Just how up-to-date are the exams?

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Red13x, Oct 2, 2007.

  1. Red13x

    Red13x Guest

    Hi,

    I have been looking to no avail for the answer to my question: just how
    up-to-date are the Microsoft exams?

    I am currently studying for the 70-290 exam, so I am still a baby with my
    qualification, and although I have used most of the tools I need to study,
    there are a few which I have never heard of. For example, I have never used
    MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser), but I am having to learn how to
    use it for my exam etc.

    The study book I am using is Sybex 70-290 R2 and is fairly up-to-date as it
    was released in 2005 and contains SP1 info. The problem is, the info it gives
    me for the MBSA CMD lines do not work on the up-to-date MBSA tool, which has
    many new commands.

    Which is most likely to appear in the exams? The one I am studying from my
    book or the one that is newest to Microsoft?

    If the exams are updated after every related software release, does this
    mean I need to look more at WSUS 2.0 rather than SUS 1.0 and will this now
    include the new features of 2003 SP2?!

    I am very confused. Thankfully I have good working knowledge of both
    versions of SUS and the OS SPs, but for software like MBSA that I have never
    used before, I am feeling somewhat discouraged - especially as I am not great
    with CMD lines as it is and will need to study these areas extra hard.

    I am looking forward to your responses, and if there is an easy link, that I
    really should have found which has this info, please let me know - I did
    search around but was clearly looking in the wrong places!
    Red13x, Oct 2, 2007

  2. Red13x

    PAJ Guest

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 07:46:04 -0700, Red13x
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have been looking to no avail for the answer to my question: just how
    >up-to-date are the Microsoft exams?
    >
    >I am currently studying for the 70-290 exam, so I am still a baby with my
    >qualification, and although I have used most of the tools I need to study,
    >there are a few which I have never heard of. For example, I have never used
    >MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser), but I am having to learn how to
    >use it for my exam etc.
    >
    >The study book I am using is Sybex 70-290 R2 and is fairly up-to-date as it
    >was released in 2005 and contains SP1 info. The problem is, the info it gives
    >me for the MBSA CMD lines do not work on the up-to-date MBSA tool, which has
    >many new commands.
    >
    >Which is most likely to appear in the exams? The one I am studying from my
    >book or the one that is newest to Microsoft?
    >
    >If the exams are updated after every related software release, does this
    >mean I need to look more at WSUS 2.0 rather than SUS 1.0 and will this now
    >include the new features of 2003 SP2?!

    Study for SP1 and WSUS. This is what is covered (no R2).

    --
    Paul
    PAJ, Oct 2, 2007

  3. PAJ is correct here. Most of the 2003 level exams have been updated to
    reflect the WSUS system and SP1 content. As of the time of this writing, I
    have yet to hear or see anyone who has encountered SP2 or R2 material.

    At the same time, you will want to be familiar with WSUS intimately,
    particularly when you get into -291 and -293 territory. If you end up going
    the security track, WSUS architecture is also touched upon in -299.

    Hope this helps!

    Free free to post here or contact me directly if you would like some more
    directed guidance.
    --
    Wayne Anderson

    Wayne Anderson, Oct 2, 2007
  4. "Wayne Anderson" <> wrote in message

    > PAJ is correct here. Most of the 2003 level exams have been updated to
    > reflect the WSUS system and SP1 content. As of the time of this writing, I
    > have yet to hear or see anyone who has encountered SP2 or R2 material.
    >
    > At the same time, you will want to be familiar with WSUS intimately,
    > particularly when you get into -291 and -293 territory. If you end up going
    > the security track, WSUS architecture is also touched upon in -299.
    >
    > Hope this helps!
    >
    > Free free to post here or contact me directly if you would like some more
    > directed guidance.
    > --
    > Wayne Anderson
    > http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea/
    >

    > "Red13x" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have been looking to no avail for the answer to my question: just how
    > > up-to-date are the Microsoft exams?
    > >
    > > I am currently studying for the 70-290 exam, so I am still a baby with my
    > > qualification, and although I have used most of the tools I need to study,
    > > there are a few which I have never heard of. For example, I have never used
    > > MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser), but I am having to learn how to
    > > use it for my exam etc.
    > >
    > > The study book I am using is Sybex 70-290 R2 and is fairly up-to-date as it
    > > was released in 2005 and contains SP1 info. The problem is, the info it gives
    > > me for the MBSA CMD lines do not work on the up-to-date MBSA tool, which has
    > > many new commands.
    > >
    > > Which is most likely to appear in the exams? The one I am studying from my
    > > book or the one that is newest to Microsoft?
    > >
    > > If the exams are updated after every related software release, does this
    > > mean I need to look more at WSUS 2.0 rather than SUS 1.0 and will this now
    > > include the new features of 2003 SP2?!
    > >
    > > I am very confused. Thankfully I have good working knowledge of both
    > > versions of SUS and the OS SPs, but for software like MBSA that I have never
    > > used before, I am feeling somewhat discouraged - especially as I am not great
    > > with CMD lines as it is and will need to study these areas extra hard.
    > >
    > > I am looking forward to your responses, and if there is an easy link, that I
    > > really should have found which has this info, please let me know - I did
    > > search around but was clearly looking in the wrong places!

    From Rob Linsky - Microsoft Certification:

    We stripped out all the content in the exams that was rendered obsolete
    by SP2 but did not seed in any content specifically for SP2. Same with
    R2 - we took out anything that was no longer valid but did not add any
    R2-specific content in. We typically handle service packs and "dot"
    releases this way as many customers take a long time to implement and/or
    use the updates.

    Hope that helps, and good luck.
    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Oct 2, 2007
  5. Red13x

    PAJ Guest

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:35:05 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
    Inc.]" <> wrote:

    >From Rob Linsky - Microsoft Certification:

    Whoever he is.

    >We stripped out all the content in the exams that was rendered obsolete
    >by SP2 but did not seed in any content specifically for SP2. Same with
    >R2 - we took out anything that was no longer valid but did not add any
    >R2-specific content in. We typically handle service packs and "dot"
    >releases this way as many customers take a long time to implement and/or
    >use the updates.

    Which is more confusing than what I wrote, unless you happen to have a
    list of all the changes since SP1.
    Easier to setup a lab with SP1 and practice with that. IMO.
    PAJ, Oct 3, 2007
  6. "PAJ" <> wrote in message

    > On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:35:05 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
    > Inc.]" <> wrote:
    >
    > >From Rob Linsky - Microsoft Certification:

    > Whoever he is.
    >
    > >We stripped out all the content in the exams that was rendered obsolete
    > >by SP2 but did not seed in any content specifically for SP2. Same with
    > >R2 - we took out anything that was no longer valid but did not add any
    > >R2-specific content in. We typically handle service packs and "dot"
    > >releases this way as many customers take a long time to implement and/or
    > >use the updates.

    > Which is more confusing than what I wrote, unless you happen to have a
    > list of all the changes since SP1.
    > Easier to setup a lab with SP1 and practice with that. IMO.

    Rob Linsky is the Program Manager for Microsoft Certification and the
    message was pretty clear.

    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Oct 3, 2007
  7. Red13x

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:23:17 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
    Inc.]" <> wrote:

    >the message was pretty clear.

    I never said it was not clear.
    Just that it added nothing of any use.
    PAJ, Oct 3, 2007
  8. Red13x

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:33:08 -0500, catwalker63
    <> wrote:

    >PAJ <> prattled ceaselessly in
    >
    >> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:35:05 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
    >> Inc.]" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>From Rob Linsky - Microsoft Certification:

    >> Whoever he is.
    >>

    >A quick scan of google results produced this:
    >
    >http://center.spoke.com/info/p2EmNLe/RobLinsky

    Thanks.

    >Trika calls him Slinky (spollchecker joke).

    Whoever she is.
    PAJ, Oct 3, 2007
  9. Red13x

    CBIC Guest

    "PAJ" <> wrote in message

    >>Trika calls him Slinky (spollchecker joke).

    > Whoever she is.

    You're joking, right?
    CBIC, Oct 3, 2007
  10. "PAJ" <> wrote in message

    > On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:23:17 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
    > Inc.]" <> wrote:
    >
    > >the message was pretty clear.

    > I never said it was not clear.
    > Just that it added nothing of any use.

    Here's you sign:

    No SP2 or R2 specific content added. So to answer the OP, the exams are
    not as up to date as they could be. The reason being, and quoting Rob
    again, " We typically handle service packs and "dot" releases this way
    as many customers take a long time to implement and/or use the updates."

    Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Oct 3, 2007
  11. Red13x

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 14:31:26 -0500, "CBIC" <>
    wrote:

    >"PAJ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Trika calls him Slinky (spollchecker joke).

    >> Whoever she is.

    >You're joking, right?

    Yup ;)
    PAJ, Oct 3, 2007
  12. Red13x

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:36:11 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
    Inc.]" <> wrote:

    >Here's you sign:
    >
    >No SP2 or R2 specific content added. So to answer the OP, the exams are
    >not as up to date as they could be. The reason being, and quoting Rob
    >again, " We typically handle service packs and "dot" releases this way
    >as many customers take a long time to implement and/or use the updates."

    So SP1.

    Choke, Choke, Repeat.
    PAJ, Oct 3, 2007
  13. "CBIC" <> wrote in news:#qXR#PfBIHA.4568
    @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

    > You're joking, right?

    Never! This site is only for stuffed shirts.
    Red Swingline Stapler, Oct 3, 2007