch of the new products, Intel's Australian
    technical manager Graham Tucker publicly confirmed Microsoft-
    flavored DRM technology will be a feature of Pentium D and 945.

    "[The] 945g [chipset] supports DRM, it helps implement Microsoft's
    DRM ... but it supports DRM looking forward," Tucker said, adding
    the DRM technology would not be able to be applied retrospectively
    to media or files that did not interoperate with the new technology.

    However, Tucker ducked questions regarding technical details of
    how embedded DRM would work saying it was not in the interests
    of his company to spell out how the technology in the interests of
    security.

    The situation presents an interesting dilemma for IT security managers
    as they may now be beholden to hardware-embedded security over
    which they have little say, information or control.

    Conversely, Intel is heavily promoting what it calls "active management
    technology" (AMT) in the new chips as a major plus for system
    administrators and enterprise IT. Understood to be a sub-operating
    system residing in the chip's firmware, AMT will allow administrators
    to both monitor or control individual machines independent of an
    operating system.

    Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection"
    which will allow administrators to remotely enable, disable or format
    or configure individual drives and reload operating systems and
    software from remote locations, again independent of operating
    systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network
    interface controller.

    "We all know our [operating system] friends don't crash that often,
    but it does happen," Tucker said.

    Intel's reticence to speak publicly about what lies under the hood
    of its latest firmware technology has also prompted calls to come
    clean from IT security experts, including Queensland University of
    Technology's assistant dean for strategy and innovation, IT faculty,
    Bill Caelli.

    "It's a dual use technology. It's got uses and misuses. Intel has to
    answer what guarantees it is prepared to give that home users are
    safe from hackers. Not maybes, guarantees".

    Caelli said it was "critical Intel comes clean" about how the current
    DRM technology is embedded into the new CPU and chipset
    offering.

    Microsoft was unavailable for comment at press time.

    Julian Bajkowski

    Rick, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Rick

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/1/2005 12:56:18 PM, Rick wrote:

    > http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
    >
    > Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips

    AMD must be wetting themselves with excitement over this.
    --
    "I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full
    house and four people died." - Steven Wright

    Now playing: the radio.

    Tarkus, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Rick

    AustinMN Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
    >
    > Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips
    > Friday 27 May 2005 - 11:02

    <snip>
    > Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection"
    > which will allow administrators to **remotely enable, disable or format
    > or configure individual drives** and reload operating systems and
    > software from remote locations, again independent of operating
    > systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network
    > interface controller.

    <snip>

    I can see now the hackers and virus creators gleefully looking at ways
    to take advantage of that...and because it is operating system
    independent, typical virus software can be ignored. Go home, it's
    Windows. Return in the morning, it's Linux.

    Austin

    AustinMN, Jun 1, 2005
  4. "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
    >
    > The situation presents an interesting dilemma for IT security managers
    > as they may now be beholden to hardware-embedded security over
    > which they have little say, information or control.

    > Conversely, Intel is heavily promoting what it calls "active management
    > technology" (AMT) in the new chips as a major plus for system
    > administrators and enterprise IT. Understood to be a sub-operating
    > system residing in the chip's firmware, AMT will allow administrators
    > to both monitor or control individual machines independent of an
    > operating system.

    are these ms company admins or end user company admins?

    AllEmailDeletedImmediately, Jun 1, 2005
  5. Rick

    Mark Guest

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:39:11 -0700, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >On 6/1/2005 12:56:18 PM, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
    >>
    >> Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips

    >AMD must be wetting themselves with excitement over this.

    Oh, how I hope so.

    I'll gladly purchase AMD processors going forward if this "feature" is
    implemented by Intel & Micro$oft.

    And if AMD is to jump on board, I'll gladly jump over to the new guy after
    that. There will always be someone.

    Mark, Jun 1, 2005
  6. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <> wrote in message news:3gpne.8562$...

    > "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
    > >
    > > The situation presents an interesting dilemma for IT security managers
    > > as they may now be beholden to hardware-embedded security over
    > > which they have little say, information or control.

    > > Conversely, Intel is heavily promoting what it calls "active management
    > > technology" (AMT) in the new chips as a major plus for system
    > > administrators and enterprise IT. Understood to be a sub-operating
    > > system residing in the chip's firmware, AMT will allow administrators
    > > to both monitor or control individual machines independent of an
    > > operating system.

    > are these ms company admins or end user company admins?

    It'll almost certainly be marketed as the latter, although without
    full documentation no one except a world full of hackers will
    know what exploits are possible.

    > > Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection"
    > > which will allow administrators to remotely enable, disable or format
    > > or configure individual drives and reload operating systems and
    > > software from remote locations, again independent of operating
    > > systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network
    > > interface controller.

    > are these ms company admins or end user company admins?

    See above.

    Rick, Jun 1, 2005
  7. Rick

    Dave Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > On 6/1/2005 12:56:18 PM, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
    >>
    >> Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips

    > AMD must be wetting themselves with excitement over this.

    Well, I know where my money is going from now on. Considering I build or
    influence hardware purchases for dozens of systems each year, Intel just
    lost a lot of money from me alone. -Dave

    Dave, Jun 2, 2005
  8. AustinMN wrote in part:

    > I can see now the hackers and virus creators gleefully looking at ways
    > to take advantage of that...and because it is operating system
    > independent, typical virus software can be ignored. Go home, it's
    > Windows. Return in the morning, it's Linux.

    Just what are you implying with that example?

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jun 2, 2005
  9. In article <gKwne.12770$>,
    Unclaimed Mysteries
    <> wrote:

    > > I can see now the hackers and virus creators gleefully looking at ways
    > > to take advantage of that...and because it is operating system
    > > independent, typical virus software can be ignored. Go home, it's
    > > Windows. Return in the morning, it's Linux.

    Another Penguin loser...

    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 2, 2005
  10. Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > In article <gKwne.12770$>,
    > Unclaimed Mysteries
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>>I can see now the hackers and virus creators gleefully looking at ways
    >>>to take advantage of that...and because it is operating system
    >>>independent, typical virus software can be ignored. Go home, it's
    >>>Windows. Return in the morning, it's Linux.

    > Another Penguin loser...

    Sheep. Also, try imroving your quoting skills. HTH HAND

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jun 2, 2005
  11. Rick

    Ryadia@Home Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <gKwne.12770$>,
    > Unclaimed Mysteries
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>>I can see now the hackers and virus creators gleefully looking at ways
    >>>to take advantage of that...and because it is operating system
    >>>independent, typical virus software can be ignored. Go home, it's
    >>>Windows. Return in the morning, it's Linux.

    > Another Penguin loser...

    Actually I see this as a feather in the cap of Athlon 64's and
    Alternative chip makers in general. Not the least being the old IBM CPU
    now ownerd by Via who are rapidly moving towards hare speed from turtle
    speed. The key to all this is not use Intel chipset mainboards.

    --
    Douglas...
    It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.

    Ryadia@Home, Jun 2, 2005
  12. "Ryadia@Home" <> wrote in message
    > Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >> In article <gKwne.12770$>,
    >> Unclaimed Mysteries

    >> Another Penguin loser...

    > Actually I see this as a feather in the cap of Athlon 64's and Alternative
    > chip makers in general. Not the least being the old IBM CPU now ownerd by
    > Via who are rapidly moving towards hare speed from turtle speed. The key
    > to all this is not use Intel chipset mainboards.

    The "IBM" chip was actually a Cyrix, IBM was the fabricator for Cyrix. VIA
    became the owner of that chip along with the IDT Winchip. I believe the
    current VIA CPUs are more closely related to the Winchip than to the Cyrix.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jun 3, 2005
  13. Rick

    Stacey Guest

    Rick wrote:

    > http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915

    > Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection"
    > which will allow administrators to remotely enable, disable or format
    > or configure individual drives and reload operating systems and
    > software from remote locations, again independent of operating
    > systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network
    > interface controller.

    Great so hackers can get past a secure OS (linux) and format my drive? No
    thanx, this isn't a "feature" I'm interested in. Looks like I've bought my
    last intel system..
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Jun 3, 2005
  14. In article <429f6354$>, <"Ryadia@Home"> wrote:

    > Actually I see this as a feather in the cap of Athlon 64's and
    > Alternative chip makers in general. Not the least being the old IBM CPU
    > now ownerd by Via who are rapidly moving towards hare speed from turtle
    > speed. The key to all this is not use Intel chipset mainboards.

    I don't use Intel chips and would never consider AMD. Both CPUs in my
    tower were made by IBM.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 3, 2005