    missed it.

    John Slevin.

    ---
    jslevin, Sep 25, 2003

  2. jslevin

    Frank ess Guest

    "jslevin" <jslevin@(remove)iolfree.ie> wrote in message
    news:bkvafp$8rj$...
    > I just got my Coolpix 5700 back from Nikon UK after having the gear
    > mechanism repaired under warranty after the lens became jammed when
    > inadvertently switched on.
    > The whole operation took three weeks and the camera was returned in

    pristine
    > condition and even had a fingerprint on the lens removed.
    > Pretty good service I'd say. I'm just delighted to have that camera back I
    > missed it.
    >
    > John Slevin.

    My similar two-week deprivation experience with Nikon USA (Torrance,
    California) began after the camera was turned on by an inadvertent shift of
    cargo while in a camera bag. The bag didn't allow the lens to extend,
    stripping the gears.

    After reading of many similar instances, I reckon it amounts to a design
    flaw. I asked around, and was reminded the lens will not extend when the
    camera is stored in Playback mode. It seems to me the factory could save a
    lot of warranty repair and associated costs by including an instruction, or
    at least recommendation, that the camera be switched to Playback mode Before
    sticking it in a bag.

    Tell your fellow CP5700 owners. It'll save that separation anxiety.

    Frank ess

    560 photos from the 2003 Monterey Historic Automobile Races at
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/2EE6E4944A6DEAD
    (A couple of them are in focus!
    And uncluttered!
    And well-exposed! Amazing!)
    Frank ess, Sep 25, 2003

  3. jslevin

    jslevin Guest

    Ye, Frank. Funny, but my mishap was almost identical to yours. I took the
    camera onto the golfcourse in a pocket of my golf bag and it shifted and
    switched on damaging the gears exactly as you mentioned.
    I certainly seems like a design fault and I read of many similar examples on
    the internet. A lesson learned here! Just have to be careful in future.
    Playback mode indeed seems to be the solution.

    Regards,
    John Slevin.

    jslevin, Sep 26, 2003
  4. jslevin

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "jslevin" <jslevin@(remove)iolfree.ie> wrote

    > I just got my Coolpix 5700 back from Nikon UK after having the gear
    > mechanism repaired under warranty after the lens became jammed when
    > inadvertently switched on.

    I'm glad my Coolpix 995 has an internal zoom system, so that couldn't
    happen. I've often found the camera in Auto mode when taking it out of it's
    bag.

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Sep 26, 2003