Just Orcon or all UBS?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month (my
    "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is 4 days!

    On the 16th...

    Shit! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my session
    had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!! What a balls-up of
    a page.

    Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12 times
    starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that has been
    going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about 8 times instead
    of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had about 60 connections this
    month. That's two a day average!! For an "Always on" service?

    Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of UBS?

    BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy user.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2005

  2. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=-, Sep 22, 2005

  3. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month (my
    > "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is 4 days!
    >
    > On the 16th...

    Same here, but hey, I had a connection for 11 days back in August. On
    the bright side, IP addresses aren't changing :)

    > Shit! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my session
    > had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!! What a balls-up of
    > a page.
    >
    > Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12 times
    > starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that has been
    > going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about 8 times instead
    > of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had about 60 connections this
    > month. That's two a day average!! For an "Always on" service?

    Maybe they should be charging per connection. On the 16th I was
    reconnected about 6 times, ranging from early morning to late afternoon.

    > Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of UBS?

    Looks the same here on Orcon. I doubt it has anything to do with usage,
    maybe Seeby will update us as to the situation.

    -=rjh=-, Sep 22, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    Chris Hope Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month (my
    > "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is 4
    > days!
    >
    > On the 16th...
    >
    > Shit! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my
    > session had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!! What
    > a balls-up of a page.
    >
    > Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12
    > times starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that
    > has been going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about 8
    > times instead of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had about
    > 60 connections this month. That's two a day average!! For an "Always
    > on" service?
    >
    > Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of
    > UBS?
    >
    > BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy
    > user.

    I've only been disconnected from IHUG very rarely. There's no usage page
    for me to look at (I'm on a unlimited plan) but I know when it goes
    offline, and can check my server login history for IP address changes
    to see when the disconnection happens (I get a different IP address
    after each connection).

    Interestingly I've lost my connection 3 times today but was online
    without disruption prior to that since the 1st of August.

    Chris Hope, Sep 22, 2005
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month
    >> (my "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is
    >> 4 days! On the 16th...

    > Same here, but hey, I had a connection for 11 days back in August. On
    > the bright side, IP addresses aren't changing :)

    Woot! 11days! You lucky sod.

    So what if IP's aren't changing? It's not like you could run even a
    semi-reliable 'server' on this connection.

    >> Shit! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my
    >> session had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!!
    >> What a balls-up of a page.
    >>
    >> Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12
    >> times starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that
    >> has been going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about
    >> 8 times instead of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had
    >> about 60 connections this month. That's two a day average!! For an
    >> "Always on" service?

    > Maybe they should be charging per connection. On the 16th I was
    > reconnected about 6 times, ranging from early morning to late
    > afternoon.
    >>
    >> Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of
    >> UBS?

    > Looks the same here on Orcon. I doubt it has anything to do with
    > usage, maybe Seeby will update us as to the situation.
    >

    >> BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy
    >> user.

    Funny thing; I hit 'send' on this then checked my email and saw I was SETI
    user of the day for today. Went to go to the SETI site for a squizz and
    couldn't get there. Looked at my router and saw the ADSL light was orange
    instead of green. I rang Orcon's helldesk (or tried to) five times in the
    next ten minutes, got an engaged signal every time. Had to resort to
    watching TV for a while. <shudder>

    I've just signed up for Orcon tolls. They sure as hell better run that
    better than they do their UBS. Can you imagine having your phone down for
    hours on end or at random times as well? I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom
    of that move now.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2005
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month
    >> (my "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is 4
    >> days!
    >>
    >> On the 16th...
    >>
    >> Shit! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my
    >> session had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!!
    >> What a balls-up of a page.
    >>
    >> Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12
    >> times starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that
    >> has been going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about
    >> 8 times instead of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had
    >> about 60 connections this month. That's two a day average!! For an
    >> "Always on" service?
    >>
    >> Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of
    >> UBS?
    >>
    >> BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy
    >> user.

    > I've only been disconnected from IHUG very rarely. There's no usage
    > page for me to look at (I'm on a unlimited plan) but I know when it
    > goes offline, and can check my server login history for IP address
    > changes to see when the disconnection happens (I get a different IP
    > address after each connection).

    Ok. Is that UBS? I guess all ADSL plans (except Xtra's) are now huh?

    > Interestingly I've lost my connection 3 times today but was online
    > without disruption prior to that since the 1st of August.

    Wow! That's a good track-record. Yeah, I didn't even know about the
    disconnects this morning when I checked the Orcon site. I was looking to see
    about my ordered change-over to 2MB and Orcon tolls. I ordered it over a
    week ago and the guy said something about tolls would change over in a day
    or so and ADSL on my anniversary, that it would be confirmed by email. I
    haven't got any email and my anniversary is tomorrow so I was just checking
    their site to see if I could find anything out. (I couldn't). That's when I
    noticed all the 5-7am outages for the month. I didn't look at previous
    months, maybe I should.

    As it satnds I don't know if I'm on Orcon tolls or Telecom. Pretty rat-shit
    of Orcon not to let me know what's going on I think.

    I may have to give them a call, hope I don't get the engaged signal again.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2005
  7. ~misfit~

    Stu Fleming Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > So what if IP's aren't changing? It's not like you could run even a
    > semi-reliable 'server' on this connection.

    What's the quoted availability of the connection?

    Stu Fleming, Sep 22, 2005
  8. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:47:53 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Wow! That's a good track-record. Yeah, I didn't even know about the
    >disconnects this morning when I checked the Orcon site. I was looking to see
    >about my ordered change-over to 2MB and Orcon tolls. I ordered it over a
    >week ago and the guy said something about tolls would change over in a day
    >or so and ADSL on my anniversary, that it would be confirmed by email. I
    >haven't got any email and my anniversary is tomorrow so I was just checking
    >their site to see if I could find anything out. (I couldn't). That's when I
    >noticed all the 5-7am outages for the month. I didn't look at previous
    >months, maybe I should.

    Check what your modem says, perhaps it's just the Orcon logging that's
    incorrect.

    I'm on ihug. My last disconnection was 3 days ago, but then there was no power
    here (snow in Chrischurch city took the power out in this suburb). Before that I
    think it remained connected since I switched over on the 1st of September

    Craig Shore, Sep 22, 2005
  9. ~misfit~

    Chris Hope Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    [snip]

    >> I've only been disconnected from IHUG very rarely. There's no usage
    >> page for me to look at (I'm on a unlimited plan) but I know when it
    >> goes offline, and can check my server login history for IP address
    >> changes to see when the disconnection happens (I get a different IP
    >> address after each connection).

    > Ok. Is that UBS? I guess all ADSL plans (except Xtra's) are now huh?

    Yep.

    >> Interestingly I've lost my connection 3 times today but was online
    >> without disruption prior to that since the 1st of August.

    > Wow! That's a good track-record. Yeah, I didn't even know about the
    > disconnects this morning when I checked the Orcon site.

    I can track my disconnects because I'm permanantly logged into my server
    online (apart from when I get disconneted!), so I can see when I was
    cut off using the `last` command. I can't go back beyond July 5th as
    that's when I replaced the server, so my previous disconnect was at
    some point before then.

    [snip]

    Chris Hope, Sep 22, 2005
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> So what if IP's aren't changing? It's not like you could run even a
    >> semi-reliable 'server' on this connection.

    > What's the quoted availability of the connection?

    Really hard to say. It's not specifically mentioned in the T&C so I guess
    that means whatever they want to give me. The only things that are slightly
    relevant are:

    "4.2 Our service does not cover: Problems in your computer, communication
    equipment, your software (except for software provided by us) your phone
    line or any other part of the Internet not forming part of our network. In
    addition to this you are not covered if you use the service incorrectly or
    due to any other event beyond our reasonable control."

    and:

    "6. Speed of Services
    6.1 You acknowledge that any claims made about speed of service are best
    effort peaks and not guarantees. Speed claims are line speeds only and no
    guarantees are made for national and international traffic, or any
    particular type of traffic.
    6.2 Latency is not guaranteed, but should remain below 1000ms one-way across
    the line only. There are no jitter guarantees."

    The whole thing is at:

    http://orcon.net.nz/help/terms/42800/

    In their general terms:

    http://orcon.net.nz/help/terms/general/

    There is this:

    "3.4. Except as specifically outlined herein, we make no warranties or
    conditions, express or implied, including the implied warranties or
    conditions of merchantability, quality and fitness for a particular purpose
    relating to our service or the service of any other service provider.
    Further we disclaim any liability or responsibility arising from any claim
    that your access or use of the service or any other provider's service or
    products infringes any third party's intellectual property rights."

    So basically they're saying that they aren't guaranteeing that the
    connection will be usable for anything?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2005
  11. ~misfit~

    Stu Fleming Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Stu Fleming wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >>>So what if IP's aren't changing? It's not like you could run even a
    >>>semi-reliable 'server' on this connection.

    >>What's the quoted availability of the connection?

    > Really hard to say. It's not specifically mentioned in the T&C so I guess
    > that means whatever they want to give me. The only things that are slightly
    > relevant are:

    Yup.

    > "3.4. Except as specifically outlined herein, we make no warranties or
    > conditions, express or implied, including the implied warranties or
    > conditions of merchantability, quality and fitness for a particular purpose
    > relating to our service or the service of any other service provider.
    > Further we disclaim any liability or responsibility arising from any claim
    > that your access or use of the service or any other provider's service or
    > products infringes any third party's intellectual property rights."

    3.4 is a standard disclaimer (that may or may not stand up in court -
    ask a lawyer - but does help with (Orcon's) indemnity insurance costs).

    > So basically they're saying that they aren't guaranteeing that the
    > connection will be usable for anything?

    Pretty much. There is no guarantee on the connection. They could
    switch it on/off twice a day from now till Christmas and still be within
    terms.

    If you want to run a reliable server operation, you need to look at
    managed server options (co-location) or a provider that will quote you
    availability (e.g. 99.9%). No consumer product exists in NZ that will
    give you that for unbundled DSL (both Telstra and Telecom quote
    "Internet best effort" for service grade which is around 99.3% monthly.

    99.3% monthly corresponds to 5 hours a month of downtime. I'd be
    horrified if that was my commercial level of service (Mr Poole will tell
    you how to get 100% uptime and so will rackspace.com). Of course, it
    varies - I monitor 7 systems on TelstraClear DSL which regularly get
    99.9%+ availability. But if you need a guarantee, fibre or frame-relay
    or anything other than ADSL with a quoted service availability is what
    you need.

    There's a very interesting document here with some comparisons:
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/binarys/appendix 2 (public).pdf

    Stu Fleming, Sep 22, 2005
  12. I have just Orcon and I also have the same problems of being
    disconnected on a regular basis

    It can be quiet frustrating

    I should have stayed with my usual ISP

    kevin cosgrove, Sep 22, 2005
  13. ~misfit~

    Mutlley Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month (my
    >"anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is 4 days!
    >
    >On the 16th...
    >
    >Shit! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my session
    >had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!! What a balls-up of
    >a page.
    >
    >Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12 times
    >starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that has been
    >going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about 8 times instead
    >of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had about 60 connections this
    >month. That's two a day average!! For an "Always on" service?
    >
    >Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of UBS?
    >
    >BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy user.

    Not with Orcon. I stay connected for days however I have noticed that
    the usage meter only updates when the router is reset.. Do not seem
    dynamic..

    Mutlley, Sep 22, 2005
  14. ~misfit~

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Stu Fleming wrote:

    >>>What's the quoted availability of the connection?

    >> Really hard to say. It's not specifically mentioned in the T&C so I guess
    >> that means whatever they want to give me. The only things that are
    >> slightly relevant are:

    > Yup.
    >
    >> "3.4. Except as specifically outlined herein, we make no warranties or
    >> conditions, express or implied, including the implied warranties or
    >> conditions of merchantability, quality and fitness for a particular
    >> purpose relating to our service or the service of any other service
    >> provider. Further we disclaim any liability or responsibility arising
    >> from any claim that your access or use of the service or any other
    >> provider's service or products infringes any third party's intellectual
    >> property rights."

    > 3.4 is a standard disclaimer (that may or may not stand up in court - ask
    > a lawyer - but does help with (Orcon's) indemnity insurance costs).

    Yea thats true...they are basically contracting them self out of any legal
    obligations under NZ laws, which most if all laws have a clause where it
    says, you can not contract out of this act.

    Krazy Bob, Sep 22, 2005
  15. ~misfit~

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month (my
    > "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is 4 days!
    >
    > On the 16th...
    >
    > Shit! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my
    > session had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!! What a
    > balls-up of a page.
    >
    > Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12 times
    > starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that has been
    > going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about 8 times
    > instead of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had about 60
    > connections this month. That's two a day average!! For an "Always on"
    > service?
    >
    > Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of UBS?
    >
    > BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy user.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Poor ~misfit~ im on xtra and only get disconnected about once or twice a
    week if that :p

    Krazy Bob, Sep 22, 2005
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month
    >> (my "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is
    >> 4 days! On the 16th...
    >>
    >> Shit! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my
    >> session had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!!
    >> What a balls-up of a page.
    >>
    >> Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12
    >> times starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that
    >> has been going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about
    >> 8 times instead of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had
    >> about 60 connections this month. That's two a day average!! For an
    >> "Always on" service?
    >>
    >> Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of
    >> UBS? BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy
    >> user. --
    >> ~misfit~

    > Poor ~misfit~ im on xtra and only get disconnected about once or
    > twice a week if that :p

    What's the matter with you? Don't you have any sense of decency or fairness?
    You're giving money directly to Xtra/Telecom? It's people like you who are
    to blame for the current situation!

    ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2005
  17. ~misfit~

    Adam Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:38:49 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12 times
    >starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that has been
    >going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about 8 times instead
    >of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had about 60 connections this
    >month. That's two a day average!! For an "Always on" service?
    >
    >Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of UBS?

    I'm with Maxnet ... and hardly ever got disconnected when on
    Jetstream. Seriously - the connection woiuld stay up for weeks at a
    time.

    Since being *forced* to get UBS, I've found the quality of the service
    deteriorating. In the last couple of weeks, I've been disconnected at
    least a dozen times. I'm at the point of logging a call to Maxnet
    (whose support has always been very good) but I thought I'd wait a
    little to see what happens - and I'm manually logging the disconnects
    from now on.

    From a (cheaper) Jetsream, I've now "upgraded" to a more expensive
    system that has introduced lag, frequent outages and disconnects ..
    [sigh]. Think I'll go back to dial-up!

    Adam.

    Adam, Sep 23, 2005
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:38:49 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12
    >> times starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that
    >> has been going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about
    >> 8 times instead of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had
    >> about 60 connections this month. That's two a day average!! For an
    >> "Always on" service?
    >>
    >> Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of
    >> UBS?

    > I'm with Maxnet ... and hardly ever got disconnected when on
    > Jetstream. Seriously - the connection woiuld stay up for weeks at a
    > time.
    >
    > Since being *forced* to get UBS, I've found the quality of the service
    > deteriorating. In the last couple of weeks, I've been disconnected at
    > least a dozen times. I'm at the point of logging a call to Maxnet
    > (whose support has always been very good) but I thought I'd wait a
    > little to see what happens - and I'm manually logging the disconnects
    > from now on.
    >
    > From a (cheaper) Jetsream, I've now "upgraded" to a more expensive
    > system that has introduced lag, frequent outages and disconnects ..
    > [sigh]. Think I'll go back to dial-up!

    I've seriously considered the same thing myself, then writing to the
    Commerce Commision and my MP and explaining why.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2005
  19. As per my previous post - we have had a few small issues recently, but I
    very much doubt that the reason you haven't been able to connect for more
    than 4 days is only because of us.
    If you are further away from the exchange, then your DSL router may
    certainly be disconnected and re-connected from the Telecom DSLAMs more than
    normal.
    I live very close to an exchange, and I've been booted off a total of 3
    times this month (issues that we would be responsible for)

    Cheers
    Seeby

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Sep 24, 2005
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

    Hi Seeby, thanks for the reply.

    > As per my previous post - we have had a few small issues recently,
    > but I very much doubt that the reason you haven't been able to
    > connect for more than 4 days is only because of us.

    Oh, I've been able to connect for more than four days. Just not in the last
    month as far as I can recall. (Actually, just re-checked, there was one
    period where I was connected for over a week, my apologies. It was hard to
    see when I had to scroll through the usage page so much) When I was using
    Jetstream and Xtra dial-up I managed to stay connected for whole months at a
    time. (When I had dial-up it's all I used my land-line for. I was impressed
    with Xtra, I could go a whole month without being disconnected).

    > If you are further away from the exchange, then your DSL router may
    > certainly be disconnected and re-connected from the Telecom DSLAMs
    > more than normal.

    No, I'm very close to the exchange. As I said, with Jetstream I was more
    than happy with the up-time periods.

    > I live very close to an exchange, and I've been booted off a total of
    > 3 times this month (issues that we would be responsible for)

    I've replied to that post.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~