    it to go back to windows XP from Vista if I do not like this. Thanks
    alot

    AIM: fp863

    Jim Eckert, Jul 6, 2006

  2. Jim Eckert

    John Barnes Guest

    You will get much better answers to those questions if you go to the
    vista.general newsgroup
    Answers, you might and it's not possible, except to reinstall XP, either an
    image or fresh install.
    Don't do it on any system that has any importance to you.

    John Barnes, Jul 6, 2006

  3. More appropriate in Vista.general, but the short answers are:

    1.) Depends - if you do (and are able to do) an upgrade installation, you'll
    hopefully have whatever you had before. The chances of being able to do an
    upgrade on any x64 system are nil, and on any 32-bit system fairly good. But
    it will depend on many factors, including free disk space.

    2.) No. Unless you create a new, dual-boot scenario where you can boot into
    either Vista or XP. Which let's you choose which OS to boot into. But that
    requires a free partition with 30 GB or so of space.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 6, 2006
  4. Answer to 1: Do not upgrade from XP x86 to Vista x86 unless you are doing
    it on a test box to specifically test the upgrade scenarios. If you do it
    you may wind up losing your files, so plan on it. That's why it is still a
    beta product and not a final product. You cannot upgrade XP x86 Vista x64
    at all.

    Use a separate partition or drive. As the CPP GetReady page said prior to
    the closing of the signup period,

    "Note: This is beta code and should not be used in a production environment
    or on a main machine in the home. Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT
    professionals and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of
    Windows Vista. Before you decide to use Beta 2, you should feel comfortable
    with installing operating systems, updating drivers, and general PC
    troubleshooting. Some risks of using beta operating systems include hardware
    and software incompatibility and system instability. If you have concerns
    about installing this beta software on your computer, we encourage you to
    obtain the final release version of Windows Vista when it is available in
    2007."

    Answer to 2: Please read the GetReady page,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx
    where it says in pertinent part:

    "In addition, once you install Windows Vista Beta 2 (or RC1) you cannot roll
    back to the previous operating system installation-you will either have to
    acquire and install the final released edition of Windows Vista or reinstall
    a previous edition of Windows."

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Charlie:
    Vista x64 is functioning happily on this machine with it's own
    hard drive as part of a quad boot, including a raid mirror for Windows x64
    (main work system). On my test machine the only partition that I had
    available was on the Nvidia raid mirror. Installation wasn't a problem, the
    raid drivers installed and were recognized. After booting a few times
    between x64 and Vista x64 the raid corrupted, x64 and Vista 64 were lost. I
    haven't tried Vista x86 yet and most likely won't because I like x64.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Jul 7, 2006
  6. I wish I had a machine it were happy on, but I don't. The Ferrari was doing
    well, for a while, but it's now very unhappy and besides will not allow me
    to use the D-Link GigE PCCard NIC I've got - and that's critical here
    because of the complex networking setup I need to run. (I've actually got 4
    segments/subnets I use on a daily basis in building test environments, but I
    can get away with only three NICs by unplugging from one of the test
    segments and into another.)

    My A8V is in the middle of a complete bare metal rebuild. Sigh. And the new
    P5WD2 is dedicated to serving up VMs and I don't have it on Vista at all.
    Except to run Vista VMs. Which got broken again with the latest build.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 7, 2006
  7. Charlie:
    I pulled a dump stunt and should stand in the corner without a
    beer for a week (hour maybe). I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and
    read for the first time the release notes (nice PDF document). The current
    NF4 drivers don't support a mixture of PATA and SATA hard drives yet. My
    test machine has a mixed hard drive configuration. The really dump thing is
    that have a matching SATA drive waiting to be installed on my test machine
    for 2 months since I updated the raid hard drives on my production machine
    and I've been too lazy. I'll take back my comment about driver compatibility
    until I rebuilt it properly and then test it. Also as I posted earlier spell
    check works in Vista x64 Windows Mail.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Jul 8, 2006
  8. I'm so glad none of my machines are nvidia based. But right now I'm spending
    all my spare cycles building up a server for the local Habitat for Humanity.
    Once that's up and happy, I'm going to pull the Intel 930 box up and run it
    full time in LH server. And the 3800+ box will go back to trying to work
    with Vista. The Ferrari is going to wait for at least the next build. (I
    _need_ a working Windows Mail, and it's fatally broken in this build if you
    force to plain text, which I do.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2006