  1. How can anyone really tell if my Usenet postings are really from me or not?

    If I use a fake email address (like so many do), is there another way to
    find out one's identity (from headers, TCPIP addresses, etc.)?

    Phillip Shaver, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Phillip Shaver

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:IT_eb.37973$gv5.15439@fed1read05 "Phillip Shaver"
    <> wrote:

    > How can anyone really tell if my Usenet postings are really from me or
    > not?
    >
    > If I use a fake email address (like so many do), is there another way to
    > find out one's identity (from headers, TCPIP addresses, etc.)?

    As you're currently hooked up, someone who ->really wanted to know who you
    were would contact Cox Communications, maybe with a subpoena in hand, and
    ask who was using IP address "68.4.17.224" at "Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:20:08
    EDT".

    If you're seriously interested in posting to USENET anonymously, there are
    mail-to-news services that will do it for you. They claim to be configured
    in such a way that even the operators of the service don't know who you
    are, so there's no record to be turned over to authorities.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Oct 2, 2003

  3. No, I'm not worried about a subpoena or anything like that, just an
    obnoxious user in a very non-adult newsgroup I visit. I'm sure the CIA,
    FBI, NSA or even local PD could find anyone if they really wanted to, but my
    concerns are not nearly that important!

    Where did you get "68.4.17.224" at "Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:20:08 EDT"? Is that
    me, and if so, how does one find that?

    Phillip Shaver, Oct 2, 2003
  4. "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > In news:IT_eb.37973$gv5.15439@fed1read05 "Phillip Shaver"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > As you're currently hooked up, someone who ->really wanted to know who you
    > were would contact Cox Communications, maybe with a subpoena in hand, and
    > ask who was using IP address "68.4.17.224" at "Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:20:08
    > EDT".

    Actually, all that would show is that the message came from a particular
    connection, not who the author or sender were.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Oct 2, 2003
  5. Phillip Shaver

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Wb%eb.38023$gv5.37925@fed1read05 "Phillip Shaver"
    <> wrote:

    > No, I'm not worried about a subpoena or anything like that, just an
    > obnoxious user in a very non-adult newsgroup I visit. I'm sure the CIA,
    > FBI, NSA or even local PD could find anyone if they really wanted to,
    > but my concerns are not nearly that important!
    >
    > Where did you get "68.4.17.224" at "Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:20:08 EDT"? Is
    > that me, and if so, how does one find that?

    Yes, that's you. Every post you make via your COX.NET news server has a
    number of headers inserted by them, one of which is

    The IP address is yours; the date and time are when you made the post. The
    other stuff is probably encoded information to make it even easier for
    them to figure out which of their customers you are :)

    There's also:

    Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:41:40 -0700

    but that's redundant so long as the X-Trace header is there.

    None of that, as such, can tell a casual observer exactly who you are.

    Someone who knows how Cox names their network nodes might be able to get a
    general fix on your location, since your node name is
    ip68-4-17-224.oc.oc.cox.net, and I suspect that the "oc" part is a
    geographic designation.

    If the IP address is static (or relatively long lived) a casual observer
    can "collect" posts from that IP address and maybe form some sort of
    profile of you, but unless you reveal a lot of personal info in your
    posts, that's not too dangerous.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Oct 2, 2003
  6. Phillip Shaver

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Tc%eb.167160$ "Juan
    R. Pollo" <> wrote:

    > Actually, all that would show is that the message came from a particular
    > connection, not who the author or sender were.

    True, but once they know the owner of the account under which the
    connection was made, that's when the thumb screws come out :)

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Oct 2, 2003
  7. Thanks, Bert. How does one find these headers? I use Outlook Express for
    newsgroup access.

    Phillip Shaver, Oct 2, 2003
  8. Phillip Shaver

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "Juan R. Pollo" <> wrote:

    >"Bert Hyman" wrote:
    >> "Phillip Shaver" wrote:
    >>
    >> As you're currently hooked up, someone who ->really wanted to know who you
    >> were would contact Cox Communications, maybe with a subpoena in hand, and
    >> ask who was using IP address "68.4.17.224" at "Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:20:08
    >> EDT".

    >Actually, all that would show is that the message came from a particular
    >connection, not who the author or sender were.

    But Cox's server logs would show who was using that IP address at the
    time of the post. A quick check with Cox' billing department would yield
    name, address, credit card #, etc. ;-)

    Besides using anonymous remailers, it's also possible to connect through
    open proxy servers (how spammers typically conceal the true origin of
    their spam). Technically illegal but also practically untraceable.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Oct 2, 2003
  9. Phillip Shaver

    Sam Smith Guest

    But Cox's server logs, name, address, credit card numbers would not be
    accessible by non-law enforcement people, right?

    Sam Smith, Oct 2, 2003
  10. Phillip Shaver

    Sam Smith Guest

    So, Bert, if I change my "Phillip" fake name to this "Sam" fame name (and
    email address), you're saying the header info is the same? Again, where
    does one find the header info?

    "Phillip Shaver" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Bert. How does one find these headers? I use Outlook Express for
    > newsgroup access.
    >

    > "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > > In news:Wb%eb.38023$gv5.37925@fed1read05 "Phillip Shaver"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > No, I'm not worried about a subpoena or anything like that, just an
    > > > obnoxious user in a very non-adult newsgroup I visit. I'm sure the

    CIA,
    > > > FBI, NSA or even local PD could find anyone if they really wanted to,
    > > > but my concerns are not nearly that important!
    > > >
    > > > Where did you get "68.4.17.224" at "Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:20:08 EDT"?

    Is
    > > > that me, and if so, how does one find that?

    > > Yes, that's you. Every post you make via your COX.NET news server has a
    > > number of headers inserted by them, one of which is

    EDT)

    Sam Smith, Oct 2, 2003
  11. Phillip Shaver

    Jim Miller Guest

    right mouse on the post, click properties, select details tab and push the
    message source button below.

    jtm

    Jim Miller, Oct 2, 2003
  12. Phillip Shaver

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:kB%eb.38047$gv5.12097@fed1read05 "Sam Smith" <>
    wrote:

    > So, Bert, if I change my "Phillip" fake name to this "Sam" fame name
    > (and email address), you're saying the header info is the same? Again,
    > where does one find the header info?

    Yes. Here's the header generated when you're posing as ""

    Looks remarkably the same as before, doesn't it?

    As to how to find the headers with Outlook Express, I'm afraid someone else
    will have to show you; I've never used it.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Oct 2, 2003
  13. "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message

    > But Cox's server logs would show who was using that IP address at the
    > time of the post. A quick check with Cox' billing department would yield
    > name, address, credit card #, etc. ;-)

    My point is that just because a message came from a computer doesn't prove
    that the owner sent it. You may have computers in living rooms accessed by
    spouses, teenagers, friends, housekeepers, etc., or in public libraries,
    schools, etc. Some detective work would have to be done to determine who did
    (or did not) sent the message.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Oct 2, 2003
  14. Phillip Shaver

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "Sam Smith" <> wrote:

    >But Cox's server logs, name, address, credit card numbers would not be
    >accessible by non-law enforcement people, right?

    Well, anyone with a subpoena.
    Could be law enforcement people in the case of a criminal act, but a
    civil case could also be an avenue. You could file a lawsuit and go
    through the time end expense but the judge wouldn't grant the subpoena
    unless you could show cause why you needed it.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Oct 2, 2003
  15. Phillip Shaver

    Ptarmigan Guest

    "Juan R. Pollo" <> wrote in message

    | "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > But Cox's server logs would show who was using that IP address at the
    | > time of the post. A quick check with Cox' billing department would yield
    | > name, address, credit card #, etc. ;-)
    | >
    | My point is that just because a message came from a computer doesn't prove
    | that the owner sent it. You may have computers in living rooms accessed by
    | spouses, teenagers, friends, housekeepers, etc., or in public libraries,
    | schools, etc. Some detective work would have to be done to determine who
    did
    | (or did not) sent the message.
    |
    | Juan

    True but at least it narrows down the point of contact.

    Brian

    Ptarmigan, Oct 2, 2003
  16. "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > Well, anyone with a subpoena.
    > Could be law enforcement people in the case of a criminal act, but a
    > civil case could also be an avenue. You could file a lawsuit and go
    > through the time end expense but the judge wouldn't grant the subpoena
    > unless you could show cause why you needed it.

    You obviously have not heard of the PATRIOT Act.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Oct 2, 2003
  17. "Juan R. Pollo" <> writes:

    > "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > > In news:IT_eb.37973$gv5.15439@fed1read05 "Phillip Shaver"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > As you're currently hooked up, someone who ->really wanted to know who you
    > > were would contact Cox Communications, maybe with a subpoena in hand, and
    > > ask who was using IP address "68.4.17.224" at "Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:20:08
    > > EDT".

    > Actually, all that would show is that the message came from a particular
    > connection, not who the author or sender were.

    If you show up with subpoena in hand, Cox will tell you which of their
    user accounts was assigned that IP address at that time.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 2, 2003
  18. Mark Roberts <> writes:

    > "Sam Smith" <> wrote:
    >
    > >But Cox's server logs, name, address, credit card numbers would not be
    > >accessible by non-law enforcement people, right?

    > Well, anyone with a subpoena.
    > Could be law enforcement people in the case of a criminal act, but a
    > civil case could also be an avenue. You could file a lawsuit and go
    > through the time end expense but the judge wouldn't grant the subpoena
    > unless you could show cause why you needed it.

    Also anybody with a friend working in the right place at Cox, of
    course. I suspect some private investigators have taken to building
    friendships with ISP people they way they do with Department of Motor
    Vehicles employees.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 2, 2003
  19. Phillip Shaver

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Phillip Shaver writes:

    > How can anyone really tell if my Usenet postings
    > are really from me or not?

    Nobody can know for sure if you are really you or not, unless you
    digitally sign your posts.

    > If I use a fake email address (like so many do), is
    > there another way to find out one's identity (from headers,
    > TCPIP addresses, etc.)?

    Not reliably, without digital signatures.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 2, 2003
  20. "Juan R. Pollo" <> writes:

    > "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > But Cox's server logs would show who was using that IP address at the
    > > time of the post. A quick check with Cox' billing department would yield
    > > name, address, credit card #, etc. ;-)

    > My point is that just because a message came from a computer doesn't prove
    > that the owner sent it. You may have computers in living rooms accessed by
    > spouses, teenagers, friends, housekeepers, etc., or in public libraries,
    > schools, etc. Some detective work would have to be done to determine who did
    > (or did not) sent the message.

    In the end, it's impossible to prove what person manipulated the
    keyboard in most cases, that's true. But that is unlikely to be
    enough to save you if you threaten somebody in email, for example.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 2, 2003