JUST ANOTHER NIGHT AT THE OLD BALLYARD!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by annika1980, Aug 25, 2007.

  1. annika1980

    annika1980 Guest

    Another hot 105° day in Paradise today, but we had threatening skies
    around sundown so it wasn't so hot at the old ballpark tonight. Just
    muggy as Hell. A capacity crowd filled AT&T Field to watch the
    Chattanooga Lookouts lose their last home game of the season.
    Righthander, Johnny Cueto struck out 11 in a losing effort.
    http://www.pbase.com/image/84423726

    Most of the fans were there to try to win a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
    that the Lookouts were giving away to one lucky winner after the
    game. It was the culmination of a season-long promotion where 10
    people qualified at each home game.

    I won't bore you with the details since they can be found here:
    http://www.lookouts.com/images/pdf/ToyotaFJCruiserGiveawayRules.pdf

    OK, now I'll bore you....

    Each qualifier was given a key of a certain color. There were 10
    different colored keys in all and there were probably 70-100 people
    with each color. During the game they would eliminate all the colors
    except one and everyone holding that color key would go down on the
    field after the game and draw a new key.
    Only one of the new keys would unlock the vehicle.

    I'm about the unluckiest sumbitch you've ever seen when it comes to
    winning anything, but I did enter online one day and was surprised
    when a Yellow key showed up in the mail with 4 tickets to the final
    game. So I had to go.

    In the 7th inning they eliminated three colors. Yellow was still
    alive!

    The 8th inning couldn't get there fast enough for me. I just wanted
    to go home since I was tired from standing the whole game taking
    pics. Three more colors were eliminated, but yellow was not among
    them. This is too cruel. But I just kept thinking, "Tonight is my
    night. I'm due."

    The 9th inning came and the final 3 colors were eliminated. The color
    that remained was ..... YELLOW!

    So me and about 100 other people with Yellow keys were told to line up
    and we stood for the whole 9th inning, which mercifully passed without
    a hit or any runs being scored.
    We go down on the field and line up down the 1st base line. There
    were at least 70-100 of us, just as I had predicted and one-by-one
    they would announce the name of the next person in line and that
    person would draw a new key. Then that person would go and see if the
    new key unlocked the car. This took forever as most people would
    stick the key in, take it out and try it again. Somehow I ended up
    near the end of the line amongst a bunch of drunks. One guy had his
    beer confiscated by a cop on the field. I told him that he might win
    the car and get arrested for DUI in front of 6,398 people.

    Anyway, it seemed like another hour passed as each person trudged up
    to try their luck and then trudged back. I told the lady in line in
    front of me that our odds were getting better with every failed key
    turn. I think I was the 6th person from the end so I didn't think I'd
    get a chance since someone would likely win before I got there. But
    the keys kept failing to unlock the door.

    "Tonight is my night. Tonight is my night."

    I was dead calm as I got closer and closer to the FJ Cruiser. I was
    steeling myself for the eventual disappointment when the lady right in
    front of me wins the car. But she walked up there, put the key in,
    and ........nothing. It was my turn! I asked one of the girls
    running the show to hold my 20D and the 400 f/5.6L attached so I
    wouldn't throw it or something. Then I reached into the batting
    helmet to draw out my new key. My fingers immediately hit one
    particular key, but for some reason I moved it aside and grabbed the
    one underneath it.

    "Tonight is my night!"

    I held the key to the Heavens as I walked up to the Toyota. This got
    only a small pop from the crowd, who were no doubt growing weary of
    the whole thing and looking forward to the fireworks afterwards. I
    put the key in the lock and turned. It felt like it turned the
    correct amount, but I didn't hear the door unlock. So I figured maybe
    I should pull the handle and so I did.

    The door opened.

    Take that, Bad Luck! Tonight is MY night!

    I put on a little show for the crowd, ala Hulk Hogan.
    The Toyota guy came over to shake my hand and tell me that I'd have to
    pay title, taxes, and all that crap on it. I said, "No problem," not
    knowing where I was gonna get the money to pay it.
    Some guy took my pic with a Nikon, and I didn't even care.
    I was one sweaty, fat happy bastard!

    After the festivities I left the stadium and walked the two blocks
    back to my car. The fireworks were exploding overhead as I waited for
    the light to change to cross the street. A family of four was
    standing there and the lady says, "Hey, you're the guy who won the
    car!"

    "Just another night at the old ballpark, ma'am."

    WHO RULES ???
    annika1980, Aug 25, 2007

  2. "annika1980" <> wrote in message
[...]

    Congratulations :)

    So when you going to post some pics for us :)
    --
    We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed
    in. Some of us just go one god further.
    Atheist Chaplain, Aug 25, 2007

  3. annika1980

    zumafan Guest

    > I held the key to the Heavens as I walked up to the Toyota. This got
    > only a small pop from the crowd, who were no doubt growing weary of
    > the whole thing and looking forward to the fireworks afterwards. I
    > put the key in the lock and turned. It felt like it turned the
    > correct amount, but I didn't hear the door unlock. So I figured maybe
    > I should pull the handle and so I did.
    >
    > The door opened.
    >
    > Take that, Bad Luck! Tonight is MY night!
    >
    > I put on a little show for the crowd, ala Hulk Hogan.
    > The Toyota guy came over to shake my hand and tell me that I'd have to
    > pay title, taxes, and all that crap on it. I said, "No problem," not
    > knowing where I was gonna get the money to pay it.
    > Some guy took my pic with a Nikon, and I didn't even care.
    > I was one sweaty, fat happy bastard!

    > "Just another night at the old ballpark, ma'am."
    >
    > WHO RULES ???

    Shirley you're dead to...Danica Patrick?
    zumafan, Aug 25, 2007
  4. annika1980

    gpaleo Guest

    Ï "annika1980" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    Another hot 105° day in Paradise today, but we had threatening skies
    around sundown so it wasn't so hot at the old ballpark tonight. Just
    muggy as Hell. A capacity crowd filled AT&T Field to watch the
    Chattanooga Lookouts lose their last home game of the season.
    Righthander, Johnny Cueto struck out 11 in a losing effort.
    http://www.pbase.com/image/84423726

    Excellent shot.
    gpaleo, Aug 25, 2007
  5. annika1980 wrote:

    > I put on a little show for the crowd, ala Hulk Hogan.
    > The Toyota guy came over to shake my hand and tell me that I'd have to
    > pay title, taxes, and all that crap on it. I said, "No problem," not
    > knowing where I was gonna get the money to pay it.
    > Some guy took my pic with a Nikon, and I didn't even care.
    > I was one sweaty, fat happy bastard!

    Congrats! It looks like you had a great night at the old ballpark? Now you
    have no excuse not to get the 600/4L and Mk III you always wanted since the
    Toyota has enough cargo space in the back. Then again, the new Nikon D3
    looks mighty sweet. Congratulations and enjoy.

    Rita

    Kommienezuspadt, Aug 25, 2007
  7. annika1980

    JohnR66 Guest

    You lucky sumbitch!

    If your old car is worth anything, I'd have my eye out on some new gear. So
    what camera or lenses would you get?
    I'd be eyeing a 500 f/4 L IS
    John
    JohnR66, Aug 25, 2007
  8. annika1980

    N Guest

[...]

    -----------------------

    Well done Bret! Congratulations.
    N, Aug 25, 2007
  9. annika1980

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:19:59 -0700, annika1980 <> wrote:
    : I was dead calm as I got closer and closer to the FJ Cruiser. I was
    : steeling myself for the eventual disappointment when the lady right in
    : front of me wins the car. But she walked up there, put the key in,
    : and ........nothing. It was my turn! I asked one of the girls
    : running the show to hold my 20D and the 400 f/5.6L attached so I
    : wouldn't throw it or something. Then I reached into the batting
    : helmet to draw out my new key. My fingers immediately hit one
    : particular key, but for some reason I moved it aside and grabbed the
    : one underneath it.
    :
    : "Tonight is my night!"
    :
    : I held the key to the Heavens as I walked up to the Toyota. This got
    : only a small pop from the crowd, who were no doubt growing weary of
    : the whole thing and looking forward to the fireworks afterwards. I
    : put the key in the lock and turned. It felt like it turned the
    : correct amount, but I didn't hear the door unlock. So I figured maybe
    : I should pull the handle and so I did.
    :
    : The door opened.
    :
    : Take that, Bad Luck! Tonight is MY night!
    :
    : I put on a little show for the crowd, ala Hulk Hogan.
    : The Toyota guy came over to shake my hand and tell me that I'd have to
    : pay title, taxes, and all that crap on it. I said, "No problem," not
    : knowing where I was gonna get the money to pay it. ...

    Sell your old car to pay the charges on the new one, and hock your 20D body
    for the down payment on a 40D. With your new celebrity status, you don't want
    to be seen about town with an old camera!

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 25, 2007
  10. annika1980

    Bow Tie Guest

    On Aug 25, 12:19 am, annika1980 <> wrote:
    > Another hot 105° day in Paradise today, but we had threatening skies
    > around sundown so it wasn't so hot at the old ballpark tonight. Just
    > muggy as Hell. A capacity crowd filled AT&T Field to watch the
    > Chattanooga Lookouts lose their last home game of the season.
    > Righthander, Johnny Cueto struck out 11 in a losing effort.http://www.pbase.com/image/84423726

    You really won the car?

    Great! Don't forget to pay your taxes.

    Ken
    Bow Tie, Aug 25, 2007
  11. annika1980

    Carbon Guest

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:19:59 -0700, annika1980 wrote:

    > I held the key to the Heavens as I walked up to the Toyota. This got
    > only a small pop from the crowd, who were no doubt growing weary of the
    > whole thing and looking forward to the fireworks afterwards. I put the
    > key in the lock and turned. It felt like it turned the correct amount,
    > but I didn't hear the door unlock. So I figured maybe I should pull the
    > handle and so I did.
    >
    > The door opened.

    Lucky bastard. :)
    Carbon, Aug 25, 2007
  12. annika1980

    dwight Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > annika1980 wrote:
    >
    >> I put on a little show for the crowd, ala Hulk Hogan.
    >> The Toyota guy came over to shake my hand and tell me that I'd have to
    >> pay title, taxes, and all that crap on it. I said, "No problem," not
    >> knowing where I was gonna get the money to pay it.
    >> Some guy took my pic with a Nikon, and I didn't even care.
    >> I was one sweaty, fat happy bastard!

    > Congrats! It looks like you had a great night at the old ballpark? Now
    > you
    > have no excuse not to get the 600/4L and Mk III you always wanted since
    > the
    > Toyota has enough cargo space in the back. Then again, the new Nikon D3
    > looks mighty sweet. Congratulations and enjoy.
    >
    > Rita

    Gonna have to sell SOMETHING, just to pay the taxes on the Toyota.
    Hopefully, enough left over from that sale to "upgrade."

    :()
    dwight, Aug 25, 2007
  13. annika1980

    Mike Russell Guest

    Good for you! Excellent pix as well.

    If selling your old car won't get you up to a Mk III, perhaps you should
    sell the new one instead :)
    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com
    Mike Russell, Aug 25, 2007
  14. On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:19:59 -0700, annika1980 <>
    wrote:

    >Another hot 105° day in Paradise today, but we had threatening skies
    >around sundown so it wasn't so hot at the old ballpark tonight. Just
    >muggy as Hell. A capacity crowd filled AT&T Field to watch the
    >Chattanooga Lookouts lose their last home game of the season.
    >Righthander, Johnny Cueto struck out 11 in a losing effort.
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/84423726

    Very nice! So, next you, you have no damn excuse for not coming to
    RSG Cincinnati.

    PS -- What does "FJ" stand for, anyway?
    --
    jvdp
    http://www.rsgcincinnati.com
    John van der Pflum, Aug 25, 2007
  15. annika1980

    Jer Guest

    John van der Pflum wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:19:59 -0700, annika1980 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Another hot 105° day in Paradise today, but we had threatening skies
    >> around sundown so it wasn't so hot at the old ballpark tonight. Just
    >> muggy as Hell. A capacity crowd filled AT&T Field to watch the
    >> Chattanooga Lookouts lose their last home game of the season.
    >> Righthander, Johnny Cueto struck out 11 in a losing effort.
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/84423726
    >>

    > Very nice! So, next you, you have no damn excuse for not coming to
    > RSG Cincinnati.
    >
    > PS -- What does "FJ" stand for, anyway?

    Faux Jeep :)

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Aug 25, 2007
  16. annika1980

    Birdie Bill Guest

    On Aug 25, 12:19 am, annika1980 <> wrote:
    > WHO RULES ???

    Some people have all the luck! How come you won
    and I never win? Whaaaaaaa!

    :)
    Birdie Bill, Aug 25, 2007
  17. annika1980

    Tom Yost Guest

    wrote:

    > ... the lady says, "Hey, you're the guy who won the
    >car!"
    >
    >"Just another night at the old ballpark, ma'am."
    >
    >WHO RULES ???

    You rule Bret. Congratulations! Do you wonder if maybe someone else's
    key actually unlocked the door, but you were the first person to try
    to open the door?

    By the way, the Reds will be calling for all your pitchers soon!

    Tom
    Tom Yost, Aug 25, 2007
  18. annika1980

    greenkeeper Guest

    In message <>, John van der
    Pflum <> writes
    >On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:19:59 -0700, annika1980 <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Another hot 105° day in Paradise today, but we had threatening skies
    >>around sundown so it wasn't so hot at the old ballpark tonight. Just
    >>muggy as Hell. A capacity crowd filled AT&T Field to watch the
    >>Chattanooga Lookouts lose their last home game of the season.
    >>Righthander, Johnny Cueto struck out 11 in a losing effort.
    >>http://www.pbase.com/image/84423726
    >>

    >Very nice! So, next you, you have no damn excuse for not coming to
    >RSG Cincinnati.
    >
    >PS -- What does "FJ" stand for, anyway?

    F****ing Jammy!! (That means exceedingly lucky BTW!)

    Well done. I will be thinking of you all when I play here in 6 weeks!!

    http://www.pbase.com/alancampbell/image/64551905/medium
    --
    alan
    greenkeeper, Aug 25, 2007
  19. annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/25/07 12:19 AM, in article
    , "annika1980"
    <> wrote:

    > OK, now I'll bore you....
    >
    > I held the key to the Heavens as I walked up to the Toyota. This got
    > only a small pop from the crowd, who were no doubt growing weary of
    > the whole thing and looking forward to the fireworks afterwards. I
    > put the key in the lock and turned. It felt like it turned the
    > correct amount, but I didn't hear the door unlock. So I figured maybe
    > I should pull the handle and so I did.
    >
    > The door opened.
    >
    > Take that, Bad Luck! Tonight is MY night!
    >
    > I put on a little show for the crowd, ala Hulk Hogan.
    > The Toyota guy came over to shake my hand and tell me that I'd have to
    > pay title, taxes, and all that crap on it. I said, "No problem," not
    > knowing where I was gonna get the money to pay it.
    > Some guy took my pic with a Nikon, and I didn't even care.
    > I was one sweaty, fat happy bastard!

    Does this mean that you will stop ranting against Conservatives?

    I guess if the key didn't work you woulda blamed "W".

    Seriously, congratulations!

    Way to go, B.
    George Kerby, Aug 25, 2007
  20. annika1980

    Guest

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:01:50 -0700, Birdie Bill
    <> wrote:

    >On Aug 25, 12:19 am, annika1980 <> wrote:
    >> WHO RULES ???

    >Some people have all the luck! How come you won
    >and I never win? Whaaaaaaa!
    >
    >:)

    Damn...the only thing I ever won was an album...Rufus Thomas...Walkin'
    the Dog.

    --
    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX
    http://davidclary.com