    restarted normally,and this time it worked.

    So now i am a bit nervous about letting the windows update install when the
    next one is due. Any ideas why it did this?

    Me, Oct 25, 2008

  2. Me

    jonathan446

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Hi,

    it would have being of good help if you had note the error message yoou can try updating all you drivers including bios chipset ect before updating it might it sound like a device driver did not like the update

    jonathan446, Oct 25, 2008

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    "Howard" <> wrote in message
    > Me wrote:
    >> Any ideas why this happened :
    >>
    >> I had the windows update come up telling me there was a new update,so i
    >> let it install and do its thing. Allowed it to restart but it hung on a
    >> black blank screen right before the welcome screen. I waited like 10 mins
    >> and it was still there,so i restarted it again,same thing.
    >> So I booted up in safe mode,that took 4 mins to go through each screen
    >> before i got to safe mode. Tried system restore,restarted,same problem as
    >> before. It would hang right before the welcome screen.
    >> Restarted again in safe mode,then it said restore complete, Shut down and
    >> restarted normally,and this time it worked.
    >>
    >> So now i am a bit nervous about letting the windows update install when
    >> the next one is due. Any ideas why it did this?

    > be patient depending on the update size, it can take time. and don''t
    > reboot whilst it is doing it's thing.or it can be a complete reinstall.

    First time its ever sat there on a blank screen. Usually ,ie,every other
    time I ever did an update,it starts up right away as normal to the
    desktop,then completes what it needs to for the install,not hanging there
    before the welcome screen appears.

    Me, Oct 25, 2008
  4. philo wrote:

    > "Me" wrote:
    >> I had the windows update come up telling me there was a new update,so

    > Next time the update comes up
    > choose the *custom* option
    >
    > then remove that update from the selection
    > and take the option to not ask you again.

    I wonder if this update is the one issued yesterday, not waiting for
    Patch Tuesday, because it is such a critical one.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-067.mspx

    http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Update_Microsoft_Patches_Critical_Flaw_In_Windows_27329.html

    Probably won't matter, though. Two hours after the patch was issued,
    someone hacked it...

    Seems time to abandon Windows for good, eh?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 25, 2008
  5. philo wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-067.mspx
    >>
    >> Probably won't matter, though. Two hours after the patch was issued,
    >> someone hacked it...
    >>
    >> Seems time to abandon Windows for good, eh?

    > Well I have applied all the patches to my XP and Win2k machines and
    > have had no problems with the patches themselves.

    Same here with my old slow PIII, dual boot with W2K and Ubuntu 6.06.
    'Course, I haven't powered it up for about five or six months. I'd
    probably have to reboot it a dozen times if I started it today in
    Windows, and maybe once with Ubuntu.

    > As far as security goes, I was using Linux for quite a while when I
    > was on the "net"... but went back to Windows...at least for now

    Time for a 180° !! :)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 25, 2008
  6. philo wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Time for a 180° !! :)

    > Well I am not going to get rid of my Linux install... but between my
    > router, firewall, Av software, and spyware checkers... and a bit of
    > common sense...I've never had a problem with Windows.

    Neither have I, but we are in the minority, eh? That old PIII I
    mentioned is still running its original installation of Windows 2000,
    since the day that version was introduced. I'd been using NT versions
    since NT 3.50.

    > Of course it is nice to be able to boot to Linux and not have to
    > bother with all the virus checker updates etc

    So true.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 25, 2008
  7. Me

    Me Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Me" <> wrote in message
    >> Any ideas why this happened :
    >>
    >> I had the windows update come up telling me there was a new update,so i

    > let
    >> it install and do its thing. Allowed it to restart but it hung on a black
    >> blank screen right before the welcome screen. I waited like 10 mins and
    >> it
    >> was still there,so i restarted it again,same thing.
    >> So I booted up in safe mode,that took 4 mins to go through each screen
    >> before i got to safe mode. Tried system restore,restarted,same problem as
    >> before. It would hang right before the welcome screen.
    >> Restarted again in safe mode,then it said restore complete, Shut down and
    >> restarted normally,and this time it worked.
    >>
    >> So now i am a bit nervous about letting the windows update install when

    > the
    >> next one is due. Any ideas why it did this?
    >>

    > Since the system restore finally took place,
    > that particular update would now have been rolled back
    >
    > Next time the update comes up
    > choose the *custom* option
    >
    > then remove that update from the selection
    > and take the option to not ask you again.
    >
    > BTW: You should also make a note to yourself, the number of the update
    > so you will never use it on the machine again...no matter what!

    I actually saw the number of the update,read it,and then forgot it when i
    tried to remember the number. I guess I should have written it down,in
    hindsight.

    Me, Oct 27, 2008