Just how good are TV Tuners

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Me, Apr 14, 2005.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Me, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Me

    shannon Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Hi
    > I was looking at the range of tuners at PP...
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/TVFMTuners.php
    > Just as the guys where saying about the cheap DVD burner...
    > Is there any reason I should shell out for a more expensive TV tuner
    > card then the < $80 models?
    > eg http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsA.php?pp_id=TV00029
    >
    > seem to do everything the more expensive cards do...
    > cheers
    > John

    It depends whether you want to just watch TV or record TV
    Getting something like the pvr 150 is good idea if you want to record in
    the background.

    shannon, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Me

    Daver Guest

    At some point in the price range the encoders become hardware based as
    opposed to software which is probably desirable for recording. I had a cheap
    one which supported stereo but the decoder must have been software based so
    it wasn't that good.

    Daver, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Me

    notme Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:02:16 +1200, Me <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I was looking at the range of tuners at PP...
    >http://www.pp.co.nz/TVFMTuners.php
    >Just as the guys where saying about the cheap DVD burner...
    >Is there any reason I should shell out for a more expensive TV tuner
    >card then the < $80 models?
    >eg http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsA.php?pp_id=TV00029
    >
    >seem to do everything the more expensive cards do...
    >cheers
    >John

    I bought one about 18 months ago for $120 thinking it would be really
    useful but I've not used it as much as I thought I would because
    having it on your screen while you work on something else (surfing the
    net, typing, etc) can be quite distracting. It's great though when you
    want to keep an eye out for when a programme is about to begin, or you
    want to catch the news. It's good to be able to re-size the image
    right down and tuck it away in a corner, and that minimises the
    distraction.

    However, we all live in different circumstances (at home there is just
    me and my wife, which is different from, say, a flatting situation
    where you want to stay quietly in your room and maybe do some
    computing whilst also watching TV on the one monitor).

    My tuner has time-setting recorder and picture capture but I've never
    used them as I have a VCR anyway and recording to your hard drive can
    gobble up your free space. Teletext is nice if you don't already have
    a TV set with it. Dearer tuners will come with an FM radio tuner and
    remote. The accompanying software is usually OK, but quite basic.
    Check out ChrisTV for someting a bit more sophisticated.

    It's important to consider your antenna requirements - you will need
    an outside aerial for the card, you could install a splitter on your
    existing antenna and run a branch line to your tuner. Give some
    thought to how the antenna cable is going to reach your PC without
    becoming a hazard in the house.

    If you hook into the existing antenna that serves the rest of the TV's
    in the house you might also find that your PC radiates RFI back down
    the feedline causing interference to the conventional TV's in the
    house. Teletext can be very unforgiving if you don't have a decent
    signal coming in.

    A TV tuner card, along with the free hVCPlus software available on the
    internet, is great for decoding the encrypted Sky UHF service but if
    you want to be able to do this you have to be sure to only buy a card
    with a BT8xx chipset - if you buy the wrong card you will be up
    shit-creek with respect to decoding Sky TV.

    There are many international discussion boards on the web devoted to
    every Tuner card on the market and my final advice would be to do a
    search on the web with the name of the card you are interested in
    buying, adding in the search terms "board, discussion".

    Come back here if you get lost. Don't e-mail me as it's a fake
    address.

    notme, Apr 14, 2005
  5. Me

    Mercury Guest

    http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/tuner-comparo/index.x?pg=1

    http://www.2cpu.com/articles/113_1.html

    Mercury, Apr 14, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    notme <> wrote:

    >It's great though when you
    >want to keep an eye out for when a programme is about to begin, or you
    >want to catch the news.

    That's what the chase-play function on a DVR is for.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 16, 2005
  7. Me

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:24:30 +1200, "Daver" <> wrote:

    >At some point in the price range the encoders become hardware based as
    >opposed to software which is probably desirable for recording. I had a cheap
    >one which supported stereo but the decoder must have been software based so
    >it wasn't that good.

    That all depends on what you're doing. I have both hardware and software ones.
    Hardware is good for recording TV programs to watch later, software is better
    for recording something you want better quality on. Why I say that is when I
    use the software based one I use the audio line in from a good VCR for good
    quality audio, and record with lossless compression (sometimes I use
    uncompressed raw), then let the computer take it's time later on to do a better
    job of the compression. You also get more options on the size you want to
    record etc.
    Having said that the hardware one does a much better job of real time
    compression, and you need a lot less HD space if you're doing real time
    compression.

    Recording with uncompressed CD quality audio, lossless compressed video at VCD
    resolution uses about 20 gigs per hour.

    Craig Shore, Apr 16, 2005
  8. Me

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:24:30 +1200, "Daver" <> wrote:
    >
    >>At some point in the price range the encoders become hardware based as
    >>opposed to software which is probably desirable for recording. I had a

    cheap
    >>one which supported stereo but the decoder must have been software based

    so
    >>it wasn't that good.

    > That all depends on what you're doing. I have both hardware and software

    ones.
    > Hardware is good for recording TV programs to watch later, software is

    better
    > for recording something you want better quality on. Why I say that is

    when I
    > use the software based one I use the audio line in from a good VCR for

    good
    > quality audio, and record with lossless compression (sometimes I use
    > uncompressed raw), then let the computer take it's time later on to do a

    better
    > job of the compression. You also get more options on the size you want to
    > record etc.
    > Having said that the hardware one does a much better job of real time
    > compression, and you need a lot less HD space if you're doing real time
    > compression.
    >
    > Recording with uncompressed CD quality audio, lossless compressed video at

    VCD
    > resolution uses about 20 gigs per hour.

    What brands are you talking about?

    --