Just watched F4

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    I watched FANTASTIC FOUR last nite, finally, and found it to be
    not-so-good.

    I'm already tired of the bad guy being a CEO of a major corporation and
    having a military contract so he gets "Cool ass weapon #x" (SPIDERMAN,
    BATMAN BEGINS, now F4). The Reed/Sue relationship just doesn't ring
    true at all, mostly owing to a horribly contrived conflict.

    What was decent was that there was a reasoable effort to show the
    relationship between the 4 superheroes, which IMO is what made the
    comic book work. Ben/Reed, Ben/Johnny were the better established
    ones, but even those never really had a chance to breathe. I felt that
    much of the characterizations and relationship development were
    perfunctory when they should have been the spine of the film. I'm not
    sure if it's writing, acting, or just chemistry/charisma that was
    subpar, but certainly something was amiss.

    Some of the cheezy humor actually worked pretty well for me. Mostly
    Johnny and Ben. Ben crushing Johnny's car, Johnny tossing a flameball
    at the back of Ben's head, Ben making fun of the unis ("Maybe it's
    missing a utility belt"), ...

    Much of the plot was stupid, but comicbook-stupid so not too terrible,
    but I really would have liked to have seen something more inspired.

    Overall, I almost enjoyed parts of it, didn't really hate parts of it,
    and watched the whole thing.

    It's not awful, but it's certainly not a summer tentpole movie.

    -goro-
    Goro, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Goro

    Guest

    "I'm already tired of the bad guy being a CEO of a major corporation
    and
    having a military contract so he gets "Cool ass weapon #x" (SPIDERMAN,
    BATMAN BEGINS, now F4)"

    The villains in Batman Begins are -- a gangster, a mad scientist and a
    psychotic mystic warrior.

    Unless you've seen some cut of the film where someone else is the
    villain.

    John Harkness.
    , Dec 5, 2005

  3. Goro

    The Seabat Guest

    On 5 Dec 2005 06:38:02 -0800, wrote:

    >>"I'm already tired of the bad guy being a CEO of a major corporation
    >>and
    >>having a military contract so he gets "Cool ass weapon #x" (SPIDERMAN,
    >>BATMAN BEGINS, now F4)"
    >>
    >>The villains in Batman Begins are -- a gangster, a mad scientist and a
    >>psychotic mystic warrior.
    >>
    >>Unless you've seen some cut of the film where someone else is the
    >>villain.
    >>
    >>John Harkness.

    You're forgetting the temporary head of Wayne Enterprise!
    --
    The Seabat
    The Seabat, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Goro

    Goro Guest

    wrote:
    > "I'm already tired of the bad guy being a CEO of a major corporation
    > and
    > having a military contract so he gets "Cool ass weapon #x" (SPIDERMAN,
    > BATMAN BEGINS, now F4)"
    >
    > The villains in Batman Begins are -- a gangster, a mad scientist and a
    > psychotic mystic warrior.
    >
    > Unless you've seen some cut of the film where someone else is the
    > villain.
    >
    > John Harkness.

    You're right. In BATMAN BEGINS, it was Bruce Wayne having the cool ass
    weapon via military contract. The point remains that this is (imo)
    already a tired plot element.

    -goro-
    Goro, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Goro

    Guest

    Well, Bruce Wayne was always an insanely rich guy.

    Batman Begins just gets a little explicit about where the money comes
    from.

    John Harkness
    , Dec 5, 2005
  6. wrote:

    > "I'm already tired of the bad guy being a CEO of a major corporation
    > and
    > having a military contract so he gets "Cool ass weapon #x" (SPIDERMAN,
    > BATMAN BEGINS, now F4)"
    >
    > The villains in Batman Begins are -- a gangster, a mad scientist and a
    > psychotic mystic warrior.

    And a smug corporate jerk who kicks out the obligatory Morgan Freeman
    Character.

    Derek Janssen (but, other than that...)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 5, 2005
  7. <> wrote in message
    > Well, Bruce Wayne was always an insanely rich guy.
    >
    > Batman Begins just gets a little explicit about where the money comes
    > from.

    Well, I appreciated that Batman Begins didn't show an incompetent police
    force as did Batman & Robin. True, the police force was crooked and mostly
    in Falcone's back pocket, but at least they were busy doing something. I
    liked Gary Oldman's portrayal of Gordon, and I think there's room in the
    future movies to show Gordon covering up or thwarting any investigation into
    who Batman really is.

    In the original series, of which I liked the first two films, Burton made it
    semi-believeable. But by the time Schumacher got his hands on the films, he
    threw any semblance of logic right out the window. For example, Batman's
    batboat explodes/crashes twice (BR,BF), his plane crashes twice(B,BF), and
    the batmobile sustains a varying degree of damage over the course of the
    films, and it makes you wonder how the Gotham P.D. were never able to trace,
    using radar, where the batwing ever took off from. I mean, there are only so
    many locations in Gotham where someone with a lot of money and time on their
    hands could afford to build these weapons and them launch them. So at least
    Nolan is laying some groundwork for plausibility by keeping the situations
    and motivations as real as possible.

    -------------------------------------
    Icebreaker
    "Look, you have to understand, I was a teenage runaway for thirty-two years.
    I did things I wouldn't force on a mule, and that includes things I forced
    on a mule."
    Memoirs of an Icebreaker, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Once Upon A Time Goro wrote:

    >I watched FANTASTIC FOUR last nite, finally, and found it to be
    >not-so-good.
    >
    >I'm already tired of the bad guy being a CEO of a major corporation and
    >having a military contract so he gets "Cool ass weapon #x" (SPIDERMAN,
    >BATMAN BEGINS, now F4). The Reed/Sue relationship just doesn't ring
    >true at all, mostly owing to a horribly contrived conflict.
    >
    >What was decent was that there was a reasoable effort to show the
    >relationship between the 4 superheroes, which IMO is what made the
    >comic book work. Ben/Reed, Ben/Johnny were the better established
    >ones, but even those never really had a chance to breathe. I felt that
    >much of the characterizations and relationship development were
    >perfunctory when they should have been the spine of the film. I'm not
    >sure if it's writing, acting, or just chemistry/charisma that was
    >subpar, but certainly something was amiss.
    >
    >Some of the cheezy humor actually worked pretty well for me. Mostly
    >Johnny and Ben. Ben crushing Johnny's car, Johnny tossing a flameball
    >at the back of Ben's head, Ben making fun of the unis ("Maybe it's
    >missing a utility belt"), ...
    >
    >Much of the plot was stupid, but comicbook-stupid so not too terrible,
    >but I really would have liked to have seen something more inspired.
    >
    >Overall, I almost enjoyed parts of it, didn't really hate parts of it,
    >and watched the whole thing.
    >
    >It's not awful, but it's certainly not a summer tentpole movie.

    You'd be better served by just watching the movie that inspired it:
    "The Incredibles".

    **
    Captain Infinity
    ...faster than the speed of dark
    Captain Infinity, Dec 5, 2005
  9. On 5 Dec 2005 06:38:02 -0800, wrote:

    >"I'm already tired of the bad guy being a CEO of a major corporation
    >and having a military contract so he gets "Cool ass weapon #x" (SPIDERMAN,
    >BATMAN BEGINS, now F4)"
    >
    >The villains in Batman Begins are -- a gangster, a mad scientist and a
    >psychotic mystic warrior.
    >
    >Unless you've seen some cut of the film where someone else is the
    >villain.

    The OP might have been referring to the character played by Rutger Hauer
    George Peatty, Dec 5, 2005
  10. Goro

    Biz Guest

    "Captain Infinity" <> wrote in message
    > You'd be better served by just watching the movie that inspired it:
    > "The Incredibles".

    You're implying that The Incredibles was a comic book or idea way b4
    Fantastic 4 was? The Fantastic 4 was created in like 1961...
    Biz, Dec 6, 2005
  11. Goro

    ardz Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Captain Infinity" <> wrote in message
    >> You'd be better served by just watching the movie that inspired it:
    >> "The Incredibles".
    >>

    > You're implying that The Incredibles was a comic book or idea way b4
    > Fantastic 4 was? The Fantastic 4 was created in like 1961...

    Yup the Fantastic 4,X Men,Hulk etc all created by stan lee and others in the
    heyday of comicdom. I was brought up with marvel comics through the 70s,80s
    and early 90s and thought the Fantastic 4 paled into insignificance with
    "real" super hero teams like the Avengers about.
    ardz, Dec 6, 2005
  12. Once Upon A Time Biz wrote:

    >> You'd be better served by just watching the movie that inspired it:
    >> "The Incredibles".

    >You're implying that The Incredibles was a comic book or idea way b4
    >Fantastic 4 was? The Fantastic 4 was created in like 1961...

    See http://captaininfinity.us/petition.html

    **
    Captain Infinity, Dec 6, 2005
  13. Goro

    Biz Guest

    Did you remove your aluminum helmet by mistake or miss your meds? Unless
    you can show me that the idea for The Incredibles was hatched b4 the idea
    for The Fantastic 4 was back in 1961, you're a complete dimwit.

    Biz, Dec 6, 2005
  14. Goro

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Goro" <> wrote:

    > I watched FANTASTIC FOUR last nite, finally, and found it to be
    > not-so-good.

    You had to watch the entire film to determine that? I could quite easily
    see it was a steaming pile of monkey dung with nothing more than a 5
    second clip. Movies like this, Stealth, The Dukes of Hazard, Deuce
    Bigalow II, etc. are everything that's wrong with Hollywood these days.
    I suspect these movies were written by 13 year olds or adults who think
    like 13 year olds. But until Joe Public stops eating this crap up, the
    studios will continue to produce it. Sad, but true.

    I hear Stealth was one of the top DVD rentals of the year... *sigh*
    Black Locust, Dec 6, 2005
  15. Goro

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    Captain Infinity <> wrote:

    > You'd be better served by just watching the movie that inspired it:
    > "The Incredibles".

    You'd better served by watching Sky High. Yes, I'm being serious. It was
    a fun Spy Kids-esque family movie.

    Black Locust, Dec 6, 2005
  16. Goro

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <T25lf.5980$>,
    "ardz" <> wrote:

    > Yup the Fantastic 4,X Men,Hulk etc all created by stan lee and others in the
    > heyday of comicdom. I was brought up with marvel comics through the 70s,80s
    > and early 90s and thought the Fantastic 4 paled into insignificance with
    > "real" super hero teams like the Avengers about.

    Poor mans X-Men is how I frequently describe The Fantastic 4. Why waste
    your time with this kids stuff when there's already 2 great X-Men films
    available?
    Black Locust, Dec 6, 2005
  17. Goro

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    Lewis Mammel <> wrote:

    > How frequently would that be, exactly? And on what occasions?
    > I'm fascinated.

    About once a week. Typically when I'm with some co-workers and we're
    discussing comics. I'm fascinated by the fact that you find this
    fascinating.

    > Yeah, why eat shit when delicious turds are available ?

    Are you trying to imply the X-Men movies are turds? If so, I will have
    to take offense and layeth the smacketh down.

    > Say, are you on Mountain Time? Maybe you are a creature of
    > the mountains, frequently describing the Fantastic 4 to the
    > lynxes in the high forest. I can picture it ... you know,
    > since you're a tree ... or a bug, maybe.

    *yawn* Don't quit your day job.

    Black Locust, Dec 6, 2005
  18. Goro

    Lewis Mammel Guest

    Lewis Mammel, Dec 6, 2005
  19. Goro

    M.B. Guest

    Black Locust wrote:

    > I suspect these movies were written by 13 year olds or adults who think
    > like 13 year olds. But until Joe Public stops eating this crap up, the
    > studios will continue to produce it. Sad, but true.

    I think the public has. None of those movies, including F4, did either
    poorly or so-so at the box office.

    M.B., Dec 6, 2005
  20. Goro

    Jeff Rife Guest

    M.B. () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > I suspect these movies were written by 13 year olds or adults who think
    > > like 13 year olds. But until Joe Public stops eating this crap up, the
    > > studios will continue to produce it. Sad, but true.

    > I think the public has. None of those movies, including F4, did either
    > poorly or so-so at the box office.

    Huh?
    budget US box office
    Fantastic Four $100M $154M
    Dukes of Hazzard $ 53M $ 80M
    Stealth $150M $ 32M
    Deuce Bigelow II $ 22M $ 22M

    Those box office numbers are *total*, not the opening weekend. None of
    these movies come close to being as good as "poor" at the box office. Only
    "Dukes of Hazzard" can be considered "so-so", FF is slightly worse, DB2 a
    flop, and "Stealth" being a big old stinking bomb.

    Compare that to the following:
    budget US box office
    March of the Penguins $ 8M $ 77M
    Longest Yard $ 82M $158M
    Hitch $ 70M $177M
    Batman Begins $135M $205M
    Wedding Crashers $ 40M $209M
    Harry Potter 4 $130M $230M (to date)
    War of the Worlds $132M $234M

    Now, some of these movies are just as poorly written as FF or "Stealth",
    but they are all at least moderately successful at the box office, so
    expect sequels to anything that can have one.

    --
    Jeff Rife | Radio Shack...you've got questions,
    Jeff Rife, Dec 6, 2005