Just started looking at a wee problem, any ideas please?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.

    My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
    scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba share
    on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.

    Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker and
    a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it to
    the Linux box, then the fun starts.

    The trick is going to be to extract the pdf inside the email into a
    directory as a file so it is viewable as a pdf....I am assumimg I can
    get sendmail to pipe it into an application and spit out the pdf
    again....or some such....anybody done something like this?

    I know mailman pipes via aliases....so I am assuming I can do something
    similar....

    eg

    "postmaster-problems: "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post postmaster-problems"

    So something like

    pdf: "|/ghostscript > /directory/$date/filename-n-$timestamp

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 4, 2008

  2. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > The trick is going to be to extract the pdf inside the email into a
    > directory as a file so it is viewable as a pdf....I am assumimg I can
    > get sendmail to pipe it into an application and spit out the pdf
    > again....or some such....anybody done something like this?

    Yeah, this is easy. In your .forward file, if you have an entry like

    | /path/to/executable

    the mail-delivery agent will spawn the executable, and feed the mail message
    to its standard input.

    If the executable is a Python script, it should be able to use something
    like the standard "email" package <http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html> to
    parse MIME attachments and do what you like with them.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 4, 2008

  3. thingy

    max Guest

    the bigger ones ( xerox that is ) will scan to samba share or ftp....

    thingy wrote:
    > The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
    >
    > My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
    > scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba share
    > on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
    >
    > Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker and
    > a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it to
    > the Linux box, then the fun starts.
    >
    > The trick is going to be to extract the pdf inside the email into a
    > directory as a file so it is viewable as a pdf....I am assumimg I can
    > get sendmail to pipe it into an application and spit out the pdf
    > again....or some such....anybody done something like this?
    >
    > I know mailman pipes via aliases....so I am assuming I can do something
    > similar....
    >
    > eg
    >
    > "postmaster-problems: "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post postmaster-problems"
    >
    > So something like
    >
    > pdf: "|/ghostscript > /directory/$date/filename-n-$timestamp
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    nh

    max, Mar 4, 2008
  4. thingy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    thingy <> wrote in news::

    > paste to a samba share
    > on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.

    A Konica Minolta would be able to send it directly into an FTP or Samba
    share. I think you might be over complicating your workflow.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 4, 2008
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    max wrote:
    > the bigger ones ( xerox that is ) will scan to samba share or ftp....
    >

    > thingy wrote:
    >> The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
    >>
    >> My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
    >> scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba
    >> share on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
    >>
    >> Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker
    >> and a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it
    >> to the Linux box, then the fun starts.
    >>
    >> The trick is going to be to extract the pdf inside the email into a
    >> directory as a file so it is viewable as a pdf....I am assumimg I can
    >> get sendmail to pipe it into an application and spit out the pdf
    >> again....or some such....anybody done something like this?
    >>
    >> I know mailman pipes via aliases....so I am assuming I can do
    >> something similar....
    >>
    >> eg
    >>
    >> "postmaster-problems: "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post
    >> postmaster-problems"
    >>
    >> So something like
    >>
    >> pdf: "|/ghostscript > /directory/$date/filename-n-$timestamp
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > nh

    The one we have can only email....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 4, 2008
  6. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, thingy did write:
    >
    >> The trick is going to be to extract the pdf inside the email into a
    >> directory as a file so it is viewable as a pdf....I am assumimg I can
    >> get sendmail to pipe it into an application and spit out the pdf
    >> again....or some such....anybody done something like this?

    > Yeah, this is easy. In your .forward file, if you have an entry like
    >
    > | /path/to/executable
    >
    > the mail-delivery agent will spawn the executable, and feed the mail message
    > to its standard input.
    >
    > If the executable is a Python script, it should be able to use something
    > like the standard "email" package <http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html> to
    > parse MIME attachments and do what you like with them.

    yep....kinda looking for a ready to go addon as opposed to trying to
    code something though....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 4, 2008
  7. thingy

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
    >
    > My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
    > scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba share
    > on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
    >
    > Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker and
    > a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it to
    > the Linux box, then the fun starts.

    Well.... I do just this using Outlook on a Windows box. We have an
    email address specifically for scans to be sent to and I've just set up
    a rule to save all attachments to a specified location when a message is
    received. It's an ugly and awful way to do it but it works just fine.

    EMB, Mar 4, 2008
  8. EMB wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
    >>
    >> My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
    >> scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba
    >> share on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
    >>
    >> Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker
    >> and a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it
    >> to the Linux box, then the fun starts.

    > Well.... I do just this using Outlook on a Windows box. We have an
    > email address specifically for scans to be sent to and I've just set up
    > a rule to save all attachments to a specified location when a message is
    > received. It's an ugly and awful way to do it but it works just fine.

    We use DC186, DCC250, DCC320 and so on models, we have ldap set up so
    the machine can search the global address book and email the PDF (Via a
    mailhost smpt) to anyone. Generally the user mails to themselves and
    then fowards from there own maqil account. Works well

    Collector€NZ, Mar 4, 2008
  9. thingy

    thingy Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
    >>
    >> My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
    >> scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba
    >> share on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
    >>
    >> Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker
    >> and a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it
    >> to the Linux box, then the fun starts.

    > Well.... I do just this using Outlook on a Windows box. We have an
    > email address specifically for scans to be sent to and I've just set up
    > a rule to save all attachments to a specified location when a message is
    > received. It's an ugly and awful way to do it but it works just fine.

    yep, same here, hence we want to improve it if we can easily.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 4, 2008
  10. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> If the executable is a Python script, it should be able to use something
    >> like the standard "email" package <http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html>
    >> to parse MIME attachments and do what you like with them.

    > yep....kinda looking for a ready to go addon as opposed to trying to
    > code something though....

    You could have got an initial Python script working by now.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 4, 2008
  11. thingy

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>> The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
    >>>
    >>> My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines
    >>> to scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba
    >>> share on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
    >>>
    >>> Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker
    >>> and a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get
    >>> it to the Linux box, then the fun starts.

    >> Well.... I do just this using Outlook on a Windows box. We have an
    >> email address specifically for scans to be sent to and I've just set
    >> up a rule to save all attachments to a specified location when a
    >> message is received. It's an ugly and awful way to do it but it works
    >> just fine.

    > yep, same here, hence we want to improve it if we can easily.

    Your original post implied manual intervention by a user, what we're
    doing is automatic - or have I missed something?

    EMB, Mar 5, 2008
  12. thingy

    thingy Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:

    >>> Well.... I do just this using Outlook on a Windows box. We have an
    >>> email address specifically for scans to be sent to and I've just set
    >>> up a rule to save all attachments to a specified location when a
    >>> message is received. It's an ugly and awful way to do it but it
    >>> works just fine.

    >> yep, same here, hence we want to improve it if we can easily.

    > Your original post implied manual intervention by a user, what we're
    > doing is automatic - or have I missed something?

    I need to check, I think its manualmatic!....basically up until now I
    just provide support for the Oracle RAC. So I only know that the file
    "just appears" on a samba share, its automated from there on. Now its
    been suggested I look at automating getting to the Linux server so its
    all automated....I suspect they collect it manually from
    Outlook/Exchange and drag and drop it to the samba share.....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Mar 5, 2008
  13. thingy wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> yep, same here, hence we want to improve it if we can easily.

    >> Your original post implied manual intervention by a user, what we're
    >> doing is automatic - or have I missed something?

    > I need to check, I think its manualmatic!....basically up until now I
    > just provide support for the Oracle RAC. So I only know that the file
    > "just appears" on a samba share, its automated from there on. Now its
    > been suggested I look at automating getting to the Linux server so its
    > all automated....I suspect they collect it manually from
    > Outlook/Exchange and drag and drop it to the samba share.....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    Why all this mucking around if they are Dc or DCC Fuji (you dont say)
    then use what is available in the machine for scan to email and forget
    the rest

    Collector€NZ, Mar 5, 2008