Just passed OS

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Fred the Ferret, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. Score of 859, so I'm pretty happy at the moment.

    What a bizarre experience though.. Definitely harder than Core, and far fewer
    practice-exam questions turned up, maybe only seven or eight out of 100. Most
    questions were on xp or win2k: and there were some on printers too! (But not
    ones I felt too confident about, no "print out a test page from your HP
    Printer" ;-) ).

    The first five questions were really hard and I thought I was onto a pasting,
    but it did lighten up a bit. But no, CompTIA, I have no idea (until I looked it
    up later) what command line utility I should use to list 'Access Control
    Lists.' Nor how to access Event Viewer on a remote computer :-( Maybe these and
    a couple of other stinkers were beta questions?

    Justice reasserted itself: after being bamboozled by OS questions on the
    Hardware exam, this time I had a handful of hardware questions!! Luckily I
    think I got the Q correct about what to do if the fan on a PSU fails :)

    Odder still, at least three of the questions repeated themselves. In one case,
    word for word ???!

    And again, the beta-testing of cuddly-telephone support questions varied from
    the fairly sensible to the ridiculous:

    Q.101 What is the best way to respond to a caller who has been kept waiting in
    a queue for 15 minutes, and is frustrated by the time they reach you?

    a. Laugh hysterically and throw the phone out of the window.
    b. Take their address and promise to send a technician, but really book them a
    grim-o-gram
    c. Keep them talking for another fifteen minutes and then hang up mid-sentence
    d. Apologise and do your job....

    One that still puzzles me: what happens if you want to upgrade nt4 to win2000
    and begin setup using nt4 boot disks, but with the win2000 installation disk in
    the cd-drive?

    Ah well, onto the N+ course....

    Good Luck Patty!

    Fred the Ferret, Jul 28, 2006

  2. Fred the Ferret

    Patty Guest

    On 28 Jul 2006 16:12:58 -0000, Fred the Ferret wrote:

    > Score of 859, so I'm pretty happy at the moment.

    Good score! Congratulations! Woohoo!

    > What a bizarre experience though.. Definitely harder than Core, and far fewer
    > practice-exam questions turned up, maybe only seven or eight out of 100. Most
    > questions were on xp or win2k: and there were some on printers too! (But not
    > ones I felt too confident about, no "print out a test page from your HP
    > Printer" ;-) ).

    Too bad that most of the practice exams contain a lot of questions for 9x
    still. All my Mike Meyers stuff does.

    > The first five questions were really hard and I thought I was onto a pasting,
    > but it did lighten up a bit. But no, CompTIA, I have no idea (until I looked it
    > up later) what command line utility I should use to list 'Access Control
    > Lists.' Nor how to access Event Viewer on a remote computer :-( Maybe these and
    > a couple of other stinkers were beta questions?

    Hmmm. Don't remember coming up with this in my readings. I'll have to
    check further.

    > Justice reasserted itself: after being bamboozled by OS questions on the
    > Hardware exam, this time I had a handful of hardware questions!! Luckily I
    > think I got the Q correct about what to do if the fan on a PSU fails :)

    Shut down the system and swap out the fan? What else are you going to do?
    The system will probably overheat quickly and shut itself down.

    > Odder still, at least three of the questions repeated themselves. In one case,
    > word for word ???!
    >
    > And again, the beta-testing of cuddly-telephone support questions varied from
    > the fairly sensible to the ridiculous:
    >
    > Q.101 What is the best way to respond to a caller who has been kept waiting in
    > a queue for 15 minutes, and is frustrated by the time they reach you?
    >
    > a. Laugh hysterically and throw the phone out of the window.
    > b. Take their address and promise to send a technician, but really book them a
    > grim-o-gram
    > c. Keep them talking for another fifteen minutes and then hang up mid-sentence
    > d. Apologise and do your job....

    I like a and b. *vbg*

    > One that still puzzles me: what happens if you want to upgrade nt4 to win2000
    > and begin setup using nt4 boot disks, but with the win2000 installation disk in
    > the cd-drive?

    Isn't that like doing a clean install with an upgrade? You can do that, if
    you have the OS disk to prove you had the previous version.

    > Ah well, onto the N+ course....
    >
    > Good Luck Patty!

    Thanks. I guess I'd better study harder, although my hardware test was
    much easier than yours was. Perhaps my OS won't be so bad and I'll get
    through it ok in a couple weeks.

    Patty

    Patty, Jul 28, 2006

  3. On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:01:30 -0400
    Patty <> wrote:

    > On 28 Jul 2006 16:12:58 -0000, Fred the Ferret wrote:
    >
    > > Score of 859, so I'm pretty happy at the moment.

    > Good score! Congratulations! Woohoo!
    >
    > > What a bizarre experience though.. Definitely harder than Core, and far fewer
    > > practice-exam questions turned up, maybe only seven or eight out of 100. Most
    > > questions were on xp or win2k: and there were some on printers too! (But not
    > > ones I felt too confident about, no "print out a test page from your HP
    > > Printer" ;-) ).

    > Too bad that most of the practice exams contain a lot of questions for 9x
    > still. All my Mike Meyers stuff does.

    Yeah, you definitely need to memorise all those XP routes to find
    utilities/control panel/ admin tools etc. Interestingly, all the routes via
    control panel were via the 'classic' rather than the new xp 'category'
    arrangements. Don't know if that is everyone's experience though.

    > > Justice reasserted itself: after being bamboozled by OS questions on the
    > > Hardware exam, this time I had a handful of hardware questions!! Luckily I
    > > think I got the Q correct about what to do if the fan on a PSU fails :)

    > Shut down the system and swap out the fan?

    Ooops: guess again Patty....

    > > Good Luck Patty!

    > Thanks. I guess I'd better study harder, although my hardware test was
    > much easier than yours was. Perhaps my OS won't be so bad and I'll get
    > through it ok in a couple weeks.

    One route you don't see on many practice exams that came up a few times: right
    click 'My Computer' -> 'Manage' -> ??

    Now I've said all that you'll probably get nothing but 9x questions!

    Fred the Ferret, Jul 28, 2006
  4. Fred the Ferret

    Patty Guest

    On 28 Jul 2006 18:41:46 -0000, Fred the Ferret wrote:

    > Yeah, you definitely need to memorise all those XP routes to find
    > utilities/control panel/ admin tools etc. Interestingly, all the routes via
    > control panel were via the 'classic' rather than the new xp 'category'
    > arrangements. Don't know if that is everyone's experience though.

    Mike Meyers emphasized the "classic" view for Control Panel rather than the
    other. In fact, he even prefers the old Windows style desktop also. Guess
    I'll just stick with his videos and just skip the 9x/ME stuff on there.

    >>> Justice reasserted itself: after being bamboozled by OS questions on the
    >>> Hardware exam, this time I had a handful of hardware questions!! Luckily I
    >>> think I got the Q correct about what to do if the fan on a PSU fails :)

    >> Shut down the system and swap out the fan?

    > Ooops: guess again Patty....

    The correct answer is probably back up important data first! ;) Oh, I'm
    sorry I read that wrong. I was thinking CPU fan not PSU fan. Duh, you swap
    out the power supply. You don't try to fix it.

    >>> Good Luck Patty!

    >> Thanks. I guess I'd better study harder, although my hardware test was
    >> much easier than yours was. Perhaps my OS won't be so bad and I'll get
    >> through it ok in a couple weeks.
    >>

    > One route you don't see on many practice exams that came up a few times: right
    > click 'My Computer' -> 'Manage' -> ??

    That's how I get to Computer Management all the time. I hardly ever go
    through Control Panel. In fact, I right click on My Computer to get to the
    System Properties as well. Shorter than going through Control Panel.

    > Now I've said all that you'll probably get nothing but 9x questions!

    Yeah, that'll be just my luck. I'm thinking that my testing place must have
    older stuff than you do since I had none of the experience with the beta
    and touchy feely customer things that you have.

    Patty
    sweating for the next two weeks and not just because of the heat!

    Patty, Jul 28, 2006
  5. Fred the Ferret

    Patty Guest

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:21:05 GMT, Dave Hardenbrook wrote:

    > k wrote:
    >> I had alot of the same idiotic questions on my exam yesterday as well as a
    >> lot of WINME questions. Comptia needs there heads examined if they feel this
    >> is still relavent.

    > I suppose it's a debatable point -- I have clients still on Win98, and
    > one who's on "legacy" Win98 (i.e. not even 98 SE)!

    I'm still running a Win98SE system, but only because it uses a DOS (yes
    folks, that's DOS) program on it. It runs best on 98SE than it does on
    2000 or XP. Why do I still use it? It's an accounting program that I use
    to manage my checkbook and bills and it's simple, easy to use and not so
    glitzied up as other Windows programs. Oh, yes, and it's all paid for,
    survived the Y2K changeover too. And, I still have checks that I can use
    to print with it. When the checks are no longer available, then I'll
    finally give it up.

    I also use a Windows ME computer from work, because that's what came on it,
    not sure if the hardware is upgradable to XP or 2000 and not sure it's
    worth the cost to do so and they also use a DOS accounting program on it as
    well. I plan to upgrade to a newer laptop soon to take advantage of some
    more extensive accounting programs.

    Patty

    Patty, Aug 11, 2006