Just got my Sony DSC-P200... wow... questions...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jazz, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Jazz

    Jazz Guest

    This is a cool camera... sure beats the pants off my old 3MP HP
    camera... but boy, it is so much more complex. Not hard to use, just
    overwheleming with cool stuff that it can do!

    Since I am new to Sony digital photography, i have two questions:

    1)This memory stick pro thing is confusing me. These sticks are useless
    in anything other than a Sony? Sometimes, when I see them on websites
    like newegg.com, they look smaller than the 32mb one that came with my
    P200. Is a memory stick pro a memory stick pro no matter what? I am
    looking to get a 1gb one. Does brand name matter? Is a sony memory
    stick pro any better than a scandisk one?

    2)Printers. I figure since i have a nice camera, it is time to start
    printing them from home. I am not a professional photographer, but Id
    like to printer photo-ablum-worthy photos, and my wife would like to
    print scrap-book-worthy photos. Any suggestions for a photo printer to
    use with my P200 that is affordable yet prints quality photos? I cant
    imagine me needing to print anything larger than a 5 x 7.

    thanks in advance!
    Jazz Mann
    Jazz, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Jazz

    EF in FLA Guest

    > 1)This memory stick pro thing is confusing me. These sticks are useless
    > in anything other than a Sony?

    That's the reason I'll never buy a Sony.

    ef
    EF in FLA, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Jazz

    Jazz Guest

    uhhh...thanks for the advice... anyone else...?
    Jazz, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Jazz

    EF in FLA Guest

    > uhhh...thanks for the advice... anyone else...?

    Yeah I know, not much help. What is your price range for the printer?
    $100? $1,000? It makes a difference....give us an idea.

    The last 2 printers I've bought were Canons. I swear by 'em.

    ef
    EF in FLA, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Jazz

    Cathy Guest

    "EF in FLA" <> wrote in message
    > > 1)This memory stick pro thing is confusing me. These sticks are

    useless
    > > in anything other than a Sony?

    > That's the reason I'll never buy a Sony.

    There's nothing wrong with Sony. I have a Sony W5 I bought a few months
    ago, and I like it fine.
    Olympus and Fuji have proprietary memory cards the same as Sony does.
    But if you are not taking hundreds of pictures every week or something,
    a 512MB stores lots of pictures or even a 256 MB is OK for many people..
    Its not as if you are buying memory cards every five minutes. How many
    do you need? SD cards are not much cheaper than memory stick pros now.
    I would not be put off buying a Sony or Olympus or Fuji just because
    they have proprietary memory cards. I bought a camera I liked and
    wouldn't buy a camera which takes an SD card if I didn't like the
    camera.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Jazz

    Jazz Guest

    EF, as for the printer price, id like to stay under $200.

    And Cathy, thanks for the wakeup call, for some reason, I assumed I'd
    need a gig incase I wanted to shoot video, which I doubt I'll do very
    much with it. 512 may be plenty for me, and it'll save me some cash!
    thanks both of you...
    Jazz, Nov 22, 2005
  7. Jazz

    Cathy Guest

    "Jazz" <> wrote in message
    > This is a cool camera... sure beats the pants off my old 3MP HP
    > camera... but boy, it is so much more complex. Not hard to use, just
    > overwheleming with cool stuff that it can do!
    >
    > Since I am new to Sony digital photography, i have two questions:
    >
    > 1)This memory stick pro thing is confusing me. These sticks are

    useless
    > in anything other than a Sony? Sometimes, when I see them on websites
    > like newegg.com, they look smaller than the 32mb one that came with my
    > P200. Is a memory stick pro a memory stick pro no matter what? I am
    > looking to get a 1gb one. Does brand name matter? Is a sony memory
    > stick pro any better than a scandisk one?

    Memory stick pro sticks are used only in Sony cameras the same as Fuji
    and Olympus have their own memory cards used only with their cameras.
    Some Sony memory stick pros can be used for other Sony devices. PDA's
    and other products. I don't have any, so never paid much attention.
    Sony Memory stick pros used to be higher priced than SD cards, but now
    are not much more.
    Memory stick pros are now made by Sony, Sandisk and Lexar, and are up to
    4G or something. I bought a 512MB memory stick pro.I am not planning on
    taking tons of photos. Just family photos, nice scenery, if I see any,
    and general picture taking. A lot depends on what you will use your
    camera for and how often, as to what size memory stick pro to get.
    There is also the memory stick pro duo which is used for other devices
    besides cameras. It needs an adapter, so you probably don't need that
    one. When you go to buy one, ask the sales person what to explain the
    differences in memory stick pro cards. Thats how I found out :)

    I have a Sony W5 which I bought a few months ago. It takes good
    pictures.I like it. I looked at the P200 but it was a bit more money
    that I wanted to pay, but I liked the look of it. I think you will be
    quite happy with the P200. I read that it takes good pictures.

    > 2)Printers. I figure since i have a nice camera, it is time to start
    > printing them from home. I am not a professional photographer, but Id
    > like to printer photo-ablum-worthy photos, and my wife would like to
    > print scrap-book-worthy photos. Any suggestions for a photo printer to
    > use with my P200 that is affordable yet prints quality photos? I cant
    > imagine me needing to print anything larger than a 5 x 7.

    I have a cheap Canon photo printer. It prints OK, but probably more
    expensive printers print
    better. I used to have an Epson printer which I got fed up with, because
    it cost me a fortune in cartridges . The new one is more reasonable.
    Maybe someone here can recommend a printer for you, or go to Staples and
    some other computer stores and check out printers, and ask the salesman
    about them.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Nov 22, 2005
  8. Jazz

    Cathy Guest

    "Jazz" <> wrote in message
    > EF, as for the printer price, id like to stay under $200.
    >
    > And Cathy, thanks for the wakeup call, for some reason, I assumed I'd
    > need a gig incase I wanted to shoot video, which I doubt I'll do very
    > much with it. 512 may be plenty for me, and it'll save me some cash!
    > thanks both of you...

    You don't need a 1 Gig to shoot video. You can shoot video with any
    memory stick pro, but video takes up a lot of memory. I experimented
    with video on my memory card but only for a couple of minutes. Your Sony
    manual will tell you how many minutes of video you can take with various
    sizes of memory sticks. Video is kind of a novel on a P&S camera. Mine
    came out quite well. I used the self timer to do a small video of myself
    so nobody else would see if it I looked too bad - LOL.
    Most Sony P&S cameras take good movies. Video can only be used up to the
    space left on a memory card. A 512MB card should be fine for you. By the
    way, don't get a memory stick. You might not even see any they are
    mainly phased out now. You can't take video with them. You need memory
    stick Pro to get video.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Nov 22, 2005
  9. Jazz wrote:
    > This is a cool camera... sure beats the pants off my old 3MP HP
    > camera... but boy, it is so much more complex. Not hard to use, just
    > overwheleming with cool stuff that it can do!
    >
    > Since I am new to Sony digital photography, i have two questions:
    >
    > 1)This memory stick pro thing is confusing me. These sticks are useless
    > in anything other than a Sony? Sometimes, when I see them on websites
    > like newegg.com, they look smaller than the 32mb one that came with my
    > P200. Is a memory stick pro a memory stick pro no matter what? I am
    > looking to get a 1gb one. Does brand name matter? Is a sony memory
    > stick pro any better than a scandisk one?

    I have owned a P200 since last February and you are right about it being
    a powerful little camera. It has many nice features like 1/1,000 second
    flash sync, 30 second shutter speed for long exposure, low ISO night
    shots, manual controls with good data readout before and after the
    picture is taken and fixed focus lengths to name just a few. As for
    memory it really doesn't matter which brand you use but you will need to
    make it the Pro version to take video at 640x480 @ 30fps. I have a 1
    gig stick and it works well. You'll want decent capacity if you plan to
    take any video. A 1 gig stick holds only 12 minutes of highest quality
    video.

    > 2)Printers. I figure since i have a nice camera, it is time to start
    > printing them from home. I am not a professional photographer, but Id
    > like to printer photo-ablum-worthy photos, and my wife would like to
    > print scrap-book-worthy photos. Any suggestions for a photo printer to
    > use with my P200 that is affordable yet prints quality photos? I cant
    > imagine me needing to print anything larger than a 5 x 7.

    I recommend a Canon iP4000 printer. It produces excellent photos and
    also print text very well. It you use third party cartridges it is very
    economical to run. There are other good brands but I find Canon to
    deliver the most bang-for-the-buck.
    Michael Johnson, PE, Nov 22, 2005
  10. Jazz

    Hans S Guest

    "Cathy" <> wrote in

    >> > 1)This memory stick pro thing is confusing me. These sticks are

    > useless
    >> > in anything other than a Sony?

    >> That's the reason I'll never buy a Sony.

    > There's nothing wrong with Sony.

    For me that's the main thing wrong with Sony too. It's not just the
    imcompatiblity, it's their commitment to their users: I remember the
    introduction of the Memory Stick. Never did they mention that 128MB would
    be the limit.

    > I have a Sony W5 I bought a few months
    > ago, and I like it fine.
    > Olympus and Fuji have proprietary memory cards the same as Sony does.

    Yes, but not as many different models.

    And it disqualifies them too ;)

    > But if you are not taking hundreds of pictures every week or something,
    > a 512MB stores lots of pictures or even a 256 MB is OK for many

    people..
    > Its not as if you are buying memory cards every five minutes. How many
    > do you need? SD cards are not much cheaper than memory stick pros now.

    Hmmmm. 1GB SD card 15MB/s e80. 1GB Memory Stick 10MB/s e177. A mere 98
    euro difference.

    > I would not be put off buying a Sony or Olympus or Fuji just because
    > they have proprietary memory cards. I bought a camera I liked and
    > wouldn't buy a camera which takes an SD card if I didn't like the
    > camera.

    If you like a camera so much more than the competition, I agree the media
    should not stop you.
    Hans S, Nov 22, 2005
  11. Jazz

    EF in FLA Guest

    EF in FLA, Nov 22, 2005
  12. Jazz

    Celcius Guest

    "Jazz" <> wrote in message
    > This is a cool camera... sure beats the pants off my old 3MP HP
    > camera... but boy, it is so much more complex. Not hard to use, just
    > overwheleming with cool stuff that it can do!
    >
    > Since I am new to Sony digital photography, i have two questions:
    >
    > 1)This memory stick pro thing is confusing me. These sticks are useless
    > in anything other than a Sony? Sometimes, when I see them on websites
    > like newegg.com, they look smaller than the 32mb one that came with my
    > P200. Is a memory stick pro a memory stick pro no matter what? I am
    > looking to get a 1gb one. Does brand name matter? Is a sony memory
    > stick pro any better than a scandisk one?
    >
    > 2)Printers. I figure since i have a nice camera, it is time to start
    > printing them from home. I am not a professional photographer, but Id
    > like to printer photo-ablum-worthy photos, and my wife would like to
    > print scrap-book-worthy photos. Any suggestions for a photo printer to
    > use with my P200 that is affordable yet prints quality photos? I cant
    > imagine me needing to print anything larger than a 5 x 7.
    >
    > thanks in advance!
    > Jazz Mann

    Hi Jazz!

    I use the Epson Stylus Photo R300. It makes great prints and also prints on
    "printable" CD's and DVD's.
    The printer isn't very costly, but the ink cartridges are.
    I find that to do a good job, you have to use proprietary ink and paper. Not
    only it prints better. but the prints last longer (don't fade as fast).
    If you have any number of prints to make, it's cheaper to have it done
    commercially.

    Regards,

    Marcel
    Celcius, Nov 22, 2005
  13. Jazz

    m Ransley Guest

    I have a W5 Sandisck pro and Sony cards. Card prices have plunged over
    the years and will continue. Any card can fail, using 256 or 512 leave
    less to loose. Use what you have, learn to delete and resize and store,
    I just filled up a 512 and deleted and resized and found 150mb free
    again. The 110$ 1GB cards will be 50$ in a few years. I have a Sony
    Camcorder so the option was logical. When I upgrade it will be a Rebel
    and new card system, but not this year, and the sony will still work
    fine.
    m Ransley, Nov 22, 2005
  14. Jazz

    poddys Guest

    There is another reason for not buying Sony right now, and that is
    their use of Digital Rights Management software on many of their new
    products. A lot of their latest CD's have protection software that
    hides itself on your PC and opens it up to all kinds of new virus
    attacks. This Root Kit software is hard to uninstall without damaging
    your Windows installation. (lots more about this in the news).
    My issue (other than boycotting Sony) would be that I would like to be
    certain that any software they provide with the camera does not include
    Root Kit technology.
    Of course if you are going to take your Memory Stick out and use a card
    reader you are probably safe...
    Of course their cameras etc as always are good products...
    poddys, Nov 22, 2005
  15. Jazz

    Jazz Guest

    if I know myself well enough, I know that if I buy a photo printer, in
    a few months it will gather dust or be neglected as soon as the ink
    runs out the first time. May be cost effective for me to just take the
    memory to the drug store or walmart and print pictures that way...
    Jazz, Nov 22, 2005
  16. Jazz

    poddys Guest

    The cost of using Walmart (Walgreens or whoever) is around 29cents a
    photo (or less if they have a sale), which is comparable to printing
    them yourself at home. The difference is the quality should be better
    if you get them to do the printing, and the ink shouldn't fade. Not to
    say it's not handy to have a printer, but these days we only print a
    few photos on ours - most of ours we look at on the screen anyhow, or
    email to friends.
    poddys, Nov 22, 2005
  17. Jazz

    Cathy Guest

    "Hans S" <> wrote in message
    > "Cathy" <> wrote in

    > > useless
    > >>
    > >> That's the reason I'll never buy a Sony.

    > > There's nothing wrong with Sony.

    > For me that's the main thing wrong with Sony too. It's not just the
    > imcompatiblity, it's their commitment to their users: I remember the
    > introduction of the Memory Stick. Never did they mention that 128MB

    would
    > be the limit.

    I don't know about the Sony before when they used memory sticks. I am in
    Canada, and they are haven't seen memory sticks since I bought my camera
    a few months ago, but I used to see them and the memory sticks were
    noticeably more money at that time than other memory cards, but now
    I only see Memory stick pros in the store and the price is much cheapr
    than it was not that long ago.

    > > I have a Sony W5 I bought a few months
    > > ago, and I like it fine.
    > > Olympus and Fuji have proprietary memory cards the same as Sony

    does.

    > Yes, but not as many different models.
    >
    > And it disqualifies them too ;)

    Maybe to you but not to everyone. Sony sells a lot of cameras.

    > > But if you are not taking hundreds of pictures every week or

    something,
    > > a 512MB stores lots of pictures or even a 256 MB is OK for many

    > people..
    > > Its not as if you are buying memory cards every five minutes. How

    many
    > > do you need? SD cards are not much cheaper than memory stick pros

    now.

    > Hmmmm. 1GB SD card 15MB/s e80. 1GB Memory Stick 10MB/s e177. A mere 98
    > euro difference.

    Wow! I don't know anything about Euros as I live in Canada, so only know
    about Canadian and US dollars, but I looked up euros on a coversion
    chart and 98 euros is about $135.00 C $ and $115.00 US$, so 98 euros is
    a huge difference. Are you sure that is correct? Where do you live?
    Memory stick Pro cards are much cheaper here than where you live. They
    have come down dramatically in the last year, maybe partly because Sony
    has allowed Sandisk and Lexar and Kingston to make memory stick pros.
    I looked up prices on two Canadian sites of two electronic chain stores
    here.Sandisk 1 GB SD card is $110.00 for Lexar and Sandisk cards and
    Sony 1G is $119.00 for Sandisk,so only $10.00 more for Memory stick pro.
    I forgot to check if any of those were on sale. Memory cards are quite
    often on sale here. For 256MB and 512MB memory cards, the price is
    similar for both SD and memory stick Pro. I bought my Sony memory stick
    pro for $59.00 (Can$)on sale and SD cards were the same price as they
    were not on sale.. Compact flash cards are cheaper than any other cards,
    or used to be.

    But unless you are going to take a lot of pictures frequently, a 512MB
    card should be good enough IMO and can take a lot of pictures and even
    if Memory stick pro is more expensive in some cases, it is not that much
    more and not like you are buying memory cards very often. The average
    amateur might just take family photos at Christmas, photos of their
    children, going on a trip every few years (if you're lucky). You can
    always copy the photos to your hard drive and delete originals from your
    memory stick. Or put them on a CDR. I suppose if I went on a trip, I
    might need another 512MB card or just take my film camera along as a
    supplement :)

    > > I would not be put off buying a Sony or Olympus or Fuji just because
    > > they have proprietary memory cards. I bought a camera I liked and
    > > wouldn't buy a camera which takes an SD card if I didn't like the
    > > camera.

    > If you like a camera so much more than the competition, I agree the
    > media should not stop you.

    It wouldn't stop me because I wouldn't be buying 1G cards and even if I
    was, how many 1G cards would I need. For myself, a 512MB is enough.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Nov 23, 2005