Just Say NO To Columbia House Canada!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bruce_Allen@sympatico.ca, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Just a warning to other Canadians out there NOT TO JOIN COLUMBIA HOUSE
    CANADA! Don't fall for their lucrative adverstisements and empty
    promises... I was a member for less than a year. (and yes I fullfilled
    my membership agreement thank-you very much!) I just dumped them today
    (March 25st) after getting a bullshit story of why they wouldn't give
    me the advertised sale price of $9.98 on a DVD that I ordered from
    their website. Instead, they billed me the full amount of $19.95 plus
    GST/PST and $3.69 for shipping for a grand total of $27.18 on a movie
    that Wal*Mart will probably sell for $7! This isn't the first time this
    has happened either. Every time I called to get a problem fixed, I
    would get the run around and they gave me story after story, with each
    person contradicting what the other one said. They are a shady company
    at best, and I think it wise to avoid mail order companies in general.
    Never again. Consider yourselves warned. DON'T DO IT. I also have a
    good notion to get a letter typed up from my lawyer if they keep
    insisting on sending me stuff... **** you CHC.
    , Mar 25, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    CHC (Columbia House Canada) is bad news. You are right Bruce, they ARE
    a shady company to say the least. I used to be a member of both their
    music and DVD club. It's not worth it. The selection was terrible,
    their return policy was a joke, and the customer service department was
    run by a bunch of clueless idiots. There are movies that CHC was
    selling for $20 that I later seen out at Wal-Mart in the $6.88 bin!
    Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    surprised they're even still in business.

    Dave.
    , Mar 25, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. pertnoy Guest

    LOL
    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > CHC (Columbia House Canada) is bad news. You are right Bruce, they ARE
    > a shady company to say the least. I used to be a member of both their
    > music and DVD club. It's not worth it. The selection was terrible,
    > their return policy was a joke, and the customer service department was
    > run by a bunch of clueless idiots. There are movies that CHC was
    > selling for $20 that I later seen out at Wal-Mart in the $6.88 bin!
    > Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    > surprised they're even still in business.
    >
    > Dave.
    >
    pertnoy, Mar 26, 2005
    #3
  4. Rob Guest

    > Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    > surprised they're even still in business.
    >
    >


    How many would that be, exactly?
    Rob, Mar 26, 2005
    #4
  5. Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > > Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    > > surprised they're even still in business.
    > >
    > >

    >
    > How many would that be, exactly?



    According to the woman I spoke with yesterday at the BBB here in
    Toronto, there's been over 1200 complaints lodged about CHC since 2002.
    I just added another one.

    Dave.
    , Mar 26, 2005
    #5
  6. G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <>,
    wrote:


    > CHC (Columbia House Canada) is bad news. You are right Bruce, they ARE
    > a shady company to say the least. I used to be a member of both their
    > music and DVD club. It's not worth it. The selection was terrible,
    > their return policy was a joke, and the customer service department was
    > run by a bunch of clueless idiots. There are movies that CHC was
    > selling for $20 that I later seen out at Wal-Mart in the $6.88 bin!
    > Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    > surprised they're even still in business.
    >

    Well, I'm surprised at that, too, but mostly because I can't believe anyone
    still joins record (and/or DVD) clubs in this day and age. Haven't you guys
    heard of the Internet?
    G. M. Watson, Mar 26, 2005
    #6
  7. P Pron Guest

    G. M. Watson wrote:
    > ----------
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >> CHC (Columbia House Canada) is bad news. You are right Bruce, they
    >> ARE a shady company to say the least. I used to be a member of both
    >> their music and DVD club. It's not worth it. The selection was
    >> terrible, their return policy was a joke, and the customer service
    >> department was run by a bunch of clueless idiots. There are movies
    >> that CHC was selling for $20 that I later seen out at Wal-Mart in
    >> the $6.88 bin! Given the amount of complaints this company has with
    >> the BBB, I'm surprised they're even still in business.
    >>

    > Well, I'm surprised at that, too, but mostly because I can't believe
    > anyone still joins record (and/or DVD) clubs in this day and age.
    > Haven't you guys heard of the Internet?


    I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic to join Columbia House Canada or USA,
    but isn't part of their come-on the fact that they have *exclusive* rights
    to some titles that aren't therefore available elsewhere? If that's the
    case, neither online nor brick & mortar stores are of much help, are they?

    paul
    P Pron, Mar 26, 2005
    #7
  8. Rob Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Rob wrote:
    > > > Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    > > > surprised they're even still in business.
    > > >
    > > >

    > >
    > > How many would that be, exactly?

    >
    >
    > According to the woman I spoke with yesterday at the BBB here in
    > Toronto, there's been over 1200 complaints lodged about CHC since 2002.
    > I just added another one.
    >
    >


    Ouch! It is a wonder they are still allowed to continue. Too bad the BBB
    doesn't have any enforcement power.

    Thanks for the info ...
    Rob, Mar 26, 2005
    #8
  9. Joe S Guest

    G. M. Watson wrote:
    >
    > ----------
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>CHC (Columbia House Canada) is bad news. You are right Bruce, they ARE
    >>a shady company to say the least. I used to be a member of both their
    >>music and DVD club. It's not worth it. The selection was terrible,
    >>their return policy was a joke, and the customer service department was
    >>run by a bunch of clueless idiots. There are movies that CHC was
    >>selling for $20 that I later seen out at Wal-Mart in the $6.88 bin!
    >>Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    >>surprised they're even still in business.
    >>

    >
    > Well, I'm surprised at that, too, but mostly because I can't believe anyone
    > still joins record (and/or DVD) clubs in this day and age. Haven't you guys
    > heard of the Internet?



    There is no better pricing available on the Internet than Columbia House
    IF you like to buy several at a time. No, it's not good for
    onesy-twosies, but if you get 8 to 20 or more at a time, and can wait a
    few weeks for the best offers to come up, it's the best available.

    However, they do not carry everything, noticably missing is Disney
    animation.

    You can google this group for details.

    --
    Joe
    Joe S, Mar 26, 2005
    #9
  10. >Joe S <> wrote:

    >There is no better pricing available on the Internet than Columbia House
    >IF you like to buy several at a time. No, it's not good for
    >onesy-twosies, but if you get 8 to 20 or more at a time, and can wait a
    >few weeks for the best offers to come up, it's the best available.
    >
    >However, they do not carry everything, noticably missing is Disney
    >animation.


    They also don't carry many Disney live action titles like Pirates of
    the Caribbean. I've had a number of CH DVD Club memberships over the
    past few years, no problems that weren't rectified with an email. I
    believe my last membership came out to approx. CAD$9 per title.
    Maureen Goldman, Mar 26, 2005
    #10
  11. Dave Walker Guest

    I dropped CHC after they kept sending me damaged DVD's, and then having the
    nerve to blame ME for it. They still charged me for one of the DVD's
    because I had already opened it. (only way to see if it's been damaged or
    not). I sent it back with a strongly worded letter. I never heard back
    from them since!


    "Maureen Goldman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > >Joe S <> wrote:

    >
    >>There is no better pricing available on the Internet than Columbia House
    >>IF you like to buy several at a time. No, it's not good for
    >>onesy-twosies, but if you get 8 to 20 or more at a time, and can wait a
    >>few weeks for the best offers to come up, it's the best available.
    >>
    >>However, they do not carry everything, noticably missing is Disney
    >>animation.

    >
    > They also don't carry many Disney live action titles like Pirates of
    > the Caribbean. I've had a number of CH DVD Club memberships over the
    > past few years, no problems that weren't rectified with an email. I
    > believe my last membership came out to approx. CAD$9 per title.
    >
    >
    Dave Walker, Mar 26, 2005
    #11
  12. > Well, I'm surprised at that, too, but mostly because I can't believe
    > anyone
    > still joins record (and/or DVD) clubs in this day and age. Haven't you
    > guys
    > heard of the Internet?


    I'm a member of CH's dv2.com club and the regular club. After you're done
    buying what you have to, cancel the regular account and start over. They
    just recently had a great deal (buy 1 get 1 free) and I racked up a nice
    funcash balance ($79) to use when they have the redemption period next
    month. I've never had any problems that they didn't fix. Oh the money I
    could have saved if I had started doing the Columbia House game earlier (for
    the titles they do carry).
    Michael Walker, Mar 26, 2005
    #12
  13. G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <QJf1e.14431$Ax.4143@trnddc04>, Joe S <> wrote:


    > G. M. Watson wrote:
    >>
    >> ----------
    >> In article <>,
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>CHC (Columbia House Canada) is bad news. You are right Bruce, they ARE
    >>>a shady company to say the least. I used to be a member of both their
    >>>music and DVD club. It's not worth it. The selection was terrible,
    >>>their return policy was a joke, and the customer service department was
    >>>run by a bunch of clueless idiots. There are movies that CHC was
    >>>selling for $20 that I later seen out at Wal-Mart in the $6.88 bin!
    >>>Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    >>>surprised they're even still in business.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Well, I'm surprised at that, too, but mostly because I can't believe anyone
    >> still joins record (and/or DVD) clubs in this day and age. Haven't you guys
    >> heard of the Internet?

    >
    >
    > There is no better pricing available on the Internet than Columbia House
    > IF you like to buy several at a time. No, it's not good for
    > onesy-twosies, but if you get 8 to 20 or more at a time, and can wait a
    > few weeks for the best offers to come up, it's the best available.
    >
    > However, they do not carry everything, noticably missing is Disney
    > animation.
    >
    > You can google this group for details.
    >

    I'm guessing they probably don't carry a lot of Rohmer, Tarkovsky,
    Kobayashi, Renoir, Ray, or Wajda, either. Thanks anyway...
    G. M. Watson, Mar 27, 2005
    #13
  14. Joe S Guest

    G. M. Watson wrote:
    >
    > ----------
    > In article <QJf1e.14431$Ax.4143@trnddc04>, Joe S <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>G. M. Watson wrote:
    >>
    >>>----------
    >>>In article <>,
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>CHC (Columbia House Canada) is bad news. You are right Bruce, they ARE
    >>>>a shady company to say the least. I used to be a member of both their
    >>>>music and DVD club. It's not worth it. The selection was terrible,
    >>>>their return policy was a joke, and the customer service department was
    >>>>run by a bunch of clueless idiots. There are movies that CHC was
    >>>>selling for $20 that I later seen out at Wal-Mart in the $6.88 bin!
    >>>>Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    >>>>surprised they're even still in business.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>Well, I'm surprised at that, too, but mostly because I can't believe anyone
    >>>still joins record (and/or DVD) clubs in this day and age. Haven't you guys
    >>>heard of the Internet?

    >>
    >>
    >>There is no better pricing available on the Internet than Columbia House
    >>IF you like to buy several at a time. No, it's not good for
    >>onesy-twosies, but if you get 8 to 20 or more at a time, and can wait a
    >>few weeks for the best offers to come up, it's the best available.
    >>
    >>However, they do not carry everything, noticably missing is Disney
    >>animation.
    >>
    >>You can google this group for details.
    >>

    >
    > I'm guessing they probably don't carry a lot of Rohmer, Tarkovsky,
    > Kobayashi, Renoir, Ray, or Wajda, either. Thanks anyway...



    Only A Tale of Springtime, Pather Panchali and The World of Apu. But if
    that's all that interests you, then you don't have any need for CH.

    Even you must recognize that your limited tastes are not hardly
    representative of the newsgroup at large, and in no way invalidate my
    response.

    (Oh, and could you possibly *be* any more pretentious????)


    --
    Joe
    Joe S, Mar 28, 2005
    #14
  15. G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <d0P1e.33943$oa6.31160@trnddc07>, Joe S <>
    wrote:


    > G. M. Watson wrote:
    >>
    >> ----------
    >> In article <QJf1e.14431$Ax.4143@trnddc04>, Joe S <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>G. M. Watson wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>----------
    >>>>In article <>,
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>CHC (Columbia House Canada) is bad news. You are right Bruce, they ARE
    >>>>>a shady company to say the least. I used to be a member of both their
    >>>>>music and DVD club. It's not worth it. The selection was terrible,
    >>>>>their return policy was a joke, and the customer service department was
    >>>>>run by a bunch of clueless idiots. There are movies that CHC was
    >>>>>selling for $20 that I later seen out at Wal-Mart in the $6.88 bin!
    >>>>>Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    >>>>>surprised they're even still in business.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Well, I'm surprised at that, too, but mostly because I can't believe anyone
    >>>>still joins record (and/or DVD) clubs in this day and age. Haven't you guys
    >>>>heard of the Internet?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>There is no better pricing available on the Internet than Columbia House
    >>>IF you like to buy several at a time. No, it's not good for
    >>>onesy-twosies, but if you get 8 to 20 or more at a time, and can wait a
    >>>few weeks for the best offers to come up, it's the best available.
    >>>
    >>>However, they do not carry everything, noticably missing is Disney
    >>>animation.
    >>>
    >>>You can google this group for details.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I'm guessing they probably don't carry a lot of Rohmer, Tarkovsky,
    >> Kobayashi, Renoir, Ray, or Wajda, either. Thanks anyway...

    >
    >
    > Only A Tale of Springtime, Pather Panchali and The World of Apu. But if
    > that's all that interests you, then you don't have any need for CH.
    >
    > Even you must recognize that your limited tastes are not hardly
    > representative of the newsgroup at large, and in no way invalidate my
    > response.
    >
    > (Oh, and could you possibly *be* any more pretentious????)
    >

    If a decided preference for classic cinematic art, a level of intelligence
    somewhat above Cro-Magnon, and a near-total lack of interest in just about
    everything that plops out of the Hollywood shitpipe nowadays equals
    "pretension" in your eyes, then just imagine the names I could call a
    determined plebian like you. "Limited tastes"? You know nothing whatsoever
    about my tastes, junior. Get back to the multiplex and have another order of
    nachos.
    G. M. Watson, Mar 28, 2005
    #15
  16. Jay G. Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:15:28 -0800, G. M. Watson wrote:

    > In article <d0P1e.33943$oa6.31160@trnddc07>, Joe S <>
    > wrote:
    >> (Oh, and could you possibly *be* any more pretentious????)
    >>

    > If a decided preference for classic cinematic art, a level of intelligence
    > somewhat above Cro-Magnon, and a near-total lack of interest in just about
    > everything that plops out of the Hollywood shitpipe nowadays equals
    > "pretension" in your eyes, then just imagine the names I could call a
    > determined plebian like you.


    Actually, associating cinematic tastes with intelligence, as well as
    generalizing Hollywood films marks you as pretentious.

    Taste in films has no direct correlation with overall intelligence. And
    while Hollywood does put out a lot of crap, so do independent filmmakers
    and foreign countries. As hard as it may be for you to acknowledge, there
    are occasionally good films that come out of "Hollywood" as well.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Mar 28, 2005
    #16
  17. P Pron Guest

    Jay G. wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:15:28 -0800, G. M. Watson wrote:
    >
    >> In article <d0P1e.33943$oa6.31160@trnddc07>, Joe S
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> (Oh, and could you possibly *be* any more pretentious????)
    >>>

    >> If a decided preference for classic cinematic art, a level of
    >> intelligence somewhat above Cro-Magnon, and a near-total lack of
    >> interest in just about everything that plops out of the Hollywood
    >> shitpipe nowadays equals "pretension" in your eyes, then just
    >> imagine the names I could call a determined plebian like you.

    >
    > Actually, associating cinematic tastes with intelligence, as well as
    > generalizing Hollywood films marks you as pretentious.
    >
    > Taste in films has no direct correlation with overall intelligence.
    > And while Hollywood does put out a lot of crap, so do independent
    > filmmakers and foreign countries. As hard as it may be for you to
    > acknowledge, there are occasionally good films that come out of
    > "Hollywood" as well.
    >
    > -Jay


    Well said - "pretentious" was a perfect description for the original post,
    and and "childishly rude" seems to me to fit the bill for the follow-up.
    Well typed, though, considering that one hand was obviously occupied with
    below-the-waist activities...

    paul
    P Pron, Mar 28, 2005
    #17
  18. Joe S Guest

    G. M. Watson wrote:
    >
    > ----------
    > In article <d0P1e.33943$oa6.31160@trnddc07>, Joe S <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>G. M. Watson wrote:
    >>
    >>>----------
    >>>In article <QJf1e.14431$Ax.4143@trnddc04>, Joe S <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>G. M. Watson wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>----------
    >>>>>In article <>,
    >>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>CHC (Columbia House Canada) is bad news. You are right Bruce, they ARE
    >>>>>>a shady company to say the least. I used to be a member of both their
    >>>>>>music and DVD club. It's not worth it. The selection was terrible,
    >>>>>>their return policy was a joke, and the customer service department was
    >>>>>>run by a bunch of clueless idiots. There are movies that CHC was
    >>>>>>selling for $20 that I later seen out at Wal-Mart in the $6.88 bin!
    >>>>>>Given the amount of complaints this company has with the BBB, I'm
    >>>>>>surprised they're even still in business.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Well, I'm surprised at that, too, but mostly because I can't believe anyone
    >>>>>still joins record (and/or DVD) clubs in this day and age. Haven't you guys
    >>>>>heard of the Internet?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>There is no better pricing available on the Internet than Columbia House
    >>>>IF you like to buy several at a time. No, it's not good for
    >>>>onesy-twosies, but if you get 8 to 20 or more at a time, and can wait a
    >>>>few weeks for the best offers to come up, it's the best available.
    >>>>
    >>>>However, they do not carry everything, noticably missing is Disney
    >>>>animation.
    >>>>
    >>>>You can google this group for details.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>I'm guessing they probably don't carry a lot of Rohmer, Tarkovsky,
    >>>Kobayashi, Renoir, Ray, or Wajda, either. Thanks anyway...

    >>
    >>
    >>Only A Tale of Springtime, Pather Panchali and The World of Apu. But if
    >>that's all that interests you, then you don't have any need for CH.
    >>
    >>Even you must recognize that your limited tastes are not hardly
    >>representative of the newsgroup at large, and in no way invalidate my
    >>response.
    >>
    >>(Oh, and could you possibly *be* any more pretentious????)
    >>

    >
    > If a decided preference for classic cinematic art, a level of intelligence
    > somewhat above Cro-Magnon, and a near-total lack of interest in just about
    > everything that plops out of the Hollywood shitpipe nowadays equals
    > "pretension" in your eyes, then just imagine the names I could call a
    > determined plebian like you. "Limited tastes"? You know nothing whatsoever
    > about my tastes, junior. Get back to the multiplex and have another order of
    > nachos.



    Yes, maximum pretense. The agenda for your initial post in this thread
    was to discredit CH by any means necessary. Since your post was
    challenged as to be incorrect, on a financial basis, you flung back a
    hypothesis that was also shown to be not entirely correct.

    Available at CH are any number of movies, new and not so new. If your
    tastes are limited to titles that are unavailable at CH (excepting 3
    from the filmmakers you listed), that *is* woefully limited, and I do
    feel sorry for you.


    --
    Joe
    Joe S, Mar 28, 2005
    #18
  19. LOL! Well buddy, I can tell you that are 100% correct in your assessment of
    Columbia House. Why? Because I used to work there in the big warehouse in
    Scarborough, both as a stock boy and an occasional customer service rep.
    They are CROOKS. I know all about what goes on behind the scenes and the
    total incompetence that plagues the whole company. They suck you in with
    their lucrative ads and clever marketing strategies. That's one of the main
    reason I quit. I've never dealt with so many stupid, shady people as the
    bunch that worked there. Nearly the entire workforce was composed of
    immigrants and people who couldn't speak or understand a word of the english
    language. And do you know what they do with all those movies and CD's that
    you send back? They GARBAGE them. That's right folks. They don't send
    them back to the supply room or restock them, they simply toss them out like
    yesterday's trash. Also, many people believe that CHC manufactures and
    distributes their own discs. They DO NOT. The DVD's actually come from
    Indiana, and when a customer places an order, the computer system is linked
    to Indiana, where they have their main customer database, and then the item
    is dispatched to the customer. It's quite an operation to say the least,
    and now you know why their shipping and handling fees are so ridiculous. I
    could write an entire book about the 5 years that I spent working there, but
    I'll spare you the details. I'm glad you ditched them. Just wait for a
    letter to arrive begging you to reconsider your membership. LOL.

    Jordan


    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just a warning to other Canadians out there NOT TO JOIN COLUMBIA HOUSE
    > CANADA! Don't fall for their lucrative adverstisements and empty
    > promises... I was a member for less than a year. (and yes I fullfilled
    > my membership agreement thank-you very much!) I just dumped them today
    > (March 25st) after getting a bullshit story of why they wouldn't give
    > me the advertised sale price of $9.98 on a DVD that I ordered from
    > their website. Instead, they billed me the full amount of $19.95 plus
    > GST/PST and $3.69 for shipping for a grand total of $27.18 on a movie
    > that Wal*Mart will probably sell for $7! This isn't the first time this
    > has happened either. Every time I called to get a problem fixed, I
    > would get the run around and they gave me story after story, with each
    > person contradicting what the other one said. They are a shady company
    > at best, and I think it wise to avoid mail order companies in general.
    > Never again. Consider yourselves warned. DON'T DO IT. I also have a
    > good notion to get a letter typed up from my lawyer if they keep
    > insisting on sending me stuff... **** you CHC.
    >
    Jordan Zimmer, Mar 28, 2005
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ryan Hopak

    Re: Columbia House:Real Deal or Ripoff???

    Ryan Hopak, Jun 24, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,476
    Ryan Hopak
    Jun 24, 2003
  2. CLOSEDOWN8
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    408
    CLOSEDOWN8
    Jul 4, 2003
  3. CLOSEDOWN8
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    384
    Shinner
    Jul 4, 2003
  4. Maureen Goldman

    Re: Columbia House Canada (DVD formats?)

    Maureen Goldman, Apr 1, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,193
    Maureen Goldman
    Apr 1, 2004
  5. Peter Jokan

    British Columbia, Canada - New Photos

    Peter Jokan, Jul 29, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    284
    Bob Williams
    Jul 30, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page