Just Passed . . .Barely

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by McKinley Morganfield, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. I just got home from taking the 270 test. I feel like I've had the crap
    beat out of me (mentally) by 4-5 MS thugs. I used all the time allotted.
    I finished the 58 questions with 20 minutes left to review. I actually
    changed 2 answers ( I was guessing anyway).

    The test was heavily weighted toward Enterprise Level support. Questions
    on IIS, Intranet setup and security. Group Policy administration from
    server to client. Remote Login via RAS and VPN. There were a few
    installation questions but not as many as expected. 20 questions into
    the test I thought the testing center goofed up and I was taking the 290
    test. About 30 questions in, while looking at a question that I had no
    clue what the answer was, I accepted the fact that I was bombing big
    time. I continued on and finished hoping I could figure out what my
    weaknesses were for a re-take.

    I finished and lo and behold it said something to the effect “You have
    completed the test. A score of 700 is needed to pass. Your score : 700”.
    Talk about the “skin of my teeth”. I used the Sybex book and thought it
    was good material and was confident that I knew consistently 90-95% of
    the material. I feel it no way prepared me for this test. The book may
    be good, but I feel for the 290 test, I may need something else. Any
    suggestions on this would be appreciated.

    I know a pass is a pass. For some reason I'm more relieved than excited.
    McKinley Morganfield, Mar 20, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. << While I was at work, McKinley Morganfield spurted out:
    <<------------------------------------------>>
    > I just got home from taking the 270 test. I feel like I've had the
    > crap beat out of me (mentally) by 4-5 MS thugs.
    >

    That's nothing....wait til you've had 4-5 MCNGP Thugs beat the cr@p out of you
    (mentally)

    Congrats!!!
    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    MCNGP Sb (Antimony)
    -- You can't have it...it's *mine*
    Bigus Di©kus, Mar 20, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Congratulations on the pass McKinley! If you think that was hard then try
    70-216 (I do not remember the equivalent 2003 exam). Wow.

    To prepare for exams my philosophy is that no single resource is reliable
    enough. Try a combination of a couple, such as the Sybari book with a
    Microsoft Press book (which comes with some great Readiness Review samples!).
    As well a good helping of product experience is always necessary. Like you
    said, a pass is a pass... but the next one might be that much harder.

    Good luck and let us know how it goes!

    M
    --
    MDG, MCSA


    "McKinley Morganfield" wrote:

    > I just got home from taking the 270 test. I feel like I've had the crap
    > beat out of me (mentally) by 4-5 MS thugs. I used all the time allotted.
    > I finished the 58 questions with 20 minutes left to review. I actually
    > changed 2 answers ( I was guessing anyway).
    >
    > The test was heavily weighted toward Enterprise Level support. Questions
    > on IIS, Intranet setup and security. Group Policy administration from
    > server to client. Remote Login via RAS and VPN. There were a few
    > installation questions but not as many as expected. 20 questions into
    > the test I thought the testing center goofed up and I was taking the 290
    > test. About 30 questions in, while looking at a question that I had no
    > clue what the answer was, I accepted the fact that I was bombing big
    > time. I continued on and finished hoping I could figure out what my
    > weaknesses were for a re-take.
    >
    > I finished and lo and behold it said something to the effect “You have
    > completed the test. A score of 700 is needed to pass. Your score : 700â€.
    > Talk about the “skin of my teethâ€. I used the Sybex book and thought it
    > was good material and was confident that I knew consistently 90-95% of
    > the material. I feel it no way prepared me for this test. The book may
    > be good, but I feel for the 290 test, I may need something else. Any
    > suggestions on this would be appreciated.
    >
    > I know a pass is a pass. For some reason I'm more relieved than excited.
    >
    Montreal MCSA, Mar 21, 2006
    #3
  4. McKinley Morganfield

    Chay Guest

    Congratulations on passsing the test.

    I agree it's best practice to have more than one source used for exam
    preparation.
    Classroom, MS-Press (self paced trainingkit) and experience in the field
    works for me.

    Using a few different sources, like Microsoft course and sybex, might get
    confusing beacase of different approaches towards the items being discussed.

    Gr.,
    Chay!

    "McKinley Morganfield" wrote:

    > I just got home from taking the 270 test. I feel like I've had the crap
    > beat out of me (mentally) by 4-5 MS thugs. I used all the time allotted.
    > I finished the 58 questions with 20 minutes left to review. I actually
    > changed 2 answers ( I was guessing anyway).
    >
    > The test was heavily weighted toward Enterprise Level support. Questions
    > on IIS, Intranet setup and security. Group Policy administration from
    > server to client. Remote Login via RAS and VPN. There were a few
    > installation questions but not as many as expected. 20 questions into
    > the test I thought the testing center goofed up and I was taking the 290
    > test. About 30 questions in, while looking at a question that I had no
    > clue what the answer was, I accepted the fact that I was bombing big
    > time. I continued on and finished hoping I could figure out what my
    > weaknesses were for a re-take.
    >
    > I finished and lo and behold it said something to the effect “You have
    > completed the test. A score of 700 is needed to pass. Your score : 700â€.
    > Talk about the “skin of my teethâ€. I used the Sybex book and thought it
    > was good material and was confident that I knew consistently 90-95% of
    > the material. I feel it no way prepared me for this test. The book may
    > be good, but I feel for the 290 test, I may need something else. Any
    > suggestions on this would be appreciated.
    >
    > I know a pass is a pass. For some reason I'm more relieved than excited.
    >
    Chay, Mar 21, 2006
    #4
  5. Chay wrote:
    > Congratulations on passsing the test.
    >
    > I agree it's best practice to have more than one source used for exam
    > preparation.
    > Classroom, MS-Press (self paced trainingkit) and experience in the field
    > works for me.
    >
    > Using a few different sources, like Microsoft course and sybex, might get
    > confusing beacase of different approaches towards the items being discussed.
    >
    > Gr.,
    > Chay!
    >
    > "McKinley Morganfield" wrote:
    >
    >> I just got home from taking the 270 test. I feel like I've had the crap
    >> beat out of me (mentally) by 4-5 MS thugs. I used all the time allotted.
    >> I finished the 58 questions with 20 minutes left to review. I actually
    >> changed 2 answers ( I was guessing anyway).
    >>
    >> The test was heavily weighted toward Enterprise Level support. Questions
    >> on IIS, Intranet setup and security. Group Policy administration from
    >> server to client. Remote Login via RAS and VPN. There were a few
    >> installation questions but not as many as expected. 20 questions into
    >> the test I thought the testing center goofed up and I was taking the 290
    >> test. About 30 questions in, while looking at a question that I had no
    >> clue what the answer was, I accepted the fact that I was bombing big
    >> time. I continued on and finished hoping I could figure out what my
    >> weaknesses were for a re-take.
    >>
    >> I finished and lo and behold it said something to the effect “You have
    >> completed the test. A score of 700 is needed to pass. Your score : 700â€.
    >> Talk about the “skin of my teethâ€. I used the Sybex book and thought it
    >> was good material and was confident that I knew consistently 90-95% of
    >> the material. I feel it no way prepared me for this test. The book may
    >> be good, but I feel for the 290 test, I may need something else. Any
    >> suggestions on this would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> I know a pass is a pass. For some reason I'm more relieved than excited.
    >>

    I agree with what both of you say. I am looking at nerdbooks.com for a
    MS press 290 book now. I will use both, take my time and take the test
    in august
    McKinley Morganfield, Mar 22, 2006
    #5
  6. McKinley Morganfield

    Julia B Guest

    Congratulations!

    I took this exam on March 6 and passed. Your experience sounds almost
    identical to mine. I couldn't believe how drained I felt once it was over.
    I was pretty confident as I went to take the exam but then during the exam I
    didn't think I was going to pass. I was so relieved when the Congratulations
    screen came up telling me what the score needed to pass was and what my score
    was.

    I'm studying for 290 now. I plan to use multiple sources. I want to be
    more prepared this time. I'd like to take it towards the end of May or in
    June.


    "McKinley Morganfield" wrote:

    > I just got home from taking the 270 test. I feel like I've had the crap
    > beat out of me (mentally) by 4-5 MS thugs. I used all the time allotted.
    > I finished the 58 questions with 20 minutes left to review. I actually
    > changed 2 answers ( I was guessing anyway).
    >
    > The test was heavily weighted toward Enterprise Level support. Questions
    > on IIS, Intranet setup and security. Group Policy administration from
    > server to client. Remote Login via RAS and VPN. There were a few
    > installation questions but not as many as expected. 20 questions into
    > the test I thought the testing center goofed up and I was taking the 290
    > test. About 30 questions in, while looking at a question that I had no
    > clue what the answer was, I accepted the fact that I was bombing big
    > time. I continued on and finished hoping I could figure out what my
    > weaknesses were for a re-take.
    >
    > I finished and lo and behold it said something to the effect “You have
    > completed the test. A score of 700 is needed to pass. Your score : 700â€.
    > Talk about the “skin of my teethâ€. I used the Sybex book and thought it
    > was good material and was confident that I knew consistently 90-95% of
    > the material. I feel it no way prepared me for this test. The book may
    > be good, but I feel for the 290 test, I may need something else. Any
    > suggestions on this would be appreciated.
    >
    > I know a pass is a pass. For some reason I'm more relieved than excited.
    >
    Julia B, Mar 26, 2006
    #6
  7. McKinley Morganfield

    Ross Houlton Guest

    I had 3 weeks to study for that, had to do it so the company I worked for
    kept their partnership program, can't remember my score. Nailed it pretty
    well though. I'd say experience in the field counts for more than all the
    reading resources available.

    "Julia B" wrote:

    > Congratulations!
    >
    > I took this exam on March 6 and passed. Your experience sounds almost
    > identical to mine. I couldn't believe how drained I felt once it was over.
    > I was pretty confident as I went to take the exam but then during the exam I
    > didn't think I was going to pass. I was so relieved when the Congratulations
    > screen came up telling me what the score needed to pass was and what my score
    > was.
    >
    > I'm studying for 290 now. I plan to use multiple sources. I want to be
    > more prepared this time. I'd like to take it towards the end of May or in
    > June.
    >
    >
    > "McKinley Morganfield" wrote:
    >
    > > I just got home from taking the 270 test. I feel like I've had the crap
    > > beat out of me (mentally) by 4-5 MS thugs. I used all the time allotted.
    > > I finished the 58 questions with 20 minutes left to review. I actually
    > > changed 2 answers ( I was guessing anyway).
    > >
    > > The test was heavily weighted toward Enterprise Level support. Questions
    > > on IIS, Intranet setup and security. Group Policy administration from
    > > server to client. Remote Login via RAS and VPN. There were a few
    > > installation questions but not as many as expected. 20 questions into
    > > the test I thought the testing center goofed up and I was taking the 290
    > > test. About 30 questions in, while looking at a question that I had no
    > > clue what the answer was, I accepted the fact that I was bombing big
    > > time. I continued on and finished hoping I could figure out what my
    > > weaknesses were for a re-take.
    > >
    > > I finished and lo and behold it said something to the effect “You have
    > > completed the test. A score of 700 is needed to pass. Your score : 700â€.
    > > Talk about the “skin of my teethâ€. I used the Sybex book and thought it
    > > was good material and was confident that I knew consistently 90-95% of
    > > the material. I feel it no way prepared me for this test. The book may
    > > be good, but I feel for the 290 test, I may need something else. Any
    > > suggestions on this would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > I know a pass is a pass. For some reason I'm more relieved than excited.
    > >
    Ross Houlton, Mar 27, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Thund3rstruck

    Re: Do I need to struggle to barely survive?

    Thund3rstruck, Nov 11, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    369
    Thund3rstruck
    Nov 11, 2003
  2. Au79

    FIREFOX barely affected by spyware

    Au79, Feb 14, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    401
    Fuzzy Logic
    Feb 14, 2006
  3. Replies:
    7
    Views:
    363
  4. molsonexpert

    Re: Passed 70-290....Barely

    molsonexpert, Mar 14, 2005, in forum: MCSA
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    363
    Michael
    Mar 17, 2005
  5. dreamer

    Passed,,, barely!

    dreamer, Feb 9, 2004, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    291
    dreamer
    Feb 10, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page