Just passed A+ Core

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by jeff, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    I thought some of you who are studying for it might find my experience
    helpful.

    First, the test: I had heard nightmare stories about poorly put
    together pictures or diagrams. I had no visuals of any kind. Just 80
    multiple choice questions. With a few exceptions they were fairly easy
    to understand, I remember maybe one that was confusing. I finished the
    test in little under an hour(2 hour limit). Either you know the
    material or you don't. There is the option of going back and forth
    and you can even mark questions for review before you finalize the
    test.
    I will second those that claim the books didn't cover some questions.
    I've read multiple A+ books, took several hardware classes and studied
    obsessively. There were a few that simply were not covered in any book
    I read, but that is the exception not the rule. One other observation.
    The test didn't seem very 'techie' to me. I don't recall the amount of
    troubleshooting questions I'd anticipated. Some of the questions
    seemed to fall into computer trivial pursuit.
    One weird thing, I got the softball 'why does the floppy light stay
    on' question twice(in two different ways) but I also got a few
    questions that would make Bill Gates' head spin.
    Aside from the comprhensive A+ books/manuals, I also read/practically
    memorized the A+ for Dummies book (seemed appropriate) which I found
    helpful because it just came out and is current for this test. It was
    a good revue book but I wouldn't depend upon it for everything.
    Note, I was told that AMD cpu questions were not on this test, WRONG!

    My background: I have an associates degree in micro-computer
    technology, recently graduated but have never worked in the IT field.
    Obviously the education was a giant factor for someone without
    experience. So you can pass it without living it but it requires a lot
    of reading.
    My suggestion: read, read, read and memorize. Google yourself to every
    free test site.

    jeff, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Well done, Jeff.

    Everything you say here was the same for me.

    Good luck with the OS if you've still to do it - I (and others) found it a
    little tougher.

    JM
    --
    JonathanMiles at uk2 dot net

    "jeff" <> wrote in message
    > I thought some of you who are studying for it might find my experience
    > helpful.
    >
    > First, the test: I had heard nightmare stories about poorly put
    > together pictures or diagrams. I had no visuals of any kind. Just 80
    > multiple choice questions. With a few exceptions they were fairly easy
    > to understand, I remember maybe one that was confusing. I finished the
    > test in little under an hour(2 hour limit). Either you know the
    > material or you don't. There is the option of going back and forth
    > and you can even mark questions for review before you finalize the
    > test.
    > I will second those that claim the books didn't cover some questions.
    > I've read multiple A+ books, took several hardware classes and studied
    > obsessively. There were a few that simply were not covered in any book
    > I read, but that is the exception not the rule. One other observation.
    > The test didn't seem very 'techie' to me. I don't recall the amount of
    > troubleshooting questions I'd anticipated. Some of the questions
    > seemed to fall into computer trivial pursuit.
    > One weird thing, I got the softball 'why does the floppy light stay
    > on' question twice(in two different ways) but I also got a few
    > questions that would make Bill Gates' head spin.
    > Aside from the comprhensive A+ books/manuals, I also read/practically
    > memorized the A+ for Dummies book (seemed appropriate) which I found
    > helpful because it just came out and is current for this test. It was
    > a good revue book but I wouldn't depend upon it for everything.
    > Note, I was told that AMD cpu questions were not on this test, WRONG!
    >
    > My background: I have an associates degree in micro-computer
    > technology, recently graduated but have never worked in the IT field.
    > Obviously the education was a giant factor for someone without
    > experience. So you can pass it without living it but it requires a lot
    > of reading.
    > My suggestion: read, read, read and memorize. Google yourself to every
    > free test site.

    ---

    Jonathan Miles, Feb 12, 2004

  3. jeff

    jeff Guest

    "I just finished the Core exam. Missed 2 questions."

    Are you sure you took this same test? I haven't heard of anyone
    finding out how many they missed, only a score which seems a mystery
    to figure out.

    jeff, Feb 13, 2004
  4. My experience is similar to your, Jeff. I just passed my A+ core test
    yesterday.
    Part of the materials given to me by the test proctor included a calculator,
    which
    started me to worrying, but I had no use for it. Likewise there were no
    diagrams
    just 80 m/c questions. Though I was as nervous as a snowman in July, my
    questions
    were pleasantly "Untechnical" also. It took me just under an hour to finish.

    I passed with a score of 630 (515 is required) but there was no way of
    knowing
    how many or which questions I missed. I was a bit disappointed at my score
    as I
    figured that 630 out of a possible 900 meant that I missed almost a third of
    them.
    Under the old guidelines that would have failed me as I believe you had to
    get 80%
    correct?? I don't know.

    And though I studied Preplogic (A+ course) book, Mike Meyer's 3rd ed book
    and
    an excellent Exam Cram book (latest ed), I still came across about three
    questions
    that I've never heard of relating to printing and SCSI. Most of the test was
    basic,
    common sense, and real world logic.

    All I can say to folks is to study, study and then study some more. And also
    get as
    much hands on exp as you can.It really helps.

    --
    David Bland

    David BlandIII, Feb 14, 2004
  5. jeff

    jeff Guest

    Though I was as nervous as a snowman in July, my
    questions
    were pleasantly "Untechnical"

    Hee hee, no more than me. I wouldn't worry about the score. I think
    some of us are relating the points to percentages and I wouldn't
    assume thats how it works. I recieved a low score too and know that I
    didn't miss that many, I mean some of this stuff I actually knew ;).
    I find it interesting that you got a calculator, all I got was a dry
    erase board.(what good is a calculator?)
    The Dummies book I read said that if you miss every question you still
    get 100 points, so that throws everything out even more. Plus, its
    hard to compare scores because none of us actually take the same test.
    I don't think anything is harder than pushing that 'end test' button.
    It's like 'this means 145 bucks and weeks of study' if it doesn't go
    over.

    jeff, Feb 14, 2004
  6. YUP! :)

    --
    David Bland

    David BlandIII, Feb 14, 2004
  7. jeff

    Travis Guest

    On 2004-02-14 12:01:59 -0500, "David BlandIII" <> said:

    > YUP! :)

    i just passed my test the other day as well, has anyone heard of
    getting the same question over and over? i got this question on my
    test, and while im sure i got it right it does seem unfair.

    Which of the folliowing are E-Mail protocols? (select 2)

    a. POP3
    b. IMAP
    c. Telnet
    d. SMTP

    while i did pick POP3 and SMTP as they are the more popular protocols,
    as far as i know IMAP is one too. i passed with a 564, i didnt do as
    well as i had hoped because the Instructor at my tech school didnt
    provide us with updated materials untill about 2 weeks before the test.
    (the text book we got is Charles J. Brooks A+ 4th Edition Exams 220-201
    & 220-222) and because i was really nervous. =| but i passed, so its
    all good. :)

    Travis, Feb 15, 2004
  8. You are correct Sir! :)

    --
    David Bland

    David BlandIII, Feb 15, 2004
  9. jeff

    Rick Rottman Guest

    "David BlandIII" <> wrote:

    >Part of the materials given to me by the test proctor included a calculator,
    >which started me to worrying, but I had no use for it.

    Well that is good to know. I have been wondering about the
    possibility having to convert a 9 digit hex number sans calculator.
    The prospect seemed spooky. It is nice to know that I will be able to
    use a calculator.

    - Rick

    Needs More Cow Bell

    Rick Rottman, Feb 15, 2004
  10. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:16:15 -0500, Rick Rottman
    <> wrote:

    >"David BlandIII" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Part of the materials given to me by the test proctor included a calculator,
    >>which started me to worrying, but I had no use for it.

    >Well that is good to know. I have been wondering about the
    >possibility having to convert a 9 digit hex number sans calculator.
    >The prospect seemed spooky. It is nice to know that I will be able to
    >use a calculator.
    >
    >- Rick
    >
    >Needs More Cow Bell

    Converting hex to decimal can be a chore, but hex to binary is simple
    as can be...each hex digit is a 4-character binary number.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 15, 2004