    server from which I am then barred because it is not listed as a trusted
    zone - and so on 'ad infinitum'.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 22, 2008

  2. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    While you try to solve your problem, you may want alternate sites for
    downloading Avast like:

    http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?cdlPid=10852750

    or

    http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 22, 2008

  3. While you're playing with Windows Server 2008, make sure you give Terminal
    Services RemoteApps a trial run. I think this, along with the built in
    Hyper-V, of course, is THE killer must have feature in Windows Server 2008.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 22, 2008
  4. The Avast site provides a few external links and the result was much the
    same - I was thinking, since most Vista people here seem to treat (what I
    tend to see as a straight-jacket) the security measures just gently
    grumbling, that my own personal browser management procedures would need
    some adjustment?

    I do NOT like IE any more - will FF help at all with this matter, or will I
    end up hating that too? I know some of the (mis)functionality can simply be
    turned off, and that it is not recommended to do so. If this isn't having
    any kind of bonus, or niceties at all ( something you will actually come to
    like) then having an Internet connection, surely, will be completely
    useless, and an utter waste?

    There's a high threshold for me to climb, I know, but I will need to downlod
    a few things like my AV and Video drivers and stuff before I can start
    making the neccessary adjustments, in effect ripping out well seated spinal
    reactions, I expect!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 22, 2008
  5. Ah - this is the good old machine that I used to test XP x64 (socket 939!)
    so Hyper-V is out of the question, as I understand. If I end up loving the
    system like I have XP x64, I intend to buy a license and move it on to the
    AM2 system and that should certainly make it one of the major items of
    interest.

    The 'TSRA' stuff, honestly, I can't even imagine what I would use it for -
    I'll look it over if I can find any descriptive 'writty' about it.
    Everything I do happens right here at my desktop(s) and I cannot begin to
    imagine what it would give me that I cannot do right now by sliding over to
    the next machine, or that a dual core CPU couldn't do multi-tasking.

    And I half-way know you will surprise me now, Charlie!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 22, 2008
  6. O.K. - I must excuse myself - I was very tired and I shut myself down and
    went to bed. Now the AV and the nVidia drivers are both up and I'm rummaging
    the drawers for my HP Monitor install disk to try and squeeze a bit more
    resolution out of this thing.

    It's not half bad, really! But I can see, I need a new machine for this.
    Socket 939 paired with 1GB RAM and AGP will soon be ruining the party,
    although booting reveals a great deal of power!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 23, 2008
  7. Ahem!

    It turns out, Avast home Edition is not supported on Server OS's. I
    should've expected this - oh well, I was contemplating buying the Pro anyhow
    so I'll take this as a good excuse to foot a small bill.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 23, 2008
  8. TS RemoteApps is a great solution, even in a small office. For example, here
    we run Office 2003 locally, and both of us are hard core Word 2003 users.
    Neither of us wants to move to Word 2007 any time soon, if ever. But the
    other Office apps we'd prefer to run Office 2k7 most of the time. So, I set
    up TS RemoteApps and I run Word locally, and Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
    2k7 remotely. But they all look and feel like they're running locally. All
    documents are stored on the main SBS server anyway, so that's not an issue,
    and the drive mappings are all the same so there's transparency. If I want
    to switch to my laptop and work out on the back deck on a nice sunny day
    here in paradise, I have exactly the same experience as if I were at my
    desk. And with SBS 2008, when I'm on the road I will have direct access to
    my TS RemoteApps from Remote Web Workplace exactly as if I were in the
    office. With a link to them on the RWW landing page. (I could set this up in
    RWW for SBS 2003, but haven't bothered since we'll be migrating to SBS 2008
    with the next RC drop.)

    The only thing I haven't been able to do yet (and I'm working on it), is to
    run both Office 2k3 and Office 2k7 from the TS. If I can manage that, I'll
    remove office from my local machines entirely. Leave it on the laptop for
    when I'm on the road and have connectivity issues, but otherwise work
    entirely from the TS RemoteApps.

    You can even set up TS RemoteApps to "capture" the extensions on a machine.
    So, for example, you could double click on a .DOC file and it would
    automatically launch the TS RemoteApp version of Word.

    (on hyper-v, and your 939's - sadly, you are correct. No hyper-v there. I'm
    in the same position with a couple of boxes. )

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 23, 2008
  9. AGP shouldn't be an issue, but the 1 GB is going to be a bit tight. I'm
    running it on my Opteron 185 with an ATI 1650 (AGP) card and 3 GB of RAM and
    it's quite happy. No hyper-v on this box, of course, but otherwise quite
    nice.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 23, 2008
  10. I have to say: that sounds pretty neat. Particularly, if you could have
    resource heavy app's execute on a powerfull machine and have it appear with
    little effort of a much wimpier thing, like a laptop? But, of course, they
    would all have to run the same OS, I suppose?

    The way I live at the moment, however, it wouldn't be all-together practical
    for me. But I will need to get something resonably serious to do before I
    retire, and needs change all of the time - I appreciate this, Charlie - I
    have most of the machinery all ready, I just got to come up with ways to get
    it all activated all at once!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 23, 2008
  11. Yup, makes my old toshiba M-200 have the power of a 6 GB, 4 core,
    virtualized Server. And by offloading a lot of resource intensive stuff, the
    other things I do on the toshiba run much better.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 23, 2008
  12. Well, I am actually quite moved into agreeing - AGP isn't bad at all, but
    there also isn't much 'elbowroom' for the future, it seems.

    I have contemplated 'upping' the RAM on two of the machines. There is a bit
    of a dilemma, though. The one that probably will benefit more from memory is
    the one with the fastest and most expensive chips (2 GB DDR2 800Mhz - CL
    4.0) if I fill up the slots, I most likely will have to lower the speed
    setting - in which case I could have bought much cheaper memory in the first
    place!

    The other box (the 939, with the Server OS) have DDR 400 CL2.0 Memory) and
    filling up the slots and throttling down wouldn't hurt as much but with DDR,
    memory prices haven't fallen as much (if at all?) so where should I go for 3
    GB and will any one of them really benefit from 4 GB? My need and usage
    seems modest, but as someone here suggested in a different thread - the
    present-day systems are treating the memory pool more as a system cache than
    they used to and so more is always a good thing!

    I'll probably go for 3 GB on both machines - it will be a substantial
    upgrade and I doubt if any one of them would be expected to [seem to be
    wanting] any more than that?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 24, 2008
  13. 3 GB is a good machine for normal use. That's what I've got on my daily
    workstation. Yeah, sometimes I wish for a bit more. But it's a S939, so I'm
    not going to get more, realistically. So, until I'm ready to spend the $$
    for a whole new environment, this will just have to do.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 24, 2008
  14. Thanks, Charlie - that should save me a few bucks, and with a bit of luck
    some hairs too, perhaps?

    Tony. . .

    > 3 GB is a good machine for normal use. That's what I've got on my daily
    > workstation. Yeah, sometimes I wish for a bit more. But it's a S939, so

    I'm
    > not going to get more, realistically. So, until I'm ready to spend the $$
    > for a whole new environment, this will just have to do.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >

    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Well, I am actually quite moved into agreeing - AGP isn't bad at all,

    but
    > > there also isn't much 'elbowroom' for the future, it seems.
    > >
    > > I have contemplated 'upping' the RAM on two of the machines. There is a
    > > bit
    > > of a dilemma, though. The one that probably will benefit more from

    memory
    > > is
    > > the one with the fastest and most expensive chips (2 GB DDR2 800Mhz - CL
    > > 4.0) if I fill up the slots, I most likely will have to lower the speed
    > > setting - in which case I could have bought much cheaper memory in the
    > > first
    > > place!
    > >
    > > The other box (the 939, with the Server OS) have DDR 400 CL2.0 Memory)

    and
    > > filling up the slots and throttling down wouldn't hurt as much but with
    > > DDR,
    > > memory prices haven't fallen as much (if at all?) so where should I go

    for
    > > 3
    > > GB and will any one of them really benefit from 4 GB? My need and usage
    > > seems modest, but as someone here suggested in a different thread - the
    > > present-day systems are treating the memory pool more as a system cache
    > > than
    > > they used to and so more is always a good thing!
    > >
    > > I'll probably go for 3 GB on both machines - it will be a substantial
    > > upgrade and I doubt if any one of them would be expected to [seem to be
    > > wanting] any more than that?
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Jun 24, 2008
  15. Charlie, I have to ask you a quickie, I am in the process of connecting my
    wireless to the Notebook (it has Linux on it) Now, SuSe comes with it's own
    version of Remote Desktop, will that be directly supported by any Windows
    version? And if it is, will that require a twisted cable, NFS or NetBios on
    either or both ends?

    I was about to set up the normal shares when I fell over these alternatives,
    I am quite happy if I can just print from the notebook and have i-net access
    wherever I happen to sit with it, but if I have some extra functionality at
    hand, I wouldn't mind investigating the possibilities.

    I assume it will not be supported by RemoteApps, since we were on that
    subject?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 27, 2008
  16. Tony -
    Don't have familiarity with SuSe's Remote Desktop. If it does RDP and
    does at least RDP5, then it should allow basic functionality to Server 2k8,
    if you turn off the verification requirement. But RemoteApps requires at
    least RDP6 and preferably RDP 6.1.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2008
  17. That is excellent. I'll know what to look for, and if I think I can use it I
    shall crack it too!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 28, 2008