    That is some serious power for audio... PSU's are going to have their
    work cut out having something like that, latest graphics card or 2 in
    SLI and also a power hungry cpu...

    Nova, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Nova

    shannon Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/
    >
    > Anyone else read about the new x-fi sound card from creative?
    > I read a review on tomshardware and they raved about how good it was...
    >
    > It sure packs some power..
    >
    > "Imagine having the power of a second 3.4GHz processor (more than
    > 10,000MIPS) built into your PC that was dedicated just to audio! That's
    > enough additional power to process more than 10 Billion instructions per
    > second! With X-Fi that's exactly what you get! "
    >
    > That is some serious power for audio... PSU's are going to have their
    > work cut out having something like that, latest graphics card or 2 in
    > SLI and also a power hungry cpu...

    Will it work with a VIA chipset this time ?

    shannon, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Nova

    thingy Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/
    >
    > Anyone else read about the new x-fi sound card from creative?
    > I read a review on tomshardware and they raved about how good it was...
    >
    > It sure packs some power..
    >
    > "Imagine having the power of a second 3.4GHz processor (more than
    > 10,000MIPS) built into your PC that was dedicated just to audio! That's
    > enough additional power to process more than 10 Billion instructions per
    > second! With X-Fi that's exactly what you get! "
    >
    > That is some serious power for audio... PSU's are going to have their
    > work cut out having something like that, latest graphics card or 2 in
    > SLI and also a power hungry cpu...

    Lets not confuse power with power consumption, or quality.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Nova

    Nova Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/
    >>
    >> Anyone else read about the new x-fi sound card from creative?
    >> I read a review on tomshardware and they raved about how good it was...
    >>
    >> It sure packs some power..
    >>
    >> "Imagine having the power of a second 3.4GHz processor (more than
    >> 10,000MIPS) built into your PC that was dedicated just to audio!
    >> That's enough additional power to process more than 10 Billion
    >> instructions per second! With X-Fi that's exactly what you get! "
    >>
    >> That is some serious power for audio... PSU's are going to have their
    >> work cut out having something like that, latest graphics card or 2 in
    >> SLI and also a power hungry cpu...

    > Lets not confuse power with power consumption, or quality.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I'm not, I read some reviews. :) every review site I have read has
    raved about the quality of it and this is apparently due to the extra
    "power" on it being able to process extra things that it was unable to
    do before.

    As for its actual power requirements it is true they might not be more,
    but I was just looking at the trends of CPU's, GPU's in that usually
    whne you get a power increase you also get a power consumption increase.
    That is of course genrally there are dips now and then when they start
    a manufacturing with new technology.

    "It has more than 51 million transistors, and is capable of 10,000+
    MIPS. The Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity audio processor is 24 times more
    powerful than its predecessor"

    As a part time gamer and music lover it certainly looks good to me.

    Nova, Aug 13, 2005
  5. Nova

    shannon Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Nova wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else read about the new x-fi sound card from creative?
    >>> I read a review on tomshardware and they raved about how good it was...
    >>>
    >>> It sure packs some power..
    >>>
    >>> "Imagine having the power of a second 3.4GHz processor (more than
    >>> 10,000MIPS) built into your PC that was dedicated just to audio!
    >>> That's enough additional power to process more than 10 Billion
    >>> instructions per second! With X-Fi that's exactly what you get! "
    >>>
    >>> That is some serious power for audio... PSU's are going to have their
    >>> work cut out having something like that, latest graphics card or 2 in
    >>> SLI and also a power hungry cpu...

    >> Lets not confuse power with power consumption, or quality.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > I'm not, I read some reviews. :) every review site I have read has
    > raved about the quality of it and this is apparently due to the extra
    > "power" on it being able to process extra things that it was unable to
    > do before.
    >
    > As for its actual power requirements it is true they might not be more,
    > but I was just looking at the trends of CPU's, GPU's in that usually
    > whne you get a power increase you also get a power consumption increase.
    > That is of course genrally there are dips now and then when they start
    > a manufacturing with new technology.
    >
    > "It has more than 51 million transistors, and is capable of 10,000+
    > MIPS. The Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity audio processor is 24 times more
    > powerful than its predecessor"
    >
    > As a part time gamer and music lover it certainly looks good to me.

    It will be interesting to see what useful software gets written to
    utilize the hardware.
    Perhaps they could team up with Steinberg or Cakewalk or Avid.
    The software bundles with previous Creative cards have been underwhelming.
    Perhaps something like the kx project
    http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/shots.php?language=en

    shannon, Aug 13, 2005
  6. Nova

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:11:54 +1200, Nova wrote:

    > "It has more than 51 million transistors, and is capable of 10,000+
    > MIPS. The Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity audio processor is 24 times more
    > powerful than its predecessor"

    And to think that mp3 only keeps 10% of the wave file.

    Law of diminishing returns I would say. ;-)

    Gordon, Aug 13, 2005