Just want a simple setup for a sipgate number to one analogue phone.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by brightside S9, Jan 29, 2013.

  1. On 1 Feb 2013 15:22:57 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 14:53:40 +0000, brightside S9 wrote:

    >>>Does the on hook light go out when you lift the phone?

    >> No stays on solid - Should go to flashing state according to the quick
    >> start guide. If the light is OFF it means Port Not Ready, again
    >> according to the quick start guide . Phone port 2 light is off as not
    >> configured but see further down.

    >Should also go off when you lift the phone.

    >>>And indeed does the hook status change if you lift the phone and refresh
    >>>the page?
    >>>

    >> No, stays showing on hook.

    >Definitely on hook then!
    >
    >Both of these indicate that the wiring is faulty...
    >
    >> Also configured phone port 2. Same results. No dial tone and on hook
    >> indications on SPA112 lights and in the configuration utility, Refresh
    >> makes no difference.
    >>
    >> Just routed around in my junk box and found a spare RJ11 to BT plug
    >> cable that was orininall shipped with the netgear router. Hoping for a
    >> bit of luck, plugged the RJ11 end into the SPA112 and the BT plug into
    >> a BT double adapter, socket 1, and the phone with BT lead to RJ11
    >> (that's the on that works on BT line) into the double adapter socket.
    >>
    >> SPA - rj11 - cable[1] - btplug - bt double adapter- btplug - cable[2]
    >> - RJ11 - phone.
    >>
    >> [1] dont know the wiring in this, but 4 wires are presentat RJ11 end
    >> [2]wired straight pins 3 & 4 only
    >>
    >> No luck, just the same results as before for both phone ports.

    >These cables can be wired two different ways!

    I've ordered a couple of RJ11 to BT FSX adapters with ring capacitor.
    Not that I need the ring capacitor for this phone, but the adapter are
    branded Cisco (or so the seller claims). It is just that the adapters
    may stand a chance of being wired correctly. :cool:

    --
    brightside S9
    brightside S9, Feb 1, 2013

  2. brightside S9

    Graham. Guest

    <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:

    >On 1 Feb 2013 13:57:06 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:45:50 +0000, brightside S9 wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 30 Jan 2013 23:28:30 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:
    >>> I think I've managed to set it up OK. Ive followed the help on SPA112
    >>> configuration utility.
    >>>
    >>> SPA 112- I get System light on solid, Internet light on solid and phone
    >>> 1 on hook on solid.

    >>Does the on hook light go out when you lift the phone?

    >No stays on solid - Should go to flashing state according to the
    >quick start guide. If the light is OFF it means Port Not Ready, again
    >according to the quick start guide . Phone port 2 light is off as not
    >configured but see further down.
    >>
    >>> Looking at SPA112 Adapter configuration it shows:-
    >>> System status:
    >>> Elapsed time 45 minutes and counting.
    >>> SIP messages sent 12 SIP messages received 12 SIP Bytes sent 8031 SIP
    >>> Bytes received 5363
    >>>
    >>> Line 1 status:
    >>> Hook status ON Registerd Staus REGISTERED Lasr registration at 2/1/2013
    >>> 05:04:46 Next Registration in 255s Call 1 state IDLE Call 1 tone NONE
    >>> Call 2 state IDLE Call 2 tone NONE

    >>And indeed does the hook status change if you lift the phone and refresh
    >>the page?
    >>

    >No, stays showing on hook.
    >
    >>> Now of course the phone I'm using has a BT plug on it to RJ11 plug in
    >>> back of phone, RJ11 pins 3 & 4 to BT plug pins 2 & 5.
    >>>
    >>> So I have replaced that lead with a RJ11 plug to RJ11 plug pins 3 & 4
    >>> only wired.

    >>> There was no lead for the phone in the box of bits delivered with the
    >>> SPA112 and I cant find out what pins are used in the RJ11 sockets in the
    >>> SPA112. I'm guessing that I'll need a lead RJ11 to RJ11 plug bot not
    >>> wired straight pin to pin. What do you use for the connection?

    >>I use a little adaptor that plugs into the phone socket, with an RJ11
    >>socket on its front. I think the RJ11 wiring is the problem....but see
    >>above for my questions.

    >Also configured phone port 2. Same results. No dial tone and on hook
    >indications on SPA112 lights and in the configuration utility, Refresh
    >makes no difference.
    >
    >Just routed around in my junk box and found a spare RJ11 to BT plug
    >cable that was orininall shipped with the netgear router. Hoping for a
    >bit of luck, plugged the RJ11 end into the SPA112 and the BT plug
    >into a BT double adapter, socket 1, and the phone with BT lead to RJ11
    >(that's the on that works on BT line) into the double adapter socket.
    >
    >SPA - rj11 - cable[1] - btplug - bt double adapter- btplug - cable[2]
    >- RJ11 - phone.
    >
    >[1] dont know the wiring in this, but 4 wires are presentat RJ11 end
    >[2]wired straight pins 3 & 4 only
    >
    >No luck, just the same results as before for both phone ports.

    RJ11 pin numbering can cause confusion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack

    The only pins connected in the Sipura ate the *inner pair*, there is
    no confusion if you think of it that way.
    As those centre pins correspond with 2&5 on the BT plug it is not
    straight through, crossover would describe it better.

    You will find that the cable you are using has the *outer pair* of the
    4 pin RJ11 connected to 2&5 of the BT plug. Most phones come with such
    a cable so this is a common problem.

    If you have an old analogue modem the cable that came with it will
    almost certainly be what you need.

    Another way to tackle this is to use a spare RJ11 cable that you get
    with an ADSL router, and a spare ADSL filter like mine here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8436495526/in/photostream/lightbox/

    If all else fails, cut the cable you have in half and connect the
    wires up correctly.
    Graham., Feb 1, 2013

  3. brightside S9

    Bob Eager Guest

    Re: Just want a simple setup for a sipgate number to one analoguephone.

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:29:44 +0000, Graham. wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 14:53:40 +0000, brightside S9
    > <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:

    >>>Does the on hook light go out when you lift the phone?

    >>No stays on solid - Should go to flashing state according to the quick
    >>start guide. If the light is OFF it means Port Not Ready, again
    >>according to the quick start guide . Phone port 2 light is off as not
    >>configured but see further down.

    >>>And indeed does the hook status change if you lift the phone and
    >>>refresh the page?
    >>>

    >>No, stays showing on hook.

    >>>I use a little adaptor that plugs into the phone socket, with an RJ11
    >>>socket on its front. I think the RJ11 wiring is the problem....but see
    >>>above for my questions.

    >>Also configured phone port 2. Same results. No dial tone and on hook
    >>indications on SPA112 lights and in the configuration utility, Refresh
    >>makes no difference.
    >>
    >>Just routed around in my junk box and found a spare RJ11 to BT plug
    >>cable that was orininall shipped with the netgear router. Hoping for a
    >>bit of luck, plugged the RJ11 end into the SPA112 and the BT plug into
    >>a BT double adapter, socket 1, and the phone with BT lead to RJ11
    >>(that's the on that works on BT line) into the double adapter socket.
    >>
    >>SPA - rj11 - cable[1] - btplug - bt double adapter- btplug - cable[2]
    >>- RJ11 - phone.
    >>
    >>[1] dont know the wiring in this, but 4 wires are presentat RJ11 end
    >>[2]wired straight pins 3 & 4 only
    >>
    >>No luck, just the same results as before for both phone ports.

    > RJ11 pin numbering can cause confusion
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack
    >
    > The only pins connected in the Sipura ate the *inner pair*, there is no
    > confusion if you think of it that way.
    > As those centre pins correspond with 2&5 on the BT plug it is not
    > straight through, crossover would describe it better.
    >

    > You will find that the cable you are using has the *outer pair* of the 4
    > pin RJ11 connected to 2&5 of the BT plug. Most phones come with such a
    > cable so this is a common problem.
    >
    > If you have an old analogue modem the cable that came with it will
    > almost certainly be what you need.
    >
    > Another way to tackle this is to use a spare RJ11 cable that you get
    > with an ADSL router, and a spare ADSL filter like mine here:
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8436495526/in/photostream/lightbox/
    >
    > If all else fails, cut the cable you have in half and connect the wires
    > up correctly.

    I made my own cables but couldn't find my record of what I'd done.

    Bob Eager, Feb 1, 2013
  4. brightside S9

    Graham. Guest

    On 1 Feb 2013 20:56:28 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:29:44 +0000, Graham. wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 14:53:40 +0000, brightside S9
    >> <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:

    >>>No stays on solid - Should go to flashing state according to the quick
    >>>start guide. If the light is OFF it means Port Not Ready, again
    >>>according to the quick start guide . Phone port 2 light is off as not
    >>>configured but see further down.

    >>>No, stays showing on hook.

    >>>Also configured phone port 2. Same results. No dial tone and on hook
    >>>indications on SPA112 lights and in the configuration utility, Refresh
    >>>makes no difference.
    >>>
    >>>Just routed around in my junk box and found a spare RJ11 to BT plug
    >>>cable that was orininall shipped with the netgear router. Hoping for a
    >>>bit of luck, plugged the RJ11 end into the SPA112 and the BT plug into
    >>>a BT double adapter, socket 1, and the phone with BT lead to RJ11
    >>>(that's the on that works on BT line) into the double adapter socket.
    >>>
    >>>SPA - rj11 - cable[1] - btplug - bt double adapter- btplug - cable[2]
    >>>- RJ11 - phone.
    >>>
    >>>[1] dont know the wiring in this, but 4 wires are presentat RJ11 end
    >>>[2]wired straight pins 3 & 4 only
    >>>
    >>>No luck, just the same results as before for both phone ports.

    >> RJ11 pin numbering can cause confusion
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack
    >>
    >> The only pins connected in the Sipura ate the *inner pair*, there is no
    >> confusion if you think of it that way.
    >> As those centre pins correspond with 2&5 on the BT plug it is not
    >> straight through, crossover would describe it better.
    >>

    >> You will find that the cable you are using has the *outer pair* of the 4
    >> pin RJ11 connected to 2&5 of the BT plug. Most phones come with such a
    >> cable so this is a common problem.
    >>
    >> If you have an old analogue modem the cable that came with it will
    >> almost certainly be what you need.
    >>
    >> Another way to tackle this is to use a spare RJ11 cable that you get
    >> with an ADSL router, and a spare ADSL filter like mine here:
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8436495526/in/photostream/lightbox/
    >>
    >> If all else fails, cut the cable you have in half and connect the wires
    >> up correctly.

    >I made my own cables but couldn't find my record of what I'd done.

    My kludge even makes the pin 3 ring availible, should your phone
    require it.
    Graham., Feb 1, 2013
  5. On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:29:44 +0000, Graham. <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 14:53:40 +0000, brightside S9
    ><address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:

    >>>Does the on hook light go out when you lift the phone?

    >>No stays on solid - Should go to flashing state according to the
    >>quick start guide. If the light is OFF it means Port Not Ready, again
    >>according to the quick start guide . Phone port 2 light is off as not
    >>configured but see further down.

    >>>And indeed does the hook status change if you lift the phone and refresh
    >>>the page?
    >>>

    >>No, stays showing on hook.

    >>>I use a little adaptor that plugs into the phone socket, with an RJ11
    >>>socket on its front. I think the RJ11 wiring is the problem....but see
    >>>above for my questions.

    >>Also configured phone port 2. Same results. No dial tone and on hook
    >>indications on SPA112 lights and in the configuration utility, Refresh
    >>makes no difference.
    >>
    >>Just routed around in my junk box and found a spare RJ11 to BT plug
    >>cable that was orininall shipped with the netgear router. Hoping for a
    >>bit of luck, plugged the RJ11 end into the SPA112 and the BT plug
    >>into a BT double adapter, socket 1, and the phone with BT lead to RJ11
    >>(that's the on that works on BT line) into the double adapter socket.
    >>
    >>SPA - rj11 - cable[1] - btplug - bt double adapter- btplug - cable[2]
    >>- RJ11 - phone.
    >>
    >>[1] dont know the wiring in this, but 4 wires are presentat RJ11 end
    >>[2]wired straight pins 3 & 4 only
    >>
    >>No luck, just the same results as before for both phone ports.

    >RJ11 pin numbering can cause confusion
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack
    >
    >The only pins connected in the Sipura ate the *inner pair*, there is
    >no confusion if you think of it that way.

    That' what I needed to know.

    >As those centre pins correspond with 2&5 on the BT plug it is not
    >straight through, crossover would describe it better.

    Though that doesn't explain why the SIP112 wouldn't indicate off hook
    when I used an RJ to RJ cable with inner pair to inner pair and the
    cable plugged *directly* from the SPA112 into the phone to replace
    the BT to RJ11 cable, that I used when testing the phone in the BT
    socket. The BT to RJ11 cable had two wires in the inner pair of the
    RJ11 plug that goes into the phone. So I assumed that is what the
    phone wanted, and polarity doesn't matter. Though I haven't metered
    out that cable so it might just be duff. As simple as that. 8-(

    >You will find that the cable you are using has the *outer pair* of the
    >4 pin RJ11 connected to 2&5 of the BT plug. Most phones come with such
    >a cable so this is a common problem.

    That does explain why my bodge of connecting two cables and a BT
    double adapter failed. I metered out the this bodge, end to end,
    and the two inner connectors of the RJ11 that plug *directly* into the
    phone went to the outer pair in the RJ plug that went into the SPA112.

    >If you have an old analogue modem the cable that came with it will
    >almost certainly be what you need.
    >
    >Another way to tackle this is to use a spare RJ11 cable that you get
    >with an ADSL router, and a spare ADSL filter like mine here:
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8436495526/in/photostream/lightbox/
    >
    >If all else fails, cut the cable you have in half and connect the
    >wires up correctly.

    I'll go rumaging in my junk box, buried at the back of the garage. I
    know there are filters in there but I not sure that there are any
    'router' cables with all 4 or just 2 wires connected RJ11 to RJ11
    straight. I do remember bringing home some cables fron a $ shop in
    Toronto some years ago. I wonder what I did with them?

    I've just checked the configuration again. The 2nd line is registered
    (I deconfigured the 1st line to keep it simple for now). I have given
    the SPA112 a fixed IP address in the router. Sipgate shows the device
    status correctly (AFAICT). Now I just need to understand if I need
    to do anything about NAT. :cool:.

    Thanks for your help.

    --
    brightside S9
    brightside S9, Feb 1, 2013
  6. brightside S9

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 21:21:51 +0000, Graham. wrote:

    > On 1 Feb 2013 20:56:28 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:29:44 +0000, Graham. wrote:

    >>> RJ11 pin numbering can cause confusion
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack
    >>>
    >>> The only pins connected in the Sipura ate the *inner pair*, there is
    >>> no confusion if you think of it that way.
    >>> As those centre pins correspond with 2&5 on the BT plug it is not
    >>> straight through, crossover would describe it better.
    >>>

    >>> You will find that the cable you are using has the *outer pair* of the
    >>> 4 pin RJ11 connected to 2&5 of the BT plug. Most phones come with such
    >>> a cable so this is a common problem.
    >>>
    >>> If you have an old analogue modem the cable that came with it will
    >>> almost certainly be what you need.
    >>>
    >>> Another way to tackle this is to use a spare RJ11 cable that you get
    >>> with an ADSL router, and a spare ADSL filter like mine here:
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8436495526/in/photostream/lightbox/
    >>>
    >>> If all else fails, cut the cable you have in half and connect the
    >>> wires up correctly.

    >>I made my own cables but couldn't find my record of what I'd done.

    > My kludge even makes the pin 3 ring availible, should your phone require
    > it.

    Two old phones did, but I replaced them!

    I had 10 lines to do, so I bought 10 RJ11 to RJ11 cables. They plug into
    10 sockets which are wired to a Krone box, and thus to the house wiring.
    I could easily add ring caps in the Krone box (and I even have some
    somewhere), but those phones were cheap, old and tired anyway.

    (correct, it was the cables for the old ISDN PBX that I made myself.
    That's why I can't find any trace. The relevant "which pins on the RJ11"
    secret is contained within the Krone box; I took all four connections
    from the back of each of my 10 sockets right into the Krone box, and then
    chose the two that worked! They are cross-wired to the house wiring.

    Bob Eager, Feb 1, 2013
  7. brightside S9

    Woody Guest

    "brightside S9" <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]

    >>the
    >>wires up correctly.

    > I'll go rumaging in my junk box, buried at the back of the
    > garage. I
    > know there are filters in there but I not sure that there are
    > any
    > 'router' cables with all 4 or just 2 wires connected RJ11 to
    > RJ11
    > straight. I do remember bringing home some cables fron a $
    > shop in
    > Toronto some years ago. I wonder what I did with them?
    >
    > I've just checked the configuration again. The 2nd line is
    > registered
    > (I deconfigured the 1st line to keep it simple for now). I
    > have given
    > the SPA112 a fixed IP address in the router. Sipgate shows the
    > device
    > status correctly (AFAICT). Now I just need to understand if I

    No you don't - it is of no consequence.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
    Woody, Feb 1, 2013
  8. On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 23:04:55 -0000, "Woody" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >>>the
    >>>wires up correctly.

    >> I'll go rumaging in my junk box, buried at the back of the
    >> garage. I
    >> know there are filters in there but I not sure that there are
    >> any
    >> 'router' cables with all 4 or just 2 wires connected RJ11 to
    >> RJ11
    >> straight. I do remember bringing home some cables fron a $
    >> shop in
    >> Toronto some years ago. I wonder what I did with them?
    >>
    >> I've just checked the configuration again. The 2nd line is
    >> registered
    >> (I deconfigured the 1st line to keep it simple for now). I
    >> have given
    >> the SPA112 a fixed IP address in the router. Sipgate shows the
    >> device
    >> status correctly (AFAICT). Now I just need to understand if I

    Thanks for that Woody, and thanks to Graham for his trick with the
    ADSL filter, it works, and thanks to Bob for his assitance.

    Dial tone now OK and voice communication calling from a BT line gives
    clear enough speech both ways.

    Just one new niggle now. The phone on SIP112 only rings twice (USA
    style ring, that's OK by me) and then the caller gets the message
    that "the person you are calling is not available" This is far too
    short a time to get to the phone.

    I presume that is something in settings at Sipgate to make this time
    to keep ringing longer before deciding 'the person you have called is
    not available'. There's nothing in the configuration manual for the
    SIP112.

    Anyone care to give me a clue?

    --
    brightside S9
    brightside S9, Feb 2, 2013
  9. brightside S9

    Graham. Guest

    >Thanks for that Woody, and thanks to Graham for his trick with the
    >ADSL filter, it works, and thanks to Bob for his assitance.
    >
    >Dial tone now OK and voice communication calling from a BT line gives
    >clear enough speech both ways.
    >
    >Just one new niggle now. The phone on SIP112 only rings twice (USA
    >style ring, that's OK by me) and then the caller gets the message
    >that "the person you are calling is not available" This is far too
    >short a time to get to the phone.
    >
    >I presume that is something in settings at Sipgate to make this time
    >to keep ringing longer before deciding 'the person you have called is
    >not available'. There's nothing in the configuration manual for the
    >SIP112.
    >
    >Anyone care to give me a clue?

    Log onto your Sipgate account abd check the "call forwarding" options
    under "settings"
    Graham., Feb 2, 2013
  10. brightside S9

    Nick Guest

    On 02/02/2013 12:43, Graham. wrote:

    >> Thanks for that Woody, and thanks to Graham for his trick with the
    >> ADSL filter, it works, and thanks to Bob for his assitance.
    >>
    >> Dial tone now OK and voice communication calling from a BT line gives
    >> clear enough speech both ways.
    >>
    >> Just one new niggle now. The phone on SIP112 only rings twice (USA
    >> style ring, that's OK by me) and then the caller gets the message
    >> that "the person you are calling is not available" This is far too
    >> short a time to get to the phone.
    >>
    >> I presume that is something in settings at Sipgate to make this time
    >> to keep ringing longer before deciding 'the person you have called is
    >> not available'. There's nothing in the configuration manual for the
    >> SIP112.
    >>
    >> Anyone care to give me a clue?

    > Log onto your Sipgate account abd check the "call forwarding" options
    > under "settings"

    Are you sure it is at the Sipgate end. It wasn't clear from the PP if
    the VOIP call connected ok when he picked up quickly. If not I would
    suspect a problem with SIP protocol handshaking.
    Nick, Feb 2, 2013
  11. On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 12:43:47 +0000, Graham. <> wrote:

    >>Thanks for that Woody, and thanks to Graham for his trick with the
    >>ADSL filter, it works, and thanks to Bob for his assitance.
    >>
    >>Dial tone now OK and voice communication calling from a BT line gives
    >>clear enough speech both ways.
    >>
    >>Just one new niggle now. The phone on SIP112 only rings twice (USA
    >>style ring, that's OK by me) and then the caller gets the message
    >>that "the person you are calling is not available" This is far too
    >>short a time to get to the phone.
    >>
    >>I presume that is something in settings at Sipgate to make this time
    >>to keep ringing longer before deciding 'the person you have called is
    >>not available'. There's nothing in the configuration manual for the
    >>SIP112.
    >>
    >>Anyone care to give me a clue?

    >Log onto your Sipgate account abd check the "call forwarding" options
    >under "settings"

    What an ace you are kind sir.

    I'd found and read the SIP112 Adminstration Guide, found the Regional
    Settings, found the Cadence the incoming call was using by altering
    the on / off durations and listening to the ring on an incoming call,
    but altering the number of seconds for the duration of the call made
    no difference. It wouldn't would it, because the forwarding was set
    for after 10 seconds. Duh!

    Now all I have to do is mount the SIP112 on the wall in the cylinder
    cupboard and tidy up the wiring.

    ''easy to install' Sipgate tells me on its website! No mention of
    checking call forwarding!

    And I have only found one on-line retailler that mentions that the
    RJ11 to BT socket is recommended to be purchased with the SIP112.

    Thank you very much.

    --
    brightside S9
    brightside S9, Feb 2, 2013
  12. On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 13:04:39 +0000, Nick <>
    wrote:

    >On 02/02/2013 12:43, Graham. wrote:
    >>

    >>> Thanks for that Woody, and thanks to Graham for his trick with the
    >>> ADSL filter, it works, and thanks to Bob for his assitance.
    >>>
    >>> Dial tone now OK and voice communication calling from a BT line gives
    >>> clear enough speech both ways.
    >>>
    >>> Just one new niggle now. The phone on SIP112 only rings twice (USA
    >>> style ring, that's OK by me) and then the caller gets the message
    >>> that "the person you are calling is not available" This is far too
    >>> short a time to get to the phone.
    >>>
    >>> I presume that is something in settings at Sipgate to make this time
    >>> to keep ringing longer before deciding 'the person you have called is
    >>> not available'. There's nothing in the configuration manual for the
    >>> SIP112.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone care to give me a clue?

    >> Log onto your Sipgate account abd check the "call forwarding" options
    >> under "settings"
    >>

    >Are you sure it is at the Sipgate end. It wasn't clear from the PP if
    >the VOIP call connected ok when he picked up quickly. If not I would
    >suspect a problem with SIP protocol handshaking.

    Yes the call was connected if the handset was picked up quickly
    enough.

    --
    brightside S9
    brightside S9, Feb 2, 2013
  13. On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 13:27:02 +0000, brightside S9
    <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:

    >I'd found and read the SIP112 Adminstration Guide, found the Regional
    >Settings, found the Cadence the incoming call was using by altering
    >the on / off durations and listening to the ring on an incoming call,
    >but altering the number of seconds for the duration of the call made

    (above line should have read:-
    but altering the number of seconds for the duration of the cadence

    --
    brightside S9
    brightside S9, Feb 2, 2013
  14. On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 13:27:02 +0000, brightside S9
    <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:

    > It wouldn't would it, because the forwarding was set
    > for after 10 seconds. Duh!

    That Call For wading rule was created and installed by whom?
    Anthony R. Gold, Feb 2, 2013
  15. brightside S9

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 10:40:28 +0000, brightside S9 wrote:

    > Just one new niggle now. The phone on SIP112 only rings twice (USA
    > style ring, that's OK by me)

    Cadence is easy. Here are the settings. They're in XML because I download
    all my settings into my SPAs, but it's obvious what you set to what. Only
    the first three ring cadences are really significant - the others are
    ones I set for myself.

    <!-- Call Progress Tones -->
    <Dial_Tone>350@-19,440@-22;10(*/0/1+2)</Dial_Tone>
    <Busy_Tone>400@-20;10(.375/.375/1)</Busy_Tone>
    <Reorder_Tone>400@-20;10(*/0/1)</Reorder_Tone>
    <Ring_Back_Tone>400@-20,450@-20;*(.4/.2/1+2,.4/2/1+2)</Ring_Back_Tone>
    <SIT1_Tone>
    950@-16,1400@-16,1800@-16;20(.330/0/1,.330/0/2,.330/0/3,0/1/0)
    </SIT1_Tone>
    <MWI_Dial_Tone>350@-19,440@-22;10(.75/.75/1+2)</MWI_Dial_Tone>
    <!-- End of Call Progress Tones -->
    <!-- Distinctive Ring Patterns -->
    <Ring1_Cadence>60(.4/.2,.4/2)</Ring1_Cadence>
    <Ring2_Cadence>60(1/2)</Ring2_Cadence>
    <Ring3_Cadence>60(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/1.75)</Ring3_Cadence>
    <Ring4_Cadence>60(1.4/3)</Ring4_Cadence>
    <Ring5_Cadence>60(0.6/0.2,0.2/0.2,0.2/0.2,0.2/1.4)</Ring5_Cadence>
    <Ring6_Cadence>60(0.6/0.2,0.2/0.2,0.6/0.2,0.2/1.4)</Ring6_Cadence>
    <Ring7_Cadence>60(0.2/0.2,0.6/1.4)</Ring7_Cadence>
    <Ring8_Cadence>60(0.2/0.2,0.2/0.2,0.2/0.2,0.2/1.4)</Ring8_Cadence>
    <!-- End of Distinctive Ring Patterns -->
    <Ring_Waveform>Sinusoid</Ring_Waveform>
    <Ring_Frequency>25</Ring_Frequency>
    <Ring_Voltage>70</Ring_Voltage>
    <CWT_Frequency>400@-10</CWT_Frequency>

    Bob Eager, Feb 2, 2013
  16. On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 14:13:13 +0000, "Anthony R. Gold"

    brightside S9, Feb 2, 2013
  17. brightside S9

    Graham. Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 13:27:02 +0000, brightside S9
    ><address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> It wouldn't would it, because the forwarding was set
    >> for after 10 seconds. Duh!

    >That Call For wading rule was created and installed by whom?

    Do Sipgate configure the CF to go to VM by default? I can't remember.

    I do remember their default VM announcement was utterly dire.
    Graham., Feb 3, 2013
  18. brightside S9

    Graham. Guest

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 13:27:02 +0000, brightside S9
    <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 12:43:47 +0000, Graham. <> wrote:
    >

    >>>Thanks for that Woody, and thanks to Graham for his trick with the
    >>>ADSL filter, it works, and thanks to Bob for his assitance.
    >>>
    >>>Dial tone now OK and voice communication calling from a BT line gives
    >>>clear enough speech both ways.
    >>>
    >>>Just one new niggle now. The phone on SIP112 only rings twice (USA
    >>>style ring, that's OK by me) and then the caller gets the message
    >>>that "the person you are calling is not available" This is far too
    >>>short a time to get to the phone.
    >>>
    >>>I presume that is something in settings at Sipgate to make this time
    >>>to keep ringing longer before deciding 'the person you have called is
    >>>not available'. There's nothing in the configuration manual for the
    >>>SIP112.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone care to give me a clue?

    >>Log onto your Sipgate account abd check the "call forwarding" options
    >>under "settings"

    >What an ace you are kind sir.
    >
    >I'd found and read the SIP112 Adminstration Guide, found the Regional
    >Settings, found the Cadence the incoming call was using by altering
    >the on / off durations and listening to the ring on an incoming call,
    >but altering the number of seconds for the duration of the call made
    >no difference. It wouldn't would it, because the forwarding was set
    >for after 10 seconds. Duh!
    >
    >Now all I have to do is mount the SIP112 on the wall in the cylinder
    >cupboard and tidy up the wiring.
    >
    >''easy to install' Sipgate tells me on its website! No mention of
    >checking call forwarding!
    >
    >And I have only found one on-line retailler that mentions that the
    >RJ11 to BT socket is recommended to be purchased with the SIP112.
    >
    >Thank you very much.

    The last one I bought came from the Far East, so I was quite pleased
    it came with a British power plug.
    Graham., Feb 3, 2013
  19. On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 01:22:57 +0000, Graham. <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 14:13:13 +0000, "Anthony R. Gold"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 13:27:02 +0000, brightside S9
    >><address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It wouldn't would it, because the forwarding was set
    >>> for after 10 seconds. Duh!

    >>That Call For wading rule was created and installed by whom?

    >Do Sipgate configure the CF to go to VM by default? I can't remember.
    >
    >I do remember their default VM announcement was utterly dire.

    The explanation of why the call was forwarded to VM after the two
    rings (US style) is indicated in my original post.

    I have had the Sipgate number for several years, there has never any
    use of the number for voice to voice communication until I installed
    the SIP112 in the last few days.

    The Sipgate number was purely used for voice messages to voicemail and
    then forwarded to me by email. I was advised by the 'users' of the
    service that they like to hear ringing tone on their phone before
    being swtiched to VM. Hence the Call Forwading was set to switch
    after 10 seconds, rather than immediately. The need and use of
    this VM to email ceased a couple of years ago and since then the
    Sipgate number has been unused.

    Thus when I installed the SIP112 I had completely forgotten about Call
    Forwarding.

    --
    brightside S9
    brightside S9, Feb 3, 2013