    wondering, is there a one-stop book that I can study from for the exam?
    >From what i've seen most people recommend more than one book...

    Thanks

    , Nov 17, 2005

  2. Cerebrus99 Guest

    Hi,

    I'm studying for the same exam on the way to my MCSD. I have been able
    to find only one book which directly deals with the exam, and that is :
    "MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Implementing Security for
    Applications with
    Microsft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET" BY Tony
    Northrup.
    (MS Press).

    Microsoft also recommends that you read the book "Writing Secure Code
    BY Michael Howard, David LeBlanc.--2nd ed."(MS Press)
    (Make sure that you get the 2nd edition only, since the 1st edition
    hardly has any material on .NET applications.)

    The latter book is of a more generalized nature and doesn't deal with
    the exam as such. It concentrates more on Best practices for Secure
    coding. Chapter 18 in this book will probably be where the real stuff
    that concerns you for this exam will be found.

    For most exams, I have consulted more than one book, but for this one,
    there is definitely a scarcity of good books out there. Please let me
    know if you find any other books relevant for this exam.

    Hope this helps...

    Regards,

    Ayoosh J.
    MCP, MCAD.

    Cerebrus99, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Mok Guest

    Ok thanks. That's really odd. I guess I've been fortunate then. For the
    other exams I only studied from one book.. Although Microsoft
    recommends,"Writing Secure Code
    BY Michael Howard, David LeBlanc.--2nd ed." is it a good book and just
    how relevant is it towards the exam? Is it one of those books where I
    will pay a lot for it and just use 1 chapter?

    Marc

    Mok, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Cerebrus99 Guest

    Hi Mok,

    As I said "Writing Secure Code" is a general book. It's not very
    relevant to this particular exam. It is targeted towards changing the
    mindset of developers in general, so they start writing code with
    security features, pitfalls and possible vulnerabilities in mind. Most
    of the book gives examples in C++ and deals with vulnerabilities when
    programming in earlier languages.

    The .NET Framework, however, has been created to circumvent most of the
    problems, and provides effective methods to minimize other
    vulnerabilities.

    So, If you want to dive into preparations for the exam, go for the
    first book(Self-paced training kit). If you have all the time in the
    world (!!), only then read this one.

    As for the cost of the book, I'm not sure, since I borrowed it from a
    friend.

    Regards,

    Ayoosh J.
    MCP, MCAD.

    Cerebrus99, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Mok Guest

    Thanks a lot. I actually ordered both. Even though "Writing Secure
    Code" is a general book, I figure I'll just read it on my own time. At
    the very least i'll be more knowledgeable on the topic. Thanks for you
    time.

    Marc

    Mok, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Cerebrus99 Guest

    You're most welcome, Marc. And best of luck for the exam... ;)

    Cerebrus99, Nov 24, 2005