Just passed A+...

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by DaveL, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. DaveL

    DaveL Guest

    ....and here are my after-thoughts.

    When I signed up on the Prometric website I had the choice of adaptive or
    linear. I chose adaptive because everybody I knew took it that way. When I
    got there the test was linear. 80 questions for each test with an hour and
    half each.

    How did I do?

    Each test has a scaled score betten 100 and 900. Passing scores are 467 for
    the core and 469 for the OS.

    My scores: Core- 900 OS- 804

    I was thrilled when I saw I had aced the core test. The OS test was harder.
    It test on all MS OS'es from DOS on up. Yeah, that's right. NT and XP too!
    I did not expect this. The books I used did not cover those. Well first
    you have to understand that I have been studying very hard with two books,
    first the Sybex and then the Meyers, for two months. I think the Meyers was
    a better book but not perfect.

    Any way, I feel pretty good right now and thought I would brag a little.

    Dave

    DaveL, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Congrats!!! Excellent score!!!
    Regards: René from Denmark
    (A+)

    René Nielsen, Sep 18, 2003

  3. DaveL

    Gary Kendall Guest

    Congrats

    Gary

    --
    www.compute-it.net

    Gary Kendall, Sep 18, 2003
  4. DaveL

    bpyle Guest

    Gary Kendall <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Congrats
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > DaveL wrote:
    > >
    > > ...and here are my after-thoughts.
    > >
    > > When I signed up on the Prometric website I had the choice of adaptive or
    > > linear. I chose adaptive because everybody I knew took it that way. When I
    > > got there the test was linear. 80 questions for each test with an hour and
    > > half each.
    > >
    > > How did I do?
    > >
    > > Each test has a scaled score betten 100 and 900. Passing scores are 467 for
    > > the core and 469 for the OS.
    > >
    > > My scores: Core- 900 OS- 804
    > >
    > > I was thrilled when I saw I had aced the core test. The OS test was harder.
    > > It test on all MS OS'es from DOS on up. Yeah, that's right. NT and XP too!
    > > I did not expect this. The books I used did not cover those. Well first
    > > you have to understand that I have been studying very hard with two books,
    > > first the Sybex and then the Meyers, for two months. I think the Meyers was
    > > a better book but not perfect.
    > >
    > > Any way, I feel pretty good right now and thought I would brag a little.
    > >
    > > Dave

    I recently took the new linear core exam and passed with a 656. I'm
    new to IT and decided to give A+ a try after reading a few books. I
    also have a few years of personal experience with building computers
    but i've never been employeed in the industry. Although this was
    considered a fairly good score, I seriously thought I was going to
    fail the exam. Many of the questions were more difficult than I
    expected. This almost makes me feel that the A+ exam is a joke and
    leaves a lot of room for error and will still pass you. Even though
    the questions were a little harder than I expected, I felt that the
    exam left me with more room for error than I expected making the exam
    easier to pass than I expected. I'm curious is this revision is easier
    than the adaptive format.

    bpyle, Sep 19, 2003
  5. DaveL

    Brian Guest

    Nice job on the scores, I just passed the Core part with a 771. (I was
    surprised when I found out about the linear exam as well) I'm hoping
    to get the OS test scheduled for Tuesday.

    Brian, Sep 19, 2003
  6. DaveL

    DaveL Guest

    I forgot to mention that the OS test even mentioned 2000 Server and 2000
    Data Center. It totally blew me away. This may have been one of the
    non-graded questions that Prometric is testing for the new 2003 upgrade.

    One other thing, and this has nothing to do with Prometric but the Heald
    testing center. They had the video set to 60 hz refresh. By the time I
    finished both tests I had a severe headache. I mentioned it to the test
    administrator afterward but she didn't know what I was talking about.

    Dave

    DaveL, Sep 19, 2003
  7. DaveL

    DaveL Guest

    I heard the linear format is harder and gives a more accurate assessment of
    knowledge. But don't sweat it. Like you said, they leave a lot of room for
    error. It looks like you can miss more than half the questions and still
    pass.

    Dave

    DaveL, Sep 19, 2003
  8. DaveL

    bpyle Guest

    "DaveL" <> wrote in message
    > I heard the linear format is harder and gives a more accurate assessment of
    > knowledge. But don't sweat it. Like you said, they leave a lot of room for
    > error. It looks like you can miss more than half the questions and still
    > pass.

    Are all of the questions on the new linear format scored equally or
    will certain questions effect your score more than others? If all
    questions on the A+ test are equal and the minimim passing score is
    467 and a few points more for the OS exam, then you could pass it
    answering less than half of the questions correctly since a score of
    500 would be 50%. Most questions on the exam are multiple choice with
    4 options, that gives you a 25% chance of guessing the questions
    correctly blindly guessing. A good test taker with very little
    knowledge could achieve a passing score in this case. I think they
    need to increase the passing score on the test by at least another 100
    points.

    bpyle, Sep 20, 2003
  9. DaveL

    Brian Guest

    The scores are from 100-900, so 450 would be 50% of the possible points.

    Brian, Sep 20, 2003
  10. On 20 Sep 2003 01:15:48 -0700, (bpyle) wrote:

    >"DaveL" <> wrote in message
    >> I heard the linear format is harder and gives a more accurate assessment of
    >> knowledge. But don't sweat it. Like you said, they leave a lot of room for
    >> error. It looks like you can miss more than half the questions and still
    >> pass.
    >>

    >Are all of the questions on the new linear format scored equally or
    >will certain questions effect your score more than others?

    The word "linear" would imply that, but I don't know for sure.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 20, 2003