!Just finished installing XP SP2 from CDROM.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Actual install time including reboot was under 30 minutes.

    Initial reboot was slow but reloaded all previous settings and themes
    successfully.

    The only minor problem was that the system tray did not show all the startup
    icons, even thought the 10+ extra utils and programmes that start did start
    OK.

    After 2 - 3 reboots the icons re-appeared, and after running a BootVis
    optimise and trace reboot to desktop is back down to 24 seconds....

    XP SP2 did however remove the Google toolbar. On reinstalling the Google
    toolbar, it popped up a warning that BHO's were disabled, but they were
    re-enabled OK by the re-install.

    Over all it's been a painless upgrade for me.... :)

    PS: I cant tell you where I got the CDRom from, I have been sworn to
    secrecy. ;-)

    It will be available on NZ PC Worlds September issue next week, and you can
    order it from the MS NZ web site as well.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Max Burke wrote:
    > XP SP2 did however remove the Google toolbar. On reinstalling the Google
    > toolbar, it popped up a warning that BHO's were disabled, but they were
    > re-enabled OK by the re-install.

    it doesnt remove it, it just disables it, and it can be re-enabled again
    painlessly.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:
    >> XP SP2 did however remove the Google toolbar. On reinstalling the
    >> Google toolbar, it popped up a warning that BHO's were disabled, but
    >> they were re-enabled OK by the re-install.

    > it doesnt remove it, it just disables it, and it can be re-enabled
    > again painlessly.

    But I like making things *difficult*.... ;-)

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Max Burke

    Troglodyte Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Actual install time including reboot was under 30 minutes.
    >
    > Initial reboot was slow but reloaded all previous settings and themes
    > successfully.
    >
    > The only minor problem was that the system tray did not show all the
    > startup icons, even thought the 10+ extra utils and programmes that
    > start did start OK.
    >
    > After 2 - 3 reboots the icons re-appeared, and after running a BootVis
    > optimise and trace reboot to desktop is back down to 24 seconds....
    >
    > XP SP2 did however remove the Google toolbar. On reinstalling the Google
    > toolbar, it popped up a warning that BHO's were disabled, but they were
    > re-enabled OK by the re-install.
    >
    > Over all it's been a painless upgrade for me.... :)
    >
    > PS: I cant tell you where I got the CDRom from, I have been sworn to
    > secrecy. ;-)
    >
    > It will be available on NZ PC Worlds September issue next week, and you
    > can order it from the MS NZ web site as well.

    or you can just ring em up and they will send you one. In theory anyway.
    Aint got it yet but....... Took me about 15 mins before I got an
    answer tho but thats cool. I had nothing to do while reinstalling anyways

    Troglodyte, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Max Burke

    Rentakill Guest

    You could just download it from the net then Burn to Cd..
    Took just on an Hour to download 266mb..

    Installed it on three systems so far without any problems..
    Approx 30 Mins of installation time

    Rentakill, Aug 29, 2004
  6. Max Burke

    Mangee Guest

    Re: !Just finished installing XP SP2 from CDROM..... and it didn't like me

    My install didn't go as well...

    It turns out that several new computers may have problems after the first
    boot following the XP SP2 install. Seems to be only some (Intel
    Prescott?) CPUs -- something to do with microcodes and such like?

    The full gory details at
    http://yomcat.geek.nz/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=185&blogId=4

    So if you have a computer purchased in the last few months.. do your
    homework before plunging in. Once I got it going (take 2) -- it runs
    great. No worries.

    -Jo

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:02:51 +1200, Max Burke <>
    wrote:
    !Just finished installing XP SP2 from CDROM.....
    > Actual install time including reboot was under 30 minutes.

    <snip>

    Mangee, Oct 3, 2004