    telling sfc to retry looking for the x64 Edition CD. Why come Windows
    couldn't keep track of where it was at as sfc ran? No big deal, I'm just
    curious.

    M. Murcek, Apr 6, 2006

  2. M. Murcek

    Rick Guest

    There are a multitude of reasons as to how .DLL's may get corrupted. So
    that cannot be answered without a debugger running, and know exactly
    what is going on at the time.

    As for the CD drive, when you install Windows it assigns drive letters
    and keeps the letter of the install CD drive in the registry. Usually
    the inability to find the CD is due to someone changing the drive letter
    in the Management Console. You can edit the registry to point to the
    current CD drive letter.

    Rick, Apr 6, 2006

  3. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    Thanks Rick. I figured the dll question was a "Who knows? Could be
    anything." Once sfc was told once where the CD was, it seems odd that it
    kept looking to the registry, rather than to whatever was cached as the
    program ran, but hey, there it is.

    Again, Thanks.

    M. Murcek, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Hello,
    It does a lookup for each filename, so each file that is replaced looks to
    find where the source should be ( layout.inf is what it looks at to find
    where the file came from ( service pack or install CD)). Based on that it
    looks for the location specified in the registry for that filename. That
    is why if you have installed a servicepack for instance you may be prompted
    for the service pack cd instead of the OS cd. You have to modify the
    registry to change the behavior of the where SFC looks for files.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "M. Murcek" <>
    <Subject: Re: Just ran sfc...
    <Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:27:14 -0400
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Thanks Rick. I figured the dll question was a "Who knows? Could be
    <anything." Once sfc was told once where the CD was, it seems odd that it
    <kept looking to the registry, rather than to whatever was cached as the
    <program ran, but hey, there it is.
    <
    <Again, Thanks.
    <
    <
    <"Rick" <> wrote in message
    <> There are a multitude of reasons as to how .DLL's may get corrupted. So
    <> that cannot be answered without a debugger running, and know exactly
    what
    <> is going on at the time.
    <>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 6, 2006
  5. One of the first things I do on a "fresh" system is re-assign the CD/DVD
    drive to "R:". And then go in and change each and every reference to D: (or
    whatever it was) in the registry to point to the new location. Now as I
    add/remove drives, I don't have to worry about what drive letter the CD is
    on - it's always at the same location on every machine. Makes life simpler.

    But what I really, really, want is "regsed" -- a stream editor for the
    registry. It would make my life so much easier.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 7, 2006
  6. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    Darrell and Charlie, thanks for the good info and recommendations.

    M. Murcek, Apr 7, 2006