Just starting -- MCPD vs. MCSD

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by heybrakywacky@hotmail.com, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    One of my New Year's resolutions, if you will, is getting my Microsoft
    certification this year. The certs I'm considering are the MCSD and
    the MCPD: Enterprise Applications Developer. For the MCSD, I have not
    gotten past starting in on the study material for 70-315...i.e. I'm
    very early into the process. I know Microsoft's FAQ for the new certs
    says that you should continue on your current cert path and upgrade
    later. But since I haven't really started down a path yet, for all
    practical purposes, I'm wondering if it's better to just start down the
    MCPD path and be ready for the tests once they're out of beta.

    I guess my main concern with going the MCPD route is that there isn't
    really that much in the way of study material out there at this point
    (understandably: there aren't even tests yet, per se), which makes me
    feel like I may be on hold from actually getting a start for a few
    months. And once I've decided to do something, I don't like to wait.
    :)

    On the other hand, I know I'll eventually be working toward the MCPD,
    whatever I do, and taking the indirect path to the MCPD via the MCSD
    means 7 tests instead of 5. If the MCPD is ultimately inevitable--and
    I believe it is--the indirect route seems to be less efficient.

    Anyway, as a newbie to MS certifications, I figured I would see if any
    of you seasoned veterans might have some advice for me. :)

    Thanks,
    Kevin
    , Dec 30, 2005

  2. Paul Qualls Guest

    rambled on and asked a buch of questions:

    > Anyway, as a newbie to MS certifications, I figured I would see if any
    > of you seasoned veterans might have some advice for me. :)

    If I were you, I would go ahead and get a current MCSD, then take the
    upgrade exams when they are available. If you are doing any consulting or
    trying to get a job, you will probably need the stuff on the current
    framework anyway because it will be some time before companies will be
    demanding 2.0 certs.

    just my $0.02.. ymmv

    Paul
    Paul Qualls, Dec 31, 2005

  3. December 31, 2005

    Good resolution! :)

    Frankly.... current MCSD .Net = 5 exams + 2 upgrade exams to MCPD = 7
    exams total

    .... MCPD with no upgrading = 7 exams and therefore is the same as getting
    your MCSD now and then upgrading. Therefore, I would go ahead and get the
    current MCSD and then upgrade as you will have the same exam amounts and you
    will have shown 'previous experience'. :) Just my thoughts...

    --

    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

    Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Guest

    My understanding (from Microsoft's site) is that for the MCPD: EAD, You
    have to take the four tests which make up the three MCTS certs, then
    70-549, making for only five exams.

    I think I'm going to end up waiting it out to do the MCPD from scratch.
    I already have a reasonable bounty of .NET Framework 1.1 professional
    experience on my resume, which makes getting the MCSD end up being more
    for posterity. I think I have enough other things that I want to be
    studying in addition to cert studying, which I can jump into now, while
    I wait for the new cert tests and materials to solidify. I figure by
    the time I get through "Refactoring to Patterns" and "Test-Driven
    Development in Microsoft .NET," I'll just start into "Pro C# 2005 and
    the .NET 2.0 Platform" if there still aren't cert-driven material
    packages out, and I'll augment my knowledge later for getting
    certified.

    Thanks, all, for weighing in.

    Kevin
    , Dec 31, 2005
  5. December 31, 2005

    lol I think you are right, it is only 5 exams. :) Thanks for pointing that
    out, and if you have something else worth studying for in the mean time,
    then I'd say to wait too. :) Good luck!!!

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Jan 1, 2006
  6. Rahul Goel Guest

    I am also thinking for the certification but as I came to know that MCPD is
    getting launched in the market, So Which five papers are common for the
    certification
    and which two upgrades

    Best Regards
    Rahul Goel
    Rahul Goel, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Word of caution:

    In .Net 2.0 ADO.NET has been radically simplified and MCAD 1.1 exams are
    heavy on the ADO.NET technologies….all of them.

    I personally don’t agree with the advice people here have been giving you at
    all.

    Read ASP.NET 2.0 book
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...103-7347969-3444627?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

    Read generic
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...103-7347969-3444627?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

    read ADO.NE
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...7969-3444627?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

    End of this month
    Read
    http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/7219.asp

    Read:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...103-7347969-3444627?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

    If you have even more time shoot for MCITP: SQL 2005 which there is already
    an exam for and material for.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Jan 10, 2006