Just formatted my PC and after installing the Video card drivers the OS won't load...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by patrick.juliani@gmail.com, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Well, after taking the time to format and reinstall my WIN XP OS, the
    PC won't boot anymore; it posts correctly, but just won't boot the OS
    after installing the video drivers.

    I own a Radeon 9200 Video card, but I also have a TV Wonder card too. I
    started by installing the Catalyst CD for the Radeon 9200 and that
    failed after the reboot from the first install. So I decided to pull
    the Installer program and start over with the TV Wonder CD. So
    uninsatll the Catalyst, no reboot, install the TV Wonder, reboot. The
    reboot worked and on load, I ended up with the TV Wonder bar on the
    right side of my screen and all looked to be ok.

    Well it wasn't, because after a few programs loaded at start, the Win
    XP Add new Hardware program detected a 9200 card and tried to install
    it. I accepted, not exactly sure it would matter since XP comes loaded
    with the Radeon drivers as default and I thought I would be able to
    reload them after with the propriatery drivers.
    Well during installation of the defult XP 9200 drivers, the PC crashed,
    I got a Blue Screen and I can no longer boot the OS; not even in Safe
    mode or Last Known good configuration.

    I am at a loss and am wondering what I can go through now. Should I
    physically remove the video card and put another one in? I have already
    removed the TV Wonder component and am scrambling to find another card
    to test.
    Should I force an IRQ on the video card? Could that help me boot the
    Win XP OS?
    Help, because I don't want to reinstall again, since I tok the time to
    transfer files back over from my main PC at home and these files will
    be lost...

    Pat J.
    , Nov 21, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I am at a loss and am wondering what I can go through now. Should I
    > physically remove the video card and put another one in? I have already
    > removed the TV Wonder component and am scrambling to find another card
    > to test.
    > Should I force an IRQ on the video card? Could that help me boot the
    > Win XP OS?
    > Help, because I don't want to reinstall again, since I tok the time to
    > transfer files back over from my main PC at home and these files will
    > be lost...

    You can try a repair install, that should keep your files and already
    installed programs.
    More specifically, what happens if you want to startup in safe mode?

    Walter Mautner, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:40:54 -0800, patrick.juliani Has Frothed:

    > Well, after taking the time to format and reinstall my WIN XP OS, the
    > PC won't boot anymore; it posts correctly, but just won't boot the OS
    > after installing the video drivers.
    >
    > I own a Radeon 9200 Video card, but I also have a TV Wonder card too. I
    > started by installing the Catalyst CD for the Radeon 9200 and that
    > failed after the reboot from the first install. So I decided to pull
    > the Installer program and start over with the TV Wonder CD. So
    > uninsatll the Catalyst, no reboot, install the TV Wonder, reboot. The
    > reboot worked and on load, I ended up with the TV Wonder bar on the
    > right side of my screen and all looked to be ok.
    >
    > Well it wasn't, because after a few programs loaded at start, the Win
    > XP Add new Hardware program detected a 9200 card and tried to install
    > it. I accepted, not exactly sure it would matter since XP comes loaded
    > with the Radeon drivers as default and I thought I would be able to
    > reload them after with the propriatery drivers.
    > Well during installation of the defult XP 9200 drivers, the PC crashed,
    > I got a Blue Screen and I can no longer boot the OS; not even in Safe
    > mode or Last Known good configuration.
    >
    > I am at a loss and am wondering what I can go through now. Should I
    > physically remove the video card and put another one in? I have already
    > removed the TV Wonder component and am scrambling to find another card
    > to test.
    > Should I force an IRQ on the video card? Could that help me boot the
    > Win XP OS?
    > Help, because I don't want to reinstall again, since I tok the time to
    > transfer files back over from my main PC at home and these files will
    > be lost...
    >
    > Pat J.

    What's the stop code on the blue screen?

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 21, 2006
  4. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > Well, after taking the time to format and reinstall my WIN XP OS, the
    > PC won't boot anymore; it posts correctly, but just won't boot the OS
    > after installing the video drivers.

    What OS? DOS. FRee Dos? Unix?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/