Just getting started looking into certifications...

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Marko, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Marko

    Marko Guest

    If you know relatively close to nothing or have been in
    the industry say less than 6 months...YES, A+ is good.
    Biggest criticism I have is that these 2 exams are
    expensive and are likely the easiest exams in the IT
    industry. For a seasoned professional, I think A+ is a
    waste of money.

    Pass a Microsoft exam and get MCP status. I think this
    has the potential to reflect the level of knowledge A+
    credential has and then some. Say MCP with either a pass
    in 07-210 Win2K-Pro or 270 WinXP-Pro and I believe you are
    demonstrating knowledge of greater depth than the A+
    shows. Be clear - Depth, but not breadth. A+ is very
    broad IT knowledge and is not vendor specific. Because it
    is so broad, it tends to be superficial and simplistic.
    In my opinion, it is for this reason that I think A+ is a
    waste of time if you have years of experience and other
    credentials.

    After A+ and / or MCP, I vote working on Network+ and / or
    MCSA. If your long term goal is MCSE, then I think MCSA
    has higher priority. If you are working for the man, then
    Network+. One exam, study at home, not too hard and it is
    worthwhile for just about any IT job situation.

    CCNA may get your attention if you are looking to work on
    any CISCO equipment or routers / switches / networks.
    This credential is valid for just 3 years. Bit rough.
    I'd rather the credential was "CCNA 2003" or similar.

    MCSE or MCDBA are the premier Microsoft credentials. Both
    are tough to get and reflect dedication to study and
    likely a small to medium investment in cash. Do MCSE and
    then the two SQL exams for MCDBA. DO 214 and 227 (done
    220?) and get MCSE:Security.

    Where to now? Server+ for those MCSEs working with lots
    of servers to work with. This exam is tough because the
    answers will make your mind scream "This can't be
    right?!?" Stuff like "What is the least likely cause of
    sudden, unexplained whirring noise you can hear coming
    from the server?"
    a/ CPU
    b/ Power Supply
    c/ Hard Disk
    d/ RAID Controller

    Answer at the end... I admire anybody who passes this
    exam and says it was easy. And means it.

    SO...you are A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCDBA,
    Server+ - where to now? MCT of course. That's where the
    big bucks are too.

    I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has mapped out a
    certification path like I have?

    All the best

    Marko

    Now...the answer. LEAST LIKELY: Knock out c/ cause that
    would be stupid. Hard drives fail all the time and cause
    noises all the time that could be described as whirring.
    You wouldn't hear the CPU Fan over all the other noise,
    but it could make a noise (ever heard a cable against a
    fan?). Power supply fan - definitely a chance to make a
    noise. RAID controller - highly unlikely that it has a
    fan or any moving parts. Answer - d/.

    Marko, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Marko

    Tim Guest

    >"What is the least likely cause of
    >sudden, unexplained whirring noise you can hear coming
    >from the server?"
    >a/ CPU
    >b/ Power Supply
    >c/ Hard Disk
    >d/ RAID Controller

    What a stupid question. It could many thing, even a cockroach stuck in
    the fan.

    Tim, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Marko

    KLXrider Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:18:20 +0100, Tim <â„¢> wrote:

    >>"What is the least likely cause of
    >>sudden, unexplained whirring noise you can hear coming
    >>from the server?"
    >>a/ CPU
    >>b/ Power Supply
    >>c/ Hard Disk
    >>d/ RAID Controller

    >What a stupid question. It could many thing, even a cockroach stuck in
    >the fan.

    or the fact that your leg pushed the system up against the desk

    KLXrider, Jul 15, 2003