Just saw Cars on Blu-Ray: now *this* is what high-definition shouldlook like!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by The alMIGHTY N, Dec 26, 2007.

  1. I just posted this review to Amazon.com:

    ==============================

    When I first heard about Cars, I didn't think much of it. I always
    loved Pixar's movies but I couldn't really see what they were trying
    to accomplish with a movie where there wasn't a single humanoid to be
    found anywhere. Plus, I thought another "talking cars" property would
    be as stupid as all the other ones. I didn't see or read much about
    the movie in the months leading to its release in theaters and so
    didn't have a whole lot of reason to expect a lot from the movie,
    which I was going to see almost out of duty (both because my younger
    cousins were in town and because it was a Pixar film).

    After the credits rolled, I knew I had just watched my second favorite
    Pixar film and one of my top 10 Disney films of all time. I still like
    Finding Nemo the best because it has a more emotional and universal
    moral component to it. I also happen to think that Ratatouille is a
    better "film" in general but I had a LOT more fun watching Cars. Like
    with Finding Nemo, I can watch this movie over and over again and not
    get tired of it. It may have to do with the inner child in me - my
    young nephew can't get enough of Cars and Finding Nemo but isn't
    nearly as impressed with The Incredibles and Ratatouille, two films my
    wife and friends like more.

    I liken Cars to Shrek in the sense that there's always something
    interesting going on in the background if you care to look past the
    core of what's happening. The world in which Lightning McQueen and
    Mater live is cleverly designed to be almost exactly like ours would
    be if there all organic life forms were replaced with motorized
    vehicles. Even many parts of the landscape are shaped like vehicles in
    much the same way we sometimes think that a mountain or tree kind of
    looks like the side of someone's face. And many aspects of the world
    are dealt with in the clever manner we've come to expect from the
    geniuses at Pixar - insects are VW Beetles, Lighting McQueen's two
    biggest fans love to flash their headlights (quite literally, for
    those of you with your mind in the gutter) and the racing commentators
    are named Bob Cutlass and Darryl Cartrip.

    While the general premise of the story is nothing new and fairly basic
    - a hot shot rookie race car concerned only with himself ends up in a
    long forgotten midwest town where the locals help him learn to enjoy
    life and care about something greater than oneself - the movie is
    immensely fun to watch, thanks mostly to the personality quirks of the
    citizens (specifically a run down tow truck with a good soul) of
    Radiator Springs, "the cutest little town in Carburetor County." It's
    always a joy to watch McQueen discover that there's more to life than
    fame and money.

    If the movie being great wasn't enough, this particular Blu-Ray disc
    also boasts the hands-down best video quality I've seen in any high-
    definition disc. This is the first movie I've seen where I can say
    that if you haven't seen it in high-definition, you haven't seen it at
    all. CGI movies tend to have really impressive transfers because the
    studios can use masters stored digitally instead of on film, but Cars
    outshines all others... and it's not a photo finish by a long shot.
    There are tons of little details that I didn't even see when I saw it
    on the big screen a year and a half ago. One perfect example is
    Lightning McQueen's paint job. Before I watched the Blu-Ray disc last
    night (Christmas Day), I didn't know that there were all these little
    sparkles in the paint similar to the "jewel" or "pearl" type colors
    you see for new car models these days (if you've seen the red 2008
    Saturn Outlook, you'll know what I mean). My jaw simply dropped when I
    noticed that because it was just a completel revelation to me, all
    thanks to Blu-Ray (and my television is just 1080i).

    Another impressive thing about this disc is the "Car Finder"
    interactive movie game, a first of this kind on any home movie format.
    When you play this game, a special little heads-up graphical user
    interface comes on over the movie which shows your score, what cars to
    look for and how many you've missed so far. The premise of the game is
    that you basically keep an eye out for specific cars shown at the
    bottom of the screen. If you see one in any particular scene of the
    movie, you hit an action button on your remote control and a new car
    to look for pops up in its place. Even better, every car you find is
    added to a huge showcase gallery that has a close-up image of the car,
    the scene in which the car appeared and an audio background biography
    of the character (you can now find out what the actual name of the
    Apple-sponsored car in the opening Dinoco 400 race is). The only
    annoying aspect is that the normal controls for the movie (pause,
    stop, skip, etc.) are disabled - the only way to get out of the movie
    is to hit the "Pop-up Menu" button.

    All in all, this is hands-down the best and most impressive high-
    definition release so far (this is coming from a staunch HD-DVD
    supporter). I cannot recommend this movie highly enough unless you
    either just didn't like this movie or aren't a fan of "kids'" movies
    in the first place. Otherwise, if you own a Blu-Ray player, do
    yourself a service and purchase Cars today... or even better, buy a
    Blu-Ray player to enjoy this movie in a whole new way!

    The alMIGHTY N, Dec 26, 2007

  2. The alMIGHTY N

    Guest

    Re: Just saw Cars on Blu-Ray: now *this* is what high-definitionshould look like!

    On Dec 26, 3:28 pm, The alMIGHTY N <> wrote:
    > All in all, this is hands-down the best and most impressive high-
    > definition release so far (this is coming from a staunch HD-DVD
    > supporter). I cannot recommend this movie highly enough unless you
    > either just didn't like this movie or aren't a fan of "kids'" movies
    > in the first place. Otherwise, if you own a Blu-Ray player, do
    > yourself a service and purchase Cars today... or even better, buy a
    > Blu-Ray player to enjoy this movie in a whole new way!

    Reminds me of an episode of "Third Rock From the Sun" back when DVD
    was first starting to catch on. The characters are all sitting around
    watching a movie when Sally walks in. They explain to her that they've
    just gotten a DVD player and the picture looks GREAT and the 5.1
    surround sound is incredible. She just looks at them and asks "Is that
    'Leprechaun 2' you're watching?" They respond with, "Yeah, and it
    comes with a director's commentary track!"

    , Dec 27, 2007

  3. The alMIGHTY N

    David Z Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 26, 3:28 pm, The alMIGHTY N <> wrote:
    >> All in all, this is hands-down the best and most impressive high-
    >> definition release so far (this is coming from a staunch HD-DVD
    >> supporter). I cannot recommend this movie highly enough unless you
    >> either just didn't like this movie or aren't a fan of "kids'" movies
    >> in the first place. Otherwise, if you own a Blu-Ray player, do
    >> yourself a service and purchase Cars today... or even better, buy a
    >> Blu-Ray player to enjoy this movie in a whole new way!

    > Reminds me of an episode of "Third Rock From the Sun" back when DVD
    > was first starting to catch on. The characters are all sitting around
    > watching a movie when Sally walks in. They explain to her that they've
    > just gotten a DVD player and the picture looks GREAT and the 5.1
    > surround sound is incredible. She just looks at them and asks "Is that
    > 'Leprechaun 2' you're watching?" They respond with, "Yeah, and it
    > comes with a director's commentary track!"

    It's been a while since I've seen this show, but aren't the characters all
    aliens originally from a more advanced world? Why would they be impressed
    by our 'primitive' DVD technology?

    David Z, Dec 27, 2007
  4. Re: Just saw Cars on Blu-Ray: now *this* is what high-definitionshould look like!

    David Z wrote:

    >>Reminds me of an episode of "Third Rock From the Sun" back when DVD
    >>was first starting to catch on. The characters are all sitting around
    >>watching a movie when Sally walks in. They explain to her that they've
    >>just gotten a DVD player and the picture looks GREAT and the 5.1
    >>surround sound is incredible. She just looks at them and asks "Is that
    >>'Leprechaun 2' you're watching?" They respond with, "Yeah, and it
    >>comes with a director's commentary track!"

    "The director of Leprechaun 2!!"

    > It's been a while since I've seen this show, but aren't the characters all
    > aliens originally from a more advanced world? Why would they be impressed
    > by our 'primitive' DVD technology?

    [Kirsten Johnson] "Wait, you can have a picture *inside* another
    picture?...MY GOD, THE AGE WE LIVE IN!! @_@ "

    (And don't throw your Third Rocks at me, junior; we fans have been using
    that for years to gloat at old historical views of "pointless" DVD
    players that nobody bought in 1997, and smugging gleefully over
    parallels of their day...)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Dec 27, 2007