Just one more reason Movie companies will be pushing HD DVD in the fall.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/15/macrovision_ripguard/

    Macrovision to tout lock-down DVD tech
    By Tony Smith (tony.smith at theregister.co.uk)
    Published Tuesday 15th February 2005 12:25 GMT

    Update Anti-rip software company Macrovision will today claim it can
    prevent almost all attempts to copy movie DVDs on a PC.

    The new technology, dubbed RipGuard DVD, prevents ripper software from
    working. It isn't fully effective, Macrovision admits, but with a
    claimed effectiveness rate of 97 per cent, the technique should act as
    a major disincentive for casual copiers, the company believes.
    Click Here

    Unsurprisingly, Macrovision is cautious about giving too much away,
    but the company did indicate that RipGuard is integrated into the disc
    itself rather than software installed automatically when a protected
    disc if first used in a PC.

    The company's CD copy-protection system, CDS 300, introduces noise
    into the audio data in an attempt to fool PC CD drives but leave
    consumer CD players, with their complex error correction technology,
    unaffected. RipGuard may use a similar approach, but as Macrovision
    found with CDS, there is resistance among some user groups to such a
    system because of concerns that the technique reduces disc longevity.

    Since it's already coping with CDS-inserted errors in the data, the
    argument runs, any player's error correction system will have less
    headroom to deal with errors arising from scratches and dirt on the
    disc's surface. In other words, the disc can take fewer knocks and
    bumps before becoming unplayable.

    That's even more true of DVDs, which are inherently less robust than
    CDs, and will be considerably more so for upcoming digital video disc
    formats such as HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, because they cram even more
    data into the medium.

    Macrovision has said it's deprecating the use of such techniques
    within CDS in favour of software-based anti-copy solutions. But
    RipGuard does not use embedded player software. According to
    Macrovision, it uses a "format-based Unique Digital Framework to each
    protected DVD5 or DVD9 title", allowing protected discs to continue to
    work in consumer DVD players and legitimate computer-based DVD
    playback applications.

    Whatever tricks the company uses, it's likely to gain strong support
    from the movie industry, which has been hurting ever since its Content
    Scrambling System (CSS), the encryption system developed to protect
    DVD content, was broken earlier this decade.

    Adam Gervin, senior marketing director with Macrovision's
    entertainment technologies group, cited
    (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1764945,00.asp) by
    ExtremeTech, told consumers to look for Motion Picture Ass. of America
    (MPAA) members to adopt "complete DVD protection" this year as studios
    incorporate both RipGuard and Macrovision's established analog
    copy-protection systems.

    RipGuard DVD is available today in "select replication facilities",
    with general availability expected in Q2, Macrovision said.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Allan

    Robin Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message

    > Whatever tricks the company uses, it's likely to gain
    > strong support
    > from the movie industry, which has been hurting ever since
    > its Content
    > Scrambling System (CSS), the encryption system developed
    > to protect
    > DVD content, was broken earlier this decade.

    Wasn't that accomplished in the 90's?
    Robin, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 2/15/2005 1:05:54 PM, Allan wrote:

    > Whatever tricks the company uses, it's likely to gain strong support
    > from the movie industry, which has been hurting ever since its Content
    > Scrambling System (CSS), the encryption system developed to protect
    > DVD content, was broken earlier this decade.

    Yes, the movie industry is expected to go bankrupt any day now.
    --
    "Ah. The searing kiss of hot lead; how I missed you.
    I mean, I think I'm dying."

    Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"
    Tarkus, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Robin wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:44:01 GMT]:

    > "Allan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Whatever tricks the company uses, it's likely to gain
    >> strong support
    >> from the movie industry, which has been hurting ever since
    >> its Content
    >> Scrambling System (CSS), the encryption system developed
    >> to protect
    >> DVD content, was broken earlier this decade.
    >>

    > Wasn't that accomplished in the 90's?

    99 I believe
    Justin, Feb 16, 2005
  5. Allan

    Baked Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:05:54 -0500, Allan <>
    wrote:

    >RipGuard DVD is available today in "select replication facilities",
    >with general availability expected in Q2, Macrovision said.

    Already defeated in DVD Decrypter 3.5.2.0.
    Baked, Feb 17, 2005