Just got this system quote

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by dave conz, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. dave conz

    dave conz Guest

    Could anyone comment on this system? In particular, there are some
    brands I don't recognise. I don't want anything half-arsed. Thanks.

    Intel Pentium 4 3GHz 800Mhz (Note – newer processor)
    Shuttle AB48Pn Motherboard
    Western Digital 80GB 7200 rpm 8 MB Cache 3 year warranty
    Lite On 8x DVD-RW (2 Year Warranty)
    Icute Case with front USB ports
    Windows XP Home edition OEM
    Galaxy 128MB graphics card with dual head adapter & TV out
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Firewire 3 prot pci card
    1 GB PC-3200 DDR RAM

    PC: $2194.04 Including GST
    17” Neso LCD Monitor: $769.38 Including GST
    ---------------------------
    http://www.mediacollege.com
    Electronic Media Tutorials & Resources

    dave conz, Dec 11, 2003

  2. dave conz

    Rider Guest

    "dave conz" <> wrote in message
    > Could anyone comment on this system? In particular, there are some
    > brands I don't recognise. I don't want anything half-arsed. Thanks.
    >
    > Intel Pentium 4 3GHz 800Mhz (Note - newer processor)
    > Shuttle AB48Pn Motherboard
    > Western Digital 80GB 7200 rpm 8 MB Cache 3 year warranty
    > Lite On 8x DVD-RW (2 Year Warranty)
    > Icute Case with front USB ports
    > Windows XP Home edition OEM
    > Galaxy 128MB graphics card with dual head adapter & TV out
    > Floppy Disk Drive
    > Firewire 3 prot pci card
    > 1 GB PC-3200 DDR RAM
    >
    > PC: $2194.04 Including GST
    > 17" Neso LCD Monitor: $769.38 Including GST
    > ---------------------------
    > http://www.mediacollege.com
    > Electronic Media Tutorials & Resources

    I've never heard of Galaxy video cards before. Maybe thats just me though.

    Rider, Dec 11, 2003

  3. dave conz

    JJD Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:59:39 +1300, dave conz <> wrote:

    >Could anyone comment on this system? In particular, there are some
    >brands I don't recognise. I don't want anything half-arsed. Thanks.
    >
    >Intel Pentium 4 3GHz 800Mhz (Note – newer processor)
    >Shuttle AB48Pn Motherboard
    >Western Digital 80GB 7200 rpm 8 MB Cache 3 year warranty
    >Lite On 8x DVD-RW (2 Year Warranty)
    >Icute Case with front USB ports
    >Windows XP Home edition OEM
    >Galaxy 128MB graphics card with dual head adapter & TV out
    >Floppy Disk Drive
    >Firewire 3 prot pci card
    >1 GB PC-3200 DDR RAM
    >
    >PC: $2194.04 Including GST
    >17” Neso LCD Monitor: $769.38 Including GST

    I'd ask why they are supplying a PCI firewire card, instead of using a
    motherboard which has it onboard, and you'd want the firewire port on
    the front of the case, as well.

    JJD

    JJD, Dec 11, 2003
  4. dave conz

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:59:39 +1300, dave conz <> wrote:

    >Could anyone comment on this system? In particular, there are some
    >brands I don't recognise. I don't want anything half-arsed. Thanks.
    >
    >Intel Pentium 4 3GHz 800Mhz (Note – newer processor)
    >Shuttle AB48Pn Motherboard
    >Western Digital 80GB 7200 rpm 8 MB Cache 3 year warranty
    >Lite On 8x DVD-RW (2 Year Warranty)
    >Icute Case with front USB ports
    >Windows XP Home edition OEM
    >Galaxy 128MB graphics card with dual head adapter & TV out
    >Floppy Disk Drive
    >Firewire 3 prot pci card
    >1 GB PC-3200 DDR RAM
    >
    >PC: $2194.04 Including GST
    >17” Neso LCD Monitor: $769.38 Including GST
    >---------------------------
    >http://www.mediacollege.com
    >Electronic Media Tutorials & Resources

    Why the Shuttle AB48Pn Motherboard ????

    I don't think its listed in the Top 10..

    Dumdedo, Dec 11, 2003
  5. dave conz

    Admin Guest

    looks pretty dodgy when they don't even mention what type of video card
    it is.

    tryed www.pp.co.nz ?? they've always given us excellent service/prices.

    Admin, Dec 12, 2003
  6. dave conz

    dave conz Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:43:10 +1300, Dumdedo
    <> wrote:

    >Why the Shuttle AB48Pn Motherboard ????
    >
    >I don't think its listed in the Top 10..

    I have no idea. That's just what they included in their quote. I
    hadn't specified a particular motherboard.

    ---------------------------

    dave conz, Dec 12, 2003
  7. dave conz

    dave conz Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:31:51 +1300, JJD <> wrote:

    >I'd ask why they are supplying a PCI firewire card, instead of using a
    >motherboard which has it onboard, and you'd want the firewire port on
    >the front of the case, as well.

    Is on-board a better option then?

    ---------------------------

    dave conz, Dec 12, 2003
  8. dave conz

    dave conz Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:28:42 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >I've never heard of Galaxy video cards before. Maybe thats just me though.

    Nor me. I don't need a high-performance card, just one that has dual
    monitor outputs. As long as it works I'm happy but I don't want a crap
    brand.
    ---------------------------

    dave conz, Dec 12, 2003
  9. dave conz

    JJD Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:57:26 +1300, dave conz <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:31:51 +1300, JJD <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'd ask why they are supplying a PCI firewire card, instead of using a
    >>motherboard which has it onboard, and you'd want the firewire port on
    >>the front of the case, as well.
    >>

    >Is on-board a better option then?

    I believe so. Less chance of unusual conflicts, as the manufacturer
    has theoretically ironed all that stuff out. Leaves a slot free, too.

    JJD

    JJD, Dec 12, 2003
  10. dave conz

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:43:10 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

    > Why the Shuttle AB48Pn Motherboard ????
    >

    > I don't think its listed in the Top 10..

    What Top 10?

    Woger's greatest motherboard hits?

    AD., Dec 12, 2003
  11. dave conz

    Acetyldehyde Guest

    I could do:

    INTEL Pentium 4 3.0Ghz 512k 800MHz FSB
    GIGABYTE GA-8I875 PGA 478 P4 Motherboard (sata raid0, firewire, usb, 5.1
    sound)
    MAXTOR DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB Serial ATA (really should get two and run
    raid0)
    MITSHUBISHI DIAMOND DATA DVD RW+/- Dual Rewriteable
    ATX Desktop Case + 300W ATX P4 PSU *3 x 5.25", 1 x 3.5" exposed *2 x 3.5"
    hidden *Front USB
    PANASONIC 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
    512Mb DDR400 x 2 (to acheive dual channel speeds)

    $1956 incl. GST

    Note: no video card

    $770 for a 17" LCD sounds too good to be true.

    Acetyldehyde, Dec 12, 2003
  12. dave conz

    cowboyz Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "dave conz" <> wrote in message
    >> Could anyone comment on this system? In particular, there are some
    >> brands I don't recognise. I don't want anything half-arsed. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Intel Pentium 4 3GHz 800Mhz (Note - newer processor)
    >> Shuttle AB48Pn Motherboard
    >> Western Digital 80GB 7200 rpm 8 MB Cache 3 year warranty
    >> Lite On 8x DVD-RW (2 Year Warranty)
    >> Icute Case with front USB ports
    >> Windows XP Home edition OEM
    >> Galaxy 128MB graphics card with dual head adapter & TV out
    >> Floppy Disk Drive
    >> Firewire 3 prot pci card
    >> 1 GB PC-3200 DDR RAM
    >>
    >> PC: $2194.04 Including GST
    >> 17" Neso LCD Monitor: $769.38 Including GST
    >> ---------------------------
    >> http://www.mediacollege.com
    >> Electronic Media Tutorials & Resources

    > I've never heard of Galaxy video cards before. Maybe thats just me
    > though.

    The Galaxy cards are very nice. I have seen the 5600U and it rocks. I
    would be a little concerned about the Shuttle board. I haven't seen these
    boards for a year or so but last time I looked they were cheap shit. ( and
    were shit)

    cowboyz, Dec 12, 2003
  13. dave conz

    cowboyz Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:43:10 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:
    >
    >> Why the Shuttle AB48Pn Motherboard ????
    >>

    >> I don't think its listed in the Top 10..

    > What Top 10?
    >
    > Woger's greatest motherboard hits?

    If it isn't in Wogers top 10 it is probably a good buy.

    However, I already posted my thoughts on shuttle.

    cowboyz, Dec 12, 2003
  14. Acetyldehyde wrote:
    > $770 for a 17" LCD sounds too good to be true.

    I'll tell you how my $680 17" LCD goes when it arrives on Monday, then :).
    (The specs *say* 16ms pixel refresh time, and 450:1 contrast ratio. The LCD
    screen has built-in speakers, too).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 12, 2003
  15. Hi there,

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Acetyldehyde wrote:
    >
    >>$770 for a 17" LCD sounds too good to be true.

    > I'll tell you how my $680 17" LCD goes when it arrives on Monday, then :).
    > (The specs *say* 16ms pixel refresh time, and 450:1 contrast ratio. The LCD
    > screen has built-in speakers, too).

    I've looked at a 17" Proview at a local Chch PC store for $750. Not bad
    image quality (I did pick minor faults with moire, geometry and colour).
    I'd be inclined to focus more money on the screen...no good spending up
    elsewhere in the system when the picture lets it down...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 13, 2003
  16. > I've looked at a 17" Proview at a local Chch PC store for $750. Not bad
    > image quality (I did pick minor faults with moire, geometry and colour).
    > I'd be inclined to focus more money on the screen...no good spending up
    > elsewhere in the system when the picture lets it down...

    I would be interested in how an LCD can exhibit moire and geometry problems!

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 15, 2003
  17. Hi there,

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    >> I've looked at a 17" Proview at a local Chch PC store for $750. Not bad
    >> image quality (I did pick minor faults with moire, geometry and colour).
    >> I'd be inclined to focus more money on the screen...no good spending up
    >> elsewhere in the system when the picture lets it down...

    > I would be interested in how an LCD can exhibit moire and geometry
    > problems!

    Thats just what it looked like. It looked like the crawly diffraction
    effect you get on a bad CRT. Geometry is probably not the best word to
    use, but to me it appeared that outside the native res of the panel the
    image appeared to not line up straight. I wonder if the signal was fed
    in via analogue to cause that?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 17, 2003